Jeopardy calendar this year: YAWN.

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Jeopardy calendar this year: YAWN.

Post by heelsrule1988 »

I don't know how many of you get the Jeopardy calendar each year, but for those of you that do... has this year's been insanely easy, or what? Especially in the last few months. I'm at $115,000 right now... that's easily my best ever. Prior to this year, I've never reached the $100K mark. Hopefully they'll step it up for 2012.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Jeopardy calendar this year: YAWN.

Post by Volante »

Well, there's also the option that you're getting smarter :D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

heelsrule1988 wrote:I don't know how many of you get the Jeopardy calendar each year, but for those of you that do... has this year's been insanely easy, or what? Especially in the last few months. I'm at $115,000 right now... that's easily my best ever. Prior to this year, I've never reached the $100K mark. Hopefully they'll step it up for 2012.
I've gotten one every year for the last dozen or so. Never got much interested in keeping dollar scores, although I keep track of my percentage of correct answers (J! fits in so well with my OCD tendencies). I ordinarily score around 90%, and this year seems about the same.

I don't mind the "smart feeling" I get from getting a whole bunch right.
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

It's never occurred to me to bother with a Coryat score for a calendar and I'm pretty happy about that.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

It seems that J! "dumbs down" their mass distribution materials that contain clues (the Wii game, the FB game, the iPhone game, the calendar, etc.) I suppose to make people feel smarter (hey, look at this, Mabel, these are Jeopardy! clues and I'm getting them right!) The only officially sanctioned J! thing they don't "dumb down" it seems is the online tests, and thank God for that!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote:It seems that J! "dumbs down" their mass distribution materials that contain clues (the Wii game, the FB game, the iPhone game, the calendar, etc.) I suppose to make people feel smarter (hey, look at this, Mabel, these are Jeopardy! clues and I'm getting them right!) The only officially sanctioned J! thing they don't "dumb down" it seems is the online tests, and thank God for that!
Well, as far as video games go, until speech recognition becomes flawless, they have to be slightly dumbed down. The NES Jeopardy game I had required you to spell in the answer. Think about that for a second. Need help?

Exactly.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

I stopped playing Jeopardy! on the PC about 15 years ago after having the following experience while playing against my very competitive neighbour:
He typed in "mic" in response to a clue where the expected response was "Michael Jackson", and was ruled correct. I typed "rumplestiltski" before time ran out on a clue very similar to the one above, and was ruled incorrect.

So I don't think it's a case of 'dumbing down'.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote:I stopped playing Jeopardy! on the PC about 15 years ago after having the following experience while playing against my very competitive neighbour:
He typed in "mic" in response to a clue where the expected response was "Michael Jackson", and was ruled correct. I typed "rumplestiltski" before time ran out on a clue very similar to the one above, and was ruled incorrect.

So I don't think it's a case of 'dumbing down'.

Brian
This is probably why the Wii*, FB, and iPhone games are all multiple choice.

* The Wii has the option of non multiple choice, except for FJ, which is the level I always play it at, but since you can type in the first few characters and it will come up with a list of words that are pre-programmed in to help you, you still know if you're way off (because your option isn't coming up, thus isn't a correct answer) and probably have time to guess again.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Wimple
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by Wimple »

Volante wrote:
dhkendall wrote:It seems that J! "dumbs down" their mass distribution materials that contain clues (the Wii game, the FB game, the iPhone game, the calendar, etc.) I suppose to make people feel smarter (hey, look at this, Mabel, these are Jeopardy! clues and I'm getting them right!) The only officially sanctioned J! thing they don't "dumb down" it seems is the online tests, and thank God for that!
Well, as far as video games go, until speech recognition becomes flawless, they have to be slightly dumbed down. The NES Jeopardy game I had required you to spell in the answer. Think about that for a second. Need help?

Exactly.
Ha! I remember that clue coming up! Don't think I played much after that (besides, I'm a terrible speller).
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

So, no hot women of Jeopardy! calendar? :(
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Vanya wrote:So, no hot women of Jeopardy! calendar? :(
*sigh*
I guess not.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
AlphaDummy
Valued Contributor

Post by AlphaDummy »

You could always package them with cigars... :P
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Volante wrote:Well, there's also the option that you're getting smarter :D
Highly doubtful. :P
I heart your avatar. A great, great deal. :D
Tehshigelisok
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by Tehshigelisok »

AlphaDummy wrote:
You could always package them with cigars... :P
Well played. I lol'd myself out of my chair.
Really, I'm TenPoundHammer. Same as always.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

In lieu of a calendar, this might be an appropriate gift for certain J! fans:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/81682701/do ... ndly-cameo

It's a reference to the exceptional episode, "The Doctor Dances".

Rex
spell4yr

Post by spell4yr »

When I was a little kid I had Sports Jeopardy! for the NES and I remember getting marked off on a clue whose correct answer was "Kent Hrbek", because according to the game he spelled his name "Herbeck". So sometimes the game programmers were the issue.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

What would they have done with volleyball's bob ctvrtlik? Seriously, buy a vowel, dude.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Rex Kramer wrote:In lieu of a calendar, this might be an appropriate gift for certain J! fans:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/81682701/do ... ndly-cameo

It's a reference to the exceptional episode, "The Doctor Dances".

Rex
My 16-year-old daughter would have loved this for Christmas!