On Both Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: On Both Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune?

Post by dhkendall »

lisa0012 wrote:I would love to be on WOF because I know I have the wordplay skills to do very well (wordplay categories are also a strength on J!). The money's just a perk, as would be any winnings on J!. Unfortunately, while I'm plenty outgoing in the J! crowd, I'm not quite sure I'm, um, exuberant enough to stand out at a WOF audition...
I think it's more than just wordplay that requires you to be a good Wheel player (or maybe I'm interpreting the phrase "wordplay" wrong). J! has plenty of wordplay categories, but I find them easier to get on J! For example, while J! might have in a wordplay category of, say "P"laces: "This city in Tuscany "towers" above the rest", and I'd know that the answer is
Spoiler
Pisa
, but Wheel would have a "Place" category and P _ _ _, _ _ _ _ _ and I'd be staring blankly at the screen.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Tehshigelisok
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by Tehshigelisok »

dhkendall wrote:But Wheel would have a "Place" category and P _ _ _, _ _ _ _ _ and I'd be staring blankly at the screen.
<pedantry>On the Map, not Place.</pedantry>
Really, I'm TenPoundHammer. Same as always.
lisa0012
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by lisa0012 »

dhkendall wrote:
lisa0012 wrote:I would love to be on WOF because I know I have the wordplay skills to do very well (wordplay categories are also a strength on J!). The money's just a perk, as would be any winnings on J!. Unfortunately, while I'm plenty outgoing in the J! crowd, I'm not quite sure I'm, um, exuberant enough to stand out at a WOF audition...
I think it's more than just wordplay that requires you to be a good Wheel player (or maybe I'm interpreting the phrase "wordplay" wrong). J! has plenty of wordplay categories, but I find them easier to get on J! For example, while J! might have in a wordplay category of, say "P"laces: "This city in Tuscany "towers" above the rest", and I'd know that the answer is
Spoiler
Pisa
, but Wheel would have a "Place" category and P _ _ _, _ _ _ _ _ and I'd be staring blankly at the screen.
Agreed. The WOF puzzles have gotten stranger and less straightforward over the years as they are forced to not repeat themselves, which doesn't help anything. Related skills, but different.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

dhkendall wrote:
Spoiler
Pisa
I think WOF has a differant sort of wordplay. On that show, it would help if you were good at crosswords, because you would be able to "see" certain words even if letters are missing. Jeopardy wordplay is more anagrams, hidden words and play on words (like the Pisa one) that really aren't applicable to Wheel.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

I enjoy both Wheel and Jeopardy!, and would like to be a contestant on both. But I am absolutely certain the the audition process is not anywhere near as stringent on Wheel. I do not find myself very often shouting "you idiot!" at the screen while watching Jeopardy! But, on Wheel, so many of the contestants give away so much of their winnings by buying vowels or taking single letters instead of multiple letters. Or continuing to spin after they have run up into the tens of thousands, only to hit a bankrupt on the next spin. I really believe that 90% of contestants there have no clue other than they like to watch it, so they want to play it.

Today (am I allowed to spoil here?) the puzzle was RINGING IN THE NEW YEAR IN TIMES SQUARE. It was so obvious that I got it after the first two letters were revealed. The contestant landed on the jackpot space, and didn't solve it!!!. In case that wasn't bad enough, he then spun and landed on the $2500, and took a single letter when there were 5 N's.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote:I enjoy both Wheel and Jeopardy!, and would like to be a contestant on both. But I am absolutely certain the the audition process is not anywhere near as stringent on Wheel. I do not find myself very often shouting "you idiot!" at the screen while watching Jeopardy! But, on Wheel, so many of the contestants give away so much of their winnings by buying vowels or taking single letters instead of multiple letters. Or continuing to spin after they have run up into the tens of thousands, only to hit a bankrupt on the next spin. I really believe that 90% of contestants there have no clue other than they like to watch it, so they want to play it.
And how many times are we screaming "you idiot!" either in our living rooms and/or on the board at bad wagerers? I know of the Wheel board (I don't know if it found a home during the Sony outage), and I'm thinking that their boardies who get on the show (I assume our communities are similar in that regard) use their spins correctly and plan things out carefully. Wagering strategy on J! = spin strategy on Wheel.
bpmod wrote:Today (am I allowed to spoil here?) the puzzle was RINGING IN THE NEW YEAR IN TIMES SQUARE. It was so obvious that I got it after the first two letters were revealed. The contestant landed on the jackpot space, and didn't solve it!!!. In case that wasn't bad enough, he then spun and landed on the $2500, and took a single letter when there were 5 N's.
You're assuming that it's obvious because you knew it. I didn't see the episode, so I don't know which two letters were shown, but from the times I've watched, I doubt I would have been able to solve it at the time. Granted, I think it odd when letters like "N", "R", "T", and "S" aren't called for within the first few spins, but it's not because I know there will be those letters, just that they are common (whereas you thought they should have called "N" because you knew there were five). That's like saying "It's quite obvious that the Final Jeopardy clue was [answer] just from [TOM], why didn't they answer it?"
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Greed and stupidity are huge factors on that show. Spinning with only single letters left on the board? Just solve it and bank the money.

With everyone being a one and done player and some having bad luck landing on bankrupt too many times, its hard to get a feel how good some players are. But I think a lot of them are mesmerized by the glitz and just like being on the show rather than really having an idea of game play or strategy.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:And how many times are we screaming "you idiot!" either in our living rooms and/or on the board at bad wagerers? I know of the Wheel board (I don't know if it found a home during the Sony outage), and I'm thinking that their boardies who get on the show (I assume our communities are similar in that regard) use their spins correctly and plan things out carefully. Wagering strategy on J! = spin strategy on Wheel.
I was thinking more of contestants that seem like idiots through the whole game rather than those that have "moments" of seeming stupidity. But even at that (except for the FJ wagering), I seldom get upset at a J! contestant, because it just seems to be a much tougher row to hoe and there are not too many who don't impress me through most of the game, even those that finish in a distant third.

Also, it's been mentioned by somebody else, but not by me, that luck plays a much bigger role in Wheel. So I often see a contestant that just doesn't get a break on the wheel, but who, otherwise, seems to be a better calibre player than the one that ends up winning. That, too frustrates me, but not enough to spoil my enjoyment of the show.
You're assuming that it's obvious because you knew it. I didn't see the episode, so I don't know which two letters were shown, but from the times I've watched, I doubt I would have been able to solve it at the time. Granted, I think it odd when letters like "N", "R", "T", and "S" aren't called for within the first few spins, but it's not because I know there will be those letters, just that they are common (whereas you thought they should have called "N" because you knew there were five). That's like saying "It's quite obvious that the Final Jeopardy clue was [answer] just from [TOM], why didn't they answer it?"
Maybe I am much better than the best contestants on Wheel, and maybe that means I should actively try out for the show. But, yes, I am assuming that I shouldn't be getting every single puzzle long before any of the contestants on every episode.
Bamaman wrote:Greed and stupidity are huge factors on that show. Spinning with only single letters left on the board? Just solve it and bank the money.

With everyone being a one and done player and some having bad luck landing on bankrupt too many times, its hard to get a feel how good some players are. But I think a lot of them are mesmerized by the glitz and just like being on the show rather than really having an idea of game play or strategy.
Yes, that's pretty much what I was saying.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

Tehshigelisok

Post by Tehshigelisok »

dhkendall wrote: I know of the Wheel board (I don't know if it found a home during the Sony outage)
It did.

My main beef with Wheel is people who can't figure out the Bonus Round. Seems once a week, someone forgets which letters are already called, so they'll guess ATHLETIC FIELD instead of BUILD when there's no E on the bottom (keep in mind you're given RSTLNE automatically) or take until just after the buzzer to figure out that _OME HEL_ O_T is COME HELP OUT. ("Fome held"? Really?)

The worst this season was the lady who had GLO_E. She guessed GLOVE before the timer started. Pat said it was wrong. Afterwards? Nothing.

I can get a lot of puzzles right away, but sometimes they won't come to me. Most often this is because it's something I've never heard of (PLAYING FOR ALL THE MARBLES the other day) or the bonus round is something totally random-ass like FAVORITE MUG. (Who the hell says that?!)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Tehshigelisok wrote:The worst this season was the lady who had GLO_E. She guessed GLOVE before the timer started. Pat said it was wrong. Afterwards? Nothing.
This was one of the ones I was specifically thinking of when I stated that the process must not be as stringent.
I can get a lot of puzzles right away, but sometimes they won't come to me. Most often this is because it's something I've never heard of (PLAYING FOR ALL THE MARBLES the other day) or the bonus round is something totally random-ass like FAVORITE MUG. (Who the hell says that?!)
We certainly don't here. Here we say FAVOURITE MUG. Personally I think it's a conspiracy.

Brian

heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

alietr wrote:I don't understand why people say this. They *want* to give away big prizes. That's what helps keep people interested in the show and watching. The prize money is a very small component of their total expenses. Do you think Sony was unhappy writing a huge check to Ken? No, because it was very profitable for them to do so.
I think you overthought it... I was moreso making a statement about how legendary I am at Wheel (even though I hate the show). :P
iowabelle
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by iowabelle »

When people find out I auditioned for Jeopardy!, they say "Oh, you should try to get on Wheel!" Problem is... I'm not very good at those word puzzles. You might be able to make more money on a Wheel episode, but I'd also be more likely to wipe out!

My grandmother, on the other hand, was a whiz at both Wheel and Jeopardy. Obviously, it's not an inherited talent.
Samer
Valued Contributor

Post by Samer »

Tehshigelisok wrote:It also helps that Wheel tends to recycle puzzles a great deal. (Protip: The Prize Puzzle is always some variant of "going to the beach".)
Maybe it would help if the prize weren't always a trip. . . . :roll:

Then again, I'm not sure they want to see a contestant solving puzzles like this:

_N_____ __ ___
___N_ _____
[7, 2, 3, 5, 5 letters]
[Fictional Characters]
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Samer wrote:Then again, I'm not sure they want to see a contestant solving puzzles like this:

_N_____ __ ___
___N_ _____
[7, 2, 3, 5, 5 letters]
[Fictional Characters]
That was the puzzle's state at the moment of my solving it.

Brian

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Samer wrote:
Tehshigelisok wrote:It also helps that Wheel tends to recycle puzzles a great deal. (Protip: The Prize Puzzle is always some variant of "going to the beach".)
Maybe it would help if the prize weren't always a trip. . . . :roll:

Then again, I'm not sure they want to see a contestant solving puzzles like this:

_N_____ __ ___
___N_ _____
[7, 2, 3, 5, 5 letters]
[Fictional Characters]
I'd like to buy an 'E'...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Volante wrote:I'd like to buy an 'E'...
[Fictional Characters]
_N_____ __ __E
___N_ ____E

I'd say that's a waste of $250.

Brian

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Actually, I was gonna post about how I thought this puzzle and one other (last night) were particularly 'funny' in light of some Jeopardy! play over the past two games.

Brian

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

bpmod wrote:
Volante wrote:I'd like to buy an 'E'...
[Fictional Characters]
_N_____ __ __E
___N_ ____E

I'd say that's a waste of $250.

Brian
Yes and no...I knew there was at least ONE 'E' in there...I didn't want to try my 50/50 on the 'I' or 'O'. It was, however, still no help.

Meh, so far closest I've got is wrong...but funny!
Spoiler
Indians in the World Series :lol: Last two words just don't quite fit though...fits the theme though!!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Tehshigelisok

Post by Tehshigelisok »

bpmod wrote:
Samer wrote:Then again, I'm not sure they want to see a contestant solving puzzles like this:

_N_____ __ ___
___N_ _____
[7, 2, 3, 5, 5 letters]
[Fictional Characters]
That was the puzzle's state at the moment of my solving it.

Brian
Mine too.

I also had BORN TO RUN BY BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN with no letters showing. By my count, I'm well over... 200? 300? Crap, I lost count. Anyway, I've gotten a ton of puzzles without any letters showing. And I swear they weren't reruns. :D
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Tehshigelisok wrote:I also had BORN TO RUN BY BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN with no letters showing. By my count, I'm well over... 200? 300? Crap, I lost count. Anyway, I've gotten a ton of puzzles without any letters showing. And I swear they weren't reruns. :D
And that is the other puzzle I alluded to in my previous post.

Most puzzles where the category is 'Song Lyrics' or 'Artist/Song' I get with no letters or very few. That one, I didn't get until the first letter(s) went in. (I don't remember what that letter was, but 'R' seems to ring a bell.)

Brian