Thursday, January 5, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Leaper
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Thursday, January 5, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Leaper »

Finally registered for this board after the loss of the Sony board... Not sure if I'll go back at this point, since so many aren't. Hmm.
BigDaddyJ wrote:We had the Monticello vs. Jefferson Memorial discussion in our living room as well. The wife was convinced it was the latter, but I fortunately stuck with Monticello.
Tehshigelisok wrote:I hate the How Do You category because it's so awkward with the "what is how do you" phrasing, and sometimes, ridiculously precise.
Agreed. It's too clumsy of a category.
Well, you could always just phrase the response as "how do you." It's a question.

I also thought the word ladder in 4 Letter Words was mildly clever. Might've given a slight, slight edge to those who saw it, but only for the last two clues, if that. Even then they were relatively easy, so no big deal.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

The FJ category gave me mixed feelings. Yes, I should know the clue, but how embarrassing if I don't? In Dave's shoes the situation would be perfect. I would wager 200. If I know it great and if I don't then go for humor so no one would know the difference.

The category was ripe for a precall and thought about Drake, Serra, Cabrillo, Alcatraz and Sutter/Marshall/Gold. When the clue was revealed I knew I was at 50% for the week.

Alex's opening remarks were quite complimentary about Dave and very telling about how well he is coming across not only to the host, but also the staff. That should also translate to viewers as well.

The Emmy-winning Survivor episode was the premier of Heroes vs. Villains if anyone gives a hoot.

Indian Head Nickel for me.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

BigDaddyJ wrote:
Tehshigelisok wrote:I hate the How Do You category because it's so awkward with the "what is how do you" phrasing, and sometimes, ridiculously precise.
It wouldn't be if J! contestants weren't so conditioned to say "what is" at the front of every response.

On the subject of the frostbite clue, it was pretty obvious to me that the fingers described were frostbitten, and the actions referred to were a remedy. "How do you treat frostbite?" Simple.

Alex got Dave's FJ get rate wrong when Alex said he was 1/5; he's up to 3 now.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Leaper wrote:Finally registered for this board after the loss of the Sony board... Not sure if I'll go back at this point, since so many aren't. Hmm.
We didn't waste much time in building a nice home here. (What, you think we'd wait 6 months to discuss the show and the other fun stuff we do here?). Welcome!
Leaper wrote:I also thought the word ladder in 4 Letter Words was mildly clever. Might've given a slight, slight edge to those who saw it, but only for the last two clues, if that. Even then they were relatively easy, so no big deal.
True, but I was still cautious that there may have been a twist at the end like they've been known to do. Still kept me on my toes and didn't lull me into a complacent "it'll just be f-l-a-blank" way of thinking.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

MarkBarrett wrote: The category was ripe for a precall and thought about Drake, Serra, Cabrillo, Alcatraz and Sutter/Marshall/Gold. When the clue was revealed I knew I was at 50% for the week.
I also thought of Fremont and Stanford as well as your mentions, but it would have given me more pleasure to see Murrieta. Wonder how widely known that one is.
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

Leaper wrote:Well, you could always just phrase the response as "how do you." It's a question.
seaborgium wrote:On the subject of the frostbite clue, it was pretty obvious to me that the fingers described were frostbitten, and the actions referred to were a remedy. "How do you treat frostbite?" Simple.
It's not the phrasing that bothered me - as you both point out, that's simple enough. It was the lack of specificity. The procedure followed for treating frostbite could also simply be used to warm up your fingers, even if they weren't technically frostbitten. Perhaps the judges would have been generous with accepting creative responses, but it introduced enough doubt in my mind that I stayed clam.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

BigDaddyJ wrote:It's not the phrasing that bothered me - as you both point out, that's simple enough. It was the lack of specificity. The procedure followed for treating frostbite could also simply be used to warm up your fingers, even if they weren't technically frostbitten. Perhaps the judges would have been generous with accepting creative responses, but it introduced enough doubt in my mind that I stayed clam.
No, the description given was of frostbitten fingers. Not simply cold fingers.

I said "cure frostbite", which may or may not have been accepted, but at least I knew that that was what they were going for.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

bpmod wrote:
BigDaddyJ wrote:It's not the phrasing that bothered me - as you both point out, that's simple enough. It was the lack of specificity. The procedure followed for treating frostbite could also simply be used to warm up your fingers, even if they weren't technically frostbitten. Perhaps the judges would have been generous with accepting creative responses, but it introduced enough doubt in my mind that I stayed clam.
No, the description given was of frostbitten fingers. Not simply cold fingers.

I said "cure frostbite", which may or may not have been accepted, but at least I knew that that was what they were going for.
I said "combat frostbite". I think both answers would have been accepted. Yours is less questionable than mine.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote:
BigDaddyJ wrote:
It wouldn't be if J! contestants weren't so conditioned to say "what is" at the front of every response.
Haven't they done a category before where Alex told the contestants that the correct response was already in the form of a question, so no need to double up? If not, they should.
Serendipity
Contributor

Post by Serendipity »

That was FJ? Well, OK, I'm from San Francisco, but still - easy!
Serendipity
Contributor

Post by Serendipity »

seaborgium wrote:It wouldn't be if J! contestants weren't so conditioned to say "what is" at the front of every response.
Many times over the years of watching Jeopardy, I've wished the contestants would have the presence of mind to reply with a clever question - in context - when the opportunity comes up. But they never seem to do it!
Tehshigelisok
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by Tehshigelisok »

Serendipity wrote:
seaborgium wrote:It wouldn't be if J! contestants weren't so conditioned to say "what is" at the front of every response.
Many times over the years of watching Jeopardy, I've wished the contestants would have the presence of mind to reply with a clever question - in context - when the opportunity comes up. But they never seem to do it!
I sometimes say "is that ___" or "that's not ____, is it?" when playing from home.
Really, I'm TenPoundHammer. Same as always.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Tehshigelisok wrote:I sometimes say "is that ___" or "that's not ____, is it?" when playing from home.
I'm pretty sure the latter would get you negged; if you say it's not when it is, you're wrong!
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

With this win, I think that moves Dave up to the all-time leader in.. incredulous reactions when he's ruled incorrect. Haha, just busting your balls. Congrats! Nice job on the quotations today. They may have been easy for all I know, but I was frozen on the last couple of them.

I was frozen on FJ also, much to my chagrin when the answer was revealed. Yikes.
earendel

Post by earendel »

I precalled the subject of FJ! (though not the specific question), and when it was revealed I thought "It can't be that easy, can it?" I was surprised that one of the contestants missed it. As for Dave, he clearly looks like he's having a great time (if I were a superchampion I'd like to think I'd look that relaxed).
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

thejeopardyfan wrote:What were people laughing at when the "shift" category was introduced?
I believe if people were like me, they were mentally removing the 'f'.
BigDaddyJ wrote:Amy Ludwig was a great competitor, and for awhile I even thought she might defeat Dave. However, ringing in on that last clue was really not to her advantage since it sealed Dave's lock on the game. Strategically, I think she should have stayed silent and hoped that Mark Rupp would pick up that last $2000 and break the lock. That would have at least given her some chance at picking up a win on a sole get, although it admittedly still would have required irrational wagers on the part of both Dave and Mark.
I don't remember the exact scores, but I believe if she had let Mark pick it up and break the lock, Dave's wager would still be small enough to keep her locked out.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

earendel wrote:I precalled the subject of FJ! (though not the specific question), and when it was revealed I thought "It can't be that easy, can it?" I was surprised that one of the contestants missed it. As for Dave, he clearly looks like he's having a great time (if I were a superchampion I'd like to think I'd look that relaxed).
I'd like to think I'd be a superchampion, relaxed or no. ;)
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote:
thejeopardyfan wrote:What were people laughing at when the "shift" category was introduced?
I believe if people were like me, they were mentally removing the 'f'.
Shut your mouth!
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Serendipity wrote:
And with good reason. Any variation from what they've practiced is a chance for their brain or tongue to screw them over. Plus, they might not have the correct response . So even if they don't mess up the phrasing, they risk one of those sad moments where everyone knows they were trying to be clever but ended up looking silly.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Serendipity wrote:
And with good reason. Any variation from what they've practiced is a chance for their brain or tongue to screw them over. Plus, they might not have the correct response . So even if they don't mess up the phrasing, they risk one of those sad moments where everyone knows they were trying to be clever but ended up looking silly.
Agreed. At home, I'm always (as is my normal nature) coming up with asides or joke answers. When I was called to do the show, one of the things I had to do was to remove the automatic joke answers out of my brain. And once game play began on stage, it was more a case of being focused -- ring in, answer correctly (I hope), acknowledged as correct by Mr. Trebek, and call out the next clue. If I started throwing out jokes, I figured my rhythm would get out of sync, and that didn't benefit me.

I also was grateful that one category didn't show up until the week after I taped -- "Titles." Insert Sean Connery/SNL joke here.