Friday, December 30, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Re: Friday, December 30, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Paucle »

Tehshigelisok wrote:I didn't go with Billy Joel because I knew that "The Longest Time" (the only Joel song I know) was a #1.
Well then you're one-up on Billboard, they only have it at 14.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

billy pilgrim wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Onairb wrote: That's up there with saying Mick Jagger replaced Robert Plant in the Beatles. :shock:
Ok, smart guy. Who did replace Robert Plant in the Beatles? It had to be someone, because they wouldn't have tried to tour without a saxophonist.
I think Jethro Tull replaced him. Dude can BLOW!
No, no, it was Pink Floyd.
ej!fan
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by ej!fan »

Tell Her About It was Billy Joel's other #1 song.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

thejeopardyfan wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:I need a couple of rulings. The clue in THE MOST EXPENSIVE EVER to which one of the contestants responded "What is a fountain pen?" I just said "What is a pen?" Was "fountain" required or can I credit myself with a get? I have no idea if I'd have frozen or come through if told to BMS.

Then there was the clue in "RE"SEARCH that gave credit to "What is reverberation?" I assume "What is reverb?" is acceptable. I definitely could have BMS'ed. But when you're messing with that knob, it's always "reverb". It didn't occur to me to expand the word.
I said both "pen" and "reverb," and counted them right.
At the very least "pen" would require a BMS. The clue mentioned a nib, I think, and those are usually only on quills, fountain pens, and dip pens.
Tehshigelisok
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by Tehshigelisok »

Paucle wrote:
Tehshigelisok wrote:I didn't go with Billy Joel because I knew that "The Longest Time" (the only Joel song I know) was a #1.
Well then you're one-up on Billboard, they only have it at 14.
Whoops, my bad. It got to #1 on AC, and that was what I was thinking of.

It's Still Rock & Roll to Me was a #1 on the Hot 100, as were We Didn't Start the Fire and the aforementioned Tell Her About It
Really, I'm TenPoundHammer. Same as always.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

RCraig wrote:Btw, I drew Prince's symbol as one my names during TOC rehearsals. He's very much a music icon and has recorded in just about all genres, including rock.
His solo on a performance of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" is enough to convince me to allow him the title of Rock Icon.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote:
thejeopardyfan wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:I need a couple of rulings. The clue in THE MOST EXPENSIVE EVER to which one of the contestants responded "What is a fountain pen?" I just said "What is a pen?" Was "fountain" required or can I credit myself with a get? I have no idea if I'd have frozen or come through if told to BMS.

Then there was the clue in "RE"SEARCH that gave credit to "What is reverberation?" I assume "What is reverb?" is acceptable. I definitely could have BMS'ed. But when you're messing with that knob, it's always "reverb". It didn't occur to me to expand the word.
I said both "pen" and "reverb," and counted them right.
At the very least "pen" would require a BMS. The clue mentioned a nib, I think, and those are usually only on quills, fountain pens, and dip pens.
Yeah, but unless there's a more expensive ballpoint or felt tip pen out there, the answer "pen" is sufficiently specific. The most expensive pen is, as one would expect, a fountain pen. But there was nothing in the clue that made "pen" incorrect.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

bpmod wrote:
alietr wrote:Easy FJ?!?!? You're kidding, right? There was absolutely no TOM in that one.
OK. Easy if you were anywhere near a radio or any other source of 'music' in 1984.
I think, in 1984, I was perfecting my ability to use the toilet. :D
jeff6286 wrote:
Tehshigelisok wrote:
I will never understand how anyone can keep any famous royalty straight. They're all single name + Roman numeral for the most part, aren't they? How would I ever be able to tell apart, say, Louis XIV and XVI?
Well, one was Louis XV's son, while the other was his father. Also, one was the Sun King, and the other was married to Marie Antoinette. That's just about everything that I can tell you about them, but I'm sure Wikipedia might have some more information if you are interested.

Interestingly, Alex only gave the correct response to the first clue in that category as Edward, not Edward VII, so I assume the players only needed to give the child's name, not his future title, so the number following Edward wouldn't have been necessary. However, I assume that if someone had mistakenly said Edward VI or Edward VIII, they probably would have been negged.
Here's a tricky one for the judges: Albert. His pre-regnal name was "Albert Edward" and they were only listing first names in the clue... (or would I have to have said 'Albert Edward'?)

As to the rest of the DJ board... Yuck. I didn't do *horrible*...but... yeah, I think it's been summed up by now.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
BoK
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BoK »

Volante wrote: Here's a tricky one for the judges: Albert. His pre-regnal name was "Albert Edward" and they were only listing first names in the clue... (or would I have to have said 'Albert Edward'?)
I'm don't know if they would have accepted Albert or not. It should at least get a BMS, but who knows?

A similar situation occured in the FJ of this game: http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=490

The FJ clue was: Before Prince Andrew, he was the last Duke of York.
Spoiler
Kevin said Prince Albert, and the "correct" response was George VI. But he only took the name George when he became King. While he was Duke of York,
his name was Prince Albert.
billiej

Post by billiej »

Vanya wrote:
billy pilgrim wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote: That's up there with saying Mick Jagger replaced Robert Plant in the Beatles. :shock:

Ok, smart guy. Who did replace Robert Plant in the Beatles? It had to be someone, because they wouldn't have tried to tour without a saxophonist.
I think Jethro Tull replaced him. Dude can BLOW!
Which one's Pink?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

billiej wrote:
Vanya wrote:
billy pilgrim wrote: I think Jethro Tull replaced him. Dude can BLOW!
Which one's Pink?
Gene Simmons?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If they had been going for Prince, would they take Nelson?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:If they had been going for Prince, would they take Nelson?
I would think so, assuming the clue doesn't require the word "Prince". I guess they'd probably take The Artist, TAFKAP, and maybe even (the symbol).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex would have to check that the player did not mean Gunnar and Matthew?
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Alex would have to check that the player did not mean Gunnar and Matthew?
Or Ricky.

Check who wrote the review of Tom's book on traffic:
Amazon Best of the Month, July 2008: How could no one have written this book before? These days we spend almost as much time driving as we do eating (in fact, we do a lot of our eating while driving), but I can't remember the last time I saw a book on all the time we spend stuck in our cars. It's a topic of nearly universal interest, though: everybody has a strategy for beating the traffic. Tom Vanderbilt's Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do (and What It Says About Us) has plenty of advice for those shortcut schemers (Vanderbilt may well convince you to become, as he has, a dreaded "Late Merger"), but more than that it's the sort of wide-ranging contrarian compendium that makes a familiar subject new. I'm not the first or last to call Traffic the Freakonomics of cars, but it's true that it fits right in with the school of smart and popular recent books by Leavitt, Gladwell, Surowiecki, Ariely, and others that use the latest in economic, sociological, psychological, and in this case civil engineering research to make us rethink a topic we live with every day. Want to know how much city traffic is just people looking for parking? (It's a lot.) Or why street signs don't work (but congestion pricing does), why new cars crash more than old cars, and why Saturdays now have the worst traffic of the week? Read Traffic, or better yet, listen to the audio book on your endless commute. --Tom Nissley
On the Love Story quote I got worked by the song lyrics, which (iirc) were "you never have to say you're sorry." As your rock music consultant, I advise you not to seek out that bit of '70s drivel. Also said both pen and reverb and took credit for both. To my lasting shame, I blanked on Gutenberg and couldn't pull it in the time allotted. I'm blaming last night's festivities.

I thought the British Novels cat was savage for non-TOC play -- never read any of those works so didn't get a single one. Managed only 400 in NP of the World. No one else thought of Baffin Island for the DD? It's enormous, but maybe not 375K sq miles worth.

Bit better in On Deck (4 and 12), though should have pulled fo'c'sle from the depths. On the DD, was anyone else hearkening back to The Love Boat for announcements from Julie McCoy? Also had a rough time in Silent Letters, clamming on both rhapsody and the word that precedes f*** in small dictionaries. Happy to run "A"natomy, Most Expensive and German Museums en route to a 25R 1W J! round. DJ was an absymal 15R and a lower score than in the first half. Only run was At Bat, and I had to hoot at Tom's Cobb answer. Do NOT guess, esp. for 2K.

On FJ I think MJ flashed through my head first, but I thought he had multiple #1s. Then an image of Bruce in a white T-shirt and jeans from the back of that album popped up, and I knew he was the one. Surprised it was a TS: the list of Rock Icons ought not be that long.

Big props to dmleach on his second win and best retro luck for the first week of 2012.

And fwiw, I wouldn't rank Jason above silver in the next TOC either, not unless he finds a way to practice.
In and out of the pool four times
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

reddpen wrote:And fwiw, I wouldn't rank Jason above silver in the next TOC either, not unless he finds a way to practice.
:shock: If nine wins doesn't prove he's got the chops, what would?
iowabelle
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by iowabelle »

jeff6286 wrote:
Tehshigelisok wrote:
I will never understand how anyone can keep any famous royalty straight. They're all single name + Roman numeral for the most part, aren't they? How would I ever be able to tell apart, say, Louis XIV and XVI?
Well, one was Louis XV's son, while the other was his father. Also, one was the Sun King, and the other was married to Marie Antoinette. That's just about everything that I can tell you about them, but I'm sure Wikipedia might have some more information if you are interested.

Interestingly, Alex only gave the correct response to the first clue in that category as Edward, not Edward VII, so I assume the players only needed to give the child's name, not his future title, so the number following Edward wouldn't have been necessary. However, I assume that if someone had mistakenly said Edward VI or Edward VIII, they probably would have been negged.
:cry:

Really, the only correct responses to that could have been Albert Edward or Edward VII. I would guess if you said "Prince of Wales" (technically also correct) they would have made you come up with a more specific name.

As for Louis XIV, he was the great-grandfather of Louis XV (he outlived several heirs). Louis XV was the grandfather of Louis XVI.

Tehshigelisok, study that royalty pavlov. You'll probably learn all you need to know from that. (After all, you don't need to know all the answers, just more answers than the next guy.) And if they make your eyes blur, put them on index cards and just memorize a few facts about them.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

SavoyGirl wrote:
bpmod wrote:
Zee2 wrote:There are quite a few knowledgeable people in many areas that appear on Jeopardy! who never listened to rock, in the 80's, earlier, or now.
That is just tragic.

And, I, for one, cannot imagine how anybody alive anytime since the late 50's would never have listened to rock; maybe not actively, but, holy man!

Brian
Over the last five decades it would probably be impossible NOT to ever hear rock. But one can live quite happily without ever listening to it. I've spent that time immersed in the music of Broadway musicals, opera, and Gilbert & Sullivan.
Agreed. It's impossible to ignore rock, as it's everywhere, including the "background" for everything on TV and in the movies. I also don't listen to it (and I know that may bite me when I get on the show, but it's a chance I'm willing to live with). I remain happily immersed in the classical universe, a much more suitable place for my termperament.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

John Boy wrote:I also don't listen to it (and I know that may bite me when I get on the show, but it's a chance I'm willing to live with).
The tests (both online and audition) are made up of questions that you should expect to see on the show, so if you don't pass the tests from lack of rock exposure, you won't get on the show to have the opportunity to be bitten by your lack of rock knowledge.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

dhkendall wrote:
John Boy wrote:I also don't listen to it (and I know that may bite me when I get on the show, but it's a chance I'm willing to live with).
The tests (both online and audition) are made up of questions that you should expect to see on the show, so if you don't pass the tests from lack of rock exposure, you won't get on the show to have the opportunity to be bitten by your lack of rock knowledge.
Despite some holes in my knowledge base, I've passed the contestant quiz enough times to feel competent I can at least be competitive. If you've ever taken an official J! quiz (and I'm pretty sure you have, several times, right?) you know that in general the quizzes tend to be 50 questions from 50 categories. They don't ask 2 or 3 questions from even the most common categories. I'd feel more apprehensive about the quiz, or about being a contestant, if (for instance) I didn't know anything about American history or world geography.