Monday, February 19, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, February 19, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7701, 2018-02-19

Rob Worman game 4.

CONTESTANTS
Florence Garbini, a pilot from Brighton, Colorado
Kate Logan, a medical transcriptionist from Hoosick Falls, New York
Rob Worman, an escalation manager from Edina, Minnesota (whose 3-day cash winnings total $54,299)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Our returning champion, Rob. I love that you always put a smiley face when you write your name on the screen. He had a big win on Friday last. Florence and Kate, you should be hoping for the same kind of thing happening to you today. Good luck to all of you. Here we go. The Jeopardy! Round, and these categories now in play...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE COMPANY'S ANIMAL MASCOT (5/5)
MYSTERY & CRIME NOVELS (2/5)
TABLE TENNIS, ANYONE? (4/4)
"LADY" (4/5)
STICKY STUFF (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE G8 (3/3)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Rob: 11 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Kate: 7 R, 1 W
Florence: 4 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Kate: $1,800
Rob: $400
Florence: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Florence Garbini is from Brighton, Colorado. We introduced you as a pilot. You have spent a lot of time in the air, and now, I understand, you're spending a lot of time underwater.

Florence: Yes, it's true.

Alex: You have a special certification.

Florence: Yeah, we got certified as rescue divers, my husband and I. So we have over 75 dives, we've taken a lot of extra training, and we've dove many places around the world. It's a lot of fun.

Alex: Terrific.

Alex: Kate Logan is from Hoosick Falls, New York. Piano player since the age of 5. And have you kept it up?

Kate: Yes, indeed I have, Alex.

Alex: Classical? Modern stuff? What do you play? Jazz?

Kate: I play classical and a lot of Broadway. You give me anything, I'll sight-read it for you.

Alex: Favorite Broadway composer.

Kate: Stephen Sondheim is up there. And Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Alex: We had a clue about him on the show last week.

Kate: Oh.

Alex: Yeah.

Alex: Rob Worman is our champion. He is from Minnesota. He can sing the alphabet song backwards. Notice I'm not putting you on the spot.

Rob: I could. [Singing] Z-Y-X-W-V-U-T-S-R-Q-P-O-N-M-L-K-J-I-H-G-F-E-D-C-B and A.

Alex: A. Okay.

[Applause]

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Rob found the Daily Double on the 22nd clue. Rob had $3,600, Kate had $1,800, and Florence was at $400. Rob made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,600.

STICKY STUFF $1000: Shipyards & pillows were good sources for the elements of this 2-part process used to punish & humiliate in colonial times
(Alex: And we have less than a minute to go.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MYSTERY & CRIME NOVELS $200: Dr. Laszlo Kreizler of Caleb Carr's "The Alienist" is this type of professional tracking a killer in 1896
(Florence: What is a detective?)

"LADY" $800: A vocal group got its name by adding "Black Mambazo" to this native town in South Africa
(Florence: What is Johannesburg?)

MYSTERY & CRIME NOVELS $600: A fellow "tunnel rat" from this war may be the culprit LAPD detective Harry Bosch is looking for in "The Black Echo"

MYSTERY & CRIME NOVELS $800: When a boy falls to his death, "Smilla's Sense of Snow" in this Scandinavian country helps prove it was murder
(Rob: What is Norway?)
(Kate: What is Finland?)
(Alex: [As Florence rings in] Florence, they narrowed it down.)
(Florence: What is Sweden?)

STICKY STUFF $800: The logo for this product shows a worker in a hard hat hanging from the letter A
(Rob: What is Super Glue?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Rob: $8,400
Kate: $3,400
Florence: $400
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, February 19, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MILITARY GAME PLANS (2/3)
TAYLOR MADE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
IT'S ALL A MIRAGE (3/5)
1970s MOVIES (3/5)
REGION NAME'S THE SAME (2/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE "G" 8 (1/3)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Rob: 10 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Kate: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 4 W
Florence: 2 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 25
Triple Stumpers: 9
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $14,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Rob snagged the next Daily Double on the 16th clue. Rob had $12,000, Kate had $3,800, and Florence was at $800. Rob wagered $4,000.

TAYLOR MADE $1600: Canvas Converse All-Star sneakers bear the name of this man, an ex-hoopster turned shoe salesman

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Rob who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 18th clue. Rob had $18,000, Kate had $3,800, and Florence was at $800. Rob wagered $4,000.

REGION NAME'S THE SAME $1200: This body of water pops up in region names in Egypt, Eritrea & Sudan

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE "G" 8 $1200: Nickname for one very interested in the engines of Fairlanes or Fokkers

1970s MOVIES $1600: It's this 1974 Jack Nicholson L.A.-set mystery, Jake

IT'S ALL A MIRAGE $1600: His "Seven Pillars of Wisdom" mentions watching a mirage as "the heat of Arabia came out like a drawn sword"

IT'S ALL A MIRAGE $2000: That's no UFO, it's the double mirage known as this, partly after an Arthurian enchantress
(Kate: Who is Morgan le Fay?)

THE "G" 8 $2000: Referring to its powerful jaws, used to crack seeds, the name of this finch is from the French for "large bill"
(Kate: What is a grackle?)

REGION NAME'S THE SAME $1600: Regions in Bolivia & Argentina & a University of California city share this name for a holy object
(Florence: What is Sacramento?)
(Kate: What is the Grail?)

REGION NAME'S THE SAME $2000: Areas in Morocco & this Mediterranean island country were named Rabat by Arabs
(Florence: What is Gibraltar?)

1970s MOVIES $800: This not-at-all Christmasy film about demonic possession opened on December 26, 1973
(Kate: What is The Omen?)
(Rob: What is The Amityville Horror?)

MILITARY GAME PLANS $2000: In late 1944 your 3rd U.S. Army will take Metz, then it's ground & pound to cross the Saar River
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Rob: $21,600 (lock game)
Kate: $2,600
Florence: -$1,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE SUPREME COURT

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place.
Rob: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $16,399 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Kate: You've no hope of catching up... unless Rob does something stupid. So risk as much as $2,599; you needn't worry about falling into third place.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In the 1966 case of this man, Earl Warren wrote of eliminating "evils in the interrogation process"

FINAL SCORES
Kate: $2,600 + $2,600 = $5,200 (Who is Miranda?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Rob: $21,600 + $16,399 = $37,999 (Who is Miranda?) (4-day champion: $92,298)
(Alex: [To Kate] If I can't make out what you have written out there, you have the right to remain silent.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $18,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Rob: $13,800, 21 R (including 3 DDs), 4 W
Kate: $2,600, 11 R, 5 W
Florence: -$1,200, 6 R, 5 W
Combined Coryat: $15,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Rob: 22/61 = .361
Kate: 12/58 = .207
Florence: 6/58 = .103
Team: 40/63 = .635

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE G8 $800: Until 1990 the group included this country that ceased to exist that year
(Kate: What is East Germany? West--)
(Alex: [Overlapping] No.)
(Kate: --Germany. Excuse me.)
(Alex: Say it--)
(Kate: What is [*]?)
(Alex: Yes, you corrected yourself. Good.)

"LADY" $1000: These footwear orchids are named for the shape of their flowers

THE COMPANY'S ANIMAL MASCOT $800: Last name of the tennis player seen here; the crocodile logo on his coat would become a fashion icon

TABLE TENNIS, ANYONE? $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew demonstrates a paddle grip.) To employ the Western or standard grip, keep the thumb on one side & fingers on the other, pointing down, as though you were giving it this greeting

TABLE TENNIS, ANYONE? $200: A 1971 visit by an American team led to the thawing of relations between the U.S. & this country
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

THE "G" 8 $1600: "Place of the skull" in Matthew 27
(Rob: What is Gibraltar?)

MILITARY GAME PLANS $1200: This conqueror loves to blitz--he'll invade N.E. China in 1211 & take down Beijing in the backfield in 4 years
(Alex: With less than a minute now.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
tarring and feathering
a psychiatrist
Ladysmith
the Vietnam War
Denmark
Krazy Glue
Chuck Taylor
the Red Sea
gearhead
Chinatown
Lawrence of Arabia, or T.E. Lawrence
the Fata Morgana
a grosbeak
Santa Cruz
Malta
The Exorcist
George S. Patton
Ernesto Miranda
West Germany
a lady's slipper
(René) Lacoste
the handshake
China
Golgotha
Genghis Khan
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE SUPREME COURT

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In the 1966 case of this man, Earl Warren wrote of eliminating “evils in the interrogation process”

Rob Worman: 21600+16399=37999 (4x = $92,298)
Kate Logan: 2600+2600=5200
Florence Garbini: minus 1200

Correct response:
Spoiler
Miranda

Daily Doubles
Rob: 3600+3600
Rob: 12000+4000
Rob: 18000+4000

Coryats
Rob: 13800
Kate: 2600
Florence: minus 1200

Combined: 15,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Rob: 8400
Kate: 3400
Florence: 400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Part of a post I made in the Current Events thread last month:
Spoiler
TNT show: The Alienist with Daniel Brühl, Luke Evans & Dakota Fanning based on Caleb Carr bestseller from 1994, the first in the Kriezler series. Alienist is an archaic term for psychiatrist or psychologist. Theodore Roosevelt is a police commissioner.
Rob and Florence struck out on their attempts on two different clues to have Gibraltar as a correct response.

Florence had little go right in the game, but she got to respond correctly to the Florence Nightingale clue with her “of” while Alex wisely included “with” as acceptable as well.

1970s MOVIES went Rob (2), Kate (1), a double miss and a TS. It had better results for home viewers of the right age or a movie fan in general of any age.

The FJ! clue was major advantage leader and Rob more than took advantage of his +11600 on DDs edge with the huge bet.

Florence was shown returning to spot 3 for the after chat with the entrance from the side.

That’s five players on the TOC Tracker and three of them start with the letter R. Rob can jump to the top spot tomorrow with any kind of win.

For those that speed watch the show slow down and catch the promo between the DJ! and FJ! rounds for the upcoming online tests and play Romper Room. I see Rachel, Gerard and Adrianne. There’s Scarlett. And Nan! The grid of many faces was cool.
Spoiler
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:18 pm

For those that speed watch the show slow down and catch the promo between the DJ! and FJ! rounds for the upcoming online tests and play Romper Room. I see Rachel, Gerard and Adrianne. There’s Scarlett. And Nan! The grid of many faces was cool.
[/spoiler]
Brandon as well, with his unforgettable reaction.

That was a pretty easy FJ.
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

FRANK SPANGENBERG STYLE WAGERING

I like it a lot!!
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I saw no way to figure out "psychiatrist" in the top box, since they don't normally track crimes, and "Detective" seemed a perfectly cromulent response. Poll request?

How was I supposed to know that Table Tennis for $200 was referring to China and not any other big country? Or maybe a small country? I saw no TOM at all in that clue.

That whole Crime Novels category seemed very YEKIOYD, especially given the triple neg on Denmark.

Lacoste was my only miss in the Animal Mascots category, and the album my only miss in the Sticky category.

Absolutely no guess on FJ!

Lach Trash: Krazy Glue, The Exorcist
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Superb work once again Rob!! I love how you aren't afraid to make big wagers when the time arises; paid off today, and maybe in the long run as you're in good position on the ToC tracker now. I'm hoping to see a nice highlight package on the show's site this time tomorrow!

Near-instaget Final here. Had to check to make sure my years weren't mixed up, but the information from Final in Eddie Timanus' first game helped. :D Always nice to start the week with a correct response, no matter the route.

ETA: I too greatly enjoyed seeing the wall of champs' faces in the online test ad.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Continuing congrats and retro good luck to Rob.

I had a bit of a derp moment on the "Alienist" clue, considering that I've seen the episodes so far, but do you think that there's an argument for accepting "profiler" as an alternate answer for "psychiatrist"?

I feel as if movies are more of a weakness than a strength for me, but being in my mid-50's helped me do well in the '70's category. Also instagot FJ!.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Rob, any significance to the ear tug that you would be willing to share? It looked very much like something besides, "hmm, my ear itches".

Loved the wagering today.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Coryat: $18,600
DDs: 2/3
FJ!: :(

Even though it was 3 years later, seeing Warren in the clue led me down the garden path towards JFK/Warren Commission, so I put down Jack Ruby.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Thought there might have been outcry to the Germany clue where Kate was credited with West Germany after she corrected herself from East after Alex said no (and, when asked to repeat, said "West" as if East never happened.) Personally I don't have nearly as much problem with that as I do with them claiming that West Germany ceased to exist in 1990. Technically it didn't, it still exists. In 1990 the states of East Germany became states of West Germany (aka the Federal Republic of Germany), making East Germany cease to exist but making the Federal Republic of Germany bigger. "West Germany" was never the name, just a way of identifying the Germanies (Germanys?). Since the Federal Republic still exists, but the East one doesn't we don't need to call it West any more, even though it's the same country.

Kate demonstrated once again why you shouldn't guess (which it looks like she did many times), was surprised it was Florence and not her that wound up in the red.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

NoWhammies10 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:00 pm Coryat: $18,600
DDs: 2/3
FJ!: :(

Even though it was 3 years later, seeing Warren in the clue led me down the garden path towards JFK/Warren Commission, so I put down Jack Ruby.
I did for the longest time too, but rereading the clue (and figuring it wouldn't take 3-4 years) got me to Miranda in a "lightbulb moment".
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

32 right.

Mascot (5), Mystery/Crime Novels (1), Table Tennis (2), "LADY" (3), Sticky (4), G8 (3)
Military (2), Taylor (4), Mirage (2), 1970's Movies (4), Region (2), "G" 8 (0)

Lach Trash: Vietnam War, Chinatown, Malta, The Exorcist, General George S. Patton

Instaget FJ.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Does anyone have the wording of the Scandinavia clue? Something about "Simi's Sense of Snow" led me to take the alliterative route and guess Sweden.
Trash: Crazy Glue, Chinatown (Yeah, I got a movie TS :geek: ), Fata Morgana.
The last clue involving Patton made no sense to me. Couldn't figure out what was supposed to be the question.
FJ! was easy. Should've made it a little challenging by asking the name of the case.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

heppm01 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:50 pm Rob, any significance to the ear tug that you would be willing to share? It looked very much like something besides, "hmm, my ear itches".
From previous Rob posts:
I had three very enthusiastic cheerleaders. (my wife, her mom and aunt)
+
shameless flirtation with a hottie in the audience!   :oops:

So as long as the answer is wife...
DBear wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:37 pm Does anyone have the wording of the Scandinavia clue? Something about "Simi's Sense of Snow" led me to take the alliterative route and guess Sweden.
 MYSTERY & CRIME NOVELS $800: When a boy falls to his death, “Smilla’s Sense of Snow” in this Scandinavian country helps prove it was murder
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

DBear wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:37 pm Does anyone have the wording of the Scandinavia clue? Something about "Simi's Sense of Snow" led me to take the alliterative route and guess Sweden.
Per Fikkle Fame: When a boy falls to his death, “Smilla’s Sense of Snow” in this Scandinavian country helps prove it was murder
Spoiler
What is Denmark?
The title has about a dozen hits in the Archive, but this is the first time they've asked for the country.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

RKane wrote: FRANK SPANGENBERG STYLE WAGERING

I like it a lot!!
Yeah Rob, way to sock it to them for serving up that softball FJ clue.

LT: Vietnam war, Chinatown, The Exorcist, grosbeak
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Not a great game today with tons of LT. it's a shame none of them knew Michael Connolly, whose Harry Bosch novels are great. Really easy FJ.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

R: 20, W: 5, costing 4000
coryat: 9800
FJ: :mrgreen:
DD: 1/3
LT: The Exorcist

I'll start off with one for the judges on the first clue of the game: Ukraine instead of Crimea? I called it wrong, because Ukraine isn't really a region, it's a whole country.

I counted 12 TS clues today. No wonder there were so many left on the boards. It takes a bit of time to deal with those, especially with the wrong guesses along the way. Interesting that because of Rob's penchant for starting in the middle and heading down, all of the unseen clues were in the top two rows. Even Florence got into that near the end of the game by heading to the bottom to try to get back on the positive side of the ledger.

At least I know where my right to remain silent comes from. ;) Too bad I needed to use it way too often in the DJ round. I only managed 7 right answers in that one today. Not very good at all.

I'll be cheering for one more win for Rob tomorrow. He certainly deserves to secure a place in the next TOC.
--Peter