Friday, January 6, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, January 6, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6285, 2012-01-06

Dave Leach game 7.

CONTESTANTS
Dan McShane, a baseball game logger from West Islip, New York
Molly Dahlberg, a tutor and opera singer from Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Dave Leach, a software analyst from Atlanta, Georgia (whose 6-day cash winnings total $98,054)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Welcome, ladies and gentlemen. These have been good times on Jeopardy! in recent weeks. Over the past three weeks, we have given away to our Jeopardy! champions well over $300,000. That's what they've earned. Who will earn the money today? Will it be the newcomers, Molly and Dan, or our champion Dave again? Good luck. Let's go to work. Here are your categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NEW MEXICO (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex: In honor of New Mexico celebrating its 100 years of statehood.)
SNAKES... WHY'D IT HAVE TO BE SNAKES? (5/5)
DIRECTED & STARRED IN (5/5)
FORM LETTERS (5/5)
I WANT MY "BABY" BACK, "BABY" BACK (4/5)
RIBS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dan: 11 R, 0 W
Molly: 9 R, 1 W
Dave: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Dan: $3,400
Molly: $1,800
Dave: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Dan McShane is from New York, and he's a perfect example of some of the troubles that can happen when you travel to, uh, the outdoors.

Dan: Right. Uh, about 2 years ago, a friend of mine planned a camping trip for all of us, but I didn't really find out until I got there that it was kind of a long hike instead of just, you know, renting a plot. So about 26 miles and 2 days later of, uh, hiking in 95 degrees, we managed to find our way out of the Appalachian Trail.

Alex: You managed to find your way out?

Dan: Right.

Alex: Are you planning another similar vacation in the near future?

Dan: He has, but I haven't gone with him.

Alex: [Laughs] Good for you. You learned.

Alex: Molly Dahlberg is an opera singer from Louisiana. Who got second place in--not a singing competition, but...

Molly: A New Orleans ladies' arm wrestling event.

Alex: Really?

Molly: Yes, um...

Alex: [Putting his arm up on her lectern for a match] Come on.

Molly: Here we go. Should we go right now?

[Molly takes up his challenge.]

Alex: Go.

[Molly handily bests Alex.]

Alex and Molly: Oh!

[Laughter]

Alex: [Waving it off] Alex the wuss. Okay. Nice to have you here.

Alex: Dave Leach is our champion. Cancer survivor?

Dave: I sure am.

Alex: Yeah?

Dave: I was diagnosed with lymphoma back in 2001. Finished all my treatments, caught it early, and almost ten years in remission now.

Alex: All right. Good for you.

Dave: Yep.

[Applause]

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dave found the Daily Double on the 29th clue. Dave had $4,600, Molly had $4,000, and Dan was at $4,800. Dave wagered $2,300.

NEW MEXICO $1000: Most of what is now New Mexico was ceded to the U.S. in 1848 through this treaty that ended the Mexican War
(Dave: What is the Gadsden Treaty?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
I WANT MY "BABY" BACK, "BABY" BACK $1000: This youthful fellow had a bad run-in with the authorities in 1934
(Dave: Who is Nelson?)

(Alex: Baby F--no. You had to have "baby" in the correct response, so the correct response is [*], but you didn't give me the "Baby" part.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Dan: $5,800
Molly: $4,000
Dave: $2,300
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, January 6, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WRITE NOW! (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
GAME DESCRIPTIONS (5/5) (Alex: We'll give you the description--you identify the game.)
MUSIC APPRECIATION (5/5)
ON A FIRST-NAME BASIS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THE TIMES THEY ARE A-CHANGIN' (3/5)
ANAGRAMMAR (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dave: 11 R (including 2 rebounds), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Dan: 8 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Molly: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dan snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Dave had $5,500, Molly had $2,400, and Dan was at $12,600. Dan wagered $2,600.

ON A FIRST-NAME BASIS $2000: Paul McCartney's real first name; he shares it with 2 apostles
(Dan: What is Andrew?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Dave who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 30th clue. Dave had $11,900, Molly had $6,800, and Dan was at $14,400. Dave wagered $2,500.

WRITE NOW! $1600: For a magazine story, this author of westerns once did his day's writing on a traffic island on Sunset Blvd.
(Dave: Who is McMurtry?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE TIMES THEY ARE A-CHANGIN' $400: Thousands have died in this country's 2011 uprising against the Assad regime
(Alex: Assad--[*].)

THE TIMES THEY ARE A-CHANGIN' $1200: A hunger strike by Anna Hazare forced India's govt. to agree to this type of "man" investigating corruption

WRITE NOW! $1200: He wrote "The Kandy-Kolored Tangerine-Flake Streamline Baby" in one night for Esquire magazine
(Dave: Who is Capote?)
(Molly: Who is Kesey?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Dan: $14,400
Dave: $9,400
Molly: $6,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ANCIENT WEIGHTS & MEASURES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Dan: Wager $4,401 to cover Dave.
Dave: You have the hope of surpassing Dan if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $5,001 to force Dan to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Molly.
Molly: Your only hope of a win is that you're the only one to give a correct response, so bet $6,798 or so, leaving a few bucks behind in case someone wagers it all.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The Hebrew word for this Biblical unit of measurement is Ammah, aptly meaning "elbow" or "forearm"

FINAL SCORES
Molly: $6,800 - $6,000 = $800 (What is) (3rd place: $1,000)
Dave: $9,400 + $5,001 = $14,401 (What is a cubit?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Dan: $14,400 + $4,401 = $18,801 (What is cubit?) (New champion: $18,801)
(Alex: Where do we have measurements in the Bible? You have to thinik of Noah, perhaps.
[revealing Dave's response]
[*]--yes--man--the distance from the elbow to the finger.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $3,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Dan: $17,000, 19 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Dave: $14,200, 19 R, 5 W (including 2 DDs)
Molly: $6,800, 15 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $38,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Dan: 20/59 = .339
Dave: 20/60 = .333
Molly: 15/58 = .259
Team: 55/63 = .873

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
SNAKES... WHY'D IT HAVE TO BE SNAKES? $200: Holy jumpin' cats! Here's an African sand cat squaring off with a sand viper in this 3-million-square-mile sandpile

SNAKES... WHY'D IT HAVE TO BE SNAKES? $400: Sibon annulata, named for preying on these very slow movers, lives in central America, not France

SNAKES... WHY'D IT HAVE TO BE SNAKES? $600: The modern-day Rikki-Tikki-Tavis here are watching one of these snakes emerging from a hole

NEW MEXICO $400: The animal seen here was rescued in New Mexico's capitan mountains & became the living symbol of this mascot

NEW MEXICO $600: In 1942 this comparatively isolated New Mexico place was chosen for an atomic research lab
(Molly: What is Los Cruces?)

SNAKES... WHY'D IT HAVE TO BE SNAKES? $800: You can tell by its stripes that the deadly Australian snake here is named for this big cat

SNAKES... WHY'D IT HAVE TO BE SNAKES? $1000: The prominent horn on the nose shows why Bitis nasicornis is also known as this viper, after another African animal

RIBS $200: In Genesis he wakes up to find himself minus one rib but plus one female
(Alex: That's a good exchange.)

RIBS $400: In architecture a ribbed ceiling with arches is called one of these, like a room in a bank
(Alex: Yeah, we'll accept that. A "vault". It's called a "vault".)

RIBS $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows an anatomical animation on the monitor.) The lowest two pairs of ribs in humans are known by this suspended adjective, as they don't attach in the front

GAME DESCRIPTIONS $1600: Roll dice & try to get your 15 counters off the board before the other guy; watch out for doubling
(Molly: What is Sorry?)

MUSIC APPRECIATION $800: It's the time signature of the Chopin piece heard here; listen to the left hand
(Dave: What is 3/3?)
(Alex: [*]--yes--it's a waltz.)

MUSIC APPRECIATION $1200: In 1990, on this composer's 150th birthday, Itzhak Perlman was fiddling away in Russia in his honor
(Alex: [*]--150th birthday.)

ANAGRAMMAR $1200: Surrounding words that give meaning:
next cot
(Dan: What is an adjective?)
(Alex: [*]--that's the word.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo
Baby Face Nelson
James
Louis L'Amour
Syria
an ombudsman
Tom Wolfe
a cubit
the Sahara
snails
a cobra
Smokey the Bear
Los Alamos
a tiger
a rhinoceros
Adam
vaulted
floating
backgammon
3/4
Tchaikovsky
context
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, January 6, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

Ancient Weights & Measures
The Hebrew word for this Biblical unit of measurement is ammah, aptly meaning "elbow" or "forearm".
Spoiler
What is a cubit? Molly had no guess.
Dan McShane: $14,400+$4,401=$18,801...now a 1-day champion with $18,801
Dave Leach: $9.400+$5,001=$14,401
Molly Dahlberg: $6,800-$6,000=$800
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

After his DD bet the other day, I was expecting a bet of $4,700 on that last DD, it would have put him in another lock tie situation.

For perhaps the first time ever, I correctly precalled FJ.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Bamaman wrote:After his DD bet the other day, I was expecting a bet of $4,700 on that last DD, it would have put him in another lock tie situation.
Totally agreed. Not that Dave should have tanked it just to get to a lock-tie, but $4700 is definitely a superior wager in all respects. I guess the betting gods grant inspiration one day and take it away the next.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

goforthetie wrote:
Bamaman wrote:After his DD bet the other day, I was expecting a bet of $4,700 on that last DD, it would have put him in another lock tie situation.
Totally agreed. Not that Dave should have tanked it just to get to a lock-tie, but $4700 is definitely a superior wager in all respects. I guess the betting gods grant inspiration one day and take it away the next.
It looked like he was playing with the idea, but couldn't quite do it. Too bad he missed the DD and it cost him the game. It was a great run, but he faced a worthy giant killer. We'll miss you Dave!
a1srvng
Valued Contributor

Post by a1srvng »

Well, I see clever old Dave was again up to his old tricks of responding to obvious answers with the last name only. This time, however, it bit him (righteously!) in the tush. "Nelson" is NOT "Babyface Nelson". Headline: JEOPARDY CONTESTANT OUTSMARTS SELF
If one guy beats the system by shortcutting the answers and avoiding the risk of giving a normal response, that is good for one guy. It cheats millions of fans who might not know the answer right away, but were loyal enough to tune in and maybe learn something. You'd think these guys might think about the whole concept and purpose of the game, entertainment, while they're contesting and attempt to win without hedging a response and letting Alex fill it in.
Those two kids(kids, for cryin' out loud!) knew the score. In the "Actor/Director" category, they were game enough to answer (correctly) with first and last name. Dave? "DeVito"
Goodbye Dave.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Agreed. On both counts (though I've precalled a FJ before). Take the lead with a get, lock-tie on a miss. I was hoping he'd take the extra second to do the math in his head, but it wasn't to be.

You had a great run Dave! See you in the TOC :mrgreen:
Tehshigelisok
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by Tehshigelisok »

15/30, 12/30.

I felt comfortable in most of the categories. Blanking on Sahara cost me a 5/5 in Snakes, but I ran Anagrammar with ease. Of all things, Pokémon has helped me with the mongoose/cobra connection.

Total neg-fest for me though. Roswell for Los Alamos, false ribs for floating, new year's baby for baby boomer, Combs for Sean (RTFC), Edmund Fitzgerald for Hesperus and Stars & Stripes Forever for Semper Fidelis. Also was about to say James on the Paul McCartney DD but changed to Peter for no reason.

Anyone else say "what is 3/4" for Music Appreciation before they even played the snippet?

Biblical measurement... hmm, what were the ones for length? Only one I can think of is cubit, so I'll go with that. I love it when I can just pick one without second-guessing myself, overcomplicating the clue or completely failing to notice the TOMs.
Really, I'm TenPoundHammer. Same as always.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

I agree that Dave should have tanked the last DD and put the leader in a lock-tie situation. Assuming a $0 bet from the leader, Dave would be co-champion again.

I didn't get FJ. My WAG was "arm's length."
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

a1srvng wrote:Well, I see clever old Dave was again up to his old tricks of responding to obvious answers with the last name only. This time, however, it bit him (righteously!) in the tush. "Nelson" is NOT "Babyface Nelson". Headline: JEOPARDY CONTESTANT OUTSMARTS SELF
If one guy beats the system by shortcutting the answers and avoiding the risk of giving a normal response, that is good for one guy. It cheats millions of fans who might not know the answer right away, but were loyal enough to tune in and maybe learn something. You'd think these guys might think about the whole concept and purpose of the game, entertainment, while they're contesting and attempt to win without hedging a response and letting Alex fill it in.
Those two kids(kids, for cryin' out loud!) knew the score. In the "Actor/Director" category, they were game enough to answer (correctly) with first and last name. Dave? "DeVito"
Goodbye Dave.
I don't know - if the purpose is to entertain the fans at home, but the fans choose to go on the internet and behave like tools, I'm fine with the contestants doing what they please.
Tehshigelisok
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by Tehshigelisok »

Oh yeah. I knew Babyface Nelson entirely from O Brother, Where Art Thou?, easily one of my 5 favorite movies.
Really, I'm TenPoundHammer. Same as always.
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

Would I had been wrong if I just said Treaty of Hidalgo? Because that's what I did. I had to pull this one out.

Good game Dave. I was sad that you knocked out Jason because I was definitely a fan. However, I look forward to seeing both of you in the Tournament of Champions.
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

a1srvng wrote:Well, I see clever old Dave was again up to his old tricks of responding to obvious answers with the last name only. This time, however, it bit him (righteously!) in the tush. "Nelson" is NOT "Babyface Nelson". Headline: JEOPARDY CONTESTANT OUTSMARTS SELF
Goodbye Dave.
Shouldn't Alex have allowed the other contestants to ring in on the Babyface Nelson question when he ruled Dave incorrect?
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

Same here. Cubit was the first and only biblical measurement that came to mind, thanks to the classic Bill Cosby Noah routine.
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

JFanForever wrote:Would I had been wrong if I just said Treaty of Hidalgo? Because that's what I did. I had to pull this one out.

Good game Dave. I was sad that you knocked out Jason because I was definitely a fan. However, I look forward to seeing both of you in the Tournament of Champions.
The name of the city is Guadalupe Hidalgo, so yeah, you'd have probably been wrong.
Casey Stengel.
alamble

Post by alamble »

SkoolRN wrote:
Goodbye Dave.
Shouldn't Alex have allowed the other contestants to ring in on the Babyface Nelson question when he ruled Dave incorrect?
Yes, but he slipped and started explaining why he'd negged Dave first. I'm surprised that they didn't simply edit that question out and use the fabled bonus clue.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

alamble wrote:
SkoolRN wrote:
Goodbye Dave.
Yes, but he slipped and started explaining why he'd negged Dave first. I'm surprised that they didn't simply edit that question out and use the fabled bonus clue.
Well the real error was Alex clarifying with "Babyface Nelson" before he realized that "Babyface" was a necessary part of the response. Had he not done that, I think we would have gotten a BMS.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

And $14,401 shows up again! Note to future contestants: if somebody finishes with $14,401, a superchamp is going down and people are going to start throwing the phrase "giant killer" around.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

SkoolRN wrote:

Same here. Cubit was the first and only biblical measurement that came to mind, thanks to the classic Bill Cosby Noah routine.
I was somewhat disappointed that it was an FJ and not a regular clue so I couldn't say "What's a cubit?" in a Bill Cosby impression. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0KHt8xrQkk). "Cubit" was the only Biblical measurement I thought they'd ask about, but I always thought "cubit" *was* the Hebrew name (not "ammah" or whatever was in the clue), otherwise, why would we call it "cubit"? Perhaps someone more wise than I could explain.

Another for answering "Treaty of Hidalgo" - seems to have a fair number of hits in Google on its own (and "Treaty of Hidalgo" redirects to "Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo" in Wikipedia ... )

Great wagering strategy, Dave. So many times second place overwagers, but this was the best wager in your situation. I agree that there are several haters out there for lots of things about you, but I haven't seen anyone hate on your wagering style yet. Way to represent for Davedom, you're inspiring. :)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012