Monday, January 1, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, January 1, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7666, 2018-01-01

CONTESTANTS
Nick Spicher, a museum educator from Everett, Washington
Lisa McAndrews, an intellectual property attorney from White Plains, New York
Henry Ayoola, a Ph.D. student from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (whose 1-day cash winnings total $14,800)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Happy New Year, everyone. If you're a big television fan, today is one of the busiest days of the year. We've got the parades. We've got the football games. We've got Jeopardy!. And I hope also that today is the beginning of a great year for all of us. Nick, Lisa, Henry--good luck. Here we go. Jeopardy! Round. And these categories are now in play...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BEASTLY POETRY FILL-IN (1/3, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LET'S GET ORGANIZED (5/5)
POPCORN (5/5)
BAND STANDS (3/5)
ANNUAL EVENTS (5/5)
WHAT A Q____T! (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Nick: 12 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Lisa: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W
Henry: 3 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Nick: $5,400
Lisa: $1,400
Henry: -$1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Nick Spicher is a museum educator from the state of Washington. That sounds like serious work. But I know that you have visited, I think, at last count, 130 microbreweries in the state of Washington?

Nick: In Oregon and Washington.

Alex: Oh, I see. So you spread it over--

Nick: Northwest.

Alex: And I assume you tasted at every one of these.

Nick: Well, that's the idea.

Alex: You're interested--yeah. Any recommendations?

Nick: I was a big fan of the espresso stout at one of my local breweries in Eugene, Oregon, where I used to live.

Alex: Wait a minute. Why not just drink coffee and then have a beer?

Nick: It's kind of the best of both worlds.

Alex: Okay. All right.

Alex: Lisa McAndrews.

Lisa: Hey.

Alex: From White Plains, New York. Your husband is from Ireland.

Lisa: He is.

Alex: He is. And you met on a significant day to the Irish.

Lisa: We did. We met on St. Patrick's Day.

Alex: And did you meet in a significant place?

Lisa: We met in a bar in Boston.

Alex: In Boston?

Lisa: Before noon.

[Laughter]

Alex: Enough said. Enough said.

Alex: Henry Ayoola from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, is a Ph.D. student who likes to paint in his spare time. And you are a huge fan of an artist that I'm not familiar with. His name is Bob Ross?

Henry: Bob Ross, yeah. The happy--happy tree painter you might have heard of? No? Never mind.

[Laughter]

Henry: Yeah, he had a show on PBS for many years, painting landscapes and--it's not ringing a bell?

Alex: No, it isn't. That shows you the limit of my education, folks. But I'm learning. That's why I keep hosting this show. I learn every time out.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Henry found the Daily Double on the 17th clue. Henry was in the hole with -$200, Lisa had $400, and Nick was at $5,400. Henry wagered $500.

BEASTLY POETRY FILL-IN $600: "For the strength of the pack is the ____, and the strength of the ____ is the pack"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BEASTLY POETRY FILL-IN $200: "The time to tickle a ____, is before, or right after, a blizzard"

BEASTLY POETRY FILL-IN $400: "The Rum Tum Tugger is a curious ____"

BAND STANDS $1000: Run the Jewels, featuring El-P and this Atlanta activist, teamed with the New York Times for a Top 10 list of protest songs

BAND STANDS $800: Roger Waters, known for using a huge inflatable one of these to convey political messages, had one fly away in 2008
(Lisa: What is Pink Floyd?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Nick: $8,400
Lisa: $800
Henry: $300
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, January 1, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SAVED BY THE BELA (2/2)
FLAGS (5/5)
MUSIC & LITERATURE BEFORE & AFTER (3/5)
3-LETTER RESPONSES (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
SIKH (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
YOU SHALL FIND (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Lisa: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Henry: 5 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Nick: 5 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Henry snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Henry had $5,100, Lisa had $2,400, and Nick was at $9,600. Henry wagered $4,000.

3-LETTER RESPONSES $1600: During a 3-day alumni reunion in 1916, it moved from Boston's Back Bay to Cambridge
(Alex: Henry, anything?)
(Henry: Wh--)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Lisa who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 24th clue. Henry had $1,100, Lisa had $9,600, and Nick was at $8,800. Lisa wagered $2,000.

SIKH $1600: In the 17th century Gobind, the 10th leader, asked all Sikh men to add this word meaning "lion" to their names
(Alex: Lisa?)
(Lisa: What is...)
(Alex: We have less than a minute now.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MUSIC & LITERATURE BEFORE & AFTER $1600: A song by Coolio from "Dangerous Minds" goes back in time to become a 1667 John Milton classic
(Nick: What is "Gangster's Paradise Lost"?)
[Originally ruled correct; ruled incorrect before the second Daily Double]

MUSIC & LITERATURE BEFORE & AFTER $2000: A John le Carre espionage novel hits the "Speed Of Sound" with a British band

YOU SHALL FIND $1200: Some of the best photography in the last 120-plus years can be found at this magazine's "Found" Tumblr site
(Nick: What is Life?)

YOU SHALL FIND $1600: Swampy is this type of animal looking for the water for his shower in the app "Where's My Water?"

SIKH $400: Sikhs refer to their religion as Gurmat, or "the way of" this type of teacher/leader

SIKH $2000: The Sanskrit words amrta, "nectar of immortality", & saras, "pool", give us this name for Sikhism's holy city

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Nick: $10,000
Lisa: $7,600
Henry: $1,100

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PLACES IN 1950s NEWS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Nick: Wager $5,201 to cover Lisa, but no more than $7,799 so as not to fall behind Henry's doubled score. If you're a fan of shoretegic wagering, you might risk $3,001.
Lisa: You ought to wager between $2,401 (venusian) and $2,800 (martian), thereby safely covering a $0 bet by Nick.
Henry: Too bad for you, Henry, your score is less than Nick's score minus Lisa's score. Unless they both commit an egregious wagering error, you've no hope of moving into first place. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Pravda reported that Khrushchev, on his way to lunch, announced his decision to give this region to Ukraine

FINAL SCORES
Henry: $1,100 + $0 = $1,100 (What is Crimea?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Lisa: $7,600 - $7,599 = $1 (What is Checyna) (3rd place: $1,000)
Nick: $10,000 + $5,201 = $15,201 (What is Crimea?) (New champion: $15,201)
(Alex: [To Henry] Very much in the news in the last couple of years.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Nick: $10,000, 17 R, 2 W
Lisa: $9,600, 18 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Henry: $5,200, 8 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $24,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Nick: 18/58 = .310
Lisa: 18/59 = .305
Henry: 9/60 = .150
Team: 45/63 = .714

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
POPCORN $600: This product from Orville Redenbacher's is "a little sweet, a little salty--and a whole lot of yummy"
(Henry: What is caramel corn?)

ANNUAL EVENTS $200: The 1926 Rose Queen Fay Lanphier was also the winner of this pageant, the only holder of both titles at once

WHAT A Q____T! $800: A 90-degree arc
(Henry: What is a chord?)

WHAT A Q____T! $1000: Quiet, but with the possibility of coming back to life
(Lisa: What is...)
(Alex: Say it.)
(Lisa: I don't know.)

LET'S GET ORGANIZED $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows a military chart on the monitor.) In the U.S. Army, a major general commands a division; colonels, lieutenant colonels & captains each have assigned units & a lieutenant heads up this group of 16 to 40 soldiers, also the title of a 1986 Oscar-winning movie

POPCORN $1000: In 1914 America got its first commercial popcorn brand, this one with an upbeat name
(Lisa: What is Jiffy?)

BAND STANDS $200: Standing up to those who accused them of being creeps, Thom Yorke & this band played Tel Aviv in 2017
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

BAND STANDS $600: MC5 guitarist Wayne Kramer played protests at 2 of these--in Chicago in 1968 & Denver in 2008
(Nick: What are political conventions?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)

FLAGS $800: To see this flag fly in its native land, you might travel above 20,000 feet

FLAGS $1200: The flag seen here represents the nation-state led by this person
(Henry: Who is the pope?)
(Alex: And I need you to be more specific. Who's the pope now?)
(Henry: Who is Pope... Benedict?)

FLAGS $1600: Not the Star of David, but a pentagram associated with King Solomon is on the flag of this north African monarchy

MUSIC & LITERATURE BEFORE & AFTER $1200: A Black Eyed Peas man meets up with a Shakespearean style of writing
(Lisa: What is will.i.am... biambic pentameter?)
[Accepted without remark]

SAVED BY THE BELA $800: On Dec. 20, 1918 Bela Kun, a disciple of Lenin, founded this party in Hungary
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
a wolf
a lizard
a curious cat
Killer Mike
an inflatable pig
MIT
Singh
"Gangsta's Paradise Lost"
The Spy Who Came in From the Coldplay
National Geographic
an alligator
the guru
Amritsar
Crimea
kettle corn
Miss America pageant
a quadrant
quiescent
a platoon
Jolly Time
Radiohead
the Democratic National Convention
Nepal
Pope Francis
Morocco
will.i.ambic pentameter
the Communist Party
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PLACES IN 1950s NEWS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Pravda reported that Khrushchev, on his way to lunch, announced his decision to give this region to Ukraine

Henry Ayoola: 1100+0=1100
Lisa McAndrews: 7600-7599=1
Nick Spicher: 10000+5201=15201 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Crimea (Lisa – Checyna)

Daily Doubles
Henry: minus 200+500
Henry: 5100-4000
Lisa: 9600-2000

Coryats
Henry: 5200
Lisa: 9600
Nick: 10000

Combined: 24,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Henry: 300
Lisa: 800
Nick: 8400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The game did not get off to a good start with BEASTLY POETRY FILL-IN $200 a stumper. The clue: “The time to tickle a ___, is before, or right after, a blizzard”

The rhyme makes sense since it’s right there, but I was with the players in starting the game 0-1.

I got ahead of the players on the next one since I know Rum Tum Tugger.

Alex, come on now, everyone knows who Bob Ross is: (an excuse to show this that was in heavy TV ad rotation in December)

I wonder if the writers’ ears perked up and perhaps Bob Ross will get his first hit in the Archive down the line?

Alex busted Henry in FLAGS with the BMS on his, “Who is the Pope?”

“And I need you to be more specific, who is the Pope now?”

Nick got caught for making Coolio’s song title not hood enough as with that reversal he suddenly went from 12000 down to 8800 and in 2nd place.

SAVED BY THE BELA had three clues not played. The Hungarian composer was in J!6, so he’s out for the missing clues. Even using Google and Wikipedia I had trouble finding who might have been there with Fleck (banjo) one guess.

If Lisa had the right area for the FJ! clue I don’t see how Checyna would fly for Chechnya. My spelling for my response was fine. The problem was I wrote Siberia. It’s the kind of clue that will be easy for many grown-ups while I’ll sit at the kiddie table with the others who miss it.

Can Nick get a hair dye job and new specs overnight? It would not take much for him to look even more like Anderson Cooper.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Wasn't missing the first round DD as a former Cub Scout leader!

Asking for the current pope in that flag clue? That is total BS! The clue doesn't indicate that, and it was the flag when both Benedict and Francis were pope. The Gangster/s vs. Gangsta's Paradise clue is also a bogus ruling too, but I'll grudgingly accept that one.

Instaget Final.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:38 pm
Alex, come on now, everyone knows who Bob Ross is: (an excuse to show this that was in heavy TV ad rotation in December)

I wonder if the writers’ ears perked up and perhaps Bob Ross will get his first hit in the Archive down the line?
That was a surprising admission by Alex; I don't know how an adult his age could have never even heard of the guy.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Elijah Baley wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:11 pm That was a surprising admission by Alex; I don't know how an adult his age could have never even heard of the guy.
I bet the CCs assumes he’d heard of him too, which is why it was on the card.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Alex doesn't know who Bob Ross was? For shame.

Ran the Popcorn category.

I recognized absolutely nothing in Band Stands. "Inflatable pig" seemed very esoteric in particular. And who even remembers Radiohead anymore?

FJ! was total word salad to me. Crimea sounds totally unfamiliar to me.

Lach Trash: lizard, alligator
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:58 pm Asking for the current pope in that flag clue? That is total BS! The clue doesn't indicate that, and it was the flag when both Benedict and Francis were pope.
Considering all the crap that they don't BMS that they should? Yeah.
dhkendall wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:58 pmThe Gangster/s vs. Gangsta's Paradise clue is also a bogus ruling too, but I'll grudgingly accept that one.
Here we disagree. It had to be reversed.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:38 pm If Lisa had the right area for the FJ! clue I don’t see how Checyna would fly for Chechnya.
Yeah, that's Nabibia all over again.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:30 pm
dhkendall wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:58 pm Asking for the current pope in that flag clue? That is total BS! The clue doesn't indicate that, and it was the flag when both Benedict and Francis were pope.
Considering all the crap that they don't BMS that they should? Yeah.
And all the BMSes that are totally unnecessary, such as BMSing a president named Clinton. Or BMSing a very tenuously synonymous word that doesn't quite work in that context at all...
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

That pope BMS was a joke. I'm pissed that they even asked, and even more pissed that it 'worked'.

That Gangster's Paradise reversal might be the saddest thing I've seen on J! in a long time. Sorry, you didn't misspell the word properly :lol:

Never heard of Bob Ross? What the...shame on you, Trebek! Also, just when I had forgotten how tacky that damn Chia Pet was...thanks for that, Mark.

Down 1k, LTaM to go, sure let's head to the top of the category. Never change, J! contestants.

Instaget FJ.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I noted that he said Gangster but assumed that was not something that gets ruled incorrect, but I'm ok with it as its a title.

I had a rough neg myself and said "The MAN who came in from the Coldplay" instead of Spy.

I flaunted my terrible geography skills and went with Georgia for FJ.

This is the second time in a week where they have cut away from the contestants and then cut back while players 1 and 3 shake hands, making it appear as though player 2 was ignored by the other two players.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I noticed the Gangster's thing but assumed they were following the "Singing in the Rain" vs "Waitin' for Godot" rule. I.e. you can correct something like that to its standard form but not vice versa. Now I'm not sure what the rule is.

Really surprised that Pope got BMSed. What was the logic there? It's not the flag of Pope Francis. The additional indignity was allowing Lisa to ring in and get the rebound bucks after being told the correct response was the name of the current pope.

I liked the way Nick stayed cool under pressure.

Is this the first time Alex has indicated that he maybe knows contestants' FJ responses before they're revealed?
calculus21
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by calculus21 »

I thought Alex remains silent or says "we need more information" I am not used to, nor is it fair to ask a different question to help the player along. That is wrong. But hey it's Alex, the guy who is so uninformed he never heard of Bob Ross
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Lisa threw away a thousand dollars with her bet. She can bet 5399, putting pressure on Nick, while still covering Henry in case of a miss.
Lots of trash in the DD: pig, The Spy who Came in from the Coldplay, alligator, guru, the Singh DD, and Amritsar. FJ was easy.
I do not count the Gangsta's Paradise Lost as trash since IMO it should not have been reversed.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

DBear wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:35 pm Lisa threw away a thousand dollars with her bet. She can bet 5399, putting pressure on Nick, while still covering Henry in case of a miss.
Lots of trash in the DD: pig, The Spy who Came in from the Coldplay, alligator, guru, the Singh DD, and Amritsar. FJ was easy.
I do not count the Gangsta's Paradise Lost as trash since IMO it should not have been reversed.
Sorry, but 2800 is a significantly better bet than 5399.
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:37 pm
DBear wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:35 pm Lisa threw away a thousand dollars with her bet. She can bet 5399, putting pressure on Nick, while still covering Henry in case of a miss.
Sorry, but 2800 is a significantly better bet than 5399.
Good catch.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:08 pm I noticed the Gangster's thing but assumed they were following the "Singing in the Rain" vs "Waitin' for Godot" rule. I.e. you can correct something like that to its standard form but not vice versa. Now I'm not sure what the rule is.

Really surprised that Pope got BMSed. What was the logic there? It's not the flag of Pope Francis. The additional indignity was allowing Lisa to ring in and get the rebound bucks after being told the correct response was the name of the current pope.

I liked the way Nick stayed cool under pressure.

Is this the first time Alex has indicated that he maybe knows contestants' FJ responses before they're revealed?
Posters have been saying that this is the case for years but tonight was the clearest evidence I've ever seen for it.
Maybe the Pope BMS was the sign of a new policy? And the "Gangsta" reversal that "Singing in the Rain" will no longer be acceptable?
If not, the first ruling was outrageous and the second one marginally unfair...

A weird FJ clue. The category was really "Places in 1950s News That are More Significantly Places in Contemporary News."
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Anyone have the wording on the Pope clue? I couldn't believe the BMS.