Monday, April 2, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, April 2, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by CasketRomance »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:03 pm
heppm01 wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:46 pm The prime of the Kennedy dynasty was a little before my time, but the portrait looked vaguely Kennedy-esque and I figured it would have to be Robert instead of John. Unfortunately I couldn't come up with his role in the government. Had a major "of course" moment on the reveal so the knowledge was there somewhere, just tucked away a little too deep.
thought the same...was before my time as well
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Howard wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:46 pm

I doubt I'll receive an answer to this question, but do you have trouble recognizing faces in your day to day life? Because thats the only explanation I can come up with for someone getting that Marlon Brando question wrong yet still being aware of who he is.
Not the target of your question, but I do :oops:
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Geez, I could hardly recognize that portrait of (perhaps) the most famous Attorney General in U.S. history.

Daniel had the only sub-par wager in FJ but ended up getting a singleton for the win. Not having the same hootspah on his DDs cost him about $7,000.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

Bob78164 wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:35 pm I'll be curious to find out. Did the players who failed to correctly respond to Final not recognize the person depicted in the portrait or did they not know which Cabinet department he once ran? --Bob
On Reddit, Emily commented that she recognized RFK, just couldn't come up with what cabinet role he held...
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
bbird
Valued Contributor

Post by bbird »

Howard wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:46 pm I doubt I'll receive an answer to this question, but do you have trouble recognizing faces in your day to day life? Because thats the only explanation I can come up with for someone getting that Marlon Brando question wrong yet still being aware of who he is.
I'm not TPH, but I'm far less familiar with young Brando. I'm much more familiar with Godfather/Dr. Moreau/John-Goodman-on-SNL-Celebrity-Jeopardy! Brando. Young Brando doesn't even look like the same person.

That FJ on the other hand, I recognized as a Kennedy even from the tiny preview thumbnail as I was fast-forwarding my DVR.
Howard
Contributor

Post by Howard »

bbird wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:00 pm
Howard wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:46 pm I doubt I'll receive an answer to this question, but do you have trouble recognizing faces in your day to day life? Because thats the only explanation I can come up with for someone getting that Marlon Brando question wrong yet still being aware of who he is.
I'm not TPH, but I'm far less familiar with young Brando. I'm much more familiar with Godfather/Dr. Moreau/John-Goodman-on-SNL-Celebrity-Jeopardy! Brando. Young Brando doesn't even look like the same person.

That FJ on the other hand, I recognized as a Kennedy even from the tiny preview thumbnail as I was fast-forwarding my DVR.
I would agree with that assessment if it weren't for the fact that TPH has made this same complaint with regards to the picture related categories countless times, and it always goes something like this.

"How was I supposed to know that was Arnold Schwarzenegger with just a picture and no TOM; it could have been anyone of 77,496 action stars from the 80s"
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

tiwonge wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:22 pm I didn't recognize him, but he looked youngish, modern, and charismatic, so I guessed he was Robert Kennedy, and got it right with the Justice Department (after having to correct myself because US Atty General is not a cabinet). But I didn't recognize the picture.
I recognized it was Kennedy, but I couldn't recall the name of the Department and said "Attorney General's Office."
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Howard wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:46 pm I doubt I'll receive an answer to this question, but do youhave trouble recognizing faces in your day to day life? Because thats the only explanation I can come up with for someone getting that Marlon Brando question wrong yet still being aware of who he is.
I do seem to have trouble recognizing faces. But actors and actresses in particular seem to be an achilles heel of mine. I literally can't see a single thing that makes him look any different from Humphrey Bogart, James Stewart, or any other of his contemporaries.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

First time Emily had a sole lead going into FJ...and it ends up being her last game.

I was rooting for Elizabeth, as she had an optimal DD bet and an optimal FJ bet, as opposed to the poor DD betting by the new champion.

I will admit it; I missed FJ and had no clue who the portrait was of. Amusingly, my mother, who gets about 10 clues correct per show, got it instantly and easily.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:48 pm I kept thinking, "That looks like JFK but I don't think he ever led any Cabinet departments, right?" I couldn't make the obvious leap.
That's where I started, but after about 10 seconds, I realized my mistake.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Interestingly (for me), as someone (a) born after JFK's assassination and aged 4 at the time of RFK's; (b) lived on the other side of the Atlantic for most of my life and so learned very little US history; and (c) now live in Canada, not the US - instaget FJ, with identification of the subject leading to instant naming of the Cabinet department. My only hesitation about recognising Bobby Kennedy is that the portrait showed him as blonder than I thought he was.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:48 pm I kept thinking, "That looks like JFK but I don't think he ever led any Cabinet departments, right?" I couldn't make the obvious leap.
FWIW both mrs. dhkendall and I thought it was JFK (and I couldn't think of what cabinet department JFK led, WAGged "Peace Corps at second 28 knowing full well that's not a cabinet department) (FTR, mrs. dhkendall thought it was just asking for the person).

Also, if we're doing data collection, neither mrs. dhkendall nor I, to the best of my knowledge, have an especially hard problem with faces like Ironhorse (unless I missed something, the only one so far who thought JFK) does.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Bye, Emily. You have an understated je ne sais quois charm. It was cool to see you mow down the Reese Witherspoon, take on the Opera category that nobody wanted, and wisely jump (puns intended) to the final $2K elephant clue that gave you the catbird seat.

This idiot baby boomer spent more time thinking the portrait was way too flattering for Bobby then figuring out the Cabinet Dept. I picked the most important one, State and didn't use the other info in my brain. Attorney General just doesn't register to me as a Cabinet position like it should. I even thought John Foster Dulles was the SecState with the failed Bay of Pigs fiasco (he was Ike's SS). And that the conspiracy wackos (or was it a movie?) believe the Mafia whacked JFK to get RFK off their backs (You cut off the head of the snake and the tail dies).

I expected to be in the dunce corner, but there are several boardies here to keep me company it seems. Once again the writers have parsed a great clue!

Good luck, Daniel. Let's see some alpha betting on DD's now that you are over the first game jitters. I was impressed on your Mercury and Neptune gets. I was afraid Neptune would be negbait for Pluto and we'd have to have THAT damn conversation again!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

36 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: Three Point Landing, Lutheranism, Culloden, Sigfreid

Ran Nordic Track and Historic News

Other of my gets include Threepenny Opera.
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:28 pm The DJ! round conveniently ended after clue 28 when Emily took the lead for the first time in the round with no chance for Elizabeth to sweep the last two clues and regain the lead.
Emily took the lead for the first time in DJ on the Bill Nye toe shoes clue.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Undoubtedly having been a PhD student in political science helped Daniel get the sole solve in u.s. government from 3rd place.

For the Reese Witherspoon movie I said "I Walk the Line." Judges?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:38 pm For the Reese Witherspoon movie I said "I Walk the Line." Judges?
Ooh, sorry, that's the song title.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:19 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:28 pm The DJ! round conveniently ended after clue 28 when Emily took the lead for the first time in the round with no chance for Elizabeth to sweep the last two clues and regain the lead.
Good catch as I missed the scoreboard shuffle on that rebounded clue.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:19 pm
Speaking of which, in January that fact helped me win HQ for the third time and get my winnings above $20 (back when that mattered). There were over 3,000 people going into the 11th question, and I thought that was too many and I should choose the most outlandish choice on the next question because we were due for some winnowing and I thought that was what I needed to do to survive it. The question: "The man famously known as the Science Guy holds a patent for which of these items?" The choices: pulse rate monitor, mechanical pencil, or ballet shoes. I followed through with my plan and was one of just over 500 people to make it to the last question. Tonight with the J! clue, I was able to take the "anatomically-named" cue and modify my response so as not to get burned the way Daniel did.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I'm only 33, but I got FJ. I was one of those "it looks like JFK, but he didn't hold a cabinet post so it's probably RFK" people.