Monday, January 2, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Monday, January 2, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

messyjesse wrote:I actually added that little factoid to Cabaret's trivia page on IMDb several years back. :) (I also added the piece of trivia about the last PG-rated movie to win Best Picture on that particular movie's trivia page; anyone know what it is?)
Phooey, I was off by six years.
Spoiler
My guess, Terms of Endearment...last Best Picture to get PG *before* the PG-13 rating's creation. Out of Africa and Driving Miss Daisy still followed. Check it out, double spoiler guard! (Highlight to read.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Volante wrote:Defiantly would have helped me out....
So the clue should've been read more "in yer face!!~ ish?" :)
Volante

Post by Volante »

Paucle wrote:
Volante wrote:Defiantly would have helped me out....
So the clue should've been read more "in yer face!!~ ish?" :)
Meh, in all reality, even with that I probably still would not have gotten it...and I would have felt worse not getting it :lol:

Think I'm going to have to move Cabaret up in my queue...It seems to pop up regularly enough that I should be more acquainted with it than I am.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
BigDaddyJ
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BigDaddyJ »

dmleach wrote:I have to say, tonight's Final Jeopardy was brought to you by the good folks at sporcle.com.
dhkendall wrote:I second the awesome help Sporcle can be - I know before this month's test I'll be Sporcling my ass off for a while ...
Just curious if you Sporclers have any recommendations on how to choose which quizzes to play. Do you just wander through them at random, or is there a method to it?
Volante

Post by Volante »

BigDaddyJ wrote:
dmleach wrote:I have to say, tonight's Final Jeopardy was brought to you by the good folks at sporcle.com.
dhkendall wrote:I second the awesome help Sporcle can be - I know before this month's test I'll be Sporcling my ass off for a while ...
Just curious if you Sporclers have any recommendations on how to choose which quizzes to play. Do you just wander through them at random, or is there a method to it?
When I'm done with the new stuff, I tend to do whatever Sporcle challenges me with unless I have a particular inkling to do something. By the way, there is no shame in skipping the esoteric ones like "Scruffy's quotes from Futurama" :lol:
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'm surprised no one has brought up that this makes two consecutive FJ's where the clue was based on a negative. You had to know that the rock icon didn't have a number one, and then you had to know that Cabaret didn't win the Best Picture Oscar. Those are the types of clues I don't particularly care for (and, not surprisingly, missed both). Maybe I just find it more difficult to know what something wasn't known for than what it is known for. So a big raspberry to the writers, and I'll take my penalty points for criticizing them. Personally, I got caught eating at the Diner and couldn't get out of there no matter how hard I tried and how wrong I knew it was.

I wasn't going to miss the ESPN question; Chris Berman was a friend in college. I was the hot-shot FM DJ, and he was the lame-o AM sports guy. He seems to have done OK nonetheless.

Congratulations again, Dave. Keep up the big momentum! It's been more than two weeks of nice guy champions on there.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

BigDaddyJ wrote:
Either "random" or, since I know my J! holes (sports, Americana, art, etc.) do a few quizzes in those categories to help.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx »

fowlerism wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:I searched for a picture that won the biggie but little else and thought Rocky and 1976 could be a good place. Finding a movie about an establishment in that year got me nowhere.
Alas, I was able to convince myself that a network is an establishment.
At least I'm not the only one. I'm pretty good with winners now; nominees still give me trouble. At least I was only off by 4 years, and 4 awards :(
bpmod wrote:
messyjesse wrote:I was torn, believe me. I love Jeopardy! but my team was playing. :)
Yeah, but that's why DVR's were invented.

Watch the game 'live', and then turn your (undivided) attention to Jeopardy!

Brian
Glad to see you've got your priorities in order :mrgreen:
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Oh, and if anyone wants to feel good about their answer for this one, after dismissing "The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas" as "cute, nice try, but no", the best I was able to come up with was "Slaughterhouse 5", not even 100% sure if it was ever a movie ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Volante

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote:Oh, and if anyone wants to feel good about their answer for this one, after dismissing "The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas" as "cute, nice try, but no", the best I was able to come up with was "Slaughterhouse 5", not even 100% sure if it was ever a movie ...
Take heart: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069280/
Not exactly an awards magnet though...
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

dhkendall wrote:...the best I was able to come up with was "Slaughterhouse 5", not even 100% sure if it was ever a movie ...
It's a pretty terrific film from 1972 -- some of the best transitions between scenes I've ever seen -- directed by George Roy Hill, who won a Best Director Oscar the next year for The Sting.

Still, that's a better guess than what I wrote down, which was

Props to Dave for pulling out the win with the sole solve. Art's wager was worth a red flag, but it didn't matter.
In and out of the pool four times
dmleach
Damn Jeopardy! Hooligan

Post by dmleach »

BigDaddyJ wrote:Just curious if you Sporclers have any recommendations on how to choose which quizzes to play. Do you just wander through them at random, or is there a method to it?
I'm not a regular there, but I was specifically using it on the flight to L.A. to brush up on things I didn't know terribly well. Cabaret came up multiple times because I was concentrating on musicals.