Wednesday, January 4, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Tehshigelisok
Not J! Contestant Material

Re: Wednesday, January 4, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Tehshigelisok »

xxaaaxx wrote:I forgot to ask: is "mad as a wet hen" a common phrase? The rest of that category was a breeze, but that one had me staring at the screen.
The only place I've ever heard that term is in the song "You Ain't Much Fun" by Toby Keith.
Really, I'm TenPoundHammer. Same as always.

alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by alamble »

StevenH wrote: I have never heard of the book (or movie) or the author that were the subjects of the FJ clue, and Literature is one of my best categories. I did a search for the author and the work in Gyaankosh, which is an archive of sets of quiz bowl questions that I have used to study, and there was only one hit. The tournament where it came up was an all Literature tournament, so it was probably a tough clue. Is the movie more famous?
Not really (although it has apparently been translated to film twice) but a couple of his other screenplays would be: he won Oscars for Roman Holiday and The Brave One, both under pseudonyms during the blacklist.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote:I forgot to ask: is "mad as a wet hen" a common phrase? The rest of that category was a breeze, but that one had me staring at the screen.
I've heard of it and used it myself, but common? Not really.

Jaksiel
Valued Contributor

Post by Jaksiel »

I didn't get the FJ!, but I have heard of the book because the song "One" by Metallica (and its video) are based on it.

marpocky
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by marpocky »

I hope Emily (RJL) watched this game for the Young Frahnk-en-steen reference.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Having been yet another AQOTWF, Alex's comment about it being "way earlier" was off the mark -- the book was 1929 and the movie was 1930. The fact that Remarque was German may have made it a not very good response, but time-wise, it was right there.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

1930s NOVELS
AN AUDIO VERSION
OF THIS ANTI-WAR
NOVEL BY A ONCE
BLACKLISTED AUTHOR
HAS INTRODUCTIONS
FROM CINDY SHEEHAN
& RON KOVIC.
Spoiler
Alex: The Author was blacklisted by the House UnAmerican Activities Committee because he refused to testify against Communists, fellow Communists at that time.
All 3 had: What is All Quiet on the Western Front?
Nicholas: 5000 - 4000 = 1000
Jaldhar: 5600- 4400 = 1200
Dave: 19100- 1930 = 17170

Dalton Trumbo's novel was called Johnny Got His Gun, and it was made into a motion picture also.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

ok, is GWTW anti-war? Because that's all I had. I thought AQOTWF was too early. I couldn't remember if Margaret Mitchell was ever black-listed, but since anything is better than nothing, that's what I put. Of course I knew I was wrong before any reveal from Alex's choice of pronoun. I've heard of the book, but give me a a/b choices on the writer and I'd have a 50/50 chance of getting it correct. I'm thinking maybe less than 10% on the poll? Perhaps sub 5?

"Mad as a wet hen" is definitely an expression I've heard, though its commonality I'm less inclined to defend.

Nicely done, Mr "Leech"! (Was Alex truly confused, or ball busting on that answer?)

Tehshigelisok

Post by Tehshigelisok »

I don't get what was so funny about Leech. Explain?

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Tehshigelisok wrote:I don't get what was so funny about Leech. Explain?
You are kidding this time, right?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

Tehshigelisok

Post by Tehshigelisok »

bpmod wrote:
Tehshigelisok wrote:I don't get what was so funny about Leech. Explain?
You are kidding this time, right?

Brian
Guess who never pays attention to the contestants' surnames?

Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

Yes, the wet hen thing, I've heard plenty.

Pretty easy boards today. FJ was straightforward. Dalton Trumbo is so often mentioned when black listing comes up that for me, it was just anti-war book + blacklist, and there ya go. I can see why people went for "AQotWF," though.

pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

In case any of you is considering reading Johnny Got His Gun, I read it in the 1960s. I have read quite a few books since, but I can't remember one that was as relentlessly nihilistic and depressing. Same with the movie. No matter how well-done something is, if its sole effect is to make me feel miserable, I say it's spinach and I say the hell with it.

Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Dave, nice job snapping out of the buzzer funk you seemed to be in during Tuesday's game.

Johnny Got His Gun was the most depressing and traumatic novel that 13-year-old me had ever read. It made an even deeper impression on me than The Jungle. But I had never heard there was a movie version of JGHG before tonight, and it actually made me a little curious as to how a movie could even be made of it. All flashback?

And count me as one who grew up with "mad as a wet hen."
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.

Leah
Occasional Phantom Presence

Post by Leah »

I thought the FJ was quite difficult-- TOC level, really-- because of the time limit. First you had to decide to focus on "blacklisted" rather than "anti-war" even though the larger number of hints focus on anti-war; then you had to realize that the blacklisted author was known primarily as a screenwriter rather than as a novelist (otherwise you spend too much time thinking about Howard Fast), and then you have to run through the Hollywood Ten and think about who wrote one-- time's been up for a while.

I don't think I could have done it.

Serendipity
Contributor

Post by Serendipity »

Finally eked out FJ with seconds to spare. Had to pull it out of the recesses of my brain. It was the "blacklisted" reference that got me there. Dalton Trumbo popped into my head and then "Johnny Get Your Gun" and then decided at the last second to go with "Johnny Got His Gun" - I was shocked that I got every word right!

I also thought of "bird of a different color." Had never heard the phrase "horse of a different color." Although this is by no means scientific or decisive, as a crude sniff test, the horse phrase brings up 110,000 results on Google, and the bird phrase brings up 964,000.

Kind of a disappointing game - Dave was in command the whole way and Nicholas was not much of a factor. The third guy was really engaging, I liked his interview. A bit stalkerish, knowing the date Alex Trebek shaved his mustache, but maybe he researched it for his appearance...

The thing I like about Dave is he's always present in the moment, always responsive to whatever's going on, and so he'll respond appropriately with a chuckle or a smile when something funny happens. He's not too locked down in the game to notice things like that. Plus, he seems to be having a hell of a good time!

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

marpocky wrote:I hope Emily (RJL) watched this game for the Young Frahnk-en-steen reference.
I was disappointed that was a triple stumper. I wanted one of the contestants to ring in and give the correct pronunciation.

Serendipity
Contributor

Post by Serendipity »

Oh, I know why I thought "Johnny Get Your Gun" before I switched to the correct answer - I was conflating the title with the musical "Annie Get Your Gun" - hee! I seem to recall Dalton Trumbo was turned in by Elia Kazan and basically couldn't work under his own name for decades.

I seem to recall seeing "Johnny Got His Gun" on TV once - maybe on PBS? IIRC it's about a WWI soldier who loses most of his limbs, and his eyesight, and is convalescing. There were a couple of brothers in the 70's who were sort of high-B list actors for a while, one of them played the soldier. Timothy Bottoms?

I'll check Wikipedia and see if my memory is correct... [brb]

mostly correct, though Kazan isn't directly named as the guy who fingered Trumbo.

cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Nothing came to mind immediately when I heard "1930s anti-war novel," so I had to work backwards to get to Johnny Got His Gun. Dalton Trumbo is perhaps the most famous of the Hollywood Ten, so I started there and worked my way back to his anti-war novel. It didn't hurt that Trumbo was in the news recently when the Writer's Guild of America announced in December that they would be restoring his credit as one of the writers on the 1953 film Roman Holiday—a credit that was taken from him when he was blacklisted.

Leah
Occasional Phantom Presence

Post by Leah »

Serendipity wrote:Oh, I know why I thought "Johnny Get Your Gun" before I switched to the correct answer - I was conflating the title with the musical "Annie Get Your Gun" - hee! I seem to recall Dalton Trumbo was turned in by Elia Kazan and basically couldn't work under his own name for decades.

I seem to recall seeing "Johnny Got His Gun" on TV once - maybe on PBS? IIRC it's about a WWI soldier who loses most of his limbs, and his eyesight, and is convalescing. There were a couple of brothers in the 70's who were sort of high-B list actors for a while, one of them played the soldier. Timothy Bottoms?

I'll check Wikipedia and see if my memory is correct... [brb]

mostly correct, though Kazan isn't directly named as the guy who fingered Trumbo.
Kazan had nothing to do with turning in Trumbo (or anyone else). He did participate in the HUAC hearings as a "friendly" witness, but confirmed names of people the committee had already, and had been publicly named by others, I believe, rather than giving them any fresh information.

His cooperation had complex and mixed motives, not all of them ignoble. An awful chapter in our country's and his personal history-- but I don't think he was so monstrous as to out people not already outed.