LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Learned League 76 - Official Thread

Post by Volante »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:22 pm After my first day in LearnedLeague, I've already learned that I'm apparently bad at defense. I turned what should have been a win into a tie.

I was surprised English horn was so sparsely answered. I'm not familiar with it other than that it exists, but the French horn isn't a woodwind, so WECIB?
A hornpipe! :? (It is a thing and it exists and it is a woodwind!)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Volante wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:55 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:22 pm After my first day in LearnedLeague, I've already learned that I'm apparently bad at defense. I turned what should have been a win into a tie.

I was surprised English horn was so sparsely answered. I'm not familiar with it other than that it exists, but the French horn isn't a woodwind, so WECIB?
But of course. :oops:
SBurrus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by SBurrus »

I evened my record for the season at 1-1-0 with a 3(2)-2(3) win on MD2 in Taiga E Division 2. Thorsten was mighty generous on the Arthurian question; the name Excalibur escaped me at the time I answered the questions and instead, I wrote "The Sword in the Stone"...and got credit for it.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I get "just answer something" . But 12% of people put an English Lord when asked for a German physicist?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:42 am I get "just answer something" . But 12% of people put an English Lord when asked for a German physicist?
I had no idea and considered Einstein. I decided it probably wasn’t him and put down Bohr. Of course, he was Danish, so that wasn’t much better.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

2 days into it. I have the 2nd highest TCA in my E Rundle. Unfortunately, I also have the highest CAA and am 0-2.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Day 1, considered english horn but went with french horn instead costing me a tie. Day 2, my opponent who was previously 3-12 on literature got excalibur only to beat me 1(2)-2(1). 0-2 to start my E rundle career was not what I had in mind. I've been defended perfectly this season as well as both days I've had 1(2).
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Volante wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:55 pm
I considered hornpipe and English horn. I figured there would likely have been a Popeye reference in the clue were it the former.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

37% get rate on rocket?! Here I am thinking that's a super gimme and it nearly got me into a tie...luckily my opponent missed a second question so my beer was safe.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:25 am 37% get rate on rocket?! Here I am thinking that's a super gimme and it nearly got me into a tie...luckily my opponent missed a second question so my beer was safe.
Yeah, that was a surprise how low it was. And "internal combustion" as the MCWA???
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:50 am
Volante wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:25 am 37% get rate on rocket?! Here I am thinking that's a super gimme and it nearly got me into a tie...luckily my opponent missed a second question so my beer was safe.
Yeah, that was a surprise how low it was. And "internal combustion" as the MCWA???
I nearly fell into that trap. I toyed with ramjet and turbojet before asking myself "what's another word for rocket?" I submitted my answer with no great sense of confidence.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Rainbow Coalition was another of those with age perhaps coming into play as I may be older than my opponent thinks and she is probably younger than I thought. I scored three points and she missed zero points. I'll squeak out a 5(4)-4(3) any way I can get it.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I had been dreading looking at my scores this morning. Missed "rocket" (said "anaerobic"), am not particularly familiar with the Hemsworth brothers, no idea on the geography question, guessed "Davis cup" for the soccer question, knew they were talking about the Hell's Kitchen guy but couldn't pull his name. Managed to get Rainbow Coalition thanks to being "of a certain age", as they say. To my extreme surprise, I woke up to my first-ever Buckner win, 3(1)-2(3). I'll take it!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Two of my three wins so far have been by forfeit. I feel dirty.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

I must be the easiest person to defend in LL, another day where I'm defended perfectly. But, today I played perfect D, but didn't matter in my 4(4)-6(5) loss to drop to 0-3 in E rundle. I got locked in on the actor looking like Matt Damon, but I also couldn't think of any known brother actors other than the Afflecks and the image certainly did not resemble them. Doesn't help that I don't think I've seen any Hemsworth movie but could see the resemblance after submitting. I was debating between Solomon, Marshall, and Phillipines, and went with the Phillipines. I've looked up Guadalcanal before but couldn't place it for sure.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

alietr wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:50 am
This was one of those questions where the answer was so obvious that the actual word didn't even cross my mind. While I was picturing in my mind a rocket on a launch pad with its built-in fuel tanks, it never dawned on me that Thorsten was looking for "rocket". I'm thinking there was some term that I just didn't know. (Shoulda picked up on "most common term" in the question.) So, of course, I assigned a 3, but I don't feel so bad, as 40% of my A rundle missed it. And my opponent graced me with a 3 on World Cup, on which I'm thinking WECIB? What large stadium tournament event has typically been played in an outdoor arena?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

RandyG wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:47 pm What large stadium tournament event has typically been played in an outdoor arena?
All I could come up with was NCAA Baseball.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

Volante wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:55 pm After my first day in LearnedLeague, I've already learned that I'm apparently bad at defense. I turned what should have been a win into a tie.

I put bassoon because I didn't read the "horn" part. I'm not sure if I would have put English horn anyway.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

I guessed wrong on the archipelago one...I put Marshall Islands :/

At least I still won, with a little help from crappy defense (8(4)-4(4)).
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

Here's an ethical question for you fine folks.

I often look at the questions when I first wake up in the morning. It's one way to help my lazy ass mobilize in the morning and get the juices flowing. If there are any questions that I feel like I could pull if I thought about it for a bit, I'll just close the window and come back to it during my lunch break at work.

If, between seeing the questions and submitting your answers, you happen to come across the answer to one of the questions in some way. Would it be cheating or otherwise unethical to submit the right answer? Is your answer different for the following scenarios?
  • You picked up a newspaper and the answer is in one of the articles
  • You walk by a TV, and the talking head mentions the answer
  • Someone who is not a player in LL brings it up in conversation, unprompted
Let's suppose that you've at least heard of the answer, and you are unsure if you would have come up with the right answer independently.