Friday, February 16, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, February 16, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey »

I just checked to be sure - a "perambulator" is an important element in the plot of The Importance of Being Earnest. One of those works and authors that comes up repeatedly on J! - and indirectly informative for this FJ!
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Golf wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:24 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:06 pm It's great having a boardie on the show, but it's too bad these good players are one and done. It just increases my disdain for the paltry 2nd/3rd place prizes. Pay these contestant's expenses dammit!
Or perhaps they're not that good if they are getting beat?
But how can any of these people prove their true worth without a cage match bonus round?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:06 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:55 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:43 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:41 pm
davey wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:05 pm what fictional land has many children as residents?
Why would we assume they were still children?
Because we drew an inference from "the least useful part of the entire clue."
You don't need to be condescending about it.
Sorry, I was looking through your posting history to see whether you said you'd gotten FJ right or not before I answered you, and I couldn't resist when I saw you said that about the clearest link the clue had to children.
Yeah, I'm just mad that TOM didn't hit me like it should have and cost me a five-for-five week, I guess.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

OSXpert wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:52 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:35 am If you don't know what a perambulator is then this is literally impossible.
I mean, you have "Fake place" and "England" so even if you don't have any other pieces of information you could narrow things down to some famous fictional lands created by Brits like:

Wonderland, Neverland, Middle Earth, Narnia, Hogwarts (and maybe Lilliput, but that's Ireland).
"Kensington Gardens" could be anywhere. If you don't know that's in England either, then this clue is even more impossible
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

You know, now that I think about it, I have neither seen nor read Peter Pan.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:33 pm
OSXpert wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:52 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:35 am If you don't know what a perambulator is then this is literally impossible.
I mean, you have "Fake place" and "England" so even if you don't have any other pieces of information you could narrow things down to some famous fictional lands created by Brits like:

Wonderland, Neverland, Middle Earth, Narnia, Hogwarts (and maybe Lilliput, but that's Ireland).
"Kensington Gardens" could be anywhere. If you don't know that's in England either, then this clue is even more impossible
I wasn’t so sure about the location of Kensington Gardens (seemed vaguely British...) but perambulator got me there.

And if I ever get a question about Kensington Gardens, I’ll be ready!
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Count me as a WONDERLAND vote also. I was rooting against Vinay since I hate when people start anecdotes with "So..." Anyway, it's nice to see a multi-game winner!
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Since I'm noticing people uncertain about Kensington Gardens... notwithstanding Kensington Market in Toronto, Kensington is definitely a huge London (UK) tip-off. The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea is one of the most affluent areas of the city and has very high-value real estate as well as some of the best-kept squares (the type with railings and gardens). As well as containing the Royal Albert Hall, the V&A, the Royal College of Music and Imperial College, the Borough has Kensington Palace, best known at the moment for being the residence of the Cambridges (Prince William and family) and Prince Harry and Meghan Markle.

So probably lots of meat for J! clues.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:40 pm Since I'm noticing people uncertain about Kensington Gardens... notwithstanding Kensington Market in Toronto, Kensington is definitely a huge London (UK) tip-off. The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea is one of the most affluent areas of the city and has very high-value real estate as well as some of the best-kept squares (the type with railings and gardens). As well as containing the Royal Albert Hall, the V&A, the Royal College of Music and Imperial College, the Borough has Kensington Palace, best known at the moment for being the residence of the Cambridges (Prince William and family) and Prince Harry and Meghan Markle.

Ha, I now realize that "sounds vaguely British" is an understatement. Good Jeopardy fodder, indeed!!
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:18 pm I found a blog post Vinay made in October 2012: http://vinaykadiyala.blogspot.com/2012/ ... raphy.html

That included this interesting passage:

In addition to my passion for medicine, I have many other interests and hobbies. I am a huge trivia buff. This November will mark the third time that I have successfully passed the online test and have been selected for a national audition to appear on the Jeopardy television show. In high school, I was the captain of my school’s quiz bowl team, and I can spend hours just taking quizzes on Sporcle.

The years of prep paid off with a strong showing.
Having been rejected from the pool and am excitedly ready to take the test and audition again (just locked in my audition city recently) it gives me hope to see tales of other people who wait years for their dream to be realized and I shouldn’t worry about when I don’t get picked.
Ironhorse wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:41 pm LT: Alabama, Ron Burgundy, Daniel
Should “Alabama” be counted in the Jeopardy! Drinking Game along with “Dracula” as a word he always has to pronounce comically? (In Alabama’s case he always says it quickly)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

If you've read any of the Alice books, she doesn't encounter any children from England like her.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
Magnoliasims
Contributor

Post by Magnoliasims »

RobW wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:58 pm
CailinGaoilge wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:40 pm Since I'm noticing people uncertain about Kensington Gardens... notwithstanding Kensington Market in Toronto, Kensington is definitely a huge London (UK) tip-off. The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea is one of the most affluent areas of the city and has very high-value real estate as well as some of the best-kept squares (the type with railings and gardens). As well as containing the Royal Albert Hall, the V&A, the Royal College of Music and Imperial College, the Borough has Kensington Palace, best known at the moment for being the residence of the Cambridges (Prince William and family) and Prince Harry and Meghan Markle.

Ha, I now realize that "sounds vaguely British" is an understatement. Good Jeopardy fodder, indeed!!
Very easy FJ, I thought.
I memorized the Mary Martin LP of Peter Pan when in third grade. In fourth grade, our class performed it on stage. I played Liza, the maid.
After fifth grade, my family moved to Kew Gardens -- in Queens, New York, not London.
In 1991, I moved near the Brooklyn, NY, neighborhood of Kensington. The streets there have names such as Albemarle, Beverley, Stratford, Westminister, Argyle, Rugby, Marlborough, Dorchester, et al.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:32 pm You know, now that I think about it, I have neither seen nor read Peter Pan.
Lucky you. My son had a video of the movie he watched constantly as a youngster. Despite having to sit through it way too many times, I never got to Neverland on this one. I went with Narnia.

I opened the triple trap door when this was a TS:
11781830_1101163056579829_7795088810973659487_n.jpg
11781830_1101163056579829_7795088810973659487_n.jpg (132.09 KiB) Viewed 3907 times
DavidRosen
Valued Contributor

Post by DavidRosen »

The Kensington Gardens tip was a reference to the original J M Barrie novel, Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

bump for rerun

Probably had the weirdest guess for FJ. :? Thought babies falling out of a perambulator at Kensington Gardens was a reference to Cabbage Patch Kids. :lol: