Online Test Recap & Discussion (Teen), March 15, 2018

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Online Test Recap & Discussion (Teen), March 15, 2018

Post by Archivists »

Video, thanks to sherder:

Last edited by Archivists on Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Online Test Recap & Discussion (Teen), March 15, 2018

Post by Archivists »

Answers, by OntarioQuizzer:
Spoiler
1 Oliver Twist
2 scruff
3 Poland
4 Andrew Jackson
5 Allah
6 Potomac
7 monkeys
8 Under Armour
9 John Green
10 June
11 Jumanji
12 Clarence Thomas
13 palindrome
14 The Great Gatsby
15 Scandinavia
16 Krebs
17 Andrew Lloyd Webber
18 Owl
19 The Walking Dead
20 Emily Dickinson
21 Kenya
22 Israel
23 Malala (Yousafzai)
24 Aphrodite
25 Spiro Agnew
26 protagonist
27 Ready Player One
28 DNA
29 California
30 Everest
31 Vincent Van Gogh
32 Stranger Things
33 Forever 21
34 Aztecs
35 Manzanar
36 Wendy's
37 homophones
38 Yellowstone
39 osmosis
40 Ruth
41 Snowboarding
42 Berlin Wall
43 Apple Computers
44 Chile
45 Othello
46 The Nutcracker
47 Humerus
48 Honest
49 Bartlett
50 Drake
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

49/50 with the perfecto lost early. Total blank on
Spoiler
scruff

The younger people stuff hit me right with book/shows/movie/music I'm familiar with and IMHO gave the H word that might have given me trouble while asking for the easier of the two. IMHO.
Teens who can get 35 or better than that on the test have my respect and good luck to the CCs rounding up a good group of contestants.
tksaleija
Contributor

Post by tksaleija »

41-42 (depends how strict they are with just "Apple"). There were a few a completely blanked on (like the Webber and Bartlett ones) and a few I typed too late or gave a dumb answer (Em for Dickinson because I'm slow and Jerusalem for Israel because I guessed and also forgot basic geography).
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Missed:
Spoiler
scruff, John Green, Clarence Thomas, Manzanar. I'm counting homonym for homophone after looking it up.
tksaleija
Contributor

Post by tksaleija »

I truly have no idea what's considered good, bad, or great in terms of number correct, so any thoughts? I'm used to quiz bowl, which is a wholly different format.

Also, does anybody have any idea what the criteria are to "pass," and how long it takes for J! to let you know (on average)? Sorry about the seemingly remedial nature of these questions.
jiwoo
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by jiwoo »

got 41/50 correct :| :| :|

(missed:)
Spoiler
scruff, clarence thomas, palindrome, stranger things, homophones, manzanar, osmosis, othello, bartlett
i'm deeply concerned about my score and truly thought i would do better based on the questions in the teen mock test and j6 practice :| i'm echoing the queries of the poster above; does anybody know what percentile of scorers are usually selected for audition? being on jeopardy is one of my deepest held dreams as the show brought me a lot of joy while i was ill in the hospital. i really believe being on it would change the trajectory of my life, especially since this is the last year i'm eligible for the teen tournament, not that anyone here really cares, :| sending best wishes to all my fellow test-takers in a similar position
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

tksaleija wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:26 pm I truly have no idea what's considered good, bad, or great in terms of number correct, so any thoughts? I'm used to quiz bowl, which is a wholly different format.

Also, does anybody have any idea what the criteria are to "pass," and how long it takes for J! to let you know (on average)? Sorry about the seemingly remedial nature of these questions.
Jeopardy never tells what a passing score is, however past experience tells us that 35 correct is enough for an audition. How long they take until inviting the lucky few (chosen from among those who pass) depends on the audition location and date. Sometimes as little as a few weeks, sometimes a few months.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

jiwoo wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:09 pm got 41/50 correct :| :| :|

Spoiler
scruff, clarence thomas, palindrome, stranger things, homophones, manzanar, osmosis, othello, bartlett
i'm deeply concerned about my score and truly thought i would do better based on the questions in the teen mock test and j6 practice :| i'm echoing the queries of the poster above; does anybody know what percentile of scorers are usually selected for audition? being on jeopardy is one of my deepest held dreams as the show brought me a lot of joy while i was ill in the hospital. i really believe being on it would change the trajectory of my life, especially since this is the last year i'm eligible for the teen tournament, not that anyone here really cares, :| sending best wishes to all my fellow test-takers in a similar position
That's a great score :D , so be proud of that whether or not you win the audition lottery. Don't stress! 8-)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

47/50

Missed Under Armour, Ready Player One, and Manzanar.
Douglas Squasoni
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

boson wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:12 pm Jeopardy never tells what a passing score is, however past experience tells us that 35 correct is enough for an audition. How long they take until inviting the lucky few (chosen from among those who pass) depends on the audition location and date. Sometimes as little as a few weeks, sometimes a few months.
More or less, but at certain times in the past, they have been upfront with the information that 35/50 was passing, and 7/10, back when the ten-question test was the qualifier for the 50Q.

I scored 41 here; probably about as expected, had I been expecting something.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I was very proud of my 13-year old son, who took the test last night and managed 24/50. Playing over his shoulder, I got 46, discounting a couple (Stranger Things, The Walking Dead, Farewell to Manzanar) that I was spoiled on by seeing his correct response.
arjavrawal
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by arjavrawal »

I got 35/50. Here's what I missed.
Spoiler
2 scruff (left blank)
14 The Great Gatsby (wrote Puddin'Head Wilson which is nowhere near correct and to be honest I'm not sure how I decided that'd be a good guess. I haven't read Gatsby since 5th grade and don't remember anything from it, so I'm not surprised I got this wrong)
16 Krebs (left blank)
19 The Walking Dead (I don't watch TV unless it's election night or something big is happening in the news cause I'm just that much of a nerd)
20 Emily Dickinson (I started to type Dickinson and then went with Virginia Woolf, silly me!)
35 Manzanar (The only "farewell to..." book I'm familiar with and can remember easily is A Farewell to Arms. It's a terrible guess but had a 0.1% chance of being correct, so put it down.)
37 homophones (I wrote homonyms, I'm an idiot)
38 Yellowstone
39 osmosis (left blank, I've never been much of a science person anyway and I didn't pay attention in biology class. more of the history/current events type)
40 Ruth (I have very limited knowledge of the Bible. I have a copy at home though, gotta go find it and do some studying. It seems to be coming up more often in quizbowl too these days.)
41 Snowboarding (I didn't follow the Winter Olympics this year cause school got in the way. also NBC coverage sucks and I was too lazy to find any alternative online. I put skiing.)
44 Chile (I left this blank cause I wasn't 100% sure with Chile. Wasn't confident enough to put anything down.)
45 Othello (time ran out while I was thumbing through my shakespeare)
47 Humerus (time ran out again)
49 Bartlett (never heard of Bartlett's Famous Quotations before. going to look this up soon.)
Hopefully that's good enough to warrant a call from TPTB to go out and audition. If not, ah well...there's always next time.
tksaleija
Contributor

Post by tksaleija »

arjavrawal wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:28 pm I got 35/50. Here's what I missed.
Spoiler
2 scruff (left blank)
14 The Great Gatsby (wrote Puddin'Head Wilson which is nowhere near correct and to be honest I'm not sure how I decided that'd be a good guess. I haven't read Gatsby since 5th grade and don't remember anything from it, so I'm not surprised I got this wrong)
16 Krebs (left blank)
19 The Walking Dead (I don't watch TV unless it's election night or something big is happening in the news cause I'm just that much of a nerd)
20 Emily Dickinson (I started to type Dickinson and then went with Virginia Woolf, silly me!)
35 Manzanar (The only "farewell to..." book I'm familiar with and can remember easily is A Farewell to Arms. It's a terrible guess but had a 0.1% chance of being correct, so put it down.)
37 homophones (I wrote homonyms, I'm an idiot)
38 Yellowstone
39 osmosis (left blank, I've never been much of a science person anyway and I didn't pay attention in biology class. more of the history/current events type)
40 Ruth (I have very limited knowledge of the Bible. I have a copy at home though, gotta go find it and do some studying. It seems to be coming up more often in quizbowl too these days.)
41 Snowboarding (I didn't follow the Winter Olympics this year cause school got in the way. also NBC coverage sucks and I was too lazy to find any alternative online. I put skiing.)
44 Chile (I left this blank cause I wasn't 100% sure with Chile. Wasn't confident enough to put anything down.)
45 Othello (time ran out while I was thumbing through my shakespeare)
47 Humerus (time ran out again)
49 Bartlett (never heard of Bartlett's Famous Quotations before. going to look this up soon.)
Hopefully that's good enough to warrant a call from TPTB to go out and audition. If not, ah well...there's always next time.
Homonyms are a type of homophone, so you might've gotten credit for that one.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Counting homonym and Apple, I got 45. I missed John Green, Ready Player One, California (got it belatedly after writing Alaska), Manzanar, and Drake. I'm 56 years old--I'm certain that it was called a homonym and not a homophone when I learned about it in school. I thought about switching but figured they'd accept either.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

44/50, easiest test I've taken in a while
:lol:
Total game show career losings = $171,522
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

just took this for fun tonight. 38/50 if we are taking homonym.

For gettable questions in my demographic, I went 38/44. The only guesses that hit was Ruth over Ester, and Chile over Argentina. I can count Thomas as a guess as well, because I thought I was wrong but couldn't pull another name. So, guesses were 3/8, not bad. TPH, u listening?? I totally lucked into Krebs cycle because I was in a classroom at the college and I looked at a biology study cheat sheet left behind. Only got Van gogh because of the recent FJ about his brother.

Adult questions missed:
Spoiler
1. Oliver Twist (picked Dickens, but ToTC, knew it was wrong)
17. Andrew Lloyd Webber - tried to pull from the repeated pairing
20. Dickinson, went with EB Browning as only chick poet I could think of
24. Aphrodite, picked Eros
34. Aztecs, picked Inca, always a 50/50/50 on Mayans and Aztecs for me
35. Othello , wagged Hamlet
Teenager oriented questions missed:
Spoiler
9. John Green, NHO
11. Jumangi , no WAG but know as a movie??
19. The walking dead - zombies are a millennial thing, no WAG even.
27. Ready player one, NHO
32. Stranger things, NHO
33. Forever 21, NHO
50. Drake , wagged Snoop
35. Manzanar, NHO
Only 3 of these things possibly could have been guessed at.

If this quiz ended after two questions, I tied Mark Barrett. Rare air, indeed, sir :lol:

thanks to Sherder and OQ for all of these. I'll look forward to this next year.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:01 pm just took this for fun tonight. 38/50 if we are taking homonym.

For gettable questions in my demographic, I went 38/44. The only guesses that hit was Ruth over Ester, and Chile over Argentina. I can count Thomas as a guess as well, because I thought I was wrong but couldn't pull another name. So, guesses were 3/8, not bad. TPH, u listening?? I totally lucked into Krebs cycle because I was in a classroom at the college and I looked at a biology study cheat sheet left behind. Only got Van gogh because of the recent FJ about his brother.

Adult questions missed:
Spoiler
1. Oliver Twist (picked Dickens, but ToTC, knew it was wrong)
17. Andrew Lloyd Webber - tried to pull from the repeated pairing
20. Dickinson, went with EB Browning as only chick poet I could think of
24. Aphrodite, picked Eros
34. Aztecs, picked Inca, always a 50/50/50 on Mayans and Aztecs for me
35. Othello , wagged Hamlet
Teenager oriented questions missed:
Spoiler
9. John Green, NHO
11. Jumangi , no WAG but know as a movie??
19. The walking dead - zombies are a millennial thing, no WAG even.
27. Ready player one, NHO
32. Stranger things, NHO
33. Forever 21, NHO
50. Drake , wagged Snoop
35. Manzanar, NHO
Only 3 of these things possibly could have been guessed at.

If this quiz ended after two questions, I tied Mark Barrett. Rare air, indeed, sir :lol:

thanks to Sherder and OQ for all of these. I'll look forward to this next year.
to continue your trivia journey through life, it seems you need to keep up with pop culture. Two of your nine "kids" questions was all I missed, and I am 45 (and don't have kids). To keep up with some things, I check the NYT best seller list, the Billboard Hot 100 & 200 list, the top 10 movies, and the top rated TV shows each week. I also use IMDB and watch the trailers of any movie in the top 10 I haven't already seen the trailer for. Finally, I load the page on TMZ every day.

I don't care for this day and age of 500 channels and nothing on, and the only requirement to be labeled a celebrity is "mammal", but I feel as I keep trying for Jeopardy and others, I got to spy on what the kids are into these days. Now don't go eatin' any Tide pods and get off my lawn.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

47/50. Missed 31 (picked a different Dutch artist), 32 (no idea), and 35 (couldn't remember it).
Hoping for a third lap
Lumosityfan
2014 Teen Tournament Champion

Post by Lumosityfan »

Got 42 here. Not bad considering the pop culture were somewhat guesses (although this clearly shows I need to watch more TV :| College does not a TV watcher make.)
jiwoo wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:09 pm got 41/50 correct :| :| :|

Spoiler
That's a great score! Honestly when I took the online test I got around that score and I still managed to snag an audition so don't worry too much. I know when I went to my auditions 250 people were chosen for the audition sites out of maybe at least 100,000 so about less than 1%? It's hard to get into an audition so I wouldn't sweat the score too much.
Jeopardizing questions since 2004!
2014 Jeopardy! Teen Tournament Champion