Tuesday, March 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, March 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by CasketRomance »

hee haw and utopia...pretty pavlovian for animal farm within the category of classic british novels
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:56 pm
teapot37 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:52 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:30 pm What did "Wings" have to do with Rhyme Time for $400? That whole category was over my head.
OSCAR'S BEST PICTURE RHYME TIME
Gold wedding bands with the name of the very first winner

The first Best Picture Oscar winner was the 1927 silent film "Wings". (I just watched it yesterday - it was actually pretty decent, and the aerial photography was state-of-the-art for the time.)
That seems like a very obscure pick for the top box.
i got it right, but definitely not a box 1 clue
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

A pretty miserable day for me.

R: 20, W: 3, costing 1800
Coryat: 13,400
FJ: :(
DD: 2/3
LT: groom/bloom, coulomb

Timings:
3:30 + 3:12 = 6:42
6:50
1:27

Got stumped in poets, went backwards in TV and International holidays. My only saving grace was running Electricity. In Universities, I waited around for Northwestern to show up - figured it had to be there somewhere. Guessed Western MI, but didn't have the courage to answer Eastern MI on the next clue.

In FJ, I got the social commentary hint, but the "classic" took me back too far, to the 1800s. And that led to Dickens - and a WAG at Tale of Two Cities. In hindsight, the TOMs are obvious. It would probably be good for me to put Orwell in the "British" pile of authors I know very little about instead of the "American" pile of authors I know very little about. At least I learned something today.
--Peter
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

My British spouse and I were cockily confident that we'd instaget FJ... :oops:

He went for Gulliver, despite my telling him immediately that Swift was Irish, but I had no guess. Like others, we simply didn't associate "Classic" novels with something written in the 20th century. Orwell, Woolf, Fitzgerald, Joyce etc would more usually be classified as modern novels. Ah well.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

:cry: FJ. Picked Lord of the Flies as being the closest match to the Utopian TOM (by being dystopian). Did not connect the animals to the great TOM's of Aesop (duh - tales are based on animals), and thought Hee-Haw was a trap since a "classic" could not invoke the eponymous Country variety show.

Matt will not need to second guess this Pier 6 thumping. Congrats on being a two day champ and the free travel to start the week! Jack Rice may hang around a few games. I hope he remembers to answer in the form of a question :lol:

I was surprised to recognize poems I forcibly memorized in high school from parts I didn't remember. Matt's stab at the bottom clue with Shakespeare was desperate, but he needed to swing the momentum. I recited lines from "If", and "How do I love thee" (if that's the name) to the missus trying to score some points. But now I can't pretend I made them up, at least for a month or so.

I think the game has changed for good with the gesturing and mugging for the camera. The contestants are having fun responding in character to the theme of the questions, etc.. I'm fine with it. It took Austin to shatter the decorum barrier for good. The show needs to roll with it as a sign of the times.

Anecdote - We have 3 young Japanese exchange students visiting our plant this week and ostensibly working in different areas. I went around to take some action photos of them working. All three of them went into selfie mode mugging for the camera with hand gestures and duck faces. Nobody is camera shy anymore, and good riddance to stuffed shirt mannerisms. :lol: I apologize for the slight meander.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:49 pmLike others, we simply didn't associate "Classic" novels with something written in the 20th century. Orwell, Woolf, Fitzgerald, Joyce etc would more usually be classified as modern novels. Ah well.
If you look at it from the perspective of a typical college student today, we're talking about authors from 50 years before they were born. My modern authors are slipping into their classics. :shock: :o
--Peter
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:55 pm :cry: FJ. Picked Lord of the Flies as being the closest match to the Utopian TOM (by being dystopian). Did not connect the animals to the great TOM's of Aesop (duh - tales are based on animals),
I had Lord of the Flies, also. I managed to find multiple ways to go wrong in this one: first, misled by the word "classic," I jotted down "A Pilgrim's Progress"; then, convinced that was wrong, I changed to Golding's book... never once thought of the correct answer...

On the plus side, I had my best Coryat in a little while -- 29,600 or something like that.
davey

Post by davey »

If you can call a 1969 Mustang a classic car I think you can call a mid-20th C. book that everybody's heard of a classic novel. If not Animal Farm I might have guessed Watership Down - a classic British novel from 1972...
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:07 pm I'm kind of surprised that so many missed the FJ. I thought it looked like a historically easy one. But I'm a really bad judge at this sort of thing. :)
Same. I thought this one would poll high, but posts so far point otherwise.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

davey wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:16 pm If you can call a 1969 Mustang a classic car I think you can call a mid-20th C. book that everybody's heard of a classic novel. If not Animal Farm I might have guessed Watership Down - a classic British novel from 1972...
Not a great analogy since novels have been around considerably longer than cars.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:24 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:30 pm What did "Wings" have to do with Rhyme Time for $400? That whole category was over my head.

The first Best Picture Oscar winner was the 1927 silent film "Wings". (I just watched it yesterday - it was actually pretty decent, and the aerial photography was state-of-the-art for the time.)
Wings = first Best Picture is a trivia chestnut that belongs nowhere else. Never mind that "gold wedding bands" could only be one thing (or things, plural, I guess).
davey

Post by davey »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:23 pm
davey wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:16 pm If you can call a 1969 Mustang a classic car I think you can call a mid-20th C. book that everybody's heard of a classic novel. If not Animal Farm I might have guessed Watership Down - a classic British novel from 1972...
Not a great analogy since novels have been around considerably longer than cars.
That explains why there are so many classic ones - not why I should have to wait more than 70 years to identify one...
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

40 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: Clement Clark Moore, Elizabeth Barrett Browning, (1788), Dark Horse, Jasper Johns, Coulomb

Ran Slovenia & Slovakia and Year Ending in 8.

0/5 in TV.

Other of my gets include Alexander Pope, Liberia, Diwali, and Marcel Duchamp.
Douglas Squasoni
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:49 pm My British spouse and I were cockily confident that we'd instaget FJ... :oops:

He went for Gulliver, despite my telling him immediately that Swift was Irish, but I had no guess. Like others, we simply didn't associate "Classic" novels with something written in the 20th century. Orwell, Woolf, Fitzgerald, Joyce etc would more usually be classified as modern novels. Ah well.
as time moves on things become classic...you hear metallica mentioned as classic rock...i cringe every time i hear that
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

I considered both Animal Farm and Charlotte's Web (even though EB White is American) for FJ, and picked the former. Kinda surprised it's not polling higher (though the TOMs were kinda awkward). I don't see any problem calling books from before I was born "classics", especially if they're widely read. When I think of a "modern classic" novel, I tend to think of those from the last 10-15 years, so before that is plain ol' "classic".

I like Jack's deliberate delivery/style playing the game. Looking forward to seeing if he's a little less nervous on his second time through.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:05 pm

I keyed in on "hee-haw," which reminded me of Swift's Yahoos, and I was off to the races. Never mind that Swift was Irish.
I was curious how the show handled Swift's nationality. Of course*, Swift was born, died, and lived most of his life in Ireland, but his parents were from England and English seems to have formed his basic ethnic background. George Bernard Shaw said “I am a typical Irishman—my family came from Yorkshire", while, looking at it from the other side, Johnny Rotten (nee Lydon) wrote "I was raised in England, and I am English in this way. Romantically, I like to believe that I'm Irish. While I have some vague notion of pastoral eloquence, I know this isn't real. It's like a romance novel. I am British."

Anyway, the show generally has handled it by not handling it--in one FJ in the archive, he was an "18th Century Author"; in another (even more cleverly, IMO) he was an "English Language Writer".

As for "classic", if Darth Vader is a classic movie character (and was already in 2006), I couldn't see why Animal Farm shouldn't be a classic British novel.

* "of course", meaning I'm sure many of you know this already, but maybe not all of you do. Of course (seriously now) if I were certain all of you knew, there'd be no reason to mention it but hopefully, no one who did know feels his intelligence has been insulted, while anybody who didn't know can pretend that he did.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

I have no problem with J! calling Animal Farm a classic (which it definitely is) but I do have a problem with them referring to it as a novel. At a little over 100 pages, it's a novella for crying out loud! :evil:

That aside, it was an instaget from the Aesop mention.

Happy to see a whole category based around veganism. Unhappy to see three clues left uncovered.
I would prefer not to.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:24 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:24 pm

Wings = first Best Picture is a trivia chestnut that belongs nowhere else. Never mind that "gold wedding bands" could only be one thing (or things, plural, I guess).
Second. I’m terrible at Oscar trivia, but I know Wings was the first winner. (I don’t even know what it was about but that’s ok you’ll only need to know who the first was). Ask me the best picture winner for any year from 1928-2016 and 2018 (thank you Warren Beatty) (if Oscars are for the year before, subtract one from the last two numbers), I’ll draw a blank, but I know that one because it’s the first. TPH can you name anyone who walked on the moon? Oh, you just know Armstrong and Aldrin? I’m sure their being first is a coincidence.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:21 pm
Bamaman wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:38 pm I got it right, but didn’t really think it was old enough to be “classic”.
Same here - except for the getting it right part.
If it's written before I was born and is required reading in many schools, I suppose that makes it a classic.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Mentions of Hee-Haw and Utopia led me to dystopia, which got me Huxley and Orwell. Aesop got me to Tortoise and the Hare, so Animal Farm it was.
Peter the accountant wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:55 pm
CailinGaoilge wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:49 pmLike others, we simply didn't associate "Classic" novels with something written in the 20th century. Orwell, Woolf, Fitzgerald, Joyce etc would more usually be classified as modern novels. Ah well.
If you look at it from the perspective of a typical college student today, we're talking about authors from 50 years before they were born. My modern authors are slipping into their classics. :shock: :o
I guess I'll enjoy being a "typical college student today" as long as I can -- if this is how you feel now, I fear for the day when stuff like The Hunger Games and Harry Potter are considered classics. :lol:
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host