Tuesday, May 29, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7772, 2018-05-29

CONTESTANTS
Tim Young, a filmmaker from Los Angeles, California
Jeffrey Schwarz, a private investor from New York, New York
Virginia Cummings, a geriatrician from Randolph, Massachusetts (whose 2-day cash winnings total $51,200)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you. Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Champ's on a roll. Virginia is a good player. Jeffrey and Tim, welcome aboard. I'll wish all three of you good luck and put you to work right now in the Jeopardy! Round.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ENGLAND, SCOTLAND OR WALES (5/5)
TV NARRATORS (5/5)
RETORTS (5/5)
THE FOOD CHAIN (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
"I" 4 (4/5)
DETAIL (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Tim: 10 R, 1 W
Virginia: 9 R, 0 W
Jeffrey: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Tim: $2,800
Virginia: $2,200
Jeffrey: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Tim Young is a filmmaker from here in Los Angeles who is into astrology, I believe, and it had an impact on your marriage.

Tim: Well, right. I'm not--I wouldn't say I'm into astrology, but on the evening I was going to propose to my wife--Elaine, my now-wife--she happened to mention during dinner that Mercury was in retrograde. And that this was a thing that meant that you're not supposed to make any important life decisions. So I run to the bathroom and I Google it on my phone, and it turns out I felt like I needed to wait three weeks to pop the question.

Alex: Good for you. Thank you for that.

Alex: Jeffrey Schwarz, private investor from New York. And when you were just a little toddler, your family used to enter you in contests.

Jeffrey: Yes, so the New York Daily News used to have a Most Beautiful Baby contest, and it had a cash prize, so my father entered me regularly. Sadly, I never won.

Alex: Oh.

[Laughter]

Jeffrey: As you can clearly tell, I peaked a long, long time ago.

Alex: Thank you for that.

Alex: Virginia Cummings. You're a geriatrician, you're a medical doctor, and you did not major in pre-med when you started college. What did you major in?

Virginia: I majored in Russian, actually. When I got a C in organic chemistry, I thought, "Maybe a science major isn't for me." And I majored in Russian, which turned out to be the best thing that I could have done. And I encourage everybody--you'll get enough science in medical school if you're gonna go there, so it's your time to do something else.

Alex: So you can practice medicine in Russia now?

Virginia: I did do a rotation in a hospital in Russia.

Alex: Oh, good. Good for you.

Virginia: Yeah, it was very interesting.

Alex: Strange conversations today, but I love them.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jeffrey found the Daily Double on the 27th clue. Virginia had $3,200, Jeffrey had $4,200, and Tim was at $4,000. Jeffrey wagered $1,200.

THE FOOD CHAIN $600: Black bears sometimes prey on the young of this big deer, Alces alces
(Jeffrey: What is, uh... what is elk?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
DETAIL $800: Number of white stripes on the current U.S. flag

DETAIL $1000: Color of the "Ex" in the principal FedEx logo

"I" 4 $600: A foot often written by a poet

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Virginia: $6,000
Tim: $4,000
Jeffrey: $3,000
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
I SURRENDER (5/5)
AWARD-WINNING BOOKS (4/4)
OKLAHOMA HISTORY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
A-1 ALPHANUMERICS 4U (2/5)
EXPORTS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
BAND MATES (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Virginia: 10 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Jeffrey: 8 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Tim: 7 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Virginia snagged the next Daily Double on the 14th clue. Virginia had $14,000, Jeffrey had $6,600, and Tim was at $6,400. Virginia wagered $4,000.

EXPORTS $2000: Conveniently the port of Gothenburg is home to this car company's main plant
(Virginia: What is Volkswagen?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Jeffrey who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 19th clue. Virginia had $10,000, Jeffrey had $7,800, and Tim was at $9,600. Jeffrey wagered $2,300.

OKLAHOMA HISTORY $1600: During the late 1800s, this trail across Oklahoma territory was the major route for moving cattle from Texas to Kansas

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
A-1 ALPHANUMERICS 4U $1200: In 1988 this hard-rockin' band was alphanumerically yours with "OU812"

A-1 ALPHANUMERICS 4U $1600: The influenza pandemic of 1918 & 1919 was caused by this alphanumeric virus

A-1 ALPHANUMERICS 4U $2000: (Jay Leno presents the clue.) Designed by Rolls-Royce, the Merlin engine earned its reputation as "the engine that won World War II" by giving unbeatable performance to Allied planes like the British Spitfire & this famous American fighter plane

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jeffrey: $13,700
Virginia: $12,400
Tim: $10,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BRITISH COMMONWEALTH COUNTRIES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Jeffrey: Wager $11,101 to cover Virginia.
Virginia: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Tim, hoping that you give the correct response and Jeffrey doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $9,201 to cover Tim's doubled score, but no more than $9,800 if you want to top Jeffrey on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $1,599 and win if both Jeffrey and Tim miss Final.
Tim: You ought to try wagering between $1,601 and $7,600. This will top a $0 wager by Virginia while still beating Jeffrey and Virginia on the Triple Stumper (should Jeffrey wager to cover Virginia's doubled score and Virginia wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of the 16 Commonwealth nations with Queen Elizabeth II as head of state, this one is farthest from the United Kingdom

FINAL SCORES
Tim: $10,800 + $8,200 = $19,000 (What is New Zealand?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Virginia: $12,400 + $12,400 = $24,800 (What is New Zealand) (2nd place: $2,000)
Jeffrey: $13,700 + $11,300 = $25,000 (What is New Zealand) (New champion: $25,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $7,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Virginia: $16,400, 19 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Jeffrey: $14,200, 15 R (including 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Tim: $10,800, 17 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $41,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Virginia: 20/59 = .339
Tim: 18/58 = .310
Jeffrey: 16/60 = .267
Team: 54/63 = .857

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ENGLAND, SCOTLAND OR WALES $200: One of its national symbols is on its flag, seen here

TV NARRATORS $600: (I'm Iain Armitage.) So you don't get us mixed up, on the show "Young Sheldon", I play young Sheldon Cooper, while this actor is the voice of older Sheldon

RETORTS $800: Asked about a run for mayor, Ed Davis, head of this department in L.A. in the 1970s, said, "And give up all my power?"
(Tim: What's the department of water and power?)

THE FOOD CHAIN $400: Xylophages, including termites & bark beetles, live on a diet of this
(Jeffrey: What is fiber? [*]?)

EXPORTS $1200: Both Mauritania & Mali export gold, but you can see from the map why only Mauritania is big in frozen this

OKLAHOMA HISTORY $2000: This Duncan, Oklahoma native served as President Reagan's ambassador to the United Nations, the first woman to hold the position

AWARD-WINNING BOOKS $400: Named one of the best illustrated children's books of 2017: the story of this artist "and Her Animalitos"
(Alex: With less than a minute now.)

AWARD-WINNING BOOKS $1600: Sections in this 1999 Pulitzer Prize-winning novel are "Mrs. Woolf", "Mrs. Brown" & "Mrs. Dalloway"
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
a moose
orange
an iamb
Volvo
the Chisholm Trail
Van Halen
H1N1
the P-51
New Zealand
Wales
Jim Parsons
the police department
wood fiber
seafood
Jeane Kirkpatrick
Frida Kahlo
The Hours
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BRITISH COMMONWEALTH COUNTRIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of the 16 Commonwealth nations with Queen Elizabeth II as head of state, this one is farthest from the United Kingdom

Virginia Cummings: 12400+12400=24800
Jeffrey Schwarz: 13700+11300=25000 (New Champ)
Tim Young: 10800+8200=19000

Correct response:
Spoiler
New Zealand

Daily Doubles
Jeffrey: 4200-1200
Virginia: 14000-4000
Jeffrey: 7800+2300

Coryats
Virginia: 16400
Jeffrey: 14200
Tim: 10800

Combined: 41,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Virginia: 6000
Jeffrey: 3000
Tim: 4000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The season of Young Sheldon is over, but not clues by Iain Armitage. The clues get two thumbs up from me with one because I like the show and two the comments on other forums irked by the young actor are hilarious.

When there is a lead change on clue 29 it stinks when that ends the round. The 30th clue could have presented an opportunity for another lead change and instead it’s the time’s up signal. Boo!

On DD2 I will guess Virginia did not know where to locate Gothenburg? I wonder if she gets it right if she knew the country? From there it would not matter what Jeffrey did with DD3 as Virginia would win with a big total.

I’ll join the players keeping the FJ! clue at 100% as I knew enough geography to lock it in quickly. 16 nations? I did this Sporcle quiz: https://www.sporcle.com/games/sammicore ... f-state-of and got half on my first try. I did it a few more times until I could get all 16.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 4:15 pm On DD2 I will guess Virginia did not know where to locate Gothenburg? I wonder if she gets it right if she knew the country?
I had it down to the 50/50 of Volvo and Saab. I assume others in that situation would come up with the same coin flip in various proportions.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Any reason I should know that's Wales's flag and not Scotland's?

Blocked out Jim Parsons' name because adult Sheldon is one of my least favorite fictional characters ever. Someone wanna tell me what his appeal is?

Loved the Retorts category but I didn't get $800's joke.

All but "unconditional" in Surrender.

There's a British Commonwealth?!? Yeah, no chance whatsoever on this.

Lach Trash: iamb, H1N1
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

FJ! wasn't that hard, but it's really easy to overlook New Zealand when big ol' Australia is right there, too. Seems like such an easy mistake that I made.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Instaget FJ. My only fear was that it was one of those tiny Pacific islands like Tuvalu or Kiribati.

Virginia's run ended faster than I thought it would. Oh well.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

acthomas wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:09 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 4:15 pm On DD2 I will guess Virginia did not know where to locate Gothenburg? I wonder if she gets it right if she knew the country?
I had it down to the 50/50 of Volvo and Saab. I assume others in that situation would come up with the same coin flip in various proportions.
Since Saab hasn't made cars since 2012 (ok, I looked up the year), I ruled them out.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Vowela wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:33 pm FJ! wasn't that hard, but it's really easy to overlook New Zealand when big ol' Australia is right there, too. Seems like such an easy mistake that I made.
I agree - Australia isn't a bad guess.

I got it from this FJ: http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4726 Category: The Other Side of the World: "This capital city, which at 12,330 miles is farthest from Madrid, is named for a soldier who spent time in Madrid".
Spoiler
Wellington NZ
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

xxaaaxx wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:35 pm Instaget FJ. My only fear was that it was one of those tiny Pacific islands like Tuvalu or Kiribati.
Thought that too, but realized New Zealand is much farther south than they are.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:29 pm Any reason I should know that's Wales's flag and not Scotland's?
The red dragon is well known as a symbol of Wales. Scotland's flag is the cross of St. Andrew (white X on dark blue background). Congrats on getting H1N1, tho.

So disappointed no one recognized Van Halen's OU812. The title was an answer to former frontman David Lee Roth's solo album Eat 'em and Smile.

How is it that 6 white stripes on the U.S. flag is a TS?
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

xxaaaxx wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:35 pm My only fear was that it was one of those tiny Pacific islands like Tuvalu or Kiribati.

Virginia's run ended faster than I thought it would. Oh well.
Exactly this, but I figured they wouldn't be that harsh on a regular play Final. I actually had Fiji on my paper as they have the Union Jack on their flag, but luckily had the foresight to cross it out and keep New Zealand.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I went with Australia because I figured maybe New Zealand looped around the back and got closer on the other side. Sigh.

At least I got the I-4 TS about A FOOT OFTEN WRITTEN BY A POET.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I went with Australia because I was more confident it was still considered a Commonwealth country (plus what opus said about the possibility of it looping around the other direction).

I'm guessing we just saw the backup question for the Jay Leno's Garage category awhile back.
hscer

Post by hscer »

DBear wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:45 pm

So disappointed no one recognized Van Halen's OU812. The title was an answer to former frontman David Lee Roth's solo album Eat 'em and Smile.
My viewing group all fell for U2, thinking the responses had to be alphanumeric, as the first two in the category had been.
Last edited by hscer on Tue May 29, 2018 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

DBear wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:45 pm
Thought that too, but realized New Zealand is much farther south than they are.
Farther is correct. Alex incorrectly said further.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

I'm sure mfc248 was at work tonight because he wasn't live-tweeting at 7:00, but I'm curious to know how quickly he got this Final Jeopardy! when he does get to watching this game.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Initial response for FJ was Fiji, but I realized New Zealand was probably more antipodean than that. I also figured New Zealand was more likely to be the right response than one of the smaller Pacific nations (they will never ask you for the precise positioning of any of them, apart from possibly knowing Kiribati is crossed by both the equator and the 180th degree of longitude).
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
davey

Post by davey »

Glad others said Australia - I'm especially peeved with myself because my first impulse was New Zealand! I'm very iffy with clues that require visualizing the map, and with south in its name... :roll:
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

-- I also got FJ right because of that 2014 TOC FJ linked above. Tuvalu crossed my mind, but there's no *way* that's a correct FJ response.

-- My first thought on the Exports DD was Saab, but then I remembered Volvo and figured it would be a more likely correct response.

-- My first thought was U2 on the alphanumeric band thing, also, but I shut my yap because I think the clue said something about "hard-rock," which just isn't the right adjective for that band...

Suddenly, my Coryats seem to be improving rapidly; I think I probably learned a lot of common J material by not knowing it / getting it wrong some months ago, and now similar clues are recurring. Such was the case with Chisholm Trail and P-51 Mustang today. Hoping the trend continues.