Wednesday, June 27, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, June 27, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by twelvefootboy »

Finally, an episode free of Canadian contestants with their funny money and good manners and national health care! MAGA!

I felt like Andrew redeemed himself and it's too bad he doesn't get to be a champ with a decent payday. But he was outplayed and them's the breaks :(. You know he had to be clinging to a thread of hope waiting for Scott's reveal.

Easy peasy FJ, but I would have been fearful that the answer needed to name the sport of golf, yet the competition is almost certainly not named "The Masters Golf thingie". I would almost risk putting "(golf)" as a parenthetical, but that seems risky. If I had time, I'd put "The Misogynist Bigoted Undeserving Elite Hunger Golf Games", but that is my annual off-topic rant. This troll doesn't need fed ;).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

40 R
DD: 2/3 (Quilting, William Wordsworth)
FJ: :(
LT: (Quilting), Hana, John Greenleaf Whittier, Bread and Butter

0/5 in Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Douglas Squasoni
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:48 pm
Easy peasy FJ, but I would have been fearful that the answer needed to name the sport of golf, yet the competition is almost certainly not named "The Masters Golf thingie". I would almost risk putting "(golf)" as a parenthetical, but that seems risky. If I had time, I'd put "The Misogynist Bigoted Undeserving Elite Hunger Golf Games", but that is my annual off-topic rant. This troll doesn't need fed ;).
Somebody else somewhere mentioned that they thought "golf" was possibly the intended answer, but I'm just not seeing it as a plausible interpretation of the question. What am I missing?
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

34 right.

Hero's Journey (4), Crafts & Hobbies (1), Allusions (4), Way Back in the 60's, Man (4), Little Mistake (3), Federal Case (3)
15 Minutes of Fame (3), 4-Letter U.S. Cities (3), Poet-pourri (4), Math Words (1), Not in Rock & Roll Hall of Fame (3), Alliteration (1)

No Lach Trash; Daily Double: quilting

Instaget FJ.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:58 pm ...Somebody else somewhere mentioned that they thought "golf" was possibly the intended answer, but I'm just not seeing it as a plausible interpretation of the question. What am I missing?
The clue asks for an "annual event". Golf isn't an annual event, but the Masters is.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

hscer wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:07 pm Ah, so peach was the key word. I thought the Masters was older than that though. But nothing else came to mind, so that's a get.
A key word, though its importance escaped me first time around. Wasn't nearly necessary, though, because what sport is played among lots of trees, and of its big annual events, which one is on the same course every year?
I'm smart and I want respect.
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

Judges: In "Math Words", "P: Scheme up this figure with a polygon for a base & triangles with a common vertex for faces"

"polyhedron" instead of "pyramid"?

Doesn't fit the "Scheme up" clue, but works otherwise.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:35 pm Also don't recognize Radiohead
You'd probably hate Kid A, although you might be okay with the instrumental "Treefingers." I don't know why, but that's my instinct.
mikebdoss wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:07 am Judges: In "Math Words", "P: Scheme up this figure with a polygon for a base & triangles with a common vertex for faces"

I think you'd get a BMS.

Judging by Andrew's FJ wagers in his two games, I think his second place strategy was, based on how he felt about the category, either to bet everything or just cover third place. There's still not enough information to answer the question I raised in Tuesday's thread.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

mikebdoss wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:07 am Judges: In "Math Words", "P: Scheme up this figure with a polygon for a base & triangles with a common vertex for faces"

It's what I said, so I'm not sure I can give an unbiased opinion.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

The Vail resort company recently bought the mountain in my hometown - not sure I would've gotten that DD otherwise.

Didn't need it, but I thought that was a clever TOM for Final by including the "peach" - leads to Georgia, sports event, Masters. I'll take a sports Final over a movie Final every day!
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Yeah, so far this "just put anything down for FJ!" technique isn't working for me.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:16 am Yeah, so far this "just put anything down for FJ!" technique isn't working for me.
That's because you're just supposed to put something down - not anything - i..e, something at least vaguely related to the category.

Anyway, another good group of contestants; Amy seemed fun and seemed like she was just a fraction short on the buzzer. If she was frustrated, she certainly didn't show it. We seem to be in a phase of happy contestants having a good time.
billiej

Post by billiej »

With my complete sports ignorance, I'm just happy to have realized it was golf. But not knowing one tournament from another, said US Open. :oops:
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Another hint in the wording was azalea. It points to the time of year when azaleas are in bloom, which is to say April to early May. Of course, this relies in knowing enough about the scheduling of the majors to know that the Masters occurs early in the season, so it likely only helps those who would otherwise get the question anyway.

On a vaguely related note, one of the very early uses of HDTV in the US was a CBS broadcast of a Japanese HDTV feed from the Masters. When we tuned into it and saw the clarity with which the azaleas on Augusta National were transmitted we were instantly sold on HDTV. That's ancient history now, and I am shocked these days when I tune into a SDTV channel and see how bad the picture is.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Lefty wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:42 am
hscer wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:07 pm Ah, so peach was the key word. I thought the Masters was older than that though. But nothing else came to mind, so that's a get.
A key word, though its importance escaped me first time around. Wasn't nearly necessary, though, because what sport is played among lots of trees, and of its big annual events, which one is on the same course every year?
The Players Championship is played on the same course each year.
OCSam
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

It's funny that I was more confident in my answer for FJ! yesterday, but today is the one I got right. I got Masters from golf all right, but I wasn't sure I had the right sport in the first place, but whatever, a get's a get :lol:!
Spiny Norman
Valued Contributor

Post by Spiny Norman »

This FJ! would have been a dream for me. In 2014 I was a contestant on The Experts Show as an expert on . . . The Masters.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Woof wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:56 am
That's ancient history now, and I am shocked these days when I tune into a SDTV channel and see how bad the picture is.
Ditto this. They are UNWATCHABLE!! I bought my late father and his lady friend 43" LCD TVs 4 years ago and set them up but didn't have high def on her satellite. They both raved about the great picture and I just cringed. And not at the Lawrence Welk :lol: , just the blown up bad picture itself. I never ordered her new receiver and my dad left his on SDTV most of the time.

I just recently discovered myself that METV broadcasts high def old B&W shows and we've been ROTFL at old Beverley Hillbillies episodes. It's amazing to me to see the sharpness of these pictures and to imagine shooting all those single camera 35 mm scenes.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

My impression is that SD picture quality is worse on HDTVs not set up for HD than on older SDTVs, if that makes sense. If you get an HDTV and use it in SD it looks awful. At least, that's how it was when my mother got an HDTV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:39 pm
Woof wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:56 am
That's ancient history now, and I am shocked these days when I tune into a SDTV channel and see how bad the picture is.
Ditto this. They are UNWATCHABLE!! I bought my late father and his lady friend 43" LCD TVs 4 years ago and set them up but didn't have high def on her satellite. They both raved about the great picture and I just cringed. And not at the Lawrence Welk :lol: , just the blown up bad picture itself. I never ordered her new receiver and my dad left his on SDTV most of the time.

I just recently discovered myself that METV broadcasts high def old B&W shows and we've been ROTFL at old Beverley Hillbillies episodes. It's amazing to me to see the sharpness of these pictures and to imagine shooting all those single camera 35 mm scenes.
Depends on the source and on the electronics used to put the picture on the TV. We had a bunch of VHS camcorder tapes of family movies dating back to 1981 -- kids taking first steps, visits to Disney, standard family stuff. About 10 years ago I bought a DVR with editing functions and a DVD burner, and transferred the VHS to standard def DVD by simply hooking up the VCR to the DVR with RCA composite cables. They're eminently watchable, and they actually look pretty darn good (though in 4:3 format) when played on a 60-inch TV with a blu-ray player that upconverts to pseudo-HD.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.