Thursday, March 1, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, March 1, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7709, 2018-03-01

First regular-play game to end in a Tiebreaker Round.

CONTESTANTS
Sarah Norris, a technical writer and manager from Minneapolis, Minnesota
Scott Krzywonos, an editor from Levittown, Pennsylvania
Laura McLean, a data analyst from Nashville, Tennessee (whose 1-day cash winnings total $12,799)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome, everyone. $12,199 is a little below our average for winnings by Jeopardy! champions, so my wish for these three players today is that the categories that come up are very much to your liking, because if that's the case, you'll win a lot of money. Sarah, Scott, Laura, good luck. Here we go. Now those categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THAT'S ABOUT THE SIZE OF IT (5/5)
FOOD FRANCHISES (5/5)
HISTORIC TRIOS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
MAILING IT IN (5/5) (Alex: All about stuff you can actually mail as-is if you put an address on it and a stamp.)
ERIN (3/5)
GO "BRA" (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sarah: 11 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Laura: 7 R, 3 W
Scott: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Scott found the Daily Double on the 4th clue. Laura had $400, Scott had $200, and Sarah was at $200. Scott wagered $1,000.

HISTORIC TRIOS $600: As its name suggests, this caravel was the smallest of Columbus' ships in 1492
(Scott: What is the Pinta?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Sarah: $2,400
Laura: $1,800
Scott: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Sarah Norris is from Minneapolis, and she prepared for her appearance on our program in a very special way, thanks to a friend.

Sarah: Yes. Yes, actually my long-term boyfriend, Noah, built me an app. There are Jeopardy! freaks on line and they have made all the questions from old Jeopardy!'s available, and he made a way that I could get them on my phone and study.

Alex: You're doing all right so far.

Alex: Scott Krzywonos from Levittown, Pennsylvania. Your friends made a wager with you of significant amounts.

Scott: Yeah, they started a GoFundMe page to try to raise $5,000 to get me to not shave my head for 6 months. They raised $5.

[Laughter]

Alex: Shows you how good your friends are. All right.

Alex: Laura McLean is a data analyst from Nashville, Tennessee, who has a tattoo of her family's crest. And what is special about it?

Laura: Well, it has a branch of laurel, which is also the meaning of my first name, and also a branch of cypress, and together, laurel and cypress mean "victory or death." So hopefully that's a good sign.

Alex: "Victory or death" on Jeopardy!

Laura: Yes.

Alex: Hello. Okay.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
GO "BRA" $600: "Starting Here, Starting Now" ends the 1966 album "Color Me" this first name
(Laura: What is Debra?)

GO "BRA" $1000: A person born in Israel

ERIN $800: This CNN anchor tries to stay ahead of the news on her show "Out Front"
(Laura: Who is Erin Anderson?)

ERIN $1000: Erin Mouré, a poet from this country, won a Governor General's Award for "Furious"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Sarah: $5,200
Laura: $3,000
Scott: $1,600
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, March 1, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ALIMENTARY SCHOOL (1/4, including 1 missed Daily Double)
14-LETTER WORDS (5/5)
GETTING THE BAND BACK TOGETHER (5/5)
SEEING THINGS DIFFERENTLY (5/5)
SUCH NOVEL CHARACTERS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
WE'LL TAKE YOUR MEASURE! (3/4)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Laura: 11 R, 0 W
Sarah: 8 R, 2 W
Scott: 4 R, 2 W (including 2 DDs)

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Scott snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Laura had $3,000, Scott had $3,200, and Sarah was at $6,000. Scott wagered $3,000.

SUCH NOVEL CHARACTERS $2000: During the French Revolution, Sir Percy Blakeney disguises himself as this hero to rescue the wrongly jailed
(Scott: Who is the Man in the Iron Mask?)
(Alex: "You seek him here, you seek him there.")

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Scott who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 27th clue. Laura had $15,000, Scott had $5,000, and Sarah was at $13,600. Scott wagered $1,000.

ALIMENTARY SCHOOL $1600: Often changing in shape, this organ contains both cardiac & pyloric sphincters
(Scott: What is the heart?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ALIMENTARY SCHOOL $800: This slimy membrane lines the organs & passages of the alimentary canal
(Sarah: What is saliva?)

WE'LL TAKE YOUR MEASURE! $1200: Consult a galvanometer to measure amperes of this

ALIMENTARY SCHOOL $2000: From the Greek for "throat", this passageway has nasal & oral sections
(Sarah: What is the esophagus?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Laura: $15,000
Sarah: $11,600
Scott: $4,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
EUROPEAN ISLANDS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Laura: Wager $8,201 to cover Sarah. Or, you could try out a Shoretegic bet of $201.
Sarah: You'll want to wager between $3,401 (venusian) and $3,599 (martian), and you'll win the game if Laura wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Scott: You can't really win on a Triple Stumper, so your best hope is if you're the only one to get Final right. Wager everything but a few dollars.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Once known as the Norman Isles, per the British government this group is "not part of the U.K." & has "never been colonies"

FINAL SCORES
Scott: $4,000 - $3,995 = $5 (What are the Canary Islands?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Sarah: $11,600 - $4,801 = $6,799 (What are the Faroe Islands) (2nd place: $2,000)
Laura: $15,000 - $8,201 = $6,799 (What the Shetland Islands) (Winner)
(Alex: [To Laura] The correct response is, "What are [*]?" Guernsey, Jersey and those.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $7,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Laura: $15,000, 18 R, 3 W
Sarah: $11,600, 19 R, 3 W
Scott: $9,000, 11 R, 5 W (including 3 DDs)
Combined Coryat: $35,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Sarah: 19/58 = .328
Laura: 18/58 = .310
Scott: 11/61 = .180
Team: 48/63 = .762

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
HISTORIC TRIOS $200: Crassus, Pompey & this guy made up the first Roman triumvirate
(Scott: Who is Mark Anthony?)

GO "BRA" $400: This butterfly is named for a much larger animal

MAILING IT IN $800: Charlie Brown's in luck if he wants to paint an address on one of these he got over & over on Halloween in a TV special
(Scott: What is a pumpkin?)

THAT'S ABOUT THE SIZE OF IT $200: This smallest U.S. state can fit inside the Big Island of Hawaii

THAT'S ABOUT THE SIZE OF IT $400: Think there are a lot of people in the eastern United States? Compare this country and there's clearly room for a billion

THAT'S ABOUT THE SIZE OF IT $600: With no Mercator projection, this island from up north doesn't look so big--it's smaller than Argentina

THAT'S ABOUT THE SIZE OF IT $800: If you take this country out of South America, it would stretch from the Barents Sea down to the Persian Gulf

THAT'S ABOUT THE SIZE OF IT $1000: This Scandinavian country is larger than California, but California has 30 million more people

ERIN $400: Erin Moran was Joanie, the non-nose-twitching daughter on this 1970s sitcom
(Laura: What is Bewitched?)
(Sarah: What is I Dream of Jeannie?)

WE'LL TAKE YOUR MEASURE! $800: Anemometers measure this, especially in a tunnel
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Niña
Barbra
a Sabra
Erin Burnett
Canada
the Scarlet Pimpernel
the stomach
mucus membrane
electrical current
the pharynx
the Channel Islands
Caesar
a zebra butterfly
a rock
Rhode Island
India
Greenland
Chile
Sweden
Happy Days
wind speed
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
EUROPEAN ISLANDS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Once known as the Norman Isles, per the British Govt. this group is “not part of the U.K.” & has “never been colonies”

Laura McLean: 15000-8201=6799 (2x = $19,598)
Scott Krzywonos: 4000-3995=5
Sarah Norris: 11600-4801=6799

Correct response:
Spoiler
Channel Islands (Laura – Shetland Islands) (Scott – Canary Islands) (Sarah – Faroe Islands)
TIEBREAKER CATEGORY
WAY BACK IN 2017

TIEBREAKER CLUE
Her April decision to call a snap parliamentary election proved less than brilliant on June 8

Correct response:
Spoiler
Theresa May (Laura – Who is May?)
Daily Doubles
Scott: 200-1000
Scott: 3200-3000
Scott: 5000-1000

Coryats
Laura: 15000
Scott: 9000
Sarah: 11600

Combined: 35,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Laura: 3000
Scott: 1600
Sarah: 5200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

5/5 in the music category yesterday and 3/5 today for 8/10 overall, so I’ll take it.

I’m glad I had the wrong place for the FJ! clue. Having no idea, but of course wanting to take a guess I wrote Heberdes. I looked at it and knew I needed an I somewhere. I made it Heberdies. Thorsten would take that in LL probably. For J! that is a no-go. Hebrides. He-Brides. I should be able to remember that if I need to write it in the future.

If I had thought of the correct response I would have made the switch. The other place I had under consideration was the Orkneys.

Ouch for Scott taking the collar on big clues. Another game when 2nd place could have won with a different wager in the FJ! round. Nice timing by Laura to win the tiebreaker as a game’s worth of experience probably did not hurt edging out Sarah by milliseconds with both of them going for it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

For the early birds checking in on this thread, here is the moment:
Spoiler
Spoilers for the FJ! round of course.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

And the lack of proper wagering strategy from second place saves another champ. Congrats to Laura!

FJ had me questioning the obvious choice with the bit about not being part of the UK. But Norman = French so WECIB?
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:24 pm And the lack of proper wagering strategy from second place saves another champ.
Really?

Strategy was certainly there. Execution may not have been — Sarah clearly overwatered by $1 — but to say the strategy is lacking is incredibly disingenuous.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:29 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:24 pm And the lack of proper wagering strategy from second place saves another champ.
Really?

Strategy was certainly there. Execution may not have been — Sarah clearly overwatered by $1 — but to say the strategy is lacking is incredibly disingenuous.
Yes, Sarah over-wagered and by more than $1. There was nothing to be gained from her wager because she bet so much that Scott could have won on a single get. So, if she was going to wager anything, she needed to cover him - which she didn't. And she compounded it with that extra $1 that put her in a position to tie with Laura. Maybe it was a math error or just a goof but a proper wager and she should win if she and Laura both get FJ wrong.

There's nothing wrong with pointing wagering errors - and I think it was an error. (Pointing that out isn't remotely disingenuous - check out a dictionary).
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:28 pm There's nothing wrong with pointing wagering errors - and I think it was an error. (Pointing that out isn't remotely disingenuous - check out a dictionary).
I agree, there's nothing wrong with pointing out errors.

However, you implied that Sarah lacked proper wagering strategy, and it's on that point that I disagree. I think that there was nothing wrong, per se, with the underlying strategy, but that the onstage execution was what did her in.

There's a difference; it's not like Sarah pulled a random number out of thin air (a case where you'd be correct to assert that strategy was lacking).
Andy Saunders
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $35,800
46 R/3 W
DD: 1/3
FJ: :(
LT: Nina (DD), Barbra, sabra, Erin Burnett, mucous membrane, current

IT FINALLY HAPPENED!

It seems to me that Sarah's optimal wager is anywhere in the $3401-3599 range. Anyone see it differently?

This seemed like a TOC FJ! Not much in the way of a TOM. I chose the Faroes over the Shetlands. The Channel Islands never occurred to me. If they had, I think I would have gone with them.

The Erin Moran clue was a good example of why TPTB suggest you take categories in order.
Sprinkles are for winners.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:27 pm This seemed like a TOC FJ! Not much in the way of a TOM. I chose the Faroes over the Shetlands. The Channel Islands never occurred to me. If they had, I think I would have gone with them.
The TOM was 'Norman Islands', relating to Normandy - the region of France closest to the channel islands. Still - likely a tougher FJ question, like you said.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:27 pm This seemed like a TOC FJ! Not much in the way of a TOM. I chose the Faroes over the Shetlands. The Channel Islands never occurred to me. If they had, I think I would have gone with them.
"Norman Isles" immediately suggested to me that they were near, or formerly the property of, Normandy. From there I figured they had to be in the south English Channel and so Channel Islands was my only guess.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:53 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:28 pm There's nothing wrong with pointing wagering errors - and I think it was an error. (Pointing that out isn't remotely disingenuous - check out a dictionary).
I agree, there's nothing wrong with pointing out errors.

However, you implied that Sarah lacked proper wagering strategy, and it's on that point that I disagree. I think that there was nothing wrong, per se, with the underlying strategy, but that the onstage execution was what did her in.

There's a difference; it's not like Sarah pulled a random number out of thin air (a case where you'd be correct to assert that strategy was lacking).
I'm trying to figure out how you distinguish someone pulling a number of out thin air and coming up with a number that had no strategic value. Did Sarah put more thought into her wager than coming up with a nice round number? Maybe, but a bad wager is a bad wager, no matter how you come to it.
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:40 pm I'm trying to figure out how you distinguish someone pulling a number of out thin air and coming up with a number that had no strategic value. Did Sarah put more thought into her wager than coming up with a nice round number? Maybe, but a bad wager is a bad wager, no matter how you come to it.
Simple.

$10,000 is a number out of thin air.

$4,801 is a wager that, while it had some strategic thought behind it, was lacking in execution.

In my opinion, comments like yours will lead to more contestants thinking "what's the point of studying at all if even the slightest mistake will make people think I've done no work?", and where's the fun in that?
Andy Saunders
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

I guessed Channel Islands because they're the islands between Britain and Normandy, but I wasn't confident of it, especially because the clue said they weren't part of the UK, and I thought that some of them were.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I guess one boardie will be changing his signature.

I agree it was a poor wager by Sarah. I see why she did it, but it left her in a tie along with the possibility of getting beat by a locked out third place.

Instaget FJ for me, along with the TB.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:44 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:40 pm I'm trying to figure out how you distinguish someone pulling a number of out thin air and coming up with a number that had no strategic value. Did Sarah put more thought into her wager than coming up with a nice round number? Maybe, but a bad wager is a bad wager, no matter how you come to it.
Simple.

$10,000 is a number out of thin air.

$4,801 is a wager that, while it had some strategic thought behind it, was lacking in execution.

In my opinion, comments like yours will lead to more contestants thinking "what's the point of studying at all if even the slightest mistake will make people think I've done no work?", and where's the fun in that?
As the horse being beaten has pretty much given up the ghost, I'm going to leave it right here: I never said there wasn't any thought behind the wager - just that there was a lack of proper wagering strategy, i.e., Sarah's wager was not a good one as amply demonstrated by the fact that she could (and should) have won today. It's not the end of the world and I have a hard time believing that any contestant is going to forego wagering strategy because they might mess it up and someone may comment on that.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

My husband is out walking the family dog right now, and he's gonna be bugged he missed this long-awaited FJ scenario! I do believe in fairies!

I got FJ, but I have a friend who's originally from there. Besides "Norman," that's probably what led me to the correct response.

In yesterday's discussion, folks were saying Laura reminded them of someone. I'm seeing Jennifer Lawrence with a soupcon of Rebecca DeMornay.

And, yes, as someone pointed out--the wording of the Erin Moran question did indeed throw people off when played "out of sequence." Still gettable, but an irksome trap.
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

squarekara wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:23 pm And, yes, as someone pointed out--the wording of the Erin Moran question did indeed throw people off when played "out of sequence." Still gettable, but an irksome trap.
I think it was a message from the writers to play the categories in sequence. :)
Andy Saunders
astrohip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by astrohip »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:02 pm I made it Heberdies. Thorsten would take that in LL probably. For J! that is a no-go. Hebrides. He-Brides. I should be able to remember that if I need to write it in the future.
Don't think that would fly in LL either. It has to be close enough to be the same. Heberdies and Hebrides aren't the same.