Wednesday, March 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

clprez
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, March 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by clprez »

FJ was an instaget for me, although I never knew there was a musical. I was a big Whitney Houston fan back in the day.

Joey's demeanor reminded me of Matt Jackson, especially the way he called out for the next clue.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I went with Dirty Dancing, knowing it wouldn't be right because the word "dance" is in the clue.

I might get "Bodyguard" if you spot me Whitney Houston, and song about "you're my hero".
Twelvefootgirl knew it was Whitney but couldn't pull the movie name. As a triple get, I assumed it was too easy, but I have company here, so the writers have done it again. But it makes two days of music FJ's in a row.

I was happy to see Joey recover from a proper DD bet on a tricky bastard question. So he bets on a Triple stumper and gets the first triple get in several shows (I think).

For whatever reason, the Jacob Javits center isn't very well known, and even a Connecticut player didn't get it. I NHO it until going to pick up 5K race packets prior to the NY marathon that was cancelled for Slight Rainstorm Sandy in 2012.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

29 R
DD: 1/2
FJ: :(
LT: Pascal, Terracotta Army, Apartheid, Sphinx, (Ireland), San Remo

Knew Kazantzakis wrote another famous novel other than "Zorba the Greek", but forgot the title. :oops:
Douglas Squasoni
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Joey reminded me of Hank Azaria.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:57 pm Joey reminded me of Hank Azaria.
He reminded me of Matt Jackson.
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Squasoni
davey

Post by davey »

Leander wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:48 pm The funny thing is, The Bodyguard musical has never run on Broadway, so I never considered it. I went with Footloose :oops:
Who knew there was a US national tour running now? Look out, Fort Myers! The major production of the show was in London, people seemed to love Heather Headley in the lead but I never heard much enthusiasm for moving it to NY...I should have remembered who sang I Wanna Dance With Somebody but it wasn't happening tonight...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

WNEM is fucking absurd. A "Better Deals" show to whore out local businesses that they've already whored out a billion times before. No mention of it on their schedule. Constant complaints on Facebook and Twitter, but they haven't responded to a single one. Is it this common for affiliates to be this fucking ignorant? Just what I needed after a nightmare of a closing shift.

I think my anger made me blank on a lot of clues I'd have gotten otherwise.

If there were a song for my cat, it'd be "Runaway" by Del Shannon.

I have a feeling that no one was expecting me to go for a threepeat here. I didn't know The Bodyguard was from 1992, I didn't know what it was about, and I didn't know it had a musical based on it. Didn't even have a valid WAG.

Insert obligatory rant that Whiny Houston's version of "IIIIEEEYIEIEIEIEI WILL ALWAYS LOOOOOVE YOOUOOUOUOUOUU!!!!!" is absolute torture and IT'S NOT A GODDAMN LOVE SONG DO YOU PEOPLE HONESTLY ONLY LISTEN TO THE CHORUS AKSFDJSKFJSDKLFDFJ

Lach Trash: Apartheid
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Ugh, hammer got apartheid & I didn’t!!!! I did get FJ rather quickly although I didn’t realize it had been made into a musical. I can’t believe Joey bet zero but I should also know better by now. The winner’s voice sounds like Martha on Baskets.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:44 pm I was greatly surprised at Danny's zero bet after his hubristic Daily Double and his very crafty video daily double that put him into the lead.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hubris
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

a1srvng, where are you?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Category 13 wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:43 pm Not a Whitney Houston fan so I wasn't getting this FJ.

The outer two podiums went to wagering school, so Joey's only hope was a TS final clue.
I also wonder if Dimitri deliberately bluffed Joey into sitting pat.

The last two games have delivered a result that promotes first place covering third by $2.
me neither...as you can see from my avatar i am a cannibal corpse and extreme metal listener...but even i knew those were whitney houston songs
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:38 pm What is in the water!? Again, no matter how much you hate a category, sometimes it's a softball right down the middle of the plate.
Tell me about it. The FJ situation today was an almost exact repeat of yesterday's. Once again, the leader cost himself/herself a victory by not realizing how irrational a small wager in that position would be. Yes, I get that Joey might have been bad at "Musical Theater".

But he certainly wasn't going to be 10% bad, which would have been the amount to justify not even covering 3rd.

Anywho, sometimes being good at category is a negative. In this case, "The Bodyguard" crossed my mind, but I was very confident the movie came out in 1993. Oops.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

IronNeck wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:43 am
xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:38 pm What is in the water!? Again, no matter how much you hate a category, sometimes it's a softball right down the middle of the plate.
Tell me about it. The FJ situation today was an almost exact repeat of yesterday's. Once again, the leader cost himself/herself a victory by not realizing how irrational a small wager in that position would be. Yes, I get that Joey might have been bad at "Musical Theater".

But he certainly wasn't going to be 10% bad, which would have been the amount to justify not even covering 3rd.
Add to this the fact that Joey had just personally witnessed that catastrophic underbet by the leader, ie he was sitting in the audience for the Tuesday show!

As they say, "fear is the mind-killer" :(
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:58 pm
He reminded me of Rowan Atkinson.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

I never pass up the chance to tell one of the best jokes ever told:

What is Whitney Houston's favourite kind of coordination?
Spoiler
Hand-eeeeeeeeeeeeeeye
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

silverscreentest wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:03 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:58 pm
He reminded me of Rowan Atkinson.
Mr. Bean plays Jeopardy!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Apparently one of the questions last night caught the eye of Eric Trump:

Always fun being a #jeopardy question. 🛎: Who is “brother in law.” 🇺🇸🤛 pic.twitter.com/nBEiI8VZmK
— Eric Trump (@EricTrump) March 28, 2018

And that caught Robert Dimitri's attention:

Hi! I’m the one who answered this correctly on the show. Yes, you & your family are famous enough to appear as clues on Jeopardy!. I expect your father will make more appearances in the future under the categories “Political Embarrassments” & “Self-Promoting, Lying Jackasses.”
— C. Robert Dimitri (@crobertdimitri) March 29, 2018
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

StevenH wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:27 pm I had no idea that it was a musical, but the year and songs did the trick. I just had to hope that the musical had the same title as the film.
i never saw the movie and was only vaguely aware of it. Had no idea it was ever made into a musical. If the movie had songs in it, was totally unaware of that. So, uh, no clue on FJ.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:39 pm
This game was a perfect example of why you shouldn't put too much stock in the FJ! category. While it was ostensibly about musical theater, this was really a clue about pop music and movies.
Which is why I totally whiffed....
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

IIRC Alex opened this game by hoping all three players would perform as strongly as the three did the previous night. Not to be. Man was there a lot of standing-and-staring going on.

I got LT on Chapparal, Jacob Javits, terra cotta, apartheid, sphinx, Last Temptation of Christ, The Robe, and blasting cap. That was good for $8,800 and the lead going into FJ. This just almost never happens. I see other boardies picked up a lot of other LT. Any idea how many TSs there were in this game?

And oh, yeah, uh that $0 FJ wager? Really, Joey? You don't wanna win, why show up?