Wednesday, January 24, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, January 24, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7683, 2018-01-24

Rachel Lindgren game 4.

CONTESTANTS
Eric Raygor, a pastor from Somerset, Pennsylvania
Del Scott, a data scientist from San Francisco, California
Rachel Lindgren, a fire lookout from Bend, Oregon (whose 3-day cash winnings total $54,200)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Two eager young gentlemen to challenge the lady champion today. Good luck to the three of you. Let's go to work in round number one, shall we? Let's take a look at the categories to start...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE GOLD STANDARD (3/5)
ONLY GEOGRAPHY (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
BALLET (1/3)
SPORTS UPSETS (4/5)
MISS NOMERS (5/5)
"EXO" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Del: 9 R, 0 W
Rachel: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Eric: 5 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 7
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Rachel found the Daily Double on the 12th clue. Rachel had $400, Del had $2,200, and Eric had a deficit with -$800. Rachel wagered $1,000.

ONLY GEOGRAPHY $1000: The only mainland South American country with English as an official language
(Rachel: What is... Suriname?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Del: $3,000
Rachel: $0
Eric: -$400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Eric Raygor is a pastor from Somerset, Pennsylvania who works quite a bit with children. Which means you have to be a pretty good actor.

Eric: Yes, I'm fortunate to work with kids a lot, and sometimes I have different roles. I had to play a spelunker who always got lost. But my favorite role that I got to play a couple years ago was that of a game show host. I love my job, but if I could do anything else, it would be your job.

[Laughter]

Alex: All right, thanks.

Alex: Del Scott, data scientist from San Francisco. We had a contestant on earlier this week who almost got arrested because she was trailing so far behind in a half-marathon. You came in dead last?

Del: It was a 5K race, and I was a little overconfident in my running ability. So after slowly jogging and walking for most of it, I was really close to the finish line, and this 70-plus-year-old woman races right past me. And when I finally crossed the finish line, I turned around, and everybody's closing up shop.

Alex: Yeah. Okay.

Alex: Rachel Lindgren is our champion. She is from Oregon. On one of our programs earlier this year, we had Neil deGrasse Tyson do a whole category for us. You had the opportunity to meet with him.

Rachel: Yeah.

Alex: What was the experience like?

Rachel: So, I found just that day that he was gonna be there, that he was going to give a talk at my school. And I ditched a meeting for it, and it was totally worth it. I was a bit in awe of him.

Alex: Okay.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SPORTS UPSETS $1000: On Aug. 13, 1919 a 100-1 shot came in as this horse lost his only race to the fittingly named Upset

ONLY GEOGRAPHY $400: The only continent without glaciers
(Eric: What is Africa?)
(Rachel: What is Oceania?)

ONLY GEOGRAPHY $800: The only world capital split in half between 2 nations
(Eric: What is Budapest?)

THE GOLD STANDARD $800: To combat the Depression, FDR moved the U.S. off the standard shortly after taking office in this year

THE GOLD STANDARD $1000: Off the standard for decades, the U.S. issues this kind of money backed by decree, Latin for "let it be done"

BALLET $400: "Fall River Legend" is based on her real-life murder trial of the 1890s

BALLET $600: A cowgirl rides a bucking bronco in scene 1 of this Western ballet
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Del: $4,600
Rachel: $2,000
Eric: $400
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE GOLD STANDARDS (5/5)
THE NOT-SO-BIG CATS (5/5)
PITT LIT (1/2)
SOUNDS LIKE MY FIRST MARRIAGE (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
"YOU" TUNES (5/5)
LET'S TALK DESSERT (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Rachel: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Eric: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Del: 5 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Del snagged the next Daily Double on the 25th clue. Rachel had $12,800, Del had $9,800, and Eric was at $4,400. Del wagered $2,500.

SOUNDS LIKE MY FIRST MARRIAGE $1600: Before she was Martha Washington, she was married to a man with this last name
(Del: Who is Johnson?)
(Alex: We have less than a minute now.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LET'S TALK DESSERT $1200: To make bad news easier to bear; it's also done to sweeten some donuts
(Del: What is to glaze?)

LET'S TALK DESSERT $1600: Fair skin is described as this mixture of fruit & dairy, used by Ringo Starr as a descriptive in "You're 16"

SOUNDS LIKE MY FIRST MARRIAGE $2000: In the 1660s Maria Cotton was this Boston preacher's stepsister & first wife

SOUNDS LIKE MY FIRST MARRIAGE $800: In the 6th century Khadijah, 15 years his senior, was the first of his 11 wives

PITT LIT $2000: A nurse is supposed to institutionalize a girl born with Down syndrome in this novel but instead moves to Pittsburgh with her
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Rachel: $12,800
Del: $7,300
Eric: $4,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BUSINESS & INDUSTRY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Rachel: Wager $1,801 to cover Del, but no more than $3,199 so as not to fall behind Eric's doubled score.
Del: You have the hope of surpassing Rachel if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $5,501 to force Rachel to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Eric.
Eric: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This company's first mailers in 1953 offered 20 different magazine subscriptions--prizes came 14 years later

FINAL SCORES
Eric: $4,800 + $4,798 = $9,598 (What is Publisher's Clearinghouse) (2nd place: $2,000)
Del: $7,300 - $5,501 = $1,799 (What is reader's digest?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Rachel: $12,800 - $1,801 = $10,999 (What is Publisher's?) (4-day champion: $65,199)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Rachel: $13,800, 17 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Del: $9,800, 14 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Eric: $4,800, 10 R, 4 W
Combined Coryat: $28,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Rachel: 17/59 = .288
Del: 14/59 = .237
Eric: 11/58 = .190
Team: 42/63 = .667

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
"EXO" $600: To absolve
(Eric: What is to excuse?)

THE NOT-SO-BIG CATS $400: This rare Indian cat is named for the activity it's engaging in here

THE NOT-SO-BIG CATS $800: Smaller than a house cat, the black-footed cat is native to the Kalahari on this continent

THE NOT-SO-BIG CATS $1200: Name in common to the two beings seen here

THE NOT-SO-BIG CATS $1600: This little cat gets its name from the flat, grassy plains of South America, to which it's native

THE NOT-SO-BIG CATS $2000: Seen here, the marbled cat of southeast Asia is often called the miniature version of this clouded big cat
[Applause for Rachel running the category]

LET'S TALK DESSERT $2000: If you boast & come up short, you may have to eat this metaphorical pastry
(Eric: What is... crow? No. What is [*]?)

"YOU" TUNES $800: Tom Cruise sings... well...performs... this Righteous Brothers hit in "Top Gun"; now the clue is gone, gone, gone...
(Eric: What is "You Lost That Lovin' Feelin'"?)
(Alex: Say it again.)
(Eric: What is "You Lost That Lovin' Feeling?")
(Rachel: What is "You've Lost"--)
(Alex: You've. Y-O-U-V-E.)
(Rachel: --"That Loving Feeling"?)

SOUNDS LIKE MY FIRST MARRIAGE $400: This Spanish artist's first wife, Olga Khokhlova, was so ravishing he would actually paint her looking like herself
(Del: Who is Dali?)
(Rachel: Who is Neruda?)

THE GOLD STANDARDS $1600: Named for Ransom Eli Olds, REO, an old maker of these, promoted them as "the gold standard of value"
(Rachel: What are speedwagons?)
(Eric: What are fire trucks?)
[Rachel's response was originally ruled incorrect but ruled correct before the first Daily Double. Eric's penalty for the subsequent incorrect response was removed.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Guyana
Man o' War
Australia
Nicosia
fiat money
Lizzie Borden
Rodeo
Custis
sugarcoat
peaches and cream
Increase Mather
Mohammed
The Memory Keeper's Daughter
Publishers Clearing House
exonerate
a fisher cat (or fishing)
Africa
bobcat
a Pampas cat
a leopard
humble pie
"You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'"
Picasso
cars (or speedwagons)
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BUSINESS & INDUSTRY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This company’s first mailers in 1953 offered 20 different magazine subscriptions--prizes came 14 years later

Rachel Lindgren: 12800-1801=10999 (4x = $65,199)
Del Scott: 7300-5501=1799
Eric Raygor: 4800+4798=9598

Correct response:
Spoiler
Publishers Clearing House (Rachel- Publisher’s) (Del – Reader’s Digest)

Daily Doubles
Rachel: 400-1000
Del: 9800-2500
DD3 not found

Coryats
Rachel: 13800
Del: 9800
Eric: 4800

Combined: 28,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Rachel: 2000
Del: 4600
Eric: 400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex accent: Alexander Karelin
Scoring change: THE GOLD STANDARD $1600

The clue: Named for Ransom Eli Olds, REO, an old maker of these, promoted them as “The Gold Standard of Value”

Rachel was negged then credited for Speed Wagons and Eric was negged for fire trucks and got his money back.

Alex accepted Rachel’s fisher cat when he wanted fishing cat. By the time the CATS category was over Rachel earned applause for the run as she opened the round with six in a row for $6400 to the good.

Eric gave a clear demonstration of J! rules in LET’S TALK DESSERT $2000 as he gave a wrong response and immediately corrected it to the completely different correct response before Alex could rule on him. I can only imagine the howling though if it had made the difference for Eric to win the game.

The last category had a DD available. Del selected the $400 clue. Eric got it and selected the $2000 clue. Nope and nope. Another DD left uncovered. Who knows what that could have done to the game if found by any of the players.

The FJ! clue was one of those with no doubt for the correct response and I knew no matter how I wrote it I would be fine. I went for no apostrophe on the first word and one word on the next part when it should have two words for a total of three. For a yucky category I’ll gladly take it.

The players making it a 1/3 was a little surprising as it will be way above 33% on the J! Board.

Memo to Kyle ($63,802) Becker: Push the elevator button and go down one floor.
rjaguar3

Post by rjaguar3 »

The subject of the Final Jeopardy! clue spoiled it in a Tuesday afternoon post (as I discovered when I saw the link below in my Facebook newsfeed). I believe I would have gotten it anyway.
Spoiler
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

LT: 1933, fiat, Lizzie Borden, Muhammad, Custis (DD)

I spent the entire FJ think time trying to remember the name of Publisher's Clearinghouse, without success.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I got FJ fairly quickly - had to spend a sec making sure I remembered the name correctly. I was deciding between "Publisher's sweepstakes" and "Publisher's clearinghouse" but eventually figured it out

Can someone listen and hear if the "g"s were pronounced in "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'", since the show has, on occasion, been persnickety about song titles?
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Exorcism!? When the clue clearly called for 'exorcist'?? I'm still gritting my teeth a bit (I've said this before, but this is why I'm completely uninterested in the occasional 'noun vs adjective' debates - this show is so inconsistent).

Instaget FJ. Probably would've gotten it even w/o the bit about prizes. Surprisingly low get rates these last couple of days.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

R: 20, W: 4, costing 1800
Coryat: 13,000
FJ: :mrgreen:
DD: 0/2
LT: fiat, sugar coat

J! round: went with "fiat" too soon, on the first clue in Gold Standard, so was ready for it at the bottom of the category. :)

DJ round: Had a tough time with everything here. Got skunked in the First Marriages, and went negative in Pitt Lit.

FJ was pretty much an instaget. Like others, spent more time worrying about an apostrophe in Publishers. Was pretty sure Clearing House was separate words. Apparently, it didn't matter.

I counted 13 TS clues - almost 1/4 of the board. It takes time to stand and stare, so it's no wonder there were 5 unrevealed clues today. I'm not sure if the boards were that hard, or they just hit topics that were weaker for all three players. They didn't strike me as unusually difficult, but I'm not a very good judge of that.
--Peter
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

If Northern Cyprus is considered a country, why not Palestine, which would make Jerusalem an acceptable answer for the question about split capitals?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Of the three ScottDs in LL. none are from Del Scott's home of San Francisco. Which surprised me after his guess of Martha Johnson.

Once again, a player has the right idea in FJ, but can't quite get the name exactly right.

I got FJ, but I haven't seen one of their sweepstakes ads In years.

A few too many misses cost Pastor Eric. If he had another $800 he beats Rachel if he still makes the almost all-in bet in FJ.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

some of the trash is just inexcusable:
Man O' War, Nicosia This has come up before , Guyana DD, 1933 (how on Earth is the year of FDR's inauguration a stand-and-stare?), fiat, Lizzie Borden, peaches & cream, Increase Mather, Mohammad (again, how is this a stand-and-stare?), Custis DD. I shoulda got Rodeo, but went with Girl of the Golden West..
Easy peasy FJ.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

DBear wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:49 pm some of the trash is just inexcusable:
Man O' War, Nicosia This has come up before , Guyana DD, 1933 (how on Earth is the year of FDR's inauguration a stand-and-stare?), fiat, Lizzie Borden, peaches & cream, Increase Mather, Mohammad (again, how is this a stand-and-stare?), Custis DD. I shoulda got Rodeo, but went with Girl of the Golden West..
Easy peasy FJ.
Neruda for Picasso was the worst response of the night, and I don't mean that as a personal affront to Rachel, who seems quite bright and eminently likable and obvs a cat person! (meow)

It's a sad day when BALLET is once again the last category picked on Jeopardy! Sorry we didn't see those last 2 clues, but man oh man they're killing me with Rodeo over and over and over. Any cursory studying of the archive would have helped the players on this one. But Lizzie Borden the ballet?! No words. Can't imagine what was left uncovered. Shrek the Ballet?

I gave Rachel and Del no chance on FJ - like Alex said, "too young" - but Rachel surprised me by getting halfway there

I expected the pastor to get all the religion clues. I also expected Cotton Mather to be correct.

Not sure I've ever heard of the exocrine glands. Couldn't get to exonerate or Nicosia to save my life. Also went with Jersualem

Fiat money - another recent LL question...

Total disclosure - I'm horrible with dates and presidents and predictably blanked on FDR's inauguration year. Said 1937 :oops:
Last edited by morbeedo on Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

OSXpert wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:31 pm I got FJ fairly quickly - had to spend a sec making sure I remembered the name correctly. I was deciding between "Publisher's sweepstakes" and "Publisher's clearinghouse" but eventually figured it out

Can someone listen and hear if the "g"s were pronounced in "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'", since the show has, on occasion, been persnickety about song titles?
I was wondering if this might be an issue as well, but Alex actually talked over her as soon as she said "You've", correcting the previous player's mistake,
so she never even got the last two words out.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:19 pm
OSXpert wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:31 pm I got FJ fairly quickly - had to spend a sec making sure I remembered the name correctly. I was deciding between "Publisher's sweepstakes" and "Publisher's clearinghouse" but eventually figured it out

I was wondering if this might be an issue as well, but Alex actually talked over her as soon as she said "You've", successfully correcting the previous player's mistake, so she never even got the last two words out.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

32 R
DD: 1/2
FJ: :(
LT: Australia, (Guyana), 1933, Lizzie Borden, Rodeo, *Cars*, Muhammad
Douglas Squasoni
davey

Post by davey »

xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:49 pm Exorcism!? When the clue clearly called for 'exorcist'?? I'm still gritting my teeth a bit (I've said this before, but this is why I'm completely uninterested in the occasional 'noun vs adjective' debates - this show is so inconsistent).
That was my first reaction too, but on reflection, no. The clue called for a noun - the ceremony is an "expeller of devils" as much as the man or woman who performs it. The use of "it's" - while probably a way to avoid sexism - could have encouraged a reading for the process rather than the person...

Is the FJ a generational thing, and young people don't know about this phenomenon? Or is this one of the easiest FJs imaginable?? It seems to me I still see the commercials from time to time, but I haven't received a mailing in years. I'm sure there's nothing in the ads that reveals that their raison d'etre for years was to sell magazines cheaply. Apparently they now make money from selling cheap merchandise...
http://www.targetmarketingmag.com/artic ... marketing/
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

jeff6286 wrote:
OSXpert wrote: Can someone listen and hear if the "g"s were pronounced in "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'", since the show has, on occasion, been persnickety about song titles?
I was wondering if this might be an issue as well, but Alex actually talked over her as soon as she said "You've", correcting the previous player's mistake,
I'm pretty sure I heard her say "....That Loving...." but I don't know if she said feeling or feelin'.

LT: Australia, 1933, Lizzie Borden, Peaches & Cream, Cars
Instaget FJ
davey

Post by davey »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:19 pm

You can still hear them though and she pronounced both g's. Maybe if Alex had listened, we'd have had another neg...
It sounds to me like Eric says "loving feelin" the first time and "lovin feelin" the second time, but it's more ambiguous...
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Way to go Rachel! She derailed me on the glacier clue with "Oceania" as a continent. Another reason I could jettison the whole idea of different continents completely since there is no satisfactory demarcation of them.

Instaget FJ and a reminder of nostalgia that just vanished with the internet and states running big lotteries. Before that was the "Irish Sweepstakes" which was the icon for lucky lucre, and I have no idea what it actually was. It broke as I predicted, with the preacher knowing it and the younger players bombing on it. Rachel must have heard about it from the Ed McMahon shill but couldn't quite pull it.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.