Friday, April 27, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, April 27, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7750, 2018-04-27

CONTESTANTS
Alexandra Henkoff, a college admissions counselor from Houston, Texas
Tom McGinnis, a fulfillment associate from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Carolyn Walsh, a software engineer from Brooklyn, New York (whose 1-day cash winnings total $10,600)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, all. Thank you, Johnny. A bit of advice for future Jeopardy! players: if you get to Final Jeopardy! and you don't feel all that confident in your knowledge of the category, why don't you do what Carolyn did on yesterday's program? Don't wager anything at all. Worked out for her. What will happen today, though, as she faces Alexandra and Tom? Let's start finding out. Here we go. Categories, please, starting off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LUTHER'S 95 THESES (4/4)
HOUSE PARTY (5/5)
MAGAZINES (3/5)
LET IT "RAIN" (5/5)
AMERICAN POETRY (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
EARNING BEYOND THE GRAVE (3/3)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Carolyn: 11 R, 1 W
Alexandra: 7 R, 0 W
Tom: 5 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Tom found the Daily Double on the 13th clue. Carolyn had $600, Tom had $2,200, and Alexandra was at $1,200. Tom wagered $1,000.

AMERICAN POETRY $600: Oliver Wendell Holmes wrote this poem as a call to help save the USS Constitution from demolition
(Tom: I don't have the clue.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Tom: $1,600
Alexandra: $1,200
Carolyn: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Alexandra Henkoff is from Texas. She's a college admissions counselor. On Jeopardy!, contestants usually perform better if they can relax. In your daily life, how do you relax? How do you destress?

Alexandra: I bake, among other things. I bake cheesecake.

Alex: Are we talking about a creamy-type cheesecake or a drier type?

Alexandra: More of a sort of New York style cheesecake. My favorite to do is, I do red, white and blue for the 4th of July with different berries.

Alex: After the show, I'll--

Alexandra: I'll bake you one.

Alex: I was gonna say, I'll give you my phone number, and you can invite me over.

Alexandra: Any time.

Alex: Love cheesecake.

Alex: Tom McGinnis, fulfillment associate from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. You enjoy cooking also, but you like doing it with your wife.

Tom: I do. My daughter gifted us with a subscription to a meal service. We get the ingredients in the mail and--I mean, my wife has always been a good cook, but I've never helped her until now.

Alex: And you get to do it together?

Tom: I take lots of pictures like we're on a cooking program.

Alex: Okay, great.

Alex: Carolyn Walsh, software engineer, is our champion. You're a cat person.

Carolyn: I am a cat person.

Alex: Tell me about your cat.

Carolyn: When we got our cat, he was better even than your average cat at finding very novel hiding places. We could never find him in the same place twice. So we started looking for a name that would really encompass his ability to disappear mysteriously.

Alex: Disappear.

Carolyn: And we named him after Fred Noonan, who was Amelia Earhart's navigator. She also--or he also disappeared, you know, with her into the ether, and he's a little more obscure.

Alex: Good for you.

Carolyn: Thank you.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MAGAZINES $600: His popularity began with stories he contributed to Strand magazine starting in 1891

MAGAZINES $1000: In the 1920s Amelia Earhart penned an aviation column for this "worldly" women's magazine begun in 1886
(Carolyn: What is Women's World Weekly?)

AMERICAN POETRY $1000: He wrote "Concord Hymn" for the dedication of a monument commemorating the 1775 battle

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Carolyn: $5,200
Alexandra: $3,200
Tom: $1,600
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, April 27, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LONGTIME RULERS (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PRONOUNS (4/5)
ROLE WITH THE PUNCHES (4/4)
LANDMARKS OF AFRICA (4/5)
THEATER SUPERSTITIONS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THE MATILDA EFFECT (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Tom: 9 R, 1 W
Alexandra: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Carolyn: 7 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Carolyn snagged the next Daily Double on the 11th clue. Carolyn had $8,000, Tom had $4,000, and Alexandra was at $2,800. Carolyn wagered $4,000.

THEATER SUPERSTITIONS $1600: Never carry one of these feathers on stage--the evil eye may curse the show
(Carolyn: What is... a raven's feather?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Carolyn who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 13th clue. Carolyn had $4,000, Tom had $4,000, and Alexandra was at $2,800. Carolyn made it a True Daily Double, wagering $4,000.

LONGTIME RULERS $1200: In the 11th century al-Mustansir ruled Egypt for 58 yeas as the 8th Fatimid one of these political Muslim leaders

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PRONOUNS $1600: From Latin for "separate", it means more than 2
(Alexandra: What is few?)
(Tom: What is other?)

THEATER SUPERSTITIONS $2000: For safety reasons & to ward off resentful spirits, don't turn off the light called this

LONGTIME RULERS $1600: During his 68-year reign that ended in 1916, he was king of Hungary, Croatia & Bohemia & emperor of Austria

LONGTIME RULERS $2000: Sobhuza II of this kingdom of southern Africa ruled for 82 years transitioning to independence from the U.K. in 1968

LANDMARKS OF AFRICA $2000: This successor organization to the Organization of African Unity has its headquarters in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Carolyn: $9,600
Tom: $9,200
Alexandra: $8,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LEGENDARY PEOPLE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Evenly spaced scores with two-thirds for first.
Carolyn: Wager $8,800--wagering any more risks falling behind Tom's wager of $8,400.
Tom: While wagering all $9,200 may be a rational possibility, your more optimal choice is to wager $8,400.
Alexandra: Wager $8,800.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Leodegrance, king of Cameliard, gave the newlyweds a piece of furniture on the marriage of this daughter

FINAL SCORES
Alexandra: $8,800 + $8,500 = $17,300 (Who is Guinevere) (New champion: $17,300)
Tom: $9,200 - $8,800 = $400 (Who is Sleeping Beauty) (3rd place: $1,000)
Carolyn: $9,600 - $8,801 = $799 (Who someone who has never been in my) (2nd place: $2,000)
(Alex: [To Alexandra] The piece of furniture was a big, big round table. You are right. King Arthur.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Carolyn: $10,800, 18 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Tom: $10,200, 14 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Alexandra: $8,800, 14 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $29,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Carolyn: 18/60 = .300
Alexandra: 15/58 = .259
Tom: 14/59 = .237
Team: 47/63 = .746

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
HOUSE PARTY $400: Hansel could tell you that building one of these houses requires more sugar than timber

LUTHER'S 95 THESES $600: 4:
This 3-letter type of act stays with you until you go to heaven
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

EARNING BEYOND THE GRAVE $600: This British singer & actor who left us too soon--2 days after his 69th birthday in 2016--was No. 11 with $9.5 million
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

LONGTIME RULERS $400: Moscow, how was your 51 years? Terrible, with this man as the city's Grand Prince from 1533 to 1584
(Tom: Who is Ivan?)
(Alex: Be more specific. Well, we'll give it to you. [*].)

THE MATILDA EFFECT $2000: Rosalind Franklin was the British woman who took the X-ray photos that allowed two dudes to find the structure of this

LANDMARKS OF AFRICA $400: This great structure in Touba, Senegal, has room for more than 7,000 worshippers
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

LANDMARKS OF AFRICA $1200: One of the highest on the continent, the Maletsunyane Falls tumble 630 feet in this nation surrounded by South Africa
(Carolyn: What is Lethoso? Lethutu? Lethoso?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
"Old Ironsides"
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Cosmopolitan
Ralph Waldo Emerson
a peacock feather
a caliph
several
the ghost light
Franz Joseph
Swaziland
the African Union
Guinevere
a gingerbread house
a sin
David Bowie
Ivan (the Terrible)
DNA
a mosque
Lesotho
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LEGENDARY PEOPLE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Leodegrance, King of Cameliard, gave the newlyweds a piece of furniture on the marriage of this daughter

Carolyn Walsh: 9600-8801=799
Tom McGinnis: 9200-8800=400
Alexandra Henkoff: 8800+8500=17300 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Guinevere (Carolyn - Who someone who has never been in my) (Tom – Sleeping Beauty)

Daily Doubles
Tom: 2200-1000
Carolyn: 8000-4000
Carolyn: 4000+4000

Coryats
Carolyn: 10800
Tom: 10200
Alexandra: 8800

Combined: 29,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Carolyn: 5200
Tom: 1600
Alexandra: 3200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

800 separated first from third going into the FJ! round. The sole solve negated both the DD factors and the DJ! round ending a clue shy of completion for making a difference who had the lead.

No instaget for me on the FJ! clue as I needed a few seconds and another look at the category to figure out where to go. The names rang a faint bell and then I had the nice aha moment to lock in the name.

I wish I had just done Cameliard looks like or sounds like Camelot.

Hope no one got to the right area and blanked on her name or picked someone like Lady of the Lake, Morgan le Fay, etc.

At least someone got it right on the show as 17300 is a better closing than a 799-400-300 victory.

If J! has rounded up a ringer for the regular play portion of May sweeps that began yesterday I don’t think Carolyn or now Alexandra are the ones. The Teachers Tournament May 7-18 will take up half of the period. 2013 was the last time that May did not have a future TOC player in regular play.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I misunderstood the meaning of legendary and got no further than Marie Antoinette.

What did Carolyn say on the Lesotho clue?

TPH...did you get the clue in theater about the feather?
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Well, my son was baffled by Carolyn's FJ response, so I just showed him the Clavin versus Trebek video clip. ("See? He's that Pixar guy--The Underminer!")

This week's contestant mix has been particularly fun to watch. They seem extra cheerful and have handled setbacks with aplomb. On today's Lesotho response, I clapped my hand over my mouth to stifle a series of agonized wails, and my son asked why I was getting so upset. "Because I'm emotionally invested now!"
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:20 pm What did Carolyn say on the Lesotho clue?
She said Lethoso, then Letoosoo.

No idea on FJ! for me. 4/5 isn't too bad.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I would have been 50/50 between Lesotho and eSwatini, er, Swaziland... except the latter had already been an answer.

The Rosalind Franklin DNA question was overvalued at $2000.

FJ: I was confused, but figured WECIB but Guinevere?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

That mosque clue got me. I thought they were looking for a specific building.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

econgator wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:29 pm That mosque clue got me. I thought they were looking for a specific building.
On stage, I would've clammed. At home, I shrugged and said "...a mosque??", and was ready to eat the neg if they BMSed it.
Ironhorse wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:27 pm I would have been 50/50 between Lesotho and eSwatini, er, Swaziland... except the latter had already been an answer.
Didn't the clue say "completely surrounded by South Africa"? Swaziland is surrounded, but it borders Mozambique.

I would've been super-pissed if Carolyn had stumbled into the correct pronunciation of Lesotho and been given credit for a correct response. Just how many wrong answers does someone have to give before you pull the trigger, Alex? Consistency, that's all I ask.

The names meant nothing, but I WAGged that the furniture was the Round Table, and that got me to Guinevere. I'll take it.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:38 pm The names meant ntohing, but I WAGged that the furniture was the Round Table, and that got me to Guinevere. I'll take it.
I know the name because Patrick Stewart played him in Excalibur.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:38 pm
Didn't the clue say "completely surrounded by South Africa"? Swaziland is surrounded, but it borders Mozambique.
It did, but I never can remember which one is completely surrounded and which one isn't.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran "Rain" and surprisingly, Matilda Effect.

Yes, I got the peacock feather clue.

Couldn't decode 95 Theses for $200 since I didn't get that the "he" was the key word.

Also couldn't filter through the five W's to figure out which one was alphbetically first. They all begin with WH so that locked up my brain.

Not a single bit of recognition in Roll with the Punches. There was a movie about Muhammad Ali?!

Also NHO "Great Mosque".

I saw no way to decode this FJ!, since the correct response is unfamiliar to me.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

The Swaziland and Lesotho clues that were both 50 50 90 guesses (at least for me) coming up in the DJ round were just bizarre. Actually, I would have guessed correctly on Swaziland if pressed, but I only knew to guess Lesotho on the other clue because Swaziland had already come up (like someone mentioned upthread).

Instant get FJ.

The new champ has quite the personality. If she can make the ToC then she is the type who I could see being invited back for super tournaments.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:46 pm I saw no way to decode this FJ!, since the correct response is unfamiliar to me.
You mean "still unfamiliar" ...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3407&p=205968&hilit ... re#p205968
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

econgator wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:42 pm
xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:38 pm The names meant ntohing, but I WAGged that the furniture was the Round Table, and that got me to Guinevere. I'll take it.
I know the name because Patrick Stewart played him in Excalibur.
Yep, I thought "Hey, pretty sure Leodegrance was the name of the guy that Patrick Stewart played in Excalibur." Not a bad movie.

For the 5 W's clue I would have been sorely tempted to respond with just "What?"
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Alexandra: “I’m Jewish”.

Me: “So was Jesus”.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 23,400
42 R/7 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Old Ironsides (DD), several, peacock feather (DD)

I was shocked that this FJ! wasn't a triple-get, but the early returns here look like the clue played harder than I thought it would.

I could not stop negging tonight, but 4/4 on the biggies is nice.

One of the clues mentioned Shel Silverstein's poetry for children. Having grown up in a household that owned his album Freakin' at the Freakers' Ball, I can attest some of his poetry is decidedly not for kids.
heppm01 wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:44 pm For the 5 W's clue I would have been sorely tempted to respond with just "What?"
I did precisely that.
Bamaman wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:55 pm Alexandra: “I’m Jewish”.

Me: “So was Jesus”.
Well played, sir.
Sprinkles are for winners.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:56 pm If J! has rounded up a ringer for the regular play portion of May sweeps that began yesterday I don’t think Carolyn or now Alexandra are the ones. The Teachers Tournament May 7-18 will take up half of the period. 2013 was the last time that May did not have a future TOC player in regular play.
Fascinating, that tidbit above! I have often wondered just what level of thought the producers put into the idea of "this week let's put in an especially strong player."

And similarly, I wonder what metrics they consider to pick a likely "ringer," and how do they weigh those various factors? (online score vs audition score vs level of education vs profession vs quiz bowl experience vs past game show appearances vs ... )

Of course this will always be among the most well-kept of production secrets, but it's fun to speculate.
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:27 pm I would have been 50/50 between Lesotho and eSwatini, er, Swaziland... except the latter had already been an answer.

The Rosalind Franklin DNA question was overvalued at $2000.

FJ: I was confused, but figured WECIB but Guinevere?
that whole category was jokingly easy...i ran that category...and if i run a category like that, then it tells you how fricking easy it was...i suck at anything science related