Tuesday, February 20, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! »

sarisson wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:38 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:08 pm If the FJ! clue’s wording had left off the English translation I wonder if it still goes 4/4 including me?
It would've been a triple stumper for most groups of contestants. And even if the clue writers had gone the other, easier way and left off the Portuguese term, the curse of knowledge could've struck someone: there are several Hawaiian birds- most notably the i'iwi- which behave and look similarly to hummingbirds but are really part of the honeycreeper family.
I might have overthought it without the translation. My initial instinct with the Portuguese hint was that it would be a Eurasian bird, but quickly realized there are a lot of Portuguese speakers in South America. :)

Anyone else feed hummingbirds in their yard? We have a few that are year round residents. Very interesting and bold little birds.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:35 pm Anyone else feed hummingbirds in their yard? We have a few that are year round residents. Very interesting and bold little birds.
No feeder although I see them out back throughout the year no matter the weather. Small and not easy to see in the center.
Spoiler
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:31 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:35 pm Anyone else feed hummingbirds in their yard? We have a few that are year round residents. Very interesting and bold little birds.
No feeder although I see them out back throughout the year no matter the weather. Small and not easy to see in the center.
Spoiler
It's a huge deal and cause for celebration when we get a hummingbird in our yard. Although we have honeysuckle and native prairie plants, they seem to be especially drawn to an annual Salvia variety called "Black and Bloom."
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:31 am
Spoiler
Here's one at my backyard feeder (Anna's hummingbird)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Johnblue wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:34 pm I didn't recognize Reese Witherspoon. She looks suspiciously younger.
Her whole schtick is "looking suspiciously younger", so I can't see how you didn't recognize her.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:56 am Here's one at my backyard feeder (Anna's hummingbird)
I see plenty of your amazing outdoor photos, but this one is particularly breathtaking.
Sprinkles are for winners.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Even with 5 clues left on the board in J!, it felt like the round's intro and outro were very tightly edited. Probably the looooong intro to that Wrinkle in Time category.

I also bit hard on the Hamilton negbait. That was waaaaaay too easy a trap.

I lose out on the Barton/Nightingale coinflip yet again.

Ran 4 "F".

I actually read A Wrinkle in Time in elementary school, but it's been way too long, and I recall absolutely nothing from it.

Asking for Madeline L'engle in the top box seemed ridiculously steep since all of her other works seem extremely obscure compared to Wrinkle.

Will a wheelhouse category finally pull me out of my FJ! rut? Nope. I spent the whole 30 seconds trying to turn "Beija flor" into something that sounded like the English name of a bird, and came up empty-handed.

Lach Trash: staff of life
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:34 am I also bit hard on the Hamilton negbait. That was waaaaaay too easy a trap.
No. Just no. Hamilton was never VP, and he certainly didn't live into the 1830s.

The Portuguese name for hummingbirds comes off more genteel than the Spanish chuparrosa—"rose sucker."
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:08 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:34 am I also bit hard on the Hamilton negbait. That was waaaaaay too easy a trap.
No. Just no. Hamilton was never VP, and he certainly didn't live into the 1830s.
Then why did the contestant make the same mistake?
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:26 am
seaborgium wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:08 am
Then why did the contestant make the same mistake?
Because he hurried and didn't think the clue through. Nerves. Money on the line. Millions watching at home. The Lights.

None of that makes the clue negbaity. The writers gave plenty of information to let someone with a cursory grasp of U.S. history and theater/pop culture know that they were looking for a person portrayed in Hamilton, but not Hamilton himself.
Sprinkles are for winners.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:40 am None of that makes the clue negbaity. The writers gave plenty of information to let someone with a cursory grasp of U.S. history and theater/pop culture know that they were looking for a person portrayed in Hamilton, but not Hamilton himself.
"Blah blah blah blah blah blah politician blah blah blah character on Broadway." Yeah, I can see 999,999 out of 1,000,000 negging with "Hamilton" on that.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

RobW wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:26 pm this game was painful to watch - I can't explain all of those wacky misses. (Gandhi? Urdu? 7 Deadly Sins? Thanksgiving in MARCH??

I can only guess I was still coming down from the adrenaline rush of the "previous day's" big win?

If I hadn't made the big comeback and pulled it off, I'd be kicking myself for a looooooong time over this game.
It's not painful to watch you win though, keep up the retro good work!
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:46 am
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:40 am None of that makes the clue negbaity. The writers gave plenty of information to let someone with a cursory grasp of U.S. history and theater/pop culture know that they were looking for a person portrayed in Hamilton, but not Hamilton himself.
"Blah blah blah blah blah blah politician blah blah blah character on Broadway." Yeah, I can see 999,999 out of 1,000,000 negging with "Hamilton" on that.
You're allowed to read all the words. (the "blah"s, so to speak) It's actually encouraged.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:20 am You're allowed to read all the words. (the "blah"s, so to speak) It's actually encouraged.
Then why are there so many other clues where they throw what feels like an entire novel's length of irrelevant garbage that is completely immaterial to getting the clue right? It seems like the trick is "focus only on the TOM except when you need to focus on ALL of the clue"
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:22 am an entire novel's length of irrelevant garbage that is completely immaterial to getting the clue right
citation needed
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:28 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:22 am an entire novel's length of irrelevant garbage that is completely immaterial to getting the clue right
citation needed
See "any Clue Crew or video clue ever"
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Some clues are short, some clues are long.
Most are all spoken, but some include song.
It's part of the game, it's not hocus pocus,
deciding on which words you might wish to focus.
It's not always easy to pick out the TOM,
but try to treat failure with grace and aplomb.
Sometimes it seems clues go by in a blur,
but in this case VP pointed clearly to Burr.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Replace a couple of the blahs with “died 1836”.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Johnblue wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:34 pm I didn't recognize Reese Witherspoon. She looks suspiciously younger.
She's supposed to be the youngest Mrs., but Mindy Kaling is younger.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
guessonguessonguess
Valued Contributor

Post by guessonguessonguess »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:46 am
I don't think that there's anything wrong with "negbait" or similar "trickery" on Jeopardy!, but I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment that most people would go with Hamilton as a guess if forced to play. That doesn't necessarily make the clue negbait, but it's slightly misleading for sure.