Monday, December 26, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, December 26, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6276, 2011-12-26

Jason Keller game 7.

CONTESTANTS
Jack McClintock, a graduate student of aerospace engineering from Westford, Vermont
Andrea Bornschlegel, a corporate controller from Mountain View, California
Jason Keller, a tutor from Highland Park, New Jersey (whose 6-day cash winnings total $147,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny, and thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to the Boxing Day edition of Jeopardy!--in Canada, Boxing Day--here in the United States, clean-up day. You've heard how much money Jason, our champion, has won. He is a force to be reckoned with, Andrea and Jack, so good luck to you, and good luck to you, Jason.

Jason: Thank you.

Alex: Let's go to work now in the Jeopardy! Round. And here are the categories. We start off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FUNDRAISERS (4/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
FAMOUS TOMBS (4/5)
ALSO A BODY PART (4/5)
FOREIGN WORDS & PHRASES (5/5)
SOUP ALPHABET (5/5)
SCIENCE TERMS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jason: 16 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Jack: 8 R, 0 W
Andrea: 3 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jason: $5,600
Jack: $1,600
Andrea: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Welcome back. Take a look at the first player we introduced today, Jack McClintock. He, uh, bears no resemblance to me, and yet, on Halloween, you dressed up as...

Jack: Alex Trebek.

Alex: Uh-huh...

Jack: Yep.

Alex: And what did you do to make yourself look more like me?

Jack: Well, you're a very well-dressed man, so I had to put on my best suit, and I am a little younger than you, so I grayed my hair a little bit, not too much.

Alex: Uh-huh. And you also had a question to present to the people?

Jack: Uh, yeah, a lot of people weren't sure who I was, so, uh, I told 'em, "This Ontario native has had all the answers since 1984." And most pe--

Alex: Good for you. Did you win a prize?

Jack: Uh, no, I didn't.

Alex: Oh. Okay. Most people what? Did they get me?

Jack: Um, most people did, but there were a lot of people who forgot to answer in the form of a question.

Alex: Ahh. That'll cost them.

Alex: Andrea Bornschlegel from Mountain View, California. He mentioned Ontario. I mentioned Canada at the beginning of the program. You bicycled--almost--

Andrea: Half--

Alex: --how far?

Andrea: Halfway across Canada.

Alex: From which half?

Andrea: I started in Vancouver and went a little bit north, down through the Rocky Mountains, and finished in Brandon, Manitoba.

Alex: Ahh. And what was that in honor of, fundraiser of some kind?

Andrea: Um, no, I just had a short sabbatical from work, about five weeks that I was able to ride, and wanted to do something really active and brave, and that's what I chose.

Alex: Yeah, okay.

Alex: All right, Jason Keller is our champion, he's won a lot of money, he's a tutor, and, uh, he does some traveling, and when he travels internationally, he tries to visit one particular American-type, uh, establishment.

Jason: Yeah, I try to find a McDonald's wherever it is that I am internationally.

Alex: And... do they all taste pretty much the same? They use different meats?

Jason: It's quite interesting. Actually, in London, it seemed like they might have been using some recipes that were a little bit older. It seems like maybe some of the new things that McDonald's offers, you know, do taste a little bit differently.

Alex: Okay.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jason found the Daily Double on the 25th clue. Jason had $8,800, Andrea had $400, and Jack was at $3,600. Jason wagered $2,200.

FUNDRAISERS $800: Race for the Cure is a fundraiser for the breast cancer foundation named for this woman, Nancy G. Brinker's sister

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ALSO A BODY PART $600: Florida's state tree is a species of this

FAMOUS TOMBS $400: A statue from this groundbreaking singer & actor's Los Angeles gravesite really jazzes up our category

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jason: $11,600
Jack: $4,400
Andrea: $1,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, December 26, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FUN RAISERS (5/5)
U.S.A. (5/5)
"WAR" & "PEACE" (4/5)
PLAYING THE PONIES (1/2)
BOOKS' FIRST LINES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE LAST (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jason: 11 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Jack: 7 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Andrea: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jack snagged the next Daily Double on the 13th clue. Jason had $16,400, Andrea had $4,200, and Jack was at $8,000. Jack made it a True Daily Double, wagering $8,000.

BOOKS' FIRST LINES $1200: A bestseller
"Renowned curator Jacques Sauniere staggered through the... archway of the museum's Grand Gallery"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Jason who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 19th clue. Jason had $19,200, Andrea had $5,000, and Jack was at $16,000. Jason wagered $2,000.

THE LAST $1600: Francis II was the leader of this empire when it was dissolved in 1806

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"WAR" & "PEACE" $2000: Exodus 20:24 mentions these, to be placed upon an altar of earth

THE LAST $1200: The last of these sent by Western Union on Jan. 27, 2006 included birthday wishes & condolences
(Andrea: What is a telegraph?)
(Alex: No.)
(Andrea: [Quietly] [*].)
(Alex: Yeah, you, uh, corrected yourself, but too late.)

THE LAST $2000: A Japanese officer found hiding on this island country 29 years after WWII was the last fighting soldier to surrender
(Jack: What is Guam?)

PLAYING THE PONIES $1600: Robert Shaw bets on lucky Dan at 4-1 in this movie, but not to place--oops!
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jason: $22,400
Jack: $18,400
Andrea: $7,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
JOLLY OLD ENGLAND

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Jason: Wager $14,401 to cover Jack.
Jack: Try wagering $3,599, which is as much as you can put up against Jason without being usurped by a doubled score on the part of Andrea.
Andrea: You just can't cover a rational wager by Jack, nor can you win on a Triple Stumper. Improve your situation by wagering everything but a few bucks--and then getting Final right!

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Queen Anne liked the Marquess of Normanby, gave him permission to build a huge home in London & made him Duke of this

FINAL SCORES
Andrea: $7,400 - $7,000 = $400 (What is Queensbury?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Jack: $18,400 - $14,400 = $4,000 (What is Duke of York) (2nd place: $2,000)
Jason: $22,400 + $14,500 = $36,900 (What is Windsor Buckingham) (7-day champion: $183,900)
(Alex: That big home has become [*] Palace.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $7,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jason: $20,600, 27 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
Jack: $11,600, 15 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Andrea: $7,400, 8 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $39,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Jason: 28/60 = .467
Jack: 15/59 = .254
Andrea: 8/58 = .138
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
FAMOUS TOMBS $200: Workers of all lands are addressed on his London tombstone

ALSO A BODY PART $1000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew spins the dreidel on the monitor.) When it's your spin of the dreidel, hopefully you don't land on this 21st letter of the Hebrew alphabet, or you'll have to add to the pot

FAMOUS TOMBS $600: "Faithful to the cause of prohibition" begins this sometimes-violent woman's epitaph

FAMOUS TOMBS $800: The headstone of this Hollywood legend is seen here, doc

FAMOUS TOMBS $1000: There's no name in the inscription on this much-visited tomb
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

FUN RAISERS $800: Updrafts keep the pilot aloft in this activity seen here

FUN RAISERS $2000: Look, ma! No plane & no parachute! A Vegas wind tunnel lets you experience indoor this, aka bodyflight
(Andrea: What is free-fall?)
[Initially ruled incorrect; reversed prior to Daily Double at clue 13.]

U.S.A. $400: For tourist information on this state, call 1-800-33-GUMBO
(Alex: Right, with a minute to go.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Susan G. Komen
the palm
Al Jolson
The Da Vinci Code
the Holy Roman Empire
peace offerings
a telegram
the Philippines
The Sting
Buckingham
Karl Marx
shin
Carry Nation
Mel Blanc
the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
hang gliding
skydiving
Louisiana
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Re: Monday, December 26, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

7-day champ :D - $183,900 Major :-D.

And yet, my parents still mock this a bit. Today, there's going to be a plaque in Highland Park for him.

Got final.

With this win, Jason moves into 8th place all time, exactly $1000 behind Tom Walsh.

Also, would Komen be acceptable? Or does it need to be Susan G.?
Last edited by Roadgeek Adam on Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
Tehshigelisok
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by Tehshigelisok »

22/29, 15/27.

Okay, what blatantly obvious TOMs did I miss out on in Tombs for $200 or $400? Just more "recognize the face" type clues? Prosopagnosia fails me again.

And again I say. Why is it my performance in the rest of the game is ALWAYS inversely proportional to my likelihood of getting FJ! right? I had no clue and half-jokingly guessed Duke of Earl just because it was the only Duke I could think of.

Where'd all our time go in DJ!? Was it because she took like 45 seconds to pick the first clue?

Fun Raisers for $400 seemed like it could've been either Ferris Wheel or roller coaster.
Really, I'm TenPoundHammer. Same as always.
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

Tehshigelisok wrote: Okay, what blatantly obvious TOMs did I miss out on in Tombs for $200 or $400? Just more "recognize the face" type clues? Prosopagnosia fails me again.
Road Geek Adam: "Komen" is acceptable.
Formerly TPH: "...really jazzes up our category." Jolson was in "The Jazz Singer." And yeah, recognizing the face.
I got the 200 right but I forget the clue, and my parents are using the TV...
Tehshigelisok

Post by Tehshigelisok »

thejeopardyfan wrote:
Tehshigelisok wrote:I got the 200 right but I forget the clue, and my parents are using the TV...
They showed the guy's face, and it said workers of all lands, unite.
vellore
Jeopardy! Winner....of $1

Post by vellore »

Aw crap, Jason won again. Now I'm going to have to face him tomorrow.
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

Tehshigelisok wrote:
thejeopardyfan wrote:
Tehshigelisok wrote:I got the 200 right but I forget the clue, and my parents are using the TV...
They showed the guy's face, and it said workers of all lands, unite.
Oh yeah yeah yeah. Thanks. That's quite a famous quote of his. If there can be "quotes" Pavlovs, this would be one.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Sorry you ran into such a steamroller, Andrea. Hopefully you had fun up there. Your demeanor was so serious, I was sure you were going to give Jason a run for his money, but the signalling device did not seem to be your friend.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Really? The home was supposed to be the giveaway in FJ? :? :? Answered 'Wellington'.
"Freefall" for "skydiving" should have been ruled correct right away.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

My thought process: "This one's easy, it's where the Queen lives, Westminster!" *facepalm*
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

DBear wrote:Really? The home was supposed to be the giveaway in FJ? :? :?
It's smack-dab in the middle of London, so that's what steered me there.
vellore
Jeopardy! Winner....of $1

Post by vellore »

A little anecdote from today's studio audience:

Alex usually fields questions from the audience during commercial breaks. During the taping of today's show, he wandered downstage to engage his questioners, when he tripped over the riser which protrudes farthest forward (you can see it coming back from commercial break). The audience emitted a collective gasp, Alex righted himself, then cooly removed his right shoe and threw it at the offending piece of the set. I think it was during this question set that he revealed he'd been invited to appear on Dancing With the Stars.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:My thought process: "This one's easy, it's where the Queen lives, Westminster!" *facepalm*
Yep, that's where I went too.
vellore wrote:Aw crap, Jason won again. Now I'm going to have to face him tomorrow.
:D
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
dmleach
Damn Jeopardy! Hooligan

Post by dmleach »

Let Hooligan Week begin! :mrgreen:
vellore wrote:Aw crap, Jason won again. Now I'm going to have to face him tomorrow.
Okay, I LOL'ed loud enough for my girlfriend to ask from the next room what was so funny.

Jack was actually the first of the Hooligans I met - he rode with us on the shuttle from the airport to the hotel. He was so nervous! At first I thought he was just an antsy flier, but the next morning in the restaurant he was pacing around the dining room at breakfast. My best friend Mischelle, who came with me to Culver City, sat next to Jack's parents in the audience. They were so relieved that he was chosen to play in the first game, because we all agreed that if he had to wait any longer he was going to explode.

He then heads for the stage, and all of a sudden looked like he belonged up there. Jack came across so cool and composed, especially in seeing the game for the second time. When he put eight grand up on that Daily Double, it looked like he wasn't even thinking about it, and when he nailed it ALL of us contestants in the cheap seats started whooping it up. He played an amazing game, and against someone other than the equally amazing Jason may well have become a champion himself.

On to Tuesday!
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex eliminated one choice for the FJ category when he talked about Boxing Day in his opening remarks. When I saw the clue I wrote Windsor to have something to do with England and a home. I reread the clue and keyed on London. Buckingham Palace in London? Check. A home? Check. Duke of Buckingham? NHOH. I matched Jason with the cross out to correct.

Al Jolson was in a famous talkie, but I suspect home viewers turned that clue stumper into a yellie?

Nothing like character actors getting a mention. A clue looked for Warden and Alex went to Jack.

Freefall/skydiving caught me trying the wrong thing with zero gravity.

My favorite clue of the night was the one using Lucky Dan from The Sting as I had used that movie reference this morning when a friend called and the possibility of his going to the track was mentioned. He said he would bet on Blue Note and I told him to place it on Lucky Dan. 38 years later that movie has lines still used all the time. The players not completing that category of Playing the Ponies was frustrating.

Anyone wise off with "Philosopher's Stone" on the Potter clue?

Andrea: Tough break with first game of the day and 6x winner Jason.

ETA: Potter was a regular clue and not the DD.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Tehshigelisok wrote:Fun Raisers for $400 seemed like it could've been either Ferris Wheel or roller coaster.
The arcane bit of information needed there was that the first Ferris Wheel was at the Chicago World's Fair of 1893.
OCSam
Tehshigelisok

Post by Tehshigelisok »

MarkBarrett wrote:Anyone wise off with "Philosopher's Stone" on the Potter DD?
I got way off course and said A Series of Unfortunate Events. I gave up on Harry Potter after Goblet of Fire and erased every trace of the books from my memory. Realized I was reading them not because I liked them, but because they were popular and I wanted to "fit in". I still can't get into anything Potter related at all.

Also, I got Da Vinci Code in the same category entirely from the lousy quality of the writing. Thank you, TV Tropes.

(I could fill a book with "Stuff I Got Right on Jeopardy! Just Because I Saw It Once on TV Tropes.")
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

I picked up a few high-value triple stumpers today but gave it away on FJ.

I found it funny that Jason and I both stumbled over the pronunciation of our response to the same clue today. But in the end, he managed to cross out "Windsor" and give the correct response in FJ.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

MarkBarrett wrote:Anyone wise off with "Philosopher's Stone" on the Potter clue?
That was the first I had ever heard of Sorcerer's Stone, and was fully expecting a neg. When it didn't come, I wikied it, and sure enough, a different title for the U.S.

Why the heck would they do that (or more to the point, why would J.K and her people allow it)?

My goodness, it's not enough you have to change pronunciations & spellings of words (not to mention meanings), but you can't even leave book titles alone?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.