Tuesday, March 27, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7727, 2018-03-27

CONTESTANTS
Robert Dimitri, a management and production assistant from Los Angeles, California
Katy Rosati, a communications manager from New York, New York
Johnny Trutor, an instructional technologist from Colchester, Vermont (whose 1-day cash winnings total $14,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Good to have you with us once again. I'm gonna start off today with the words "if only." At the end of Jeopardy! yesterday, going into Final, Johnny had more than an $11,000 lead. If only he had wagered. He didn't. He wound up with $14,000. Not bad. Katy and Dimitri, what's going to happen with you two against him today? Let's start finding out. Here we go. Today we feature these categories in the Jeopardy! Round...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ALTERNATIVE AGRICULTURE AT BOWERY FARMS (5/5) (Alex: Where they are looking into indoor farming. Interesting subject.)
FRENCH FIRST NAME'S THE SAME (5/5)
TELEVISION (5/5)
A BLANK EXPRESSION (5/5)
BUYING ALASKA (5/5)
LITERARY CROSSWORD CLUES "M" (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dimitri: 12 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Johnny: 9 R, 0 W
Katy: 8 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dimitri found the Daily Double on the 5th clue. Johnny had no money, Katy was in the red with -$200, and Dimitri was at $1,000. Dimitri made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,000.

LITERARY CROSSWORD CLUES "M" $1000: Corruption exposers, like Ida Tarbell & Upton Sinclair
(10)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Dimitri: $3,400
Johnny: $2,200
Katy: $2,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Robert Dimitri is from Los Angeles, and there has to be a story here. It says that Princess Leia protested at your wedding.

Dimitri: That is true. The departed Carrie Fisher, who we miss dearly, who portrayed Princess Leia. So at my wedding, we had a cardboard cutout of Leia, and you know, in the movies, they always have scenes where people protest weddings, but I had never been to one where that happened. So it was my idea to have my original crush, Princess Leia, protest during the wedding, so one of my nieces pulled up the cardboard cutout and said, "Wait! What about me?" And so I let her down gently.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Katy Rosati is from New York. She's a communications manager. Currently working on a skill that I have a great deal of admiration for. Calligraphy, right?

Katy: Yes, yes. I went to Catholic school for ten years, so I have pretty decent handwriting.

Alex: Is that because of the nuns? The sisters who taught you?

Katy: Yes. I would attribute it to them.

Alex: Yeah, with a stick in one hand, and "No, don't, you're slanting the wrong way." Been there, done that.

Alex: Johnny Trutor is our champion. And the family that watches together stays together. And that applies to your family and Jeopardy!, am I right?

Johnny: Absolutely. Every 7PM, we kick Dad off the Xbox--I know that's weird to say--we kick him off the Xbox, we get into the living room, and we occupy for 22 minutes of television goodness.

Alex: That's nice.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LITERARY CROSSWORD CLUES "M" $800: A short lyrical love poem, often set to music
(8)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Johnny: $6,600
Dimitri: $5,800
Katy: $4,400
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ON WITH THE SHOW (4/5)
ISLANDS (5/5)
A LITTLE BIRDIE TOLD ME... (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE HISTORY BOOKSHELF (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MOVIE TITLES GET RELIGION (2/5)
SILENT G (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Katy: 11 R (including 2 rebounds and 2 DDs), 1 W
Dimitri: 7 R, 1 W
Johnny: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Katy snagged the next Daily Double on the 28th clue. Johnny had $13,800, Katy had $10,800, and Dimitri was at $12,600. Katy wagered $1,500.

A LITTLE BIRDIE TOLD ME... $2000: In Rossini's opera "La Gazza Ladra", a maid is accused of stealing silver, but the real thief turns out to be this title bird
(Alex: The Thieving [*]. Less than a minute now.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Katy who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Johnny had $13,800, Katy had $12,300, and Dimitri was at $12,600. Katy wagered $2,000.

THE HISTORY BOOKSHELF $1600: A shelf essential is Thucydides' classic on this war

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SILENT G $2000: A metamorphic rock rich in quartz; awww! That's...!
(Katy: What is igneous?)

MOVIE TITLES GET RELIGION $400: In the title of a 1957 movie that reworks G.B. Shaw's original text, this word precedes "Joan"

MOVIE TITLES GET RELIGION $800: Paul Bettany was the title cleric tracking down a niece who was kidnapped by vampires in this 2011 film

MOVIE TITLES GET RELIGION $1600: Mickey Rourke pontificates quite a bit as the title character in this NYC-set 1984 film

ON WITH THE SHOW $1200: 2-word term for the equestrian event that involves a series of obstacles in an arena that must be leapt over

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Katy: $16,300
Dimitri: $12,600
Johnny: $11,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
1960s NO. 1 SONGS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Katy: Wager $8,901 to cover Dimitri.
Dimitri: You ought to wager to cover Johnny, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings with a wager of all $12,600. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $11,000 (to shut out Johnny) or less than $5,200 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Johnny). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Katy.
Johnny: Consider risking between $801 and $4,400. This will top a $0 wager by Dimitri while still beating Katy on the Triple Stumper (should Katy wager to cover Dimitri's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Complaints about heavy workloads inspired the titles of 2 songs by this group, No. 1 hits 7 months apart

FINAL SCORES
Johnny: $11,800 - $11,800 = $0 (Who are the Rolling Stones) (3rd place: $1,000)
Dimitri: $12,600 + $11,001 = $23,601 (Who are The Beatles?) (New champion: $23,601)
Katy: $16,300 + $3,000 = $19,300 (Who are The Beatles?) (2nd place: $2,000)
(Alex: [To Dimitri] "It's A Hard Day's Night" and "Eight Days A Week" were the two hit songs that they came up with.

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Katy: $16,400, 19 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Dimitri: $12,600, 19 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Johnny: $11,800, 16 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $40,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Dimitri: 20/59 = .339
Katy: 20/60 = .333
Johnny: 16/58 = .276
Team: 56/63 = .889

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
LITERARY CROSSWORD CLUES "M" $400: Faustian fiend
(14)
(Katy: Who is Machiavelli?)

TELEVISION $200: On Sunday, he is so last week

TELEVISION $600: She's been on TV as a teen detective & a resident of "The Good Place"

BUYING ALASKA $200: Of $7 million, $70 million or $700 million, the approximate amount the U.S. paid Russia for Alaska
(Alex: 7.2.)

BUYING ALASKA $400: The purchase was derisively called this man's "Folly", after the Secretary of State who led the effort to buy Alaska

ALTERNATIVE AGRICULTURE AT BOWERY FARMS $200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents from Bowery Farms in Kearny, NJ.) Indoor farming can consume 95% less water than traditional methods & doesn't require application of these chemicals that release more than 5 billion pounds of contaminants into the environment each year

ALTERNATIVE AGRICULTURE AT BOWERY FARMS $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents from Bowery Farms in Kearny, NJ.) Bowery tends its crops with a proprietary automated operating system that monitors every step of the growing process, beginning with this first stage, from Latin for "to sprout"
(Alex: With less than a minute now.)

ALTERNATIVE AGRICULTURE AT BOWERY FARMS $600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents from Bowery Farms in Kearny, NJ.) The practice of vertical farming dates to antiquity, with historic examples including the 2000-year-old rice terraces of the Philippines & this possibly legendary one of the seven wonders of the ancient world

ALTERNATIVE AGRICULTURE AT BOWERY FARMS $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents from Bowery Farms in Kearny, NJ.) It's projected that by 2050 two-thirds of Earth's population will live in cities far from traditional food sources; indoor vertical farming brings fresh produce to urban areas with this soil-free growing process, from Greek words meaning "water" & "labor"

ALTERNATIVE AGRICULTURE AT BOWERY FARMS $1000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents from Bowery Farms in Kearny, NJ.) Urban farming also has a long tradition; in both World Wars I and II, patriotic ads encouraged city-dwellers across America to grow food in these gardens with a winning name

ON WITH THE SHOW $400: Touring England in 1887, the Wild West show begun by this man was so exciting, Queen Victoria saw it multiple times
(Johnny: Who is Wild Bill... Hickok?)

ON WITH THE SHOW $2000: The Armory Show, a groundbreaking 1913 exhibition, introduced many Americans to the work of this impressionist

ISLANDS $1200: First included on a map in 1351, this Atlantic ocean group has 9 main islands

ISLANDS $1600: No man is an island, but the Isle of Man is found in this "national" sea
(Dimitri: Oh. What is the English Channel?)

A LITTLE BIRDIE TOLD ME... $1600: He was really good at painting birds--look for yourself

THE HISTORY BOOKSHELF $2000: People once left out of history books get their due in the prize-winning this family "of Monticello"
(Johnny: Who are the Jeffersons?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
muckrakers
a madrigal
a magpie
the Peloponnesian War
gneiss
saint
Priest
The Pope of Greenwich Village
show jumping
The Beatles
Mephistopheles
(John) Oliver
(Kristen) Bell
$7 million
(William) Seward
pesticides
germination
the Hanging Gardens of Babylon
hydroponics
victory gardens
(Buffalo) Bill Cody
Renoir
the Azores
the Irish Sea
Audubon
the Hemings
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
1960s NO. 1 SONGS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Complaints about heavy workloads inspired the titles of 2 songs by this group, No. 1 hits 7 months apart

Johnny Trutor: 11800-11800=0
Katy Rosati: 16300+3000=19300
Robert Dimitri: 12600+11001=23601 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
The Beatles (Johnny – the Rolling Stones)

Daily Doubles
Robert: 1000+1000
Katy: 10800+1500 (clue 28 with Johnny 13800 & Robert 12600)
Katy: 12300+2000 (clue 29 with Johnny 13800 & Robert 12600) ($2000 clue still to play)

Coryats
Johnny: 11800
Katy: 16400
Robert: 12600

Combined: 40.800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Johnny: 6600
Katy: 4400
Robert: 5800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

That was a good chat session with Robert’s Princess Leia wedding story, Katy’s nuns/calligraphy and Johnny’s kicking dad off the Xbox to watch J! each night. Katy did have the best written name of the three players although her FJ! response writing was nothing special.

The players had a solid J! round and followed it up with a good DJ! round as well to make everyone happy with all clues played.

The match was up for grabs in the DJ! round with both DDs still hidden late with four clues to go. Clue 27 wanted the bird painter, so I have to expect all three players were trying to get in. Katy got it and had the guaranteed DD when she picked the $2000 clue.

The scores at that point were:
Katy: 10800
Johnny: 13800

Katy’s +1500 moved her all the way to—still in third place.

She picked the $1600 box of the last remaining category and found DD3. This time she wagered $2000 and took the lead with the scoreboard showing:
Katy: 14300
Johnny: 13800

One $2000 clue to go, so anyone could have the lead for the FJ! round. Johnny negged and Katy picked up the rebound.

1960s NO. 1 SONGS was the category and of course Alex had to throw in, “You’re too young to remember.”

Two players got it and the miss was reasonable as well with the group having #1 songs in July & November 1965. Take that Alex.

I had the right group on the paper although it was not a pen down kind of get as I wondered about The Beach Boys throughout think time. My problem with less than certainty for my guess was only having the lesser song as a likely title and not the more famous one. If I would have thought of the song famous enough to have its own movie then there would have been no doubt.

Katy and her low wager needed a tougher clue that really did have players too young to know it and then she could have played tomorrow. Robert took advantage of the gift and we’ll see if he can fare better at the champ’s spot than has been happening the past five games.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:00 pm
1960s NO. 1 SONGS was the category and of course Alex had to throw in, “You’re too young to remember.”
The Beatles? Never heard of them.

The FJ clue had a lot to process in 30 seconds. "Hard Day's Night" came to mind immediately (along with several others, including "Working in a Coal Mine" - which I knew was Devo, but thought it was a cover of a 60s song). Ok, so what is the other song? "Eight Days a Week" - that's not about work - but after 25 seconds, Beatles seemed like as good a guess as any.

That wager though - I don't get what it was intended to accomplish; if you really think that everyone is going to miss it, why bet anything at all?
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

44 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Gneiss, Show Jumping

A bunch of category runs.

0/5 in Movie Title Religion.

Have seen many of Renoir's works but that painting is unfamiliar to me. Though I have seen the Audubon painting many times.
Douglas Squasoni
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:02 pm

The FJ clue had a lot to process in 30 seconds. "Hard Day's Night" came to mind immediately (along with several others, including "Working in a Coal Mine" - which I knew was Devo, but thought it was a cover of a 60s song). Ok, so what is the other song? "Eight Days a Week" - that's not about work - but after 25 seconds, Beatles seemed like as good a guess as any.
I'm glad I didn't have to face that wicked FJ question...

Wicked because while it's not technically wrong...
(wikipedia confirms that yes, both of those Beatles song titles were indeed inspired by someone talking about working too hard)

...Eight Days a Week is lyrically 100% love song with no talk of overworking. So this Beatles fan would've considered it but I might've discarded that song and written down an answer like The Supremes. (for some reason the category title had me expecting Motown...)

Dimitry was the local alternate (who didn't get onstage) during my second tape day. Looks like he had to cool his heels for another six weeks before he got called back for real.
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

RobW wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:44 pm ...Eight Days a Week is lyrically 100% love song with no talk of overworking. So this Beatles fan would've considered it but I might've discarded that song and written down an answer like The Supremes. (for some reason the category title had me expecting Motown...)
The first song that came to my mind was "Chain Gang," but I couldn't remember who sang it. (Sam Cooke.) With that "Ooh! . . . Ah!" refrain going through my head, I would never have gotten near the Beatles. Temptations, maybe, but Beatles, no.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Great game..little more confidence from Katy -- she could have / would have. Too bad.

Dreaded FJ category. OK -- something about work -- Manic Monday? Too new

Five o'clock world? Probably old enough. I have nothing else..lets go with it.

Note to self: 60's music - put Beatles in FJ.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Posting without reading to say that Rob is a player in LearnedLeague (DimitriCRob), as well as a newish regular at O'Brien's Pub Quiz. I imagine (and hope) he did well!
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Pre called the band, wrote the band immediately in ink ... but picked both songs incorrectly (Help! and I'm So Tired).

There's no other band in the 60s that I think that would fit the "overworked" description.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $39,000
49 R/1 W
DD: 1/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: madrigal, gneiss, Saint Joan, show jumping

"It's been a hard's day's night, and I've been working like a dog" came to me the moment Alex started reading, so I figured The Beatles had to be the correct response. It took another ten seconds or so to come up with "Eight Days A Week," which sounds like the way an overworked person would describe his schedule.

I thought it was Methistopheles. Better to make that mistake at home than in the studio, I guess.

I had no clue on the magpie--my best stab at a cognate was gazza-->goose--and I lost a coin flip between the Trojan and Peloponnesian.

I recognized DimitriCRob from LL, so it was cool to see him win.
Sprinkles are for winners.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MitchO wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:32 pm Pre called the band, wrote the band immediately in ink ... but picked both songs incorrectly (Help! and I'm So Tired).

There's no other band in the 60s that I think that would fit the "overworked" description.
The No. 1 songs The Rolling Stones had in the latter half of 1965 were "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" and "Get Off Of My Cloud" which seem slightly plausible to fit an "overworked" description, keeping in mind it's not about the lyrics.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

MitchO wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:32 pm Pre called the band, wrote the band immediately in ink ... but picked both songs incorrectly (Help! and I'm So Tired).

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid git...
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

So first Robert switches away from History Bookshelf with a DD there. Then with 2x DDs served up on a silver platter and a chance to take a commanding lead, she bets those miniscule amounts of money and is barely up by 500. I was hoping for one of the guys to grab the 2k clue but nope, wouldn't want teach the folks at home better DD wagering or anything.

FJ...60s hit songs? LOL! Unless it's the Beatles I'll just mark it down as a miss ahead of tim....wait, WHAT?! It is, however, a good thing they didn't ask for the songs; I thought of A Hard Day's Night immediately, but never would've come with Eight Days a Week.

Well I guess those tiny DD wagers worked out for he.....wait, WHAT!!!??? I know I've said this before, but if I ever get up there, I will never bet small from the lead in FJ. Even in the worst category imaginable for me, they occasionally serve up a softball.

This was a really close, exciting game, capped off by 3 minutes of nonsense.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

That wager though - I don't get what it was intended to accomplish; if you really think that everyone is going to miss it, why bet anything at all?
If I was at the podium, I would have written the Beatles just to have a response down. Total WAG get.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:40 pm

The No. 1 songs The Rolling Stones had in the latter half of 1965 were "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" and "Get Off Of My Cloud" which seem slightly plausible to fit an "overworked" description, keeping in mind it's not about the lyrics.
This isn't about the song titles, it's about the band history. A major part of the story of the Beatles is how insane their schedules were the first few years; multiple events in pretty much every day, flying from movies to studio to concerts, and the insanity of how they had to avoid the fans as they traveled.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:41 pm Posting without reading to say that Rob is a player in LearnedLeague (DimitriCRob), as well as a newish regular at O'Brien's Pub Quiz. I imagine (and hope) he did well!
If my memory serves, he also almost beat The Beast in a single player Final Chase a few years ago, then was brought back and won with a second chance team.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

threearruda wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:38 pm
seaborgium wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:41 pm Posting without reading to say that Rob is a player in LearnedLeague (DimitriCRob), as well as a newish regular at O'Brien's Pub Quiz. I imagine (and hope) he did well!
If my memory serves, he also almost beat The Beast in a single player Final Chase a few years ago, then was brought back and won with a second chance team.
This site does not list last names, but does have a Robert fitting your description of events: http://gameshows.wikia.com/wiki/The_Chase

This is definitely him on the return visit with Muffy:
Spoiler
BobF

Post by BobF »

RobW wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:44 pm

I'm glad I didn't have to face that wicked FJ question...

Wicked because while it's not technically wrong...
(wikipedia confirms that yes, both of those Beatles song titles were indeed inspired by someone talking about working too hard)

...Eight Days a Week is lyrically 100% love song with no talk of overworking. So this Beatles fan would've considered it but I might've discarded that song and written down an answer like The Supremes. (for some reason the category title had me expecting Motown...)

Dimitry was the local alternate (who didn't get onstage) during my second tape day. Looks like he had to cool his heels for another six weeks before he got called back for real.
This was a weird one for me as I'm also a huge Beatles fan. For about 20 seconds I was stuck on the song "16 Tons" and I was thinking it was by the same band that did "Tom Dooley" and I didn't come up with the name. Then I thought, almost out of time, let's go with the Beatles. Oh yeah, Hard Day's Night and Can't Buy Me Love. Surprised the second was Eight Days.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!