Tuesday, May 1, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, May 1, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 9:32 pm Can't say I've heard of "Cool Runnings", nor do I recognize anyone in it except John Candy. Any reason this is in the top box, when its only other 3 appearances were in bottom boxes? Poll request please.

Okay, 5 is V. 50 is um... D, C, M, P, Q, no... uh... Oh! 50 is L. LV! Louis Vuitton! I got it!
It's only Tuesday so I'll see how the week goes before promising to poll something that will go over 85%. It's a top box clue as the movie is that well known whether someone has seen it or not. The cast beyond John Candy has other people of varying degrees of fame, but it's not important for the clue.

It's a sports movie from 1993, so that means your knowledge of it is going to be next to zero with no ability to judge its proper valuing. Why worry about that particular clue? Were your mom and/or sister watching? Did they know it?

Great job solving the FJ! clue. That one will be below 85% and you know already you can check a box to the good this week. The clue has several dots to connect with different ways to go wrong. It's a nice get.
clprez

Post by clprez »

All of my knowledge of Roman numbers comes from the dates of films from the 20th century. (MCM at the beginning) and from superbowls. In particular, for Superbowl 50, rather than using L, they decided for that year only they would use 50, and then go back to LI for Superbowl 51, so it stuck in my head.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 9:49 pmIt's only Tuesday so I'll see how the week goes before promising to poll something that will go over 85%. It's a top box clue as the movie is that well known whether someone has seen it or not. The cast beyond John Candy has other people of varying degrees of fame, but it's not important for the clue.

It's a sports movie from 1993, so that means your knowledge of it is going to be next to zero with no ability to judge its proper valuing. Why worry about that particular clue? Were your mom and/or sister watching? Did they know it?
It stuck out to me as unnaturally obscure for the top box. Other than Candy, none of the actors in it seems to have done anything big. The director doesn't seem to have done anything big except the National Treasure movies. The producers are even more obscure, to the point that one of them doesn't even have a Wikipedia article. I've never heard anyone clamor for it in throes of 90s nostalgia. Also, as I said, its only other Archive hits were much farther down the board.

Given that evidence, I felt it was incredibly obscure compared to the likes of Air Bud, The Sandlot, Mighty Ducks, Angels in the Outfield, Space Jam, Rookie of the Year, Rudy, Space Jam, A League of Their Own, White Men Can't Jump, Little Giants, Major League, BASEketball, Happy Gilmore, and that's just the 90s sports movies I can name off the top of my head without even consulting Google.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 10:03 pmGiven that evidence, I felt it was incredibly obscure compared to the likes of Air Bud, The Sandlot, Mighty Ducks, Angels in the Outfield, Space Jam, Rookie of the Year, Rudy, Space Jam, A League of Their Own, White Men Can't Jump, Little Giants, Major League, BASEketball, Happy Gilmore, and that's just the 90s sports movies I can name off the top of my head without even consulting Google.
If you can name all of those films and have never heard of Cool Runnings, that’s an inexplicable blind spot.

Now, Iron Will, that’s an obscure early-90s winter sports movie.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Wah? I knew next to nothing about fashion, but this was an instaget, as the Roman numerals are LV, thus Louis Vuitton. Shocked that it was a triple miss.

I don't understand the bets by either 1st or 3rd place, either.

I usually record part of Jeopardy and thus skip through the interviews, but didn't have that luxury today. The "I named my dog after Omar from The Wire but they have different personalities!" is one of the poorest I've ever heard. How did that get through the pre-show interviews?
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

IronNeck wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 10:30 pmI usually record part of Jeopardy and thus skip through the interviews, but didn't have that luxury today. The "I named my dog after Omar from The Wire but they have different personalities!" is one of the poorest I've ever heard. How did that get through the pre-show interviews?
Because the contestant coordinators and/or Alex and/or many viewers of the show like dogs and/or "The Wire."

Can't wait to hear all the sparkling, witty tales you knock our socks off with when you become a contestant.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

46 R
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Alexander the Great, Gullet, Void, Pony, Schooner

Ran Ancient Greeks, Double L, Science Friction, and American Land.

$800 Ancient Greeks, Philip II of Macedon died in 336 B. C. and the clue said 335 B. C. :ugeek:
Douglas Squasoni
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

trainman wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 10:59 pm
IronNeck wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 10:30 pmI usually record part of Jeopardy and thus skip through the interviews, but didn't have that luxury today. The "I named my dog after Omar from The Wire but they have different personalities!" is one of the poorest I've ever heard. How did that get through the pre-show interviews?
Because the contestant coordinators and/or Alex and/or many viewers of the show like dogs and/or "The Wire."
I like dogs. I like Omar from The Wire. I hated the story and was perplexed by its point.
trainman wrote: Can't wait to hear all the sparkling, witty tales you knock our socks off with when you become a contestant.
Not sure why you're taking it personally, but yeah, I will have better stories than that. So do 98+% of Jeopardy contestants, from what I've seen.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

IronNeck wrote: I don't understand the bets by either 1st or 3rd place, either.
After Osman made that wager in his first game to come up with a cutesy sum, the last thing I expected of him was an even thousand value that fell short of covering 2nd place. I might not have been surprised if he had wagered 8322, to bring his would be 2-day total to $55,555 on a win.

Could Jan's wager be a case of believing the old Trebekian saying: "First and Second have to guard against each other", so $2800 will be plenty to win on a triple stumper?
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

IronNeck wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 11:06 pm
trainman wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 10:59 pm
I like dogs. I like Omar from The Wire. I hated the story and was perplexed by its point.
trainman wrote: Can't wait to hear all the sparkling, witty tales you knock our socks off with when you become a contestant.
Not sure why you're taking it personally, but yeah, I will have better stories than that. So do 98+% of Jeopardy contestants, from what I've seen.
I mean, I was banking on "I named my dog Tesla" to be a story TPTB would like. Simple enough and relatable with a few jump-off secondary questions.

In this case it sounds like it led nicely into the next contestant too. And from what I can tell, the main point of the interview isn't to astonish you with amazing tales -- it's to help relax the contestants after an adrenaline-filled beginning by letting them actually talk to Alex for the first time, and make for a better game overall. "Tell me about your dog" is great for that.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

What a difference a “day “ makes. Yesterday, I said to my wife that Osman might be a really good player or he might have benefitted from especially weak competition. Tonight we saw the answer... maybe. For FJ, 55 in Roman numerals? LV, so Louis Vuitton. No doubt I was helped knowing the name from the LVMH conglomerate. Yes, I was surprised that it was a TS.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

absolutely inexplicable triple stumper on FJ. I'm far from being a fashion maven, but I know "LV" is plastered all over Louis Vuitton bags.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 4:13 pm DD1 had old letters vs. words rear its ugly head. I’LL BE THE JUDGE OF THAT: You actively impeded the investigation by giving the FBI false info! That’s this 3-word crime & a very, very big deal

Geoff missed with a 3-letter word. A while back there was a discussion (and perhaps a poll as well) about how common it is for that to happen in a weird processing error.
I was editing my TD for this weekend and noticed that I made the same error.

Louis Vuitton was so Instaget for me that I skipped my PVR ahead from the clue being read to the reveal.

Ironhorse mentioned above that he never heard of Versace. The first time I ever heard of him was when I was walking past a TV that showed the breaking news headline "Gianni Versace shot dead."
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

LV gave me a 50/50 between Vitton & Versace, not knowing their first names. Naturally I chose wrong. Of course I would've bet absolutely nothing with that category.
davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 11:30 pm absolutely inexplicable triple stumper on FJ. I'm far from being a fashion maven, but I know "LV" is plastered all over Louis Vuitton bags.
Maybe that's it exactly. When someone asks me about fashion, I don't think immediately of luggage...or watches. I think of clothes. Yes, "LV" should have triggered it, but the Vuitton name just didn't come to me. The only V in fashion I could think of was Valentino.
davey

Post by davey »

DBear wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 11:53 pm LV gave me a 50/50 between Vitton & Versace, not knowing their first names. Naturally I chose wrong. Of course I would've bet absolutely nothing with that category.
It would have been interesting to see if they'd accept "Vitton."
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Not the game I expected! Geoff took names and kicked ass until the break, then the other two were able to participate.

Not quite instaget as I floundered on initials LL for precious seconds due to inattention. I always have to do a mental doubletake to get L=50 (by confirming to myself that D=500), and after the hourglass cleared I forgot to process the V=5 part. I went straight to Louis Vitton anyway, only just lately remembering Gucci is the other legacy designer name in my vocabulary. Versace didn't enter the equation, and if it did I thought his name was Donatello and would have kept on trying. (Sister's name is Donatella, I think. And I only know that from the murder news story). I was very surprised at the lack of a triple get. But I kind of understand how they went astray based on postings here.

Unfortunate bet from third. Jan could have had a nice payday and a second game. Perhaps she had confidence in the category and wanted the extra cash. Geoff has the potential to run out the week I believe.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Just a comment on one of the contestants' stories. One of the contestants told about transiting YYZ and missing a connecting flight because of a chicken sandwich. He tried to spin that his way but...

Anyone who knows anything about crossing the border knows that one will get into trouble not so much for having a chicken sandwich but for checking the "no" box on the form that asks if one has any meat or other food product.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 39,400
49 R/1 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: extradition, obstruction of justice (DD), gullet, James Blaine

I thought "translated from Roman numerals" made this FJ! way too easy. I had it pre-marked on my sheet as a triple get. Color me shocked. I guess none of the contestants have ever bought any swap meet Louie.

I'm sure it was unintentional, but Geoff's move immediately from garnish (wages) to Take My Money made me chuckle.
Sprinkles are for winners.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 6:42 pm I have honestly never heard of Versace.
how old are you? dude was killed and his murder made headline news in 1997 about a month before princess diana died