Monday, April 2, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, April 2, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7731, 2018-04-02

CONTESTANTS
Daniel Carden, a newspaper reporter from Indianapolis, Indiana
Elizabeth Johnson, a communications & marketing manager from Lansing, Michigan
Emily Milan, a nanny from Birmingham, Michigan (whose 3-day cash winnings total $45,001)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome. Well, we didn't have to deal with April Fool's Day on our program this year, and that's a good thing. A program note for all of you--one week from today, we will b changing gears as we begin our annual College Championship. It occurs to me that Emily, our current champion, looks young enough to be able to compete in that event. But she's doing quite nicely, thank you very much, in these regular games. Today she faces Elizabeth and Daniel. And we go to work right now in the Jeopardy! Round. Here are the categories for the three of you...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ON A NORDIC TRACK (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WORDS & THEIR MEANINGS (5/5)
THREE FOR THE MONEY (4/5)
PLANETARY FACTS (5/5)
RICH EXPERIENCES (5/5)
REESE WITHERSPOON MOVIES (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Emily: 13 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Elizabeth: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Daniel: 7 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Emily: $3,200
Daniel: $2,000
Elizabeth: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Daniel Carden is a newspaper reporter from Indiana who wrote a number of articles about the governor of Indiana, Mike Pence at that time. But one of your most popular articles, noteworthy, had nothing to do with the governor himself but...

Daniel: Well, the new governor has a seven-year-old miniature schnauzer named Henry Holcomb. First Dog of Indiana. He's very popular, extremely popular on social media. I thought it would be neat to write a feature on the person who does his social media. Governor's office insists that the dog himself does his social media.

Alex: Elizabeth Johnson is from Lansing, Michigan. In high school, you were a domestic exchange student. I don't know what that is.

Elizabeth: Well, most people are familiar with foreign exchange students. You go to another country for a year. Well, the American Field Service, which our school participated with, had a domestic program where you would go to another state for a semester. So I went from suburban Washington, D.C. to rural southern Minnesota during the winter of my sophomore year.

Alex: Great time, eh?

Elizabeth: Oh, yes.

Alex: For sure.

Alex: Emily Milan is our champion. She is a nanny and collects jewelry and decorations with a specific theme.

Emily: Elephants. Shaped like elephants or decorated with elephants, yeah.

Alex: All right. Now, do most of the elephants have the raised trunk in your collection?

Emily: Most of the time, yes. Yeah.

Alex: That's usually an indication of something good, isn't it?

Emily: Yes.

Alex: Okay. Nice to know.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Daniel found the Daily Double on the 30th clue. Emily had $5,400, Elizabeth had $3,800, and Daniel was at $4,600. Daniel wagered $1,200.

ON A NORDIC TRACK $1000: What happened to hostages in a Swedish bank robbery gone wrong led to this alliterative psych term

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THREE FOR THE MONEY $400: A successful touchdown of an aircraft on its 2 main wheels & the tail wheel simultaneously

ON A NORDIC TRACK $400: The Evangelical branch of this -ism was Sweden's official religion from the 1500s to 2000

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Daniel: $5,800
Emily: $5,400
Elizabeth: $3,800
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, April 2, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MacARTHUR GENIUS WRITERS (2/5)
NEVER FORGET AN ELEPHANT (2/3)
CELEBRITY INVENTIONS (5/5)
OUR HISTORICAL NEWS CORRESPONDENT (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BALLET RUSES (4/5)
SO "SOO" ME (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Emily: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Elizabeth: 7 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Daniel: 6 R (including 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Daniel snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Emily had $5,400, Elizabeth had $5,000, and Daniel was at $7,000. Daniel wagered $3,000.

SO "SOO" ME $1600: Nickname for residents of Norman, Enid & Edmond
(Alex: 'Cause they're places in Oklahoma, the Sooner State.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Elizabeth who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 10th clue. Emily had $8,600, Elizabeth had $5,400, and Daniel was at $11,200. Elizabeth made it a True Daily Double, wagering $5,400.

OUR HISTORICAL NEWS CORRESPONDENT $800: Cairo is in mourning, Oct. 6, 1981, with the news of this man's assassination earlier today

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
OUR HISTORICAL NEWS CORRESPONDENT $2000: It's all over here at this battle site in 1746, with the English needing barely 40 minutes to defeat the outnumbered Scots

BALLET RUSES $2000: In "Swan Lake", evil Rothbart complicates this hero's life, making the choice between Odette & Odile a dicey one

MacARTHUR GENIUS WRITERS $1200: This "Amazing" skeptic fellow seeks to debunk the paranormal, but also worked as a magician

MacARTHUR GENIUS WRITERS $1600: This author who won in 2002 went on to write the bestselling novel "The Underground Railroad"
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

MacARTHUR GENIUS WRITERS $2000: In 1995 this Chicago author won for "The House on Mango Street" and other works

NEVER FORGET AN ELEPHANT $1200: In 2015 Malawi's Nyasa Times ran its own version of "man Bites Dog" with "Elephant Kills Suspected" this criminal

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Emily: $16,200
Elizabeth: $15,200
Daniel: $12,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. GOVERNMENT

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Emily: Wager $14,201 to cover Elizabeth.
Elizabeth: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Daniel, hoping that you give the correct response and Emily doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $10,401 to cover Daniel's doubled score, but no more than $13,200 if you want to top Emily on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $2,399 and win if both Emily and Daniel miss Final.
Daniel: You ought to try wagering between $2,401 and $8,000. This will top a $0 wager by Elizabeth while still beating Emily and Elizabeth on the Triple Stumper (should Emily wager to cover Elizabeth's doubled score and Elizabeth wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The portrait here hangs in the building of this Cabinet department & depicts a man who once ran it

FINAL SCORES
Daniel: $12,800 + $12,800 = $25,600 (What is the Dept. of Justice?) (New champion: $25,600)
Elizabeth: $15,200 - $10,500 = $4,700 (What is ?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Emily: $16,200 - $14,201 = $1,999 (What is the State dept?) (3rd place: $1,000)
(Alex: That's a lovely portrait of Bobby Kennedy.)
(Alex: [To Daniel] Robert Kennedy was once our Attorney General.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Emily: $16,200, 22 R, 2 W
Daniel: $11,200, 13 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Elizabeth: $10,600, 15 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Combined Coryat: $38,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Emily: 22/58 = .379
Elizabeth: 15/59 = .254
Daniel: 14/60 = .233
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
REESE WITHERSPOON MOVIES $200: Singer June Carter
(Daniel: [Sighs] What...)

REESE WITHERSPOON MOVIES $1000: New York fashion designer Melanie Smooter, actually a Southern girl
[Applause for Emily running the category]

WORDS & THEIR MEANINGS $600: Soon after "dwarf" in the dictionary comes this "DW" word meaning to shrink in size
(Emily: What is dwarve?)

PLANETARY FACTS $800: Partly due to its having the most elliptical orbit, it varies from -300 to 845 degrees at the surface
(Elizabeth: What is Neptune?)
(Emily: What is Uranus?)

THREE FOR THE MONEY $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew demonstrates a game.) The goal of this gambling game, whose name is partly in Spanish, is to find the one identified card after they've all been moved around

RICH EXPERIENCES $800: Florida's St. Regis Resort is offering the world's priciest this French cookie at $10,000--it does come with a crystal box

RICH EXPERIENCES $1000: For $250,000, join the 700-odd folks with deposits to one day go to space on this brand name "Galactic"
(Alex: With less than a minute now.)

OUR HISTORICAL NEWS CORRESPONDENT $1200: It's April 1865, and the nation turns to this new leader, spared by the failed nerve of Booth accomplice George Atzerodt

CELEBRITY INVENTIONS $400: This actor loved to drum & developed a new way to tighten the skins

CELEBRITY INVENTIONS $1600: Bill Nye--yes, that science guy--patented a new type of this anatomical-named footwear for dancers
(Daniel: What are ballet shoes?)

NEVER FORGET AN ELEPHANT $2000: These events often feature souvenir elephants; the one held in June 1948 had a live one
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Stockholm syndrome
a three-point landing
Lutheranism
Sooners
Sadat
Culloden
Siegfried
James Randi
Colson Whitehead
Sandra Cisneros
poacher
the Department of Justice
Walk the Line
Sweet Home Alabama
dwindle
Mercury
three-card Monte
a macaron
Virgin
Andrew Johnson
(Marlon) Brando
toe shoes
the Republican national convention
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. GOVERNMENT

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The portrait here hangs in the building of this cabinet department & depicts a man who once ran it
Spoiler
Emily Milan: 16200-14201=1999
Elizabeth Johnson: 15200-10500=4700
Daniel Carden: 12800+12800=25600 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Department of Justice (Emily – State Dept) (Elizabeth – What is ?)

Daily Doubles
Daniel: 4600+1200
Daniel: 7000+3000
Elizabeth: 5400+5400

Coryats
Emily: 16200
Elizabeth: 10600
Daniel: 11200

Combined: 38,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Emily: 5400
Elizabeth: 3800
Daniel: 5800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Emily opened well (ran REESE WITHERSPOON MOVIES) and closed well $1600 & $2000 clues in NEVER FORGET AN ELEPHANT to have the lead for the FJ! round. The DJ! round conveniently ended after clue 28 when Emily took the lead for the first time in the round with no chance for Elizabeth to sweep the last two clues and regain the lead.

It did not matter as Daniel had the sole solve of the FJ! clue. Why did the clue go 1/3? Did E & E not recognize the guy in the portrait? Did they know who it was and not his department? Why did Elizabeth not pick a department? Any department. That’s okay, Elizabeth got her moment by going along well with the sooey clue.

For those who looked at the Clue of the Day, that was DD3.

As Alex reminded in his opening, the College Championship starts next Monday.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

I'll be curious to find out. Did the players who failed to correctly respond to Final not recognize the person depicted in the portrait or did they not know which Cabinet department he once ran? --Bob
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

I had no idea who it was, and while I knew somewhere in the back of my mind that he was Attorney General, I said State as soon as Alex said who he was. (No idea if I'd have dredged it up on my own if I recognized him in the picture.) I had guessed Treasury to have something.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

I didn't recognize him, but he looked youngish, modern, and charismatic, so I guessed he was Robert Kennedy, and got it right with the Justice Department (after having to correct myself because US Atty General is not a cabinet). But I didn't recognize the picture.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran Word, Three, and "Soo".

Yet another brain lock on "Which planet has rings". There's only eight planets, but I derp them up all the time and can't seem to get any better.

Any reason I should know that was Marlon Brando in the top box? I saw no TOM in the text of the clue.

This was a horrible FJ! clue. Who's to say anyone can even instantly recognize that as any of the 629,000 Kennedys?

Lach Trash: 3-point landing, Lutheranism
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:28 pm Why did the clue go 1/3? Did E & E not recognize the guy in the portrait? Did they know who it was and not his department? Why did Elizabeth not pick a department? Any department.
I don't understand it either. I took one glance at the (rather remarkable) portrait and blurted out "that's Bobby Kennedy!", instagot Justice Dept., and penciled Emily in for the 4-peat. Oh well. I honestly thought she'd stick around for a bit.
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:28 pm That’s okay, Elizabeth got her moment by going along well with the sooey clue.
I was not impressed. That was a once in a lifetime opportunity, show some enthusiasm! Or at least do better than my pitiful effort at home. Or maybe I put too much effort into it and wish someone else was as willing to make a fool of themselves...

...unless my neighborrs are also J! fans, they must think I'm crazy.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don't Think Twice
Contributor

Post by Don't Think Twice »

Maybe age was a factor in getting FJ today. I'm old enough to remember when the Kennedys were in office. Even so, there has been so much written over the years about Bobby Kennedy as AG: Acting as a chief advisor to his brother during the Cuban Missile Crisis, Hoffa, dealing with the Mafia, his battles with J.E. Hoover, and how much he and LBJ despised each other.
Any reason I should know that was Marlon Brando in the top box?
Maybe because the photo looked just like him? :)
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I kept thinking, "That looks like JFK but I don't think he ever led any Cabinet departments, right?" I couldn't make the obvious leap.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Don't Think Twice wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:43 pm
I dunno, just like any other actor I don't see anything even remotely distinct about him.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I liked this board but it struck me as a little on the easy side, particularly the three DDs. There were some tough bottom of the board clues though, with Siegfried, Gallagher, and Culloden. 1746 + battle used to be a Pavlov to me for Culloden, but I had apparently forgotten; I guessed Bannockburn.

I surprised myself by going 4/5 in the Reese Witherspoon category; I only missed the $800. I was disappointed that there was no clue on Fear, though.

I thought that that was JFK in the picture, which didn't help me at all. I guessed the Department of Defense. We'll have to wait and see what others say, but I'm inclined to believe that the older boardies had an advantage on this FJ clue.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:28 pm This was a horrible FJ! clue. Who's to say anyone can even instantly recognize that as any of the 629,000 Kennedys?
You recognized it as a Kennedy, and I'm reasonably sure that Robert was the only one to hold a non-Presidential cabinet post...
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

This was sort of the comeuppance after last Friday's game due to the champ's unprecedented bet. Her luck was soon gonna run out and got her in a corner. Despite not getting a DD in the round and still lead really looked a bit grim for the challengers, and it put some fear for sure with the DJ! clue.

Trust me, this kind of clue where you have a choice to pick from is always hard unless if you know or have seen something like this before.

At first, I thought this game looked like something similar to the March Madness battle; Two from Michigan, and one from Indiana (However, today's March Madness game being Villanova and Michigan). Witnessing this perhaps would reprimand whether or not Villanova (PA) will do the same to Michigan, but in a basketball game.
Last edited by MTGcollegestudent on Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:24 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:28 pm This was a horrible FJ! clue. Who's to say anyone can even instantly recognize that as any of the 629,000 Kennedys?
You recognized it as a Kennedy, and I'm reasonably sure that Robert was the only one to hold a non-Presidential cabinet post...
I actually didn't recognize it as a Kennedy. I didn't recognize it as anyone. I'm just saying that I don't know how those who DID get as far as Kennedy knew to pick RFK above the others.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Don't Think Twice wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:43 pm Maybe age was a factor in getting FJ today. I'm old enough to remember when the Kennedys were in office. Even so, there has been so much written over the years about Bobby Kennedy as AG: Acting as a chief advisor to his brother during the Cuban Missile Crisis, Hoffa, dealing with the Mafia, his battles with J.E. Hoover, and how much he and LBJ despised each other.
don't think age was a factor...the old lady didn't even muster up a response...and the champion, who got marlon brando right (had no idea that was him in that picture), punted the clue...if she could come up with marlon brando for the picture in that given clue, age surely didn't play a factor for her
Howard
Contributor

Post by Howard »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:28 pm Ran Word, Three, and "Soo".

Yet another brain lock on "Which planet has rings". There's only eight planets, but I derp them up all the time and can't seem to get any better.

Any reason I should know that was Marlon Brando in the top box? I saw no TOM in the text of the clue.

This was a horrible FJ! clue. Who's to say anyone can even instantly recognize that as any of the 629,000 Kennedys?

Lach Trash: 3-point landing, Lutheranism

I doubt I'll receive an answer to this question, but do you have trouble recognizing faces in your day to day life? Because thats the only explanation I can come up with for someone getting that Marlon Brando question wrong yet still being aware of who he is.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

The prime of the Kennedy dynasty was a little before my time, but the portrait looked vaguely Kennedy-esque and I figured it would have to be Robert instead of John. Unfortunately I couldn't come up with his role in the government. Had a major "of course" moment on the reveal so the knowledge was there somewhere, just tucked away a little too deep.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

heppm01 wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:46 pm The prime of the Kennedy dynasty was a little before my time, but the portrait looked vaguely Kennedy-esque and I figured it would have to be Robert instead of John. Unfortunately I couldn't come up with his role in the government. Had a major "of course" moment on the reveal so the knowledge was there somewhere, just tucked away a little too deep.
thought the same...was before my time as well