Tuesday, December 27, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Re: Tuesday, December 27, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Vanya »

Who is Edith Galt?
TheGrandPiano
Very Official Member

Post by TheGrandPiano »

omgwheelhouse wrote:Not impressed? Toc would eat him alive? Ok, fair enough, maybe after he wins 8 more you guys will be sufficiently impressed. :D
Now, THAT would be something else, but even 19 game-winner David Madden lost in his TOC semifinal.
vellore
Jeopardy! Winner....of $1

Post by vellore »

I couldn't agree more. Jason has NOTHING going for him except impeccable split-second timing on the buzzer, a vast and diverse storehouse of both general and arcane knowledge, an immense vocabulary, and a competitive spirit. Oh, and he casts the evil eye on those who buzz in before him.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Add me to the list of people who are impressed by Jason. He has the knowledge part down, my worries for him are in the area of strategy. He needs to be more aggressive hunting Daily Doubles and I also think that he has been too conservative on his Daily Double wagers, especially early on in games. The buzzer has seemed okay for him but I think he would do better on his buzzer timing if he didn't use such a wild arm motion.
Tehshigelisok
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by Tehshigelisok »

vellore wrote:I couldn't agree more. Jason has NOTHING going for him except impeccable split-second timing on the buzzer, a vast and diverse storehouse of both general and arcane knowledge, an immense vocabulary, and a competitive spirit. Oh, and he casts the evil eye on those who buzz in before him.
Jason Keller doesn't breathe, he holds air hostage.
Really, I'm TenPoundHammer. Same as always.
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

StevenH wrote:He needs to be more aggressive hunting Daily Doubles and I also think that he has been too conservative on his Daily Double wagers, especially early on in games.
Yeah, agreed.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TheGrandPiano wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:That's only true if both Jason and Niall had missed FJ. In that case, Niall's wager would have lost him a game he should have won. As things turned out, both Jason and Niall got FJ right. There was no way Niall could have won in that scenario without an irrational bet on Jason's part.

Also, I'd say Niall's wager wasn't confusing, just not completely thought out. He was clearly wagering to cover a zero bet by Jason. Since he was within two-thirds but not within four-fifths, he didn't have enough money to do this safely. But missing that subtlety is pretty understandable, even if it's frustrating to watch.

Your other point about Janemarie and the NFL is spot on, of course. So it took two instances of incredible good luck to get Jason where he is today. Will that luck continue at the TOC? I wouldn't bet against it. Will Jason buy the same shirt in even more colors? (As of this game, I think he's started recycling them.) I wouldn't bet against that either.
Are you speaking of Niall's Final Jeopardy wager? I was speaking of his Daily Double wager, which if he had bet to win in that case, would have catapulted him into the lead. Although, I agree, his Final Jeopardy wager didn't cover him losing if both men answered correctly.
Oops. I'd forgotten all about that, even though I think I may have posted at length on the subject. Yes, Niall should have wagered to leap into first on that DD. Had he done so, it would have been Jason's last game.
TheGrandPiano wrote:As for his continued luck, anything is possible, and, of course, luck is part of the game. Even watching some of the wagers this past Tournament causes me to believe that crazy things can happen. I stick to my belief, though, that if Jason prepares for the Tournament efficiently, he could be a finalist; if he does not, he could be out in the quarterfinals.

(And yes, I've gotten used to the green oxford by now! :p)
Don't sell the burgundy one short.
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

Vanya wrote:Who is Edith Galt?
:lol:
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

mam418 wrote:Congrats to Jason, and a very good game, vellore.

I had to pause the DVR and laugh during the 'Red Book' category when "The Red and the Black" came up. During both of my auditions (NYC - '08 and '10), that book came up during the mock game. In '08, was a triple stumper (I don't remember if it was while I was playing or not), but in the other one, I managed to pull it out of somewhere, to the surprise of Maggie and Robert (and whoever our third was... a guy, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Glenn.) I've never read it, not really all that sure of what it's about... but that book is now my friend because of that. :D

For FJ, my husband said Wilson almost immediately. I think I would have settled on that, too. (Only other one I considered was FDR, but figured that was unlikely as it was 15+ years after suffrage.)
I think I remember that from auditions.
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.
GregK
Contributor

Post by GregK »

I think everyone missed the key element of the FJ answer. It had nothing to do with the 19 th amendment. In 1916 Jeanette Rankin was the first woman elected to congress and therefore would have been an "official" who would participate in the inauguration in march of 1917 as it takes place at the Capitol. As was pointed out, women could not vote for president in 1916, but some states allowed it, such as Montana where Rankin was from. The question was awful in my opinion, as it is unclear what "officially participate" means. I presume first ladies always had some participation, so having to decide whether this is official or unofficial makes little sense - the parade is not like a sports team wher one is officially on the roster or not.
cheezguyty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cheezguyty »

StevenH wrote:He needs to be more aggressive hunting Daily Doubles...
Even though he has not been very aggressive in hunting them, Jason is the first person to get at least one DD right in each of his first 8 games (original run only). In fact, of the 17 superchampions, Jason and Roger Craig are the only two to do so in each of their first 7 games.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Bamaman wrote:I knew Harding was the first president women voted for, so I went with FDR since he was the next one who had more than one inaugural. Plus, he had a female cabinent member, so she likely would have been part of the parade. I did briefly consider Wilson.
The 1920 election and the 19th Amendment are the train of thought that led me to FDR, as he was the first president after 1920 to enjoy a second inauguration. I just don't see the TOM that would lead to Wilson.
dmleach
Damn Jeopardy! Hooligan

Post by dmleach »

vellore wrote:Anyone wondering why the “elementary school teacher” didn’t buzz in on Dr. Seuss....the cover image didn’t come up on the screen during taping, and while I was staring dumbly at the screen waiting for it, Jason had aleady sussed out the clue and had his eye on the lights. The mark of a champion.
I was surprised when they edited down the pause between the end of the clue and Jason's response - it had to have been three or four seconds. Of course, for the broadcast it doesn't make sense for it to have taken that long, but having been there and seen it the first time around I was surprised when it flew by so quickly.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

cinemaniax7 wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I knew Harding was the first president women voted for, so I went with FDR since he was the next one who had more than one inaugural. Plus, he had a female cabinent member, so she likely would have been part of the parade. I did briefly consider Wilson.
The 1920 election and the 19th Amendment are the train of thought that led me to FDR, as he was the first president after 1920 to enjoy a second inauguration. I just don't see the TOM that would lead to Wilson.
Harding's was the first inauguration after ratification of the 19th amendment, so women would have been allowed in that parade, I'm guessing. So go backward to Wilson. At first I went back to Lincoln, but knowing Jeopardy clue writers, realized they must have been going for Wilson.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

GregK wrote:I think everyone missed the key element of the FJ answer. It had nothing to do with the 19 th amendment. In 1916 Jeanette Rankin was the first woman elected to congress and therefore would have been an "official" who would participate in the inauguration in march of 1917 as it takes place at the Capitol. As was pointed out, women could not vote for president in 1916, but some states allowed it, such as Montana where Rankin was from. The question was awful in my opinion, as it is unclear what "officially participate" means. I presume first ladies always had some participation, so having to decide whether this is official or unofficial makes little sense - the parade is not like a sports team wher one is officially on the roster or not.
Welcome to the boards GregK! I was about to post that I, like everyone else on the board, seems to have missed the idea in the FJ question. The 19th amendment is a complete red herring, and makes the question awful, even without the other bad parts of the question you mention.

A first post from someone who corrects the rest of the board in an intelligent way in the right thread? Yay! Please stay!
mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

SkoolRN wrote:
mam418 wrote:Congrats to Jason, and a very good game, vellore.

I had to pause the DVR and laugh during the 'Red Book' category when "The Red and the Black" came up. During both of my auditions (NYC - '08 and '10), that book came up during the mock game. In '08, was a triple stumper (I don't remember if it was while I was playing or not), but in the other one, I managed to pull it out of somewhere, to the surprise of Maggie and Robert (and whoever our third was... a guy, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Glenn.) I've never read it, not really all that sure of what it's about... but that book is now my friend because of that. :D

For FJ, my husband said Wilson almost immediately. I think I would have settled on that, too. (Only other one I considered was FDR, but figured that was unlikely as it was 15+ years after suffrage.)
I think I remember that from auditions.
I think we definitely had the lucky pair of seats from our audition. (I remember after I sat down from the mock game, and was worried about how I had come across, you said I'd done great, and didn't look nervous. Don't know if I ever thanked you for that... but thank you!! :D )
vellore

Post by vellore »

Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Just got a chance to watch this episode, and wanted to say well done, vellore. Having (I think?) the first Canadian contestant of the season run into an entire category on US TV Networks, then a very US-centric DD and FJ! (while facing a 7-time champ, no less) was unfortunate. Although, I'd have thought that being from Woodbridge might've helped with the Talking Italian category? :)
vellore

Post by vellore »

Turd Ferguson wrote: I'd have thought that being from Woodbridge might've helped with the Talking Italian category? :)
I see you're familiar with Woodbridge demographics.
My mother and father-in-law immigrated from Calabria in the 1960s. Unfortunately for me, they speak Italo-Canadese, so when I'm helping my father-in-law with a project, he doesn't ask me for a "cacciavite," but rather "u scrudriver."