Page 3 of 3

Re: Monday, March 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:57 pm
by Volante
Elijah Baley wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:50 pm
So, for example, Gone With The Wind didn't have a nomination in the writing category.
That'd be news to the estate of Sidney Howard...
http://www.oscars.org/oscars/ceremonies/1940
Writing (Screenplay)
Winner
Gone with the Wind
Sidney Howard

Nominees
Goodbye, Mr. Chips
R. C. Sherriff, Claudine West, Eric Maschwitz

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Sidney Buchman

Ninotchka
Charles Brackett, Billy Wilder, Walter Reisch

Wuthering Heights
Charles MacArthur, Ben Hecht

Re: Monday, March 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:12 pm
by Elijah Baley
Volante wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:57 pm
Elijah Baley wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:50 pm
So, for example, Gone With The Wind didn't have a nomination in the writing category.
That'd be news to the estate of Sidney Howard...
http://www.oscars.org/oscars/ceremonies/1940
Writing (Screenplay)
Winner
Gone with the Wind
Sidney Howard

Nominees
Goodbye, Mr. Chips
R. C. Sherriff, Claudine West, Eric Maschwitz

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Sidney Buchman

Ninotchka
Charles Brackett, Billy Wilder, Walter Reisch

Wuthering Heights
Charles MacArthur, Ben Hecht
Nope, you're right; I guess I was looking at the info for Best Story and incorrectly assumed that was the only writing award. :oops:

Re: Monday, March 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:27 pm
by tiwonge
Not 206 Books in the Holy Bible, I guess. So close...

Re: Monday, March 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:03 pm
by Bamaman
tiwonge wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:27 pm
Not 206 Books in the Holy Bible, I guess. So close...
There are 66.

Re: Monday, March 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:47 pm
by tiwonge
Bamaman wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:03 pm
tiwonge wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:27 pm
Not 206 Books in the Holy Bible, I guess. So close...
There are 66.
It depends on who you ask. But yeah, considerably fewer than 206.

Re: Monday, March 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:10 pm
by davey
Volante wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:57 pm
Elijah Baley wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:50 pm
So, for example, Gone With The Wind didn't have a nomination in the writing category.
That'd be news to the estate of Sidney Howard...
http://www.oscars.org/oscars/ceremonies/1940
Writing (Screenplay)
Winner
Gone with the Wind
Sidney Howard

Nominees
Goodbye, Mr. Chips
R. C. Sherriff, Claudine West, Eric Maschwitz

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Sidney Buchman

Ninotchka
Charles Brackett, Billy Wilder, Walter Reisch

Wuthering Heights
Charles MacArthur, Ben Hecht
Interesting that 2 pictures were nominated in both WRITING (Original Story) and WRITING (Screenplay), with different writers credited for each element: Mr.Smith Goes to Washington and Ninotchka.

Re: Monday, March 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:00 pm
by Volante
davey wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:10 pm
Interesting that 2 pictures were nominated in both WRITING (Original Story) and WRITING (Screenplay), with different writers credited for each element: Mr.Smith Goes to Washington and Ninotchka.
Original Story is, to the best of what I can figure, what it says on the tin. It even includes book/short story authors if their work was later adapted. (This is the explanation behind Mr. Smith's writers.)

Basically, if Jurassic Park went up for 'Best Story', Michael Crichton would've been the nominee.

Re: Monday, March 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:49 pm
by Ironhorse
MarkBarrett wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:27 am
#7017, aired 2015-03-03 TRIPLE TALK SONGS $1600: "Put another nickel in, in the nickelodeon, all I want is loving you and" this, this, this

[/quote]

I was actually listening to that one recently.