Monday, March 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Monday, March 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Saturnalia »

I got this one right mostly on account of remembering this FJ from my forays through the Archive:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3487
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Saturnalia wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:44 pm I got this one right mostly on account of remembering this FJ from my forays through the Archive:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3487
Owwwwwwch...
Spoiler
Sylvester Stallone was 30 when he got his Best Actor/Screenplay nods. Early 1977 announcement, he was born mid 1946.

What makes it more painful is I didn't learn my lesson from the LAST time! :lol:
20101022-02222122122112121122211122221121202:.12222.121111112121122121

(That means I missed it live, too.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

39 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, 206 Bones in the Human Body, Nat Turner, (Marrakesh), Kenya, Sox, Say Say Say

Ran Ditloids and African Cities.

Other of my gets include Zachary Taylor and Capoeira.
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Squasoni
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

Sometimes you can power your way through bad strategy. WTF wagering to fall into 3rd place with no clues left and the lead in our hands?

I know one old movie fact and that is the adoration of Orson Welles by the media. Monday starts with a make!

It was a pretty good game. I didn't like the digiloid (?) category but I could see it growing on me. I still don't like phony elements but if they have a half-life of 10 years, I can countenance them. This is close to Promethium, which is the hole in the table at element #61 and has a 17 year half-life. I'm surprised they didn't go for the name "Trebekon" so it could be a "noble" gas.

I also went with "connubial" marriage and I think it was the primary answer. Alex didn't seem that happy with conjugal, but also didn't give an alternate so who knows?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I know too many songs to be able to accurately pre-call a category like that. I pre called Say Say Say and fun fun fun but I also came up with let it snow let it snow let it snow you you you it's love love love and the Bobby Sherman hits La La La Means I Love You and Julie Julie Julie do you love me which I realized only too late they would never ever ask about.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Destiny's Child's first two singles were, respectively, No No No and Bills Bills Bills. I imagine turning this into a trend would have quickly grown tiresome.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:11 am Destiny's Child's first two singles were, respectively, No No No and Bills Bills Bills. I imagine turning this into a trend would have quickly grown tiresome.
Later after the game I tried to think of others and I recalled "Music! Music! Music!" by Teresa Brewer. Curious if it had a hit in the Archive I looked and found this category with one of Ironhorse's song mentions as well.

#7017, aired 2015-03-03 TRIPLE TALK SONGS $400: In a 1968 hit by the Ohio Express, this title preceded "I got love in my tummy, and I feel like a-lovin you"
#7017, aired 2015-03-03 TRIPLE TALK SONGS $800: "Clang clang clang went the trolley" & this is the sound made by the bell in "The Trolley Song"
#7017, aired 2015-03-03 TRIPLE TALK SONGS $1200: This winter title follows "The fire is slowly dying, and, my dear, we're still goodbye-ing, but as long as you love me so..."
#7017, aired 2015-03-03 TRIPLE TALK SONGS $1600: "Put another nickel in, in the nickelodeon, all I want is loving you and" this, this, this
#7017, aired 2015-03-03 TRIPLE TALK SONGS $2000: In this 1999 hit Destiny's Child complains, "You're slowly making me pay for things your money should be handling"
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

J6 had the next best well known triple word song title. Thought I could think of an easy one before I checked in to play it. Not happening. Then when I saw it it was painfully obvious.

I would have been disapointed if they hadn't finished the digloids category. Thanks to Jesse for going back to it.
davey

Post by davey »

No question "connubial" is just as good if not better than "conjugal." A few thousand more hits in Google, too...
I'm glad to realize Chaplin is not so terrible a guess though as a Welles fan I feel mortified...
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

DBear wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:58 pm If I can get an Oscars FJ!, you know it's easy.
Same. When I saw the category I wasn't very confident, but I got this one.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:00 am Sometimes you can power your way through bad strategy. WTF wagering to fall into 3rd place with no clues left and the lead in our hands?
It's amazing that will all the genuinely nonsensical, strictly worst, give away thousands of dollars for no reason, shoot-yourself-in-the-foot wagers on the show, this is the one people who usually ignore DD/FJ wagering choose to harp on.

The bet was not optimal assuming Matt had even the normal amount of confidence in the category. (That would have been betting $7,601 for the lock) However, it was actually better than the typical, randomly "safe" $1,000-$2,000 many contestants make in that position, as Matt at least himself got himself in a crush position.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:40 am
DBear wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:58 pm If I can get an Oscars FJ!, you know it's easy.
Same. When I saw the category I wasn't very confident, but I got this one.
And me. I have been on a slump in FJ lately. I read the list of Oscar winners earlier and saw a bunch of movies I had never even heard of. Had it not been for WWII, I would have been shut out completely on the winners.

So I went in with low expectations but was pleasantly surprised. I wasn’t exactly sure when Citizen Kane was made, but knew they were going for Welles.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

So *thats* why they’re called ditloids!

Agree on the Uber/Lyft coin flip. (Cost me a swipe)

Got FJ after second 25 (thinking of “whose that guy that did Citizen Kane?) but I got it.

Am I think first to comment that Jesse reminds me of a young Bill Nye?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I think I'm going to do a couple sets of ditloid presses at the gym today.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

My mind just went completely blank on FJ! I figured it was gonna be someone from way back, but as usual it just wasn't there
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:05 am I think I'm going to do a couple sets of ditloid presses at the gym today.
Well, they have been looking pretty flabby lately ...
bbird
Valued Contributor

Post by bbird »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:28 pm Thomas for $200 flew over my head since I thought the "he" referred to Thomas and had no idea what was being asked. Derp.
Same. I even paused the video and read it out loud several times, reading it as "Thomas had been missing but then appeared to the other disciples. Cool story, bro." Once I heard the correct response, I went back and listened again, and Alex just barely put an emphasis on "he," which I'd missed the first time around.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

38 right.

Science (0), Home (1), Odds & Ends (4), Ditloids (4), 2 Seasons (5), Thomas Less (3)
Headlines (4), African Cities (3), Triple Talk Song Titles (5), Transportation (3), Fiction (4), You Get a "C" (2)

Lach Trash: 206 bones in the human body, Nat Turner, Kenya

I was thinking of either Charlie Chaplin (The Great Dictator) or Orson Welles (Citizen Kane), and I chose the latter.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $41,800
52 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: baker's rack, One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, 206 bones in the human body, Nat Turner, Marrakesh (DD), Sox, "Say, Say, Say"

I counted "Oriental rug" for "Persian rug." My research indicates that the latter is a subset of the former, and I can't see anything in the clue/image that excludes my response. Judges?

I had to chuckle at the fact that the "Fun, Fun, Fun" clue was followed immediately by one about chariot races. (You look like an ace now, you look like an ace.)

I agree that having Lyft rather than Uber in the second row with no strong TOM was cruel.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:28 pm Why didn't just "rack" get a BMS to "bakers' rack"?
The clue asked for an "appropriately named wire shelving unit to cool off your pies." Another contestant had already supplied the word "rack," and that's not the "appropriately named" portion of the object's name.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

skullturf wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:46 pm I first wrote down "Olivier" for FJ (I thought that he might have been nominated for both acting and directing for "Hamlet") but then it struck me that the 1940s is also the decade of "Citizen Kane" and Orson Welles was a wunderkind who did everything.

Plus I don't think Olivier wrote "Hamlet".

(Although, to complicate things, it's not inconceivable that someone could win an Oscar for adapted screenplay for a Shakespeare play.)
Except that in that era, I don't know if they had an Oscar for an adapted screenplay. The Oscar for writing was originally for "Best Story" and I think (but am not sure) that meant it had to be an original story. So, for example, Gone With The Wind didn't have a nomination in the writing category.