Your guess for Thursday's FJ [SPOILER]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

My guess was for Thursday's FJ was:

Aquarius
2%
Aries
1%
Cancer
No votes
Capricorn
No votes
Gemini
30%
Leo
No votes
Libra
28%
Pisces
10%
Sagittarius
24%
Scorpio
No votes
Taurus
No votes
Virgo
No votes
Orion
2%
Some other Non-Zodiac response
2%
No response
No votes

Total votes: 87

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Your guess for Thursday's FJ [SPOILER]

Post by opusthepenguin »

Category: CONSTELLATIONS
Clue: THIS ZODIAC CONSTELLATION INCLUDES 2 LINES (OR STRINGS) THAT TERMINATE IN A STAR CALLED ALRESCHA, THE KNOT

The Weekly Poll will give us the highlights, but I thought a special poll was in order to address all the possibilities.

In your comments, please list your actual guess plus other possibilities you considered in order of preference. Also, rate your level of confidence in your guess and, if you like, in your backup guesses.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Your guess for Thursday's FJ [SPOILER]

Post by opusthepenguin »

My guess: Libra with ~65% confidence
Backup guess: Gemini with ~30% confidence

Mrs Penguin went with Gemini. I got to feel superior briefly as I explained why I thought Libra was a better guess. Then when Libra was negged on the first reveal, I said, "Well, looks like you were right."
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

I had a Gemini to Libra. My thinking was I liked my second instinct better than my first one and since I was born in October I did not want to miss and have it be Libra when I'm guessing anyway.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Chose Libra because I thought the "strings" might've been part of the structure of the scales. The named star meant nothing to me, and I don't know what the constellation looks like. They could've shown a diagram on the monitor, and most likely I still wouldn't have gotten it. My vision of the standard zodiac image of two fish swimming in opposite directions doesn't really involve strings or lines. I'll check the night skies next time I'm near Bass Pro Shops.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Gemini because "two".
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Pisces.

I just knew when drawn as fish, they're drawn with that string between them and Libra, which also came to mind, would necessitate more than one knot.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:13 pm My guess: Libra with ~65% confidence
Backup guess: Gemini with ~30% confidence
Pretty much me, but with the confidence level about 10 points lower.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

Gemini, 30% confidence.

Backup: Libra, 25% confidence.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

First thought, Lyra because of "strings," then thought, "wait, that's not a zodiacal sign." Went with Libra (so far the sheep!) with 8.33% confidence. Had no backup.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I said Gemini because of the twins and the fact it is my sign. I wasn’t super-confident and thought Libra was right when I saw it.

If this had been an LL question where I had all day and I could write down all 12 names I still miss it.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

Wavered between Gemini and Pisces, and went with Pisces because I could see fish on strings being a constellation, and also because I'm a Pisces (ish) and would rather be wrong guessing my own sign that missing my own sign.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
CellBlock
Valued Contributor

Post by CellBlock »

Guessed Aquarius (the water bearer) because, while Libra is the scales, those don't really have strings that meet in a knot, so I went with a constellation that might have something with a similar shape. (Turns out it doesn't, or at least, not in the depictions on Wikipedia.)
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Considered Libra. Spent most of the time trying to think of which one had a kite. Settled with Aquarius at the last moment with no confidence as I had managed to eliminate most of the others.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Knots imply twosome. Gemini was too obvious so I went with the other twosome on the Zodiac, Pisces, represented by two fish.
Douglas Squasoni
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Guessed Orion. If I realized it was a Zodiac constellation, I probably would've guessed Virgo.
TerSch
Contributor

Post by TerSch »

Started with Libra. Ruled out Taurus, Aries, Aquarius, Leo, Cancer, Virgo, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Gemini ... Running out of time ... Go with Libra.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

First thought of Lyra because of the strings, then realized that's not in the zodiac. Switched to Libra for the same reason everybody else has given, and then switched to Sagittarius thinking of a bow string (even though that would be only one string). No confidence in any of them.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I said Sagittarius. I didn't know why the string would have a knot, but I didn't have anything better to switch to. I had never paid close enough attention to the constellation Pisces to realize that the fish were connected by string.
Snaxx
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Snaxx »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:23 pm I had a Gemini to Libra. My thinking was I liked my second instinct better than my first one and since I was born in October I did not want to miss and have it be Libra when I'm guessing anyway.
I did the same thing for the same reason, also guessing that the strings had something to do with the scales.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

TerSch wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:55 pm Started with Libra. Ruled out Taurus, Aries, Aquarius, Leo, Cancer, Virgo, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Gemini ... Running out of time ... Go with Libra.
My guess: Gemini with maybe 20% confidence because like TerSch, I ruled out the ones I could remember, especially the STINKING FISH. That left about 5 candidates and I couldn't come up with Happy, Sleepy, Dopey, Comet, and Donner in that length of time.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.