Thursday, February 1, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mikebdoss
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, February 1, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by mikebdoss »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:53 am So the contestants don't watch football. Big deal. How much time should they have devoted to preparing for this category? If they didn't know this stuff already, how many months of study would it take to get them up to speed? I would advise any prospective contestant not to bother. You will get far more--and far easier--bang for your buck by swotting up on presidents, state and world capitals, Shakespeare, Academy Awards, Classical music, etc. etc. etc. There's just too much J! material with a relatively constrained pool of facts. Why waste time attempting to drink from a fire hydrant in order to learn a bunch of stuff that isn't even interesting to you?
I agree 100%. All of us have our weak categories, and the show just happened to feature three players who don't follow football (but are all obviously knowledgeable otherwise). Not only that, you could study all the football stats, history, and winners you could possibly fit into your brain, and still not be exposed to "option play" or "purple people eaters".
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If they had devoted some time to study football, they would have gotten Tom Landry, but that’s probably it.
hscer

Post by hscer »

there were a ton of TOM's for "option" for anyone who's been in the same room as a college football game, I'd have thought. Everything 600-1000, though, yeah you have to be pretty familiar
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Peter the accountant wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:23 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:53 am So the contestants don't watch football. Big deal. How much time should they have devoted to preparing for this category?
Football (and baseball and basketball) slot into my idea of pop culture. And that's definitely a topic worthy of study. But it's an extremely broad topic, so you can't study it all.
My thinking here is I'll keep up on current events (Deadspin) but I'm not going out of my way studying history. I grew up immersed in baseball minutia...no way I have the room for that times four. Course...current events still wouldn't help much with -that- category.
Bamaman wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:31 am If they had devoted some time to study football, they would have gotten Tom Landry, but that’s probably it.
Or King of the Hill!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

econgator wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:21 am And I bet it will be on Highly Questionable or PTI tomorrow, too.
Jamie Samuelson of 97.1 The Ticket (Detroit sports radio) played the whole category this morning. He's a big Jeopardy fan, and sometimes has callers compete for prizes in a Jeopardy-style game.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Blue Lion wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:05 pm
econgator wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:21 am And I bet it will be on Highly Questionable or PTI tomorrow, too.
Jamie Samuelson of 97.1 The Ticket (Detroit sports radio) played the whole category this morning. He's a big Jeopardy fan, and sometimes has callers compete for prizes in a Jeopardy-style game.
The 9AM SportsCenter showed it all, too.
bbird
Valued Contributor

Post by bbird »

hscer wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:38 am there were a ton of TOM's for "option" for anyone who's been in the same room as a college football game, I'd have thought. Everything 600-1000, though, yeah you have to be pretty familiar
And here I was about to complain about the lack of TOMs in this category. The rest of the clues seemed to be YKIOYD. The bottom one could've at least referenced a hit novelty song from the '50s for a little help (or a bad '80s movie starring Neil Patrick Harris, but that probably would've only helped me).

I almost have to wonder if the writers intentionally left out any hints so the home audience could feel smarter than the contestants. Like Peter said, not a bad idea considering the press they're getting today. Here in the Cleveland area, this tweet has been a topic of conversation. Personally I think it's hilarious. :mrgreen:
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

bbird wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:01 pm
And here I was about to complain about the lack of TOMs in this category. The rest of the clues seemed to be YKIOYD. The bottom one could've at least referenced a hit novelty song from the '50s for a little help (or a bad '80s movie starring Neil Patrick Harris, but that probably would've only helped me).
They shot that movie in my old hometown! :lol:
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

eureka wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:45 pm I like most sports, except football. If I had remembered a certain Simpsons episode, I would have gotten the Cowboys. If I had been on that show Alex would be dead because I did get the last one. I did not know FJ , so my answer would have to be Kebert Xela.
i don't like american football for the most part...i plan to sleep through this year's super bowl as i did last year...would do Lifetime movies like I did in 2001, but Lifetime movies are pretty shit these days...with that being said, I would say I am pretty knowledgeable about that sport in terms of trivia
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

sillymoose wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:27 pm I liked my guess of Ralph Ellison for FJ. Probably never would have come up with Kerouac
but he had already been mentioned in the regular rounds...was the answer to one of the black history clues
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:53 am So the contestants don't watch football. Big deal. How much time should they have devoted to preparing for this category? If they didn't know this stuff already, how many months of study would it take to get them up to speed? I would advise any prospective contestant not to bother. You will get far more--and far easier--bang for your buck by swotting up on presidents, state and world capitals, Shakespeare, Academy Awards, Classical music, etc. etc. etc. There's just too much J! material with a relatively constrained pool of facts. Why waste time attempting to drink from a fire hydrant in order to learn a bunch of stuff that isn't even interesting to you?
i don't watch american football either and i knew the answers to all 5 of those clues...only the purple people eater clue can be seen as needing to know a decent amount about american football..the other 4..eh..not so much...especially tom landry...pretty much like lombardy and rockne...he transcended the sport
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:38 pm i don't watch american football either and i knew the answers to all 5 of those clues...only the purple people eater clue can be seen as needing to know a decent amount about american football..the other 4..eh..not so much...especially tom landry...pretty much like lombardy and rockne...he transcended the sport
If you don't know football, the $200 question could have been "choice" or "option" or "flip flop" or any of a bunch of other similar terms. The outcomes for the $600 and $800 clues were the same - they're asking for language/terms specific to football that have multiple synonyms. These are tough questions to just "figure out" without specific football knowledge.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

mikebdoss wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:51 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:38 pm i don't watch american football either and i knew the answers to all 5 of those clues...only the purple people eater clue can be seen as needing to know a decent amount about american football..the other 4..eh..not so much...especially tom landry...pretty much like lombardy and rockne...he transcended the sport
If you don't know football, the $200 question could have been "choice" or "option" or "flip flop" or any of a bunch of other similar terms. The outcomes for the $600 and $800 clues were the same - they're asking for language/terms specific to football that have multiple synonyms. These are tough questions to just "figure out" without specific football knowledge.
Exactly. I read an entire article once on the "read option," but I still clammed on that option clue.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:23 pm
Exactly. I read an entire article once on the "read option," but I still clammed on that option clue.
Of the set, I thought "fair catch" was the most beginner friendly one. Chicago Bears' fans should know that one well as the event that happens after their 3 and out :lol: . But it does happen several times a game, is not really ambiguous, and in most games and is usually identified by the announcer as such. It's as basic as the forward pass or the punt.

I saw the Super Bowl in Cozumel one year (the "wardrobe malfunction" year) and it was interesting to hear the English announcers for the foreign broadcast explaining the game from the most basic level. "The quarterback takes the ball from the center...."
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:55 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:23 pm
Of the set, I thought "fair catch" was the most beginner friendly one. Chicago Bears' fans should know that one well as the event that happens after their 3 and out :lol: . But it does happen several times a game, is not really ambiguous, and in most games and is usually identified by the announcer as such. It's as basic as the forward pass or the punt.
Those are good examples to explain the trouble we football illiterates were having. We know what a "forward pass" and a "punt" are, more or less, when you use the terms. But we don't always know whether they are technical terms which might be asked for in a clue or non-technical descriptions which would be less likely to come up.

Speaking only for myself, I recognized all of the correct responses once they were stated. But none of them except the Cowboys occurred to me in time.

I'll also take this moment to say that of COURSE the contestants deserve all the ribbing they're getting. I hope they're taking it in good humor and are enjoying their time as a Transient Internet Phenomenon. I would expect no less if I'd participated in such a debacle. But I also would have no regrets about my decision not to make football a major part of my study regimen. If I get on the show, I'll probably study team names/locations and stadium names. Which wouldn't have helped at all for these clues.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:10 pm
It did make Highly Questionable with Papi, Dan and Domonique Foxworth all giving the J! clip a "Sí."
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:31 am If they had devoted some time to study football, they would have gotten Tom Landry, but that’s probably it.
And if they had asked what CTE stands for, I would have got 1 right - hell, I could even spell it for them :twisted:
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

mikebdoss wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:28 am
I agree 100%. All of us have our weak categories, and the show just happened to feature three players who don't follow football (but are all obviously knowledgeable otherwise). Not only that, you could study all the football stats, history, and winners you could possibly fit into your brain, and still not be exposed to "option play" or "purple people eaters".
+1 (or 2?) to all this. I know enough general sports trivia for Trivial Pursuit, but I've NHO most of those answers.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:22 pm
It did make Highly Questionable with Papi, Dan and Domonique Foxworth all giving the J! clip a "Sí."
bomani jones is no longer on the show?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

CasketRomance wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:05 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:22 pm
bomani jones is no longer on the show?
Bomani left this past summer although he has done a few fill-in days along with a bunch of others including Foxworth as no permanent co-host has been named yet. To me the show works fine with the rotation in the third seat.