Monday, June 18, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, June 18, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7786, 2018-06-18

CONTESTANTS
Erik Johnson, a packaging engineer from Plymouth, Minnesota
Sara Nies, an editorial assistant from New York, New York
Deirdre Thomas, an attorney and editor from Seattle, Washington (whose 1-day cash winnings total $16,399)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Just occurred to me as I was listening to Johnny speak: Deirdre, you've earned $17,000 for just a half-hour's work.

Deirdre: Yeah, it's a pretty good rate.

Alex: I hope you don't bill by the hour. That's a very good rate, yes. Sara and Erik, nice to have you with us today. Good luck, players. Here we go. Let's get into the Jeopardy! Round...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
4 RINGS, SERKIS (5/5)
SHE CREATED HIM (4/5)
COMIC-CONVERSATION (5/5)
GET "OUT"! (5/5)
REVOLUTION NOW! (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
BUT IT'S LUNCHTIME (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Deirdre: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Sara: 11 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Erik: 8 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Erik: $3,400
Deirdre: $2,800
Sara: $1,800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Erik Johnson is from Plymouth, Minnesota, and he's about to get some good news. Your response of "blowout" a little while ago has been deemed acceptable, so you're gonna get $400 more. You're at $3,400. Now you used to track statistics. Tell me about that.

Erik: I did. It was for the now-defunct Minnesota Swarm indoor lacrosse team. Played at the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul. There was a team of, I'd say, about seven of us, tracking the fast pace of the game, and each person tracking one statistic.

Alex: Was that team replaced by another? Because lacrosse is popular up there, isn't it?

Erik: Not popular enough, I guess. I don't think they filled up the stadium well enough, so they eventually moved to Georgia, I guess. No team has yet replaced them.

Alex: Oh, all right. Good.

Alex: Sara Nies from New York. Editorial assistant who was going on a trip and learned to drive stick shift because you wanted to be able to rent a car, and what happened?

Sara: Yeah, so my boyfriend, Nate, and I were doing a road trip in the north of France. And we got to the rental place, and they said, "Oh, can you drive automatic? Because the only car we have on the lot is an SUV that's an automatic." So that's what I got to drive.

Alex: Surprise, surprise.

Sara: Yeah.

Alex: Now, consider if you had tried to rent a car in Great Britain. Stick shift. Now that's a whole new deal because you're shifting with your left hand.

Sara: It would not have gone well.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Deirdre Thomas is our champ. She's from Seattle. Met your husband the first day you got to France on a trip.

Deirdre: Yes, I was actually moving to France for a new job. And I was excited to move to France, but wanted to maximize my time in the U.S. So I flew in that morning that I was starting, showed up at work. It was also his first day. And so, you know, we kind of became friends, eventually blossomed into romance, and...

Alex: Got married.

Deirdre: Yes, yes. My husband, Mark, and I have two great kids, and later this week will be our--

Alex: But he's not French, is he?

Deirdre: He is not French. But we'll be celebrating our 21st wedding anniversary later this week, just a few days.

Alex: Good for you. Congratulations on that.

Deirdre: Thank you.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sara found the Daily Double on the 24th clue. Deirdre had $4,200, Sara had $5,400, and Erik was at $3,400. Sara made it a True Daily Double, wagering $5,400.

REVOLUTION NOW! $400: The Euphrates Revolt was an unsuccessful 1920s uprising against the U.K.'s control of this country
(Sara: What is Saudi Arabia?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SHE CREATED HIM $400: Jacob Black
(Sara: Who is... Bronte?)

BUT IT'S LUNCHTIME $400: Every Scot knows that cock-a-leekie soup is a fine repast based on leeks & a stock made from this

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Erik: $5,200
Deirdre: $5,200
Sara: $400
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, June 18, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
IN THE LOUVRE (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
4-LETTER WORDS (4/5)
ECONOMICS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ISLAND HOPPING (4/5)
CHEMICAL PROCESSES (2/3)
EXPRESS-ING THEMSELVES (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sara: 11 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Deirdre: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Erik: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Deirdre snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Deirdre had $7,200, Sara had $1,600, and Erik was at $5,200. Deirdre wagered $2,000.

IN THE LOUVRE $800: An Italian import:
"The Rebellious Slave" (a sculpture); "Ideal Head of a Woman" (a sketch)
(Deirdre: Who is...
(Alex: Hurry.)
(Deirdre: Who is, uh, da Vinci?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Sara who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 27th clue. Deirdre had $9,200, Sara had $8,000, and Erik was at $8,400. Sara wagered $2,800.

ECONOMICS $2000: From Latin for "to look at", they are investors out for short-term profit; their money keeps the markets liquid & efficient
(Sara: Who are... voir dire?)
(Alex: Less than a minute to deal with the last three clues.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
IN THE LOUVRE $1600: "The Coronation of Emperor Napoleon I and the Crowning of Empress Josephine in Notre Dame Cathedral"

4-LETTER WORDS $1600: A Washington, D.C. university honors this policy expert "of the year"

ISLAND HOPPING $1600: This island in the Gulf of Naples is known for its Blue Grotto

EXPRESS-ING THEMSELVES $1200: This children's book series by W. Awdry inspired Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical "Starlight Express"

CHEMICAL PROCESSES $800: This radical, self-sustaining type of reaction happens in 3 stages: initiation, propagation & termination

ECONOMICS $400: From 1990 to 2015 this annual figure for the U.S. averaged about 2.5%; for China, about 10%
(Sara: What is the GDP?)
[Originally ruled correct; ruled incorrect before the second Daily Double.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Deirdre: $10,400
Erik: $8,400
Sara: $5,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CLASSIC TOYS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
First equals twice third with second crushing third.
Deirdre: Wager $6,400--wagering any more risks falling behind Sara's wager of $1,200.
Erik: While a wager of all $8,400 may be a rational possibility (since it has the potential to tie Deirdre if you both get Final right), your more optimal choice is to wager $2,000. Don't fall into the trap of making the Four-fifths Rule wager of $4,001, because if Sara wagers $1,200, you may fall behind, and in this case it's more important to stay ahead of Sara than to reap the small benefit your 4/5ths position offers.
Sara: Wager all $5,200 if you have confidence in your Final-solving abilities or Erik's wagering abilities. If neither, a wager of $1,200 is good for at least the extra prize potential of a second-place finish (if Deirdre misses Final) and can possibly score the win if Erik goofs in wagering. Importantly, this latter wager ties Deirdre should Deirdre wager $6,400 but give the incorrect response.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This toy was patented in the 1960s as a "liquid filled die agitator"

FINAL SCORES
Sara: $5,200 + $5,200 = $10,400 (What is a magic 8 ball?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Erik: $8,400 + $6,000 = $14,400 (What is Magic 8 Ball) (2nd place: $2,000)
Deirdre: $10,400 + $6,401 = $16,801 (What is Magic 8 Ball Ball?) (2-day champion: $33,200)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Sara: $13,400, 22 R, 6 W (including 2 DDs)
Deirdre: $12,400, 14 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Erik: $8,400, 12 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $34,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Sara: 23/60 = .383
Deirdre: 15/59 = .254
Erik: 13/58 = .224
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
GET "OUT"! $200: I just got 3 cases of pens & 6 cases of Scotch tape all for $20 in this type of liquidation sale
(Erik: What is a blowout?)
[Originally ruled incorrect; ruled correct during the contestant interviews.]

GET "OUT"! $400: Adjective used to describe a deeply religious person
(Sara: What is a zealot?)

GET "OUT"! $600: It's the 10-letter weather phenomenon seen here

REVOLUTION NOW! $200: This country's "February Revolution" of 1917 began on March 8 on the calendar we use today
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

COMIC-CONVERSATION $200: It encloses dialogue from a specific speaker's mouth

4-LETTER WORDS $2000: It's the simple bouquet seen here

ISLAND HOPPING $2000: The South Pacific's Iles du Vent & Iles Sous le Vent translate as the islands of these 2 nautical directions
(Erik: What are east and southeast?)
(Sara: What are windward and under the wind?)

CHEMICAL PROCESSES $1200: Combustion is a chemical reaction usually including oxygen & accompanied by heat & light in this physical form
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Iraq
Stephenie Meyer
chicken
Michelangelo
speculators
Jacques-Louis David
wonk
Capri
Thomas the Tank Engine
a chain reaction
GDP growth
Magic 8-Ball
a closeout (or a blowout)
devout
a waterspout
Russia
a speech bubble (or balloon)
a posy
Windward and Leeward
fire (or flame)
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CLASSIC TOYS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This toy was patented in the 1960s as a “liquid filled die agitator”

Deirdre Thomas: 10400+6401=16801 (2x = $33,200)
Sara Nies: 5200+5200=10400
Erik Johnson: 8400+6000=14400

Correct response:
Spoiler
Magic 8-Ball

Daily Doubles
Sara: 5400-5400
Deirdre: 7200-2000
Sara: 8000-2800

Coryats
Deirdre: 12400
Sara: 13400
Erik: 8400

Combined: 34,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Deirdre: 5200
Sara: 400
Erik: 5200
Last edited by theFJguy on Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The clues with reversals:

GET “OUT”! $200 (Alex said “out” would be at the end of each correct response): I just got 3 cases of pens & 6 cases of Scotch tape all for $20 in this type of liquidation sale

Erik was negged for “blow out” and Sara rebounded the expected “close out” with Erik getting a correct response at chat time.

ECONOMICS $400: From 1990 to 2015 this annual figure for the U.S. averaged about 2.5%; for China, about 10%

Sara’s GDP was accepted, but then was negged at the DD3 break as GDP growth was wanted.

The FJ! category had me confident as I liked my odds of having played with whatever was asked. The clue quickly filled me with doubt as I was not picturing the description. In my search for where the clue was going I had detours to the rock tumbler and Creepy Crawlers.

I had another path of taking “die” to die-cast and wrote “Ho” on my paper going for the famous toy cars. Before I could finish I woke up to die being exactly that and in liquid to make it a no-doubter solve. Not perfect, but a solve with time to spare and yes, I have played with the thing.

An easier version of the clue from 2002 also went 3/3 on the show: #4100, aired 2002-05-31 TOYS & GAMES: One face of the icosahedron, a 20-sided figure inside this, says "yes"

Ouch on Sara going 0/2 on her DDs. The all-in DD1 was gutsy and even with the miss she had worked herself back into contention by the time of DD3 when a solve there would have been enough for a narrow lead in the FJ! round.

Edit: Correcting "gross" to "growth."
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Someone explain to me the inner pun the writers were attempting with GET OUT/REVOLUTION NOW/BUT IT'S LUNCH TIME!!!

I don't understand this one.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

theFJguy wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:04 pm Deirdre Thomas: 10400+6401=16801 (2x = $33,200)
Sara Nies: 5200+5200=10400
Erik Johnson: 8400+6000=14400
Obviously the $6k FJ wager is very sub-optimal. And in my opinion, Sara has one excellent option for a wager.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

Liquid filled and agitator got me there. 1/1 in this new week
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

There's such a thing as a "GDP gross"? Isn't that what the G stands for? Can someone explain the thought process on that clue, because I don't get why it was reversed.

Any reason I should know the Russian Revolution was in February 1917?

I read a lot of comics, and have NHO "bleed" in that context. IMO, "graphic novel" should've traded places with that one.

Die floating in liquid? That sounds like a Magic 8-Ball to me. Woo instaget!

Lach Trash: Stephenie Meyer, chicken
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I don't see why GDP wasn't good enough. I'd have thought it qualified as an acronym that was understood enough as an answer, but I guess not? Definitely don't agree that it should've been negged after the fact if they wanted "gross domestic product" in full, anyway. At least it didn't really affect the final results, but still, should have never happened.

Stupidly guessed Trouble for FJ! Die agitator, sure. Liquid, not so much.
Leander

Post by Leander »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:29 pm There's such a thing as a "GDP gross"? Isn't that what the G stands for? Can someone explain the thought process on that clue, because I don't get why it was reversed.
You misheard the correction. The correct answer was “GDP Growth”, which is expressed as a %, per the numbers in the clue. Sara’s answer of GDP by itself is a huge absolute number.

Sara should have known that Euphrates is Pavlov for Iraq.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

I generally like art... one day I'm going to get all these pavlovs down. Bosch when spotted devils was a silly miss in hindsight. Good clue, though.

I liked Sara and thought she was the best player on stage - too bad she was undone by the two incorrect DDs.

No problem on this Final, a welcome sight for my fatigued brain. :lol:
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
QuizGeek75
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by QuizGeek75 »

I knew Wilbert Awdry created Thomas The Tank Engine, but shouldn't it have been the Railway Series since Awdry created those books? 1946 was the year when the cheeky blue locomotive was introduced. The first book was The Three Railway Engines, which was released in 1945, which was after the end of World War II.
Just a person who loves game shows.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I went with Magic 8 Ball with maybe a 20% level of confidence.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Instaget FJ for me. I think GDP deserved a BMS.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:14 pm I think GDP deserved a BMS.
Nah. You can't BMS that. GDP is a thing and it's just wrong.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

Vowela wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:37 pm I don't see why GDP wasn't good enough. I'd have thought it qualified as an acronym that was understood enough as an answer, but I guess not? Definitely don't agree that it should've been negged after the fact if they wanted "gross domestic product" in full, anyway. At least it didn't really affect the final results, but still, should have never happened.

Stupidly guessed Trouble for FJ! Die agitator, sure. Liquid, not so much.
That is not what happened. She left out the word "growth." "GDP growth" or Gross Domestic Product growth" would both have been acceptable.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Vowela wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:37 pm I don't see why GDP wasn't good enough. I'd have thought it qualified as an acronym that was understood enough as an answer, but I guess not? Definitely don't agree that it should've been negged after the fact if they wanted "gross domestic product" in full, anyway. At least it didn't really affect the final results, but still, should have never happened
They didn't want GDP (which is measured in currency), per se, they wanted growth (measured in percents).

I'm also accepting "growth" by itself. When politicians talk about "increasing growth by 4% a year", for example, they mean GDP growth.

FJ: Spirograph. I spent about 20 seconds trying to come up with a toy that helped make tie dye shirts...so that was one heck of a failed train of thought. Then I panicked realizing, "Nope! Out of time!"
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Vowela wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:37 pm Stupidly guessed Trouble for FJ! Die agitator, sure. Liquid, not so much.
My son said "Pop-o-Matic."
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Look at it this way... if a question asked for acceleration and you answered "speed" instead, would that warrant a BMS?

I was scratching my head over the initial acceptance of the answer. Growth alone would have been fine given the category. GDP is only a measure of the economy itself and whatever the unit, "10%" doesn't mean anything unless you're talking about comparing relative sizes of economies.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:05 pm The clues with reversals:

GET “OUT”! $200 (Alex said “out” would be at the end of each correct response): I just got 3 cases of pens & 6 cases of Scotch tape all for $20 in this type of liquidation sale

Erik was negged for “blow out” and Sara rebounded the expected “close out” with Erik getting a correct response at chat time.
I disagreed with that reversal. "Blow out" is a type of sale, just as "liquidation" is a type of sale. And a sale may be of both types simultaneously. But "blow out" is not a type of liquidation sale any more than "liquidation" is a type of blow out sale.