Tuesday, March 20, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, March 20, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7722, 2018-03-20

CONTESTANTS
John Bizal, a retired high school English teacher from Scottsdale, Arizona
AJ Freeman, a customer solutions advisor from Boise, Idaho
Lisa Mueller, a technical services librarian from Naperville, Illinois (whose 1-day cash winnings total $16,800)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, John. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Crowned a new champion on the program yesterday in Lisa, had a runaway game. AJ and John, good to have you with us. And let's go to work right now in the Jeopardy! Round. Categories are as follows...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
GEEK CONFUSION (4/5)
BROTHERHOODS (5/5)
THE START OF AN "ART" (2/2)
THE MOST EXCITING PLAY (5/5)
INSIDE THE PARK (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
HOME RUN (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Lisa: 11 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 0 W
AJ: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
John: 6 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Lisa found the Daily Double on the 11th clue. Lisa had $2,800, AJ had $2,600, and John was at $200. Lisa made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,800.

INSIDE THE PARK $600: The Serpentine & Speakers' Corner
(Alex: [*] in London, yes.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Lisa: $6,400
AJ: $3,200
John: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: John Bizal is from Scottsdale, Arizona. A retired high school English teacher. You seemed to be really happy when that HOME RUN category came up, and the reason for that is of your collection.

John: Well, I was not happy I didn't get in to answer any of them, but I have a collection of over 100 books about baseball. The history, biographies, statistics. Go all the way back to the 1800s.

Alex: Wow, that's great. Enjoy it.

Alex: AJ Freeman from Boise, Idaho. You and I have something in common that you don't know about. We both ran and carried the Olympic flame. Where did you do yours?

AJ: Mine was in my hometown of Idaho Falls, Idaho. The Olympic torch came through town on its way to the Atlanta games, where Muhammad Ali took it eventually.

Alex: Yeah, but it was good, right?

AJ: It was very fun. Along the green belt of town.

Alex: Do you still have the torch?

AJ: No.

Alex: You don't. They let me have the torch.

AJ: Lucky you.

Alex: Yeah, after I transferred the flame. Yeah. I've got it. Hmm.

Alex: Lisa Mueller is from Illinois. Now, when you were younger, you published in a nationally known publication in which you disrespected Big Bird?

Lisa: I love Big Bird. I wrote to them, and I said, "My third favorite color is yellow, just like you are." I guess it's kind of a backhanded compliment. And then I drew a picture of my bunnies, which, I kind of lied to them, I guess, because I didn't actually have bunnies. But I just wanted to draw some bunnies.

Alex: You get the feeling that our current champion is a little weird?

[Laughter as Lisa reacts]

Alex: Let's carry on. Oh, give me the look. You disrespected Big Bird. You're lucky to be here.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
GEEK CONFUSION $400: Kardashians are reality TV stars; Cardassians are an alien culture in this sci-fi universe
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Lisa: $8,200
AJ: $4,000
John: $3,400
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, March 20, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MATT DAMON (5/5)
ELECTORAL COLLEGE SILVER MEDALISTS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE OBJECT OF MY OBSESSION (5/5)
BOOKS ABOUT ASIA (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
COMPOSERS (3/4)
BODIES OF WATER WORDS (3/5) (Alex: Each response contains a body of water in its name.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
John: 14 R (including 1 rebound and 2 DDs), 1 W
Lisa: 7 R, 2 W
AJ: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
John snagged the next Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Lisa had $8,200, AJ had $3,600, and John was at $3,400. John wagered $2,000.

BOOKS ABOUT ASIA $800: An early 2000s bestseller was a memoir about a secret book club in this city that discussed works like "Lolita"
(Alex: Reading Lolita in [*].)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was John who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 11th clue. Lisa had $10,200, AJ had $7,600, and John was at $7,000. John wagered $3,000.

ELECTORAL COLLEGE SILVER MEDALISTS $1600: In 1864 Lincoln gave him a general beatdown, 212-21

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BOOKS ABOUT ASIA $400: Spending 7 years in the hermit kingdom as a business executive helped Felix Abt write "A Capitalist in" this nation
(AJ: What is Tibet?)

COMPOSERS $2000: At 22 this alliterative British composer led the Worcester glee club; 25 years later in 1904, he was knighted
(Lisa: Who is Benjamin Britten?)

BODIES OF WATER WORDS $800: Don't think too long about this word meaning "to think long"
(Alex: There's a pond in [*].)

BODIES OF WATER WORDS $2000: Meaning "prudish", this hyphenated word is the right way for putting on a bodice
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
John: $22,400
Lisa: $14,200
AJ: $8,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ROMAN HISTORY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
John: Wager $6,001 to cover Lisa, but no more than $6,399 so as not to fall behind AJ's doubled score.
Lisa: You have the hope of surpassing John if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $8,201 to force John to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by AJ.
AJ: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of this battle in 31 B.C., Virgil wrote, "Neptune's fields grow red with fresh slaughter"

FINAL SCORES
AJ: $8,000 - $7,000 = $1,000 (What is Rome?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Lisa: $14,200 + $2,200 = $16,400 (What is Battle of Actium?) (2-day champion: $33,200)
John: $22,400 - $6,001 = $16,399 (What is Salerno?) (2nd place: $2,000)
(Alex: It was a naval battle, obviously.)
(Alex: [To Lisa] Where Cleopatra and Mark Antony lost to Augustus.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $5,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
John: $19,800, 20 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Lisa: $12,000, 18 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
AJ: $8,000, 13 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $39,800

BATTING AVERAGES
John: 20/60 = .333
Lisa: 19/59 = .322
AJ: 13/58 = .224
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
HOME RUN $800: The longest MLB homer of 2016 was a 504-foot shot by this Florida team's Giancarlo Stanton
(Alex: He's now with the Yankees, of course.)

HOME RUN $1000: A 1983 World Series homer by this Oakland A's muscleman left a dent in a center field TV camera

THE MOST EXCITING PLAY $400: Though it may have put me off all pies forever, this play about a "demon barber" certainly has some thrills
(John: What is The Barber of Seville?)

THE START OF AN "ART" $400: It's a diagram like this one that shows a sequence of movements involved in a complex activity

GEEK CONFUSION $600: Bilbo is the title character of "The Hobbit"; this city is the capital of Spain's Vizcaya province
(John: What is Balboa?)

GEEK CONFUSION $800: Metatron is an archangel of Jewish myth; this Transformers bad guy could be turned into a toy gun
(AJ: Who is Optimus Prime?)

GEEK CONFUSION $1000: Hodor is a "Game of Thrones" character; this is the last name of Eugene, who put out his first travel book in 1936
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

COMPOSERS $1200: In the 19th century composers like Mendelssohn & Weber were among the first to do this standing up
(John: What is write?)

BOOKS ABOUT ASIA $2000: "First They Killed My Father" by Loung Ung takes place during the brutal reign of this group in Cambodia
(AJ: Who are the Khmer?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(AJ: [*]?)

ELECTORAL COLLEGE SILVER MEDALISTS $400: In 1888 this president was down in his re-election bid 168-233, but 4 years later proved to be not out
(Lisa: Who is Benjamin Harrison?)

ELECTORAL COLLEGE SILVER MEDALISTS $1200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents the clue.) Here's the 1824 Electoral College map--Andrew Jackson got the most Electoral College votes with 99, but with the vote split 4 ways, no one had a majority, & the House elected this man as president

COMPOSERS $1600: In 1893, he was in the house as the New York Philharmonic gave the world premiere of his symphony, "From the New World"

THE OBJECT OF MY OBSESSION $1600: Dipsomania
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Hyde Park
Star Trek
Tehran
(George) McClellan
North Korea
Elgar
ponder
straitlaced
the Battle of Actium
the Marlins
(Jose) Canseco
Sweeney Todd
a flowchart
Bilbao
Megatron
Fodor
lead the orchestra (or conduct)
Khmer Rouge
(Grover) Cleveland
Quincy Adams
(Antonin) Dvorak
alcohol
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ROMAN HISTORY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of this battle in 31 B.C., Virgil wrote, “Neptune’s fields grow red with fresh slaughter”

Lisa Mueller: 14200+2200=16400 (2x = $33,200)
AJ Freeman: 8000-7000=1000
John Bizal: 22400-6001=16399

Correct response:
Spoiler
Actium (AJ – Rome) (John – Salerno)

Daily Doubles
Lisa: 2800+2800
John: 3400+2000
John: 7000+3000

Coryats
Lisa: 12000
AJ: 8000
John: 19800

Combined: 39,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Lisa: 8200
AJ: 4000
John: 3400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Uncle Alex called Lisa “a little weird” after her story about disrespecting Big Bird and drawing bunnies when she did not own bunnies. This was Lisa’s reaction to Alex’s remark:

Alex noticed the look and the host gets the last word. “You’re lucky to be here.”

Even if John had farmed both of his DDs I still don’t think he would have had enough to lock the match. Lisa knew how to wager from second place and she was able to take the match with the sole solve.

John was introduced as a retired English teacher so that gets him a little more leeway on the FJ! clue miss than if he taught history.

2015 was the most recent time the battle was asked for and it went TS in this game when the clue provided even more information:

#7109, aired 2015-07-09 VICTORY $1000: Victory over Mark Antony in this 31 B.C. naval battle made Octavian the undisputed ruler of Rome

Today’s clue with the year and coupled with the category was enough to steer me where to go even before I understood that Neptune meant naval.

Round 3 of Lisa and Alex at chat time should be fun tomorrow.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

I'm sure that this is going to be a hot take with some of you, but I think that the game overall will be improved with a result like this, as opposed to a game where Lisa had just gone all-in.

If Lisa just goes all-in here, nobody blinks an eye.

But winning by $1? That might be enough to get more people interested in learning about wagering strategy, and the game will be better in the future for it.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:27 pm I'm sure that this is going to be a hot take with some of you, but I think that the game overall will be improved with a result like this, as opposed to a game where Lisa had just gone all-in.

But winning by $1? That might be enough to get more people interested in learning about wagering strategy, and the game will be better in the future for it.
Agreed, even if I wasn't already connected with her I'd want her to do well simply based on this wager.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:40 pm Uncle Alex called Lisa “a little weird” after her story about disrespecting Big Bird and drawing bunnies when she did not own bunnies. This was Lisa’s reaction to Alex’s remark . . .

Alex noticed the look and the host gets the last word. “You’re lucky to be here.”
Nerdcore redux. You go, Lisa! 8-)
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:40 pm Uncle Alex called Lisa “a little weird”
She's going to write a letter when she leaves.

(And if she addresses it to him, he'll answer, I guess?)
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $33,200
45 R/1 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :(
LT: Star Trek, North Korea, ponder

It is great to see a contestant win with a truly savvy wager, as opposed to one mistakenly dubbed so by Alex.

I too got suckered on Benjamin Britten.

No BMS on "Canseco"? :lol: Jose and Ozzie are identical twins, after all. Ozzie was even drafted 13 rounds ahead of Jose. Between the two of them, they have 462 Major League home runs.
Spoiler
Jose hit 462 during his 17-year career. In Ozzie's 24 games in the bigs, he never hit one out.
Sprinkles are for winners.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:45 pm

No BMS on "Canseco"? :lol: Jose and Ozzie are identical twins, after all. Ozzie was even drafted 13 rounds ahead of Jose. Between the two of them, they have 462 Major League home runs.
Spoiler
Jose hit 462 during his 17-year career. In Ozzie's 24 games in the bigs, he never hit one out.
Does Stanton have any baseball-playing relatives? Hank's brother Tommie hit 13 HRs and even George Brett's brother Ken the pitcher hit 10.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:03 pm
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:45 pm

Spoiler
Does Stanton have any baseball-playing relatives? Hank's brother Tommie hit 13 HRs and even George Brett's brother Ken the pitcher hit 10.
Other than his twin brother Mike? Whatever happened to that guy anyway.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:27 pm I'm sure that this is going to be a hot take with some of you, but I think that the game overall will be improved with a result like this, as opposed to a game where Lisa had just gone all-in.

It was a mistake, though. This game was a crush, meaning that Lisa's only chance to win the game was if she solved correctly while the leader missed. And since she needed a correct response anyway, she may as well go all in to maximize her winnings in those games she does win (and also hedge against the possibility that the leader underwagers). --Bob
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Bob78164 wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:17 pm

It was a mistake, though. This game was a crush, meaning that Lisa's only chance to win the game was if she solved correctly while the leader missed. And since she needed a correct response anyway, she may as well go all in to maximize her winnings in those games she does win (and also hedge against the possibility that the leader underwagers). --Bob
Congratulations, Bob, you completely missed my point.
Andy Saunders
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This was a whole mess of categories in my hammerhouse.

I thought that Parks category was very YEKIOYD too. There's a Cleopatra's Needle in Central Park?!

Add "upstart" to the list of "Words I've heard of, but didn't know the meaning of".

"Well, I know Matt Damon was in the Bourne whatever movies, but what was the guy named?" Derp.

I could tell you literally nothing about Roman history. I couldn't name any of the battles. What the hell could I even have put down as a guess? I can say with absolute certainty that I have NHO the correct response.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

After they missed the Star Trek clue, I was staring daggers at the screen, ready to walk out if Megatron was a TS. Stop abusing my inner child :(

Do you actually believe that's going to happen? You're far more optimistic than I am. Honestly, after seeing so many contestants go all-in when they shouldn't, and bet small when all-in is actually a strategically valid move, I was expecting this to happen. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see more contestants take the time to think about their wagers and do the math. I don't think this'll inspire them to do it -- too many bad wagers in other games for the good ones to make an impression. I also don't want them to be inspired to miss out on an extra $12k *shrug*
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

xxaaaxx wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:36 pm Do you actually believe that's going to happen? You're far more optimistic than I am.
Considering the first reactions on Reddit to today's result were "OMG explain Lisa's bet", yes, I do believe that's going to happen.
Andy Saunders
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

ran categories Brotherhood, Geek Confusion, Electoral College Silver Medalists. :D
trash pickup: Star Trek, ponder, strait-laced. Bit on the Tibet negbait for North Korea, laughed at the snowflake clue. :lol:
FJ: Actium was a blind spot. Put down Battle of Carthage just to have something, tho I knew the Punic Wars were earlier. :(
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:51 pm
xxaaaxx wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:36 pm Do you actually believe that's going to happen? You're far more optimistic than I am.
Considering the first reactions on Reddit to today's result were "OMG explain Lisa's bet", yes, I do believe that's going to happen.
Maybe a lot of those were aghast at why she would throw away at least $6001, and just expressing it in a sarcastic way.
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Category 13 wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:02 pm Maybe a lot of those were aghast at why she would throw away at least $6001
Sometimes, you don't need 100% route efficiency to make a highlight-reel catch.
Andy Saunders
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Wpwells wrote:
OntarioQuizzer wrote: But winning by $1? That might be enough to get more people interested in learning about wagering strategy, and the game will be better in the future for it.
Agreed, even if I wasn't already connected with her I'd want her to do well simply based on this wager.
BigDaddyMatty wrote: It is great to see a contestant win with a truly savvy wager, as opposed to one mistakenly dubbed so by Alex.
I couldn't bring myself to call it a savvy wager, as much as it was penny wise & dollar foolish. I think it could be called a savant wager.

If she wins enough games for contestants in the queue to pick up on her frugal wagering habits (2 for 2 at absolute minimum), she risks getting shot down by a small wager from a non-lock leader.