Thursday, May 10, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, May 10, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7759, 2018-05-10

2018 Teachers Tournament quarterfinal game 4.

CONTESTANTS
Katherine Saxby, a high school English and French teacher from Alameda, California
Indi Ekanayake, an 8th grade science teacher from Seattle, Washington
Beth Binder, a 6th grade teacher from Fort Collins, Colorado

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. The prizes have not changed in our Teachers Tournament. $100,000 to the winner at the end of next week, a $50,000 minimum guarantee for second place, and $25,000 as a minimum guarantee for our third place finisher. And we do wanna thank Farmers Insurance for helping us out with the funding and also for the million dollars they award to worthy teachers each year. We have three worthy teachers with us today. I'll wish you good luck and put you to work right now in the Jeopardy! Round. And here are the categories you have to deal with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HOBBIES & PASTIMES (5/5)
GREAT AMERICAN NOVELS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SHALL WE "DANCE"? (5/5)
TITLES MADE METRIC (5/5)
ALL EYES (3/5)
ON YOU (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Katherine: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Beth: 8 R, 0 W
Indi: 8 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Beth: $3,200
Katherine: $2,400
Indi: $1,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Katherine Saxby is a high school English and French teacher at a school that offers educational adventures. What does that mean?

Katherine: Well, every year we take--like to take a week outside of the classroom where we explore some outdoor, some travel. This year, I'm doing a farm-to-table. We're visiting some farms; we're visiting some restaurants. We're visiting a bug farm for bug snacks, edible insects. So lots of fun stuff.

Alex: All right.

Alex: Indi Ekanayake, science teacher from Seattle. I've heard that your method of teaching has a specific connotation. What is it?

Indi: So I really like students to be at the front of the classroom. I really like students kind of taking charge of their own learning, so lots of projects, lots of independent work. And I like to just guide them from the side.

Alex: All right. Whatever works, and obviously it does for you.

Alex: Beth Binder is from Fort Collins, Colorado. Your students, I understand, are surprised about something in your past when you were at school.

Beth: Yes. They are always just filled with disbelief that I was one of only five students in my class. And I grew up in a small town, and we used to have to chase cows off of our playground. And my students--

Alex: What was it like in the 19th century?

Beth: Um...

Alex: Don't answer.

Beth: Thank you.

Alex: Don't answer.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Katherine found the Daily Double on the 16th clue. Beth had $3,200, Indi had $1,600, and Katherine was at $2,400. Katherine wagered $1,000.

GREAT AMERICAN NOVELS $800: This Dreiser novel lives up to its title: Clyde dies in the electric chair for murdering his pregnant girlfriend

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
GREAT AMERICAN NOVELS $1000: This Heinlein novel begins, "Once upon a time there was a Martian named Valentine Michael Smith"
(Katherine: What are The Martian Chronicles?)

ON YOU $200: Verruca is another word for this benign but contagious growth on the skin

ON YOU $400: You'll phind your philtrum just below this organ
(Indi: What is tongue?)

ALL EYES $800: Tiger eye quartz is formed by the alteration of crocidolite, this type of fire-resistant fibrous mineral

ALL EYES $1000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows a hurricane on the monitor.) When a tropical storm reaches hurricane strength, an eye appears in the storm's outer layer made of these wool-like clouds, from Latin for "curl"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Beth: $5,600
Katherine: $3,800
Indi: $3,400
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, May 10, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
AN APPELLATION FOR THE TEACHER (1/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
TV: WHO PLAYED 'EM? (4/5)
ASIAN GEOGRAPHY (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
RHETORICAL DEVICES (4/5)
QUOTES ABOUT MUSIC (4/5)
FAST COMPANY (2/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Katherine: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W
Indi: 8 R, 4 W (including 2 DDs)
Beth: 2 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 11
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $16,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Indi snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Beth had $5,600, Indi had $5,000, and Katherine was at $2,600. Indi wagered $2,500.

ASIAN GEOGRAPHY $2000: A large region of Turkey, also known as Asia Minor, is called this, from the Greek for "east"
(Alex: Indi?)
(Indi: What is...)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Indi who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 24th clue. Beth had $7,600, Indi had $2,900, and Katherine was at $3,000. Indi wagered $2,000.

AN APPELLATION FOR THE TEACHER $1200: A Yorkshireman, Alcuin was "schoolmistress to France" & taught this first Holy Roman Emperor
(Indi: Who is Augustus?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FAST COMPANY $1200: Kilian Jorent has set multiple speed records in this, AKA Alpinism
(Indi: What is skiing?)
(Katherine: What is rock climbing?)

FAST COMPANY $1600: Francois Garbart holds the record for doing this solo, just under 43 days--an average of 27.2 knots

FAST COMPANY $2000: (Jay Leno presents the clue.) Back around World War I when you wanted to go fast, you put a big aircraft engine in a lightweight car; my 1915 Hispano-Souza uses the same kind of aircraft V8 as the S.P.A.D. flown by this race-car driver & top-scoring U.S. ace of World War I

ASIAN GEOGRAPHY $800: Just east of the Caspian Sea is the city-sized Tengiz supergiant one of these, part of Kazakhstan & part of Chevron

ASIAN GEOGRAPHY $1600: The lawless border region where Laos, Myanmar & Thailand meet has this "shapely" 2-word nickname

QUOTES ABOUT MUSIC $2000: Pablo Casals compared this instrument to "a beautiful woman who has not grown older, but younger with time"
(Indi: What is the harp?)

RHETORICAL DEVICES $2000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents a photo of two boats.) The photo here showing two contrasting ideas is an example of this 13-letter rhetorical device, also used by Dickens when he wrote, "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times"
(Katherine: What is an antithesis?)

AN APPELLATION FOR THE TEACHER $400: Thomas Jackson, an artillery tactics instructor at VMI in the 1850s, later acquired this famous nickname

AN APPELLATION FOR THE TEACHER $800: Scottish prof Archie Roy, who researched haunted houses, got a movie-based alliterative tag--"the Glasgow" this
(Katherine: What is ghost hunter?)
(Beth: What is ghost?)

AN APPELLATION FOR THE TEACHER $2000: This 19th century educator became "the schoolmaster of the nation" for his "readers" that sold more than 100 million copies

TV: WHO PLAYED 'EM? $1600: Oz on "Breaking In" & "Mr. Robot"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Katherine: $7,000
Beth: $6,800
Indi: $2,500

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WOMEN WRITERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Katherine: Wager $6,601 to cover Beth. If you feel like using Shoretegy, try wagering $1,601.
Beth: Your score is within 4/5ths of Katherine's, so wager between $401 (venusian) and $1,799 (martian), beating Katherine's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores while still covering against a doubled score on Indi's part.
Indi: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by Beth, but if Beth decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $2,100.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
On her 2012 passing this Oscar nominee was described as "an essayist and humorist in the Dorothy Parker mold" (but funnier)

FINAL SCORES
Indi: $2,500 - $2,000 = $500 (Who is) (3rd place)
Beth: $6,800 - $4,000 = $2,800 (Who was Fannie Flagg?) (2nd place)
Katherine: $7,000 + $6,601 = $13,601 (Who is Nora Ephron) (Automatic semifinalist)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $19,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Indi: $7,000, 16 R, 6 W (including 2 DDs)
Beth: $6,800, 10 R, 2 W
Katherine: $6,800, 16 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Combined Coryat: $20,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Katherine: 17/59 = .288
Indi: 16/60 = .267
Beth: 10/58 = .172
Team: 43/63 = .683

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
GREAT AMERICAN NOVELS $600: Chief Bromden, a Native American who feigns muteness, is the narrator of this Ken Kesey novel
(Indi: What is... oh, sorry.)

ALL EYES $200: The eyes on ancient Greek drinking vessels are called apotropaic, meaning they're supposed to ward off this

ALL EYES $400: You could get an idea of how the world might look to a sturgeon with one of these wide-angle lenses

TV: WHO PLAYED 'EM? $800: Peggy Olson on "Mad Men" & Offred on "The Handmaid's Tale"
(Beth: Who is Elizabeth Olsen?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
An American Tragedy
Stranger in a Strange Land
a wart
nose
asbestos
cirrus clouds
Anatolia
Charlemagne
mountain climbing
sailing around the world
Eddie Rickenbacker
oil field
the Golden Triangle
the cello
juxtaposition
Stonewall Jackson
ghostbuster
William McGuffey
Christian Slater
Nora Ephron
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
evil spirits
a fisheye
Elisabeth Moss
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WOMEN WRITERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
On her 2012 passing this Oscar nominee was described as “an essayist and humorist in the Dorothy Parker mold” (but funnier)

Beth Binder: 6800-4000=2800
Indi Ekanayake: 2500-2000=500
Katherine Saxby: 7000+6601=13601 (Semi-Finalist)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Nora Ephron (Beth – Fannie Flagg) (Indi – Who is)

Daily Doubles
Katherine: 2400+1000
Indi: 5000-2500
Indi: 2900-2000

Coryats
Beth: 6800
Indi: 7000
Katherine: 6800

Combined: 20,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Beth: 5600
Indi: 3400
Katherine: 3800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex’s “black” voice on the Louis Armstrong clue was terrible. Just stop.

What happens in a 20,600 combined Coryat game? This $400 clue in the APPELATION category went TS: Thomas Jackson, an artillery tactics instructor at VMI in the 1850s, later acquired this famous nickname

The FJ! clue had me needing to dismiss a distractor putting Erma Bombeck over her septic tank. I knew it was a not her that other one. Plenty of time to write the correct name.

Beth’s incorrect guess will be news to the writer that she died in 2012 as she is only 73 and still around. If she watches hope she is not sipping a drink at the time of the FJ! clue responses. With a game to go Beth sits on WC4, so one more game like today’s and she could sneak into next week.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

Is it just me or have the FJs this tournament been extra tough?
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

Wpwells wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 2:01 pm Is it just me or have the FJs this tournament been extra tough?
Given a get rate of 3/12 so far, that's true empirically. So far I've only missed Monday's.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

acthomas wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 3:45 pm
Wpwells wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 2:01 pm Is it just me or have the FJs this tournament been extra tough?
Given a get rate of 3/12 so far, that's true empirically. So far I've only missed Monday's.
I missed Monday and today, but they've also seemed to have much less of a TOM.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I'm 0/4 so I'd say they've been tough. But last week the players went 5/15 (with three TS in the middle) and I got them all right.

But if 12 other random teachers had been up there they might have gone 12/12.

Nothing for me again today. I did consider Bombeck, but I knew she had died much longer ago than 2012. She died in 1996.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Definitely harder IMO. And I'm all for clues about movies/Hollywood/Oscars but it's getting a little ridiculous lately.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 34,400
48 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: wart, nose, asbestos, cirrus, circumnavigating the Earth, Anatolia (DD), juxtaposition, Stonewall, ghostbuster, Charlemagne (DD), Christian Slater

I wasn't sure Nora Ephron had been dead for six years, but the rest of the clue seemed to fit, so I went with it.

Fannie Flagg, upon learning of her death:

Indi's blunder on DD3 is yet another example of why contestants who hit DDs should Slow. The. Heck. Down.
Sprinkles are for winners.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I'm 1-for-4, so yeah.

I thought of Fannie Flagg, but I know she's still alive. The only other funny author I could even come up with was Erma Bombeck. Wouldn't have gotten the right response if you gave me a year.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I couldn't think of anything better than Erma Bombeck, and I was pretty sure she was long dead.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Glad I wasn't the only one surprised that Appelation for the Teacher was a train wreck of a category.
You could've spotted me Nora and given me all day for FJ and I wouldn't have got it. This is a TEACHERS' tournament, can we have some academic FJs please?
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 8:39 pm I couldn't think of anything better than Erma Bombeck, and I was pretty sure she was long dead.
I said the same thing. I blame crossword puzzle constructors for using ERMA and NORA far too often.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 5:41 pm
Definitely harder IMO. And I'm all for clues about movies/Hollywood/Oscars but it's getting a little ridiculous lately.
Agree with both of you here. I'm 0-4 this week and strongly dislike when the show goes on these runs of excessive film trivia and TV especially - this is at least the second time in the last few months I've been a little disgruntled by this. Why not balance the films out with more sports, math/science, current events, other academic topics?

I've honestly been quite underwhelmed by the tourney so far - I hope getting that out there will mean someone listens and we're in for six exciting games as we move toward next week! :D
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
davey

Post by davey »

I knew immediately that the clue was about the screenwriter of Sleepless in Seattle and When Harry Met Sally, though it took me a second or two to dredge up her name...but after the :30, I suddenly knew I was wrong - the clue was obviously about Carrie Fisher!... :? Then I recalled the 2012 in the clue...whew! :roll:
I'm not sure Nora would have been thrilled to be confused with Erma Bombeck...
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

A lot of easy Triple Stumpers this game, probably as many as we had in the first three games this week combined.

I missed FJ, in part because I have never, EVER considered Nora Ephron "funny". And to claim that she is a funnier version of Dorothy Parker?! That's like saying Michael Bay is a more exciting version of Howard Hawks.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I think my ToC is the last tournament that the QF FJs have played this tough. We were at three gets after four days too.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 5:41 pm
I got this one and I'm expecting a low get rate. Unless tomorrow ends up being another flight simulator, probably the lowest of the QFs, too
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Bamaman wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 5:29 pm
I'm 0/4 so I'd say they've been tough. But last week the players went 5/15 (with three TS in the middle) and I got them all right.
Count another O-fer the week, maybe heading for my first box of shame.

I have never heard of Nora Ephron. The Oscar mention steered me away from Erma Bombeck and I came from the Hollywood side and just guessed Joan Rivers, but knowing she hasn't been gone very long. This was a bad set of boards for these contestants. I liked the metric one, while it was easy, it was clever, and I didn't get the 8-mile one because I wasn't focused on having an ordinal number prefix yet. At least yesterday's players didn't have to wait long to find out they swept their way into the next round.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.