Wednesday, January 3, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, January 3, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Peter the accountant »

One more general comment.

You've got to wonder about what goes on in the writers' staff meetings. How do they get from a "diets" category to a board filled with categories sounding like various diets?
--Peter
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Peter the accountant wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:01 pm
squarekara wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:54 pm
tiwonge wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:34 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:53 pm So, would they accept "The Barber of Seville" as a response?
This is all I could come up with, too, as I blanked on the name. I knew that the Looney Tunes had sung it too, but still couldn't come up with it. You failed me, Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd.
As an opera fan and a Looney Tunes fan, I recommend Long-haired Hare as a refresher on this topic. (Look for the alum gag.) Maybe someone with the necessary skills can post a link to this Bugs v. Giovanni Jones classic. Zerobandwidth?
On a quick search, I found the beginning and end. There's a bit of plot missing between the two, but I suspect these will get the gist of the episode.

Thank you, P. the A!
Yes, there are a few gags missing after Bugs declares "war" and prior to his entrance as "Leopold." Most notably Bugs swaps Giovanni's throat spray for some alum concoction which, of course, causes the singer's head to shrink and forces his voice into a higher and higher pitch during his big cadenza: "FEE-GARO, FEE-GARO, Fee-garo, etc." Bugs also dons Bobbysoxer drag to get the singer's autograph and hands him a stick of dynamite to write with. Love it.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

squarekara wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:13 pm And for what it's worth, Marriage is the funniest musical comedy EVAH!
It is indeed. I remember laughing out loud just reading the libretto.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

OrangeSAM wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:15 am
CailinGaoilge wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:58 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:54 pm
nklotz wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:58 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:45 pm
Dash buttons + dash wand = could be any company you order from. I negged with eBay, and figured there were a lot more that were equally cromulent.
Surely you have ordered from Amazon before? These are advertised pretty heavily on their homepage.
I'm with TPH on this one. I shop on Amazon all the time and hadn't heard of either the dash button or dash wand.
Me too - I'm even a Prime member. But scrolling through both the US and Canadian sites, I can't see anything that could be called a 'dash button' or a 'dash wand'.
Really, folks? Amazon has advertised them on TV.
The only Amazon ad I've seen on TV is the recent one featuring their Smile boxes (Christmas).

Mind, I am in Canada and some ads are "sim-subbed" when watching US channels, so there are many American ads I would miss, even if I happen to be watching the right channels in order to see specific ads.
CailinGaoilge

Post by CailinGaoilge »

nklotz wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:37 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:54 pm
nklotz wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:58 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:45 pm
Dash buttons + dash wand = could be any company you order from. I negged with eBay, and figured there were a lot more that were equally cromulent.
Surely you have ordered from Amazon before? These are advertised pretty heavily on their homepage.
I'm with TPH on this one. I shop on Amazon all the time and hadn't heard of either the dash button or dash wand.
Weird, I just went to their homepage again and this is the giant banner I see on my sidebar:
Spoiler
Maybe it's different for everyone.
Must be, because I'm looking at the US home page right now (signed in and all as a Prime member) and not seeing those or anything remotely like them.
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:04 pm Must be, because I'm looking at the US home page right now (signed in and all as a Prime member) and not seeing those or anything remotely like them.
They only show up if you buy items (like toothpaste and medicines and earplugs, for me) that may need regular replacement or refills. That's the original point of the physical Dash Buttons - you have them in your house and press the button when you notice you're running low.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

davey wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:53 am
OrangeSAM wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:05 am
Volante wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:43 pm Here's one for the judges:

"Tracts of land with no real boundaries; 'nether' ones can refer to the underworld"

Do you think 'realm' would be accepted for this one too? (Remember: the actual 'realm' clue came after this one)
All I know is I'm spotted 'nether' and I gave 'realm' instantly without question.
I'd say no. "Realm" is singular and the clue is seeking a plural word ("tracts").
But we know that plural clue/singular response is not usually a problem on J!
A better reason to neg is that realms usually do have boundaries.
I'm just glad I wasn't the only one to say "realm" for "region". Of course when the realm clue actually did come up two questions later I was all over it. :)
CailinGaoilge

Post by CailinGaoilge »

mikebdoss wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:06 pm
CailinGaoilge wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:04 pm Must be, because I'm looking at the US home page right now (signed in and all as a Prime member) and not seeing those or anything remotely like them.
They only show up if you buy items (like toothpaste and medicines and earplugs, for me) that may need regular replacement or refills. That's the original point of the physical Dash Buttons - you have them in your house and press the button when you notice you're running low.
Oh! Thanks for the explanation - that certainly clears up why I have never seen them.