On Both Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Re: On Both Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune?

Post by Rex Kramer »

Serendipity wrote:About WOF and liking wordplay - if you really like wordplay then may I suggest that you look into joining the National Puzzlers League (puzzerls.org).
Devious Serendipity embedded a transposition puzzle in her message! In order to find the NPL's real web address you have to solve it. :)
Serendipity wrote:The people in the NPL are, hands down, the smartest people I know.
This is true. That is why everyone should join -- it will make you one of the smartest people!
Serendipity wrote:It costs a measly $23 a year to join and receive the Enigma every month.
I just rejoined after a hiatus of nearly 3 years -- I promised myself not to subscribe until I had successfully completed my transition to a new career, in part because I knew what a huge distraction The Enigma is.

(Frivolisaurus) Rex
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Tehshigelisok wrote:
okstater04 wrote:
Serendipity wrote:I appeared on Jeopardy! in 2000. I've applied to WOF twice and always aced the test, but never got even close to being selected for the show. Last time I applied was probably in the 1990's so things may have changed, but at the time everybody who passed the test was herded into a classroom with a cheesy looking wheel, then they zipped around the room having us call out letters. Then they picked a couple of people to put into the pool. The odds of getting on from that pool are really small. And whatever they're looking for, it's not skill at wordplay. At least, not beyond whatever it takes to pass the written test. They're looking for contestants who will appeal to middle America, I think. People you can root for. Whatever it is, I don't have it!
At my go-round, they had 80 of us in the room (no wheel), they put puzzles up on a PowerPoint and they called us out individually to stand up and call a couple letters. Then they gave us a twenty question test to complete in five minutes. After they graded the tests, they kept 24 of us, dividing us into eight groups of three. Then they sent us on our way. I got called a week later, and a couple other people in the room that I kept up with got called within a few months.
My tryout had about 75 people. It had a small Wheel (basically a board game spinner turned vertical) and PowerPoint puzzles. I was surprised that the software was so outdated — it was using categories like Clue and Slogan that they retired several years ago, and On the Menu instead of Food & Drink. The girl next to me was a skinny, not too bright, early-20s who was covered nearly head to toe in tattoos. Behind me was a very charismatic 90-year-old veteran who acted at best, half his age.

It seemed nearly 2/3 of the people there were either a.) very quiet, b.) starting off with something insane like K, c.) calling repeated letters, d.) hesitating too long, e.) overall acting un-excited, or f.) some combination thereof. My puzzle was a Same Name, and I got a T-shirt for explaining the category to the crowd. I called out S, R, E and A, then solved FIRE & SEARCH RESCUE. I could hear favorable comments from the people running the show, noting that I was working quickly, speaking up, etc.

Our written tests only had 16 puzzles: 4 each in 4 categories. I got what was said to be the easier two. Breezed through about 14 puzzles. Nearly got stumped on two (a Before & After, IRONING BOARD OF DIRECTORS — and I wasn't too confident on DATELINE NBC) but got those with 45 seconds to spare. They replayed the 4,000th episode while they graded the tests. Tattoo lady didn't make it. 90-year-old didn't. I did. I literally jumped out of my seat and yelled "YES!" when they announced my name, which got a playful "down, boy!" from one of the workers.

Counting me, there were about 26 left after the tests. Once again, we played mock rounds, only this time with all of us standing up and pretending to spin. I was working on SLOT MACHINE JACKPOT when they Bankrupted me to pass it on to the spunky black lady to my left so she could get a chance. She solved and they told her it was a Prize Puzzle to Vegas, and she gave an excited reaction. Later, I solved FLAVOR OF THE MONTH and jokingly asked one of the workers, "Does that mean I win a trip to Baskin-Robbins?" which got a laugh from her. I don't think that black lady got on, but another similarly spunky black lady from that same tryout did, as did another lady who said her husband was retired from a railroad company. Also, I found out that one of the other potential contestants was originally from Traverse City, only a couple hours from me.

Sorry for going on, but even just trying out was one of the best moments of my life. God's been giving me a lot of signs recently, so I know my day will come. :D
Congrats, Bobby (easier to spell than your current nick ;) ), we do constantly bring up your inability to learn things from this board, but you definitely seem to know innately what it takes to get on game shows (pretty much the same things you said for Wheel would be wise to learn for anyone trying for J!) I would definitely say the odds are in your favour, however, if they have too many other people like you and you don't get it this year, keep trying, there are those on the board that will say you can do everything right and not called Called for years!

That was a very useful post for those who want to learn what to do and what not to do at an audition.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Tehshigelisok
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by Tehshigelisok »

Another good tip: scope out where the audition's being held. The day before, I made sure to walk into the hotel and ask where the auditions were being held.

A fancy place like that... I'm sure I really stood out in a $10 sweater from TJ Maxx and khakis that my aunt gave me.
Really, I'm TenPoundHammer. Same as always.
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

Rex Kramer wrote:
Serendipity wrote:About WOF and liking wordplay - if you really like wordplay then may I suggest that you look into joining the National Puzzlers League (puzzerls.org).
Devious Serendipity embedded a transposition puzzle in her message! In order to find the NPL's real web address you have to solve it. :)
Serendipity wrote:The people in the NPL are, hands down, the smartest people I know.
This is true. That is why everyone should join -- it will make you one of the smartest people!
Serendipity wrote:It costs a measly $23 a year to join and receive the Enigma every month.
I just rejoined after a hiatus of nearly 3 years -- I promised myself not to subscribe until I had successfully completed my transition to a new career, in part because I knew what a huge distraction The Enigma is.

(Frivolisaurus) Rex
I found the site the hard way! :)
Your endorsement, Rex, makes me want to join. I had a respectable rookie year in 2010 at the American Crossword Puzzle Tournament, though not as good as Joon's in the same year! ;) I'm thinking about taking crossword puzzles up again now that I'm gonna be on Jeopardy! If I applied myself I could really shine.
Jeff-thecdboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

I know this is a bump, but I just found out another contestant who's been on both of Sony's big two (WOF in Dec. 1997, J! in Dec. 2005):

WOF: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrZZohuY ... ure=relmfu

J!: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=676

For those that might happen to Google this name today (or sometime in the future) and be able to find this thread as a result, her name is Barbara Noyes.
Creed Bratton
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Creed Bratton »

I was on Wheel in 1997...swimming in the pool now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka3Ud3_df1Q
erak
Queen Elizabeth's Phrenologist

Post by erak »

I couldn't say I'd be up for Wheel, but once my post-J! year passes, I'll try out for WWTBAM again, especially since (unlike LA) it's just a subway ride away!

I'd love to be on the new Pyramid as well. Nice job they did there not messing with a winning formula.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

Hi, all. I'm new to the board and just getting my sea legs, so bear with me.
I was on the show in October with Erik's group (Hi, Erik! It's Stephanie) and one of the players had been on WOF previously, and he taped J! that week. His name is Tom Conn (we're still in touch), and his show(s) will air sometime in the next few weeks. He is a self-confessed game show junkie, and is trying to get on as many shows as he can.

Looking forward to seeing Erik and the other green room folks starting next week!!
erak

Post by erak »

Dr. J wrote:Hi, all. I'm new to the board and just getting my sea legs, so bear with me.
I was on the show in October with Erik's group (Hi, Erik! It's Stephanie) and one of the players had been on WOF previously, and he taped J! that week. His name is Tom Conn (we're still in touch), and his show(s) will air sometime in the next few weeks. He is a self-confessed game show junkie, and is trying to get on as many shows as he can.

Looking forward to seeing Erik and the other green room folks starting next week!!
Green room buddy! I was hoping to see some on the boards! You're the first so far.
Jeff-thecdboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

Dr. J wrote:Hi, all. I'm new to the board and just getting my sea legs, so bear with me.

I know that Tom Conn has a YouTube page where he posted clips from his previous game show appearances:

http://www.youtube.com/user/tomxconn
WooWho?
Jeopardy! Almost-Champion

Post by WooWho? »

I found another one!

Dominic Clust (http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=5195) appeared on DC Kids' Week back in 2004 (he auditioned with me in New Orleans in 2003), then won $3,000 on Wheel when they were in New Orleans a couple of years ago. Poor guy only got to spin the wheel once...and that one spin hit Lose a Turn!
アタックチャンス!
erak

Post by erak »

WooWho? wrote: Poor guy only got to spin the wheel once
How does that even happen? I'm guessing he was the blue player.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

erak wrote:
Each player is guaranteed (only) one spin, but it is no longer based on their position. The second toss-up determines who will spin in the first round, then the next position spins first in the second round and the final position in the third round. Round 4, if there is any spinning, is determined by the winner of the third toss-up, and should there be a round 5 or more, it carries on the same as above (next player to the right (from our perspective)).

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
WooWho?

Post by WooWho? »

He was actually the yellow player--blue won the second tossup, and hogged Round 1. Red started (and hogged) round 2. Then he started round 3, lost control on the first spin, then blue and red hogged the Wheel the rest of the round. Round 4 was a full speed-up...which he won the right to start via the tossup.
アタックチャンス!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote:
erak wrote:
Each player is guaranteed (only) one spin, but it is no longer based on their position. The second toss-up determines who will spin in the first round, then the next position spins first in the second round and the final position in the third round. Round 4, if there is any spinning, is determined by the winner of the third toss-up, and should there be a round 5 or more, it carries on the same as above (next player to the right (from our perspective)).

Brian
I'm not a wheel watcher, so bear with my question, but how can everyone be guaranteed a spin with that set up? If you have the misfortune to be on the same show as WoF's equivalent of Ken Jennings (yes, I know, they don't have repeat champs, but I think you know what I'm getting at) who is, for this example, in the red space. He has amazing luck and gets every tossup puzzle, and if he happens to hit a lose a turn or something (or the play goes to the next person?? Don't really know about that "next player to the right" thing), the lady at yellow is good enough to finish the other puzzles for him. Leaving blue you without a spin the entire game. So, if you're sitting next to two "buzzsaws" (again, borrowing a J! term and inappropriately using it for WoF) how are you guaranteed a spin?

ETA:
WooWho? wrote:He was actually the yellow player--blue won the second tossup, and hogged Round 1. Red started (and hogged) round 2. Then he started round 3, lost control on the first spin, then blue and red hogged the Wheel the rest of the round. Round 4 was a full speed-up...which he won the right to start via the tossup.
Yeah, pretty much that scenario, but let's say he wasn't even lucky enough to get to start round 4' (let's say one of the other two won the tossup). How did he get to start round 3, no tossup they just let him because the other two were hogging the wheel?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
WooWho?

Post by WooWho? »

It's just order of play, like in the pre-tossup era...only they proceed from the player who won the second tossup. If that makes sense.
アタックチャンス!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote: Yeah, pretty much that scenario, but let's say he wasn't even lucky enough to get to start round 4' (let's say one of the other two won the tossup). How did he get to start round 3, no tossup they just let him because the other two were hogging the wheel?
You don't get another tossup until round 4, if I'm interpreting this right, so flow goes...(and correct me if I'm wrong, as I don't watch it either...)

Tossup 1
Tossup 2
Round 1, started by Tossup 2 winner.
Round 2, started by player right of Tossup 2 winner.
Round 3, started by player left of Tossup 2 winner.
Tossup 3
Round 4, started by Tossup 3 winner.
(Additional rounds as needed)
etc.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

No correction needed, as you are not wrong.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Time to revive an old thread.

We'll start with Jonathan Corbblah, who was on Wheel of Fortune in 2014.

Chad Mosher, was on Wheel of Fortune in 2015.

Eliot Yates, previously on Wheel of Fortune in 2011.

There have definitely been more since the last time someone posted here, but I can't name anymore off the top of my head.
Douglas Squasoni
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

How long before I get to add myself to that list?