Monday, July 16, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, July 16, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7806, 2018-07-16

CONTESTANTS
Rebecca Smith, a certified massage therapist from Minneapolis, Minnesota
Niraj Dhami, an I.T. project manager from Redondo Beach, California
Michelle Cabral, an elementary school music teacher from Toronto, Ontario, Canada (whose 2-day cash winnings total $36,600)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Hello, my friends. The start of another exciting week here on Jeopardy!. Rebecca and Niraj, good to have you joining us. Michelle, nice to see you again. Let's go to work. Here are the categories for you in the first round today...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
DOUBLE-LETTER STATE CAPITALS (3/4, including 1 missed Daily Double)
MOVIE MAGIC (5/5)
4, 4 (4/5) (Alex: Each correct response will be two words of four letters each.)
BIRTHDAY PARTY (5/5)
CAKE (5/5)
THE BOUNCY CASTLE (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Niraj: 12 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Rebecca: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Michelle: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Niraj: $3,000
Rebecca: $2,800
Michelle: $2,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Rebecca Smith is a massage therapist from Minnesota who has suddenly started taking up archery.

Rebecca: Yes.

Alex: Reserve archery?

Rebecca: Actually, traditional recurve archery.

Alex: Oh, recurve archery.

Rebecca: Yes, and my husband and I are--my husband, Bill, and I are especially enjoying field archery, which is a hike in the woods with various shots at various distances over the course of the hike.

Alex: Now, that's a traditional bow and arrow. Not a compound bow and arrow?

Rebecca: Correct.

Alex: Yeah. Okay.

Alex: Niraj Dhami is from Redondo Beach, California. This man enjoys television watching so much, he has two TVs side by side in your living room?

Niraj: Absolutely, yeah.

Alex: What is the purpose of this?

Niraj: Oh, if there are two games on, I won't be able to watch both of them if there's just one TV. But one person said, "But what if there's three games on?" I kicked them out of my house. I don't need that negativity.

Alex: Good for you. Big sports fan also.

Alex: Michelle Cabral from Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Coaches a junior trivia team. They must be very proud of you so far on Jeopardy!

Michelle: They were pretty excited when they found out that I was gonna be on the show.

Alex: But you're the coach. Do you feel a little extra pressure because you're here and you coach them?

Michelle: Well, it was fun during the tournament--it was a couple months ago. During the tournament, the teachers can actually come in to be the quizmasters and read, and so I got to play Alex Trebek for the day.

Alex: Okay, all right. Good.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Niraj found the Daily Double on the 29th clue. Michelle had $2,200, Niraj had $6,800, and Rebecca was at $4,400. Niraj wagered $3,200.

DOUBLE-LETTER STATE CAPITALS $800: Named for a president, it was laid out by Daniel M. Boone, son of the famous frontiersman
(Alex: Niraj?)
(Niraj: Uh...)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
4, 4 $400: It's Marine Corps basic training

THE BOUNCY CASTLE $600: Chateau Gaillard overlooks the Seine, but it was built by this leonine ruler who lost it to the French in 1204

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Rebecca: $4,400
Niraj: $3,600
Michelle: $2,200
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, July 16, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
DESIGN ACROSS AMERICA (4/5) (Alex: Each clue will be delivered or presented by reporters from our affiliated stations.)
WORLD WAR II SLANG (3/5)
GEORGE WASHINGTON CARVER (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
IT'S ALWAYS "ME", "ME" (5/5)
GERMAN WRITERS (1/3, including 1 missed Daily Double)
CELEBRITY POSSESSIVES (5/5) (Alex: Let me give you an example of that. "Short poems by a female country singer." The correct response would be "What is LeAnn's rhymes?")

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Michelle: 10 R, 1 W
Rebecca: 8 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Niraj: 4 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Rebecca snagged the next Daily Double on the 23rd clue. Michelle had $12,600, Niraj had $7,600, and Rebecca was at $11,200. Rebecca wagered $3,000.

GEORGE WASHINGTON CARVER $1200: Among his teachers, Carver counted James Wilson & Henry C. Wallace, who went on to be secretaries of this department

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Niraj who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 28th clue. Michelle had $14,200, Niraj had $6,800, and Rebecca was at $14,200. Niraj wagered $3,200.

GERMAN WRITERS $1600: E.T.A. Hoffmann's tale entitled this device "and the Mouse King" evolved into a popular ballet
(Niraj: What is the mousetrap?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WORLD WAR II SLANG $400: A gravel agitator was one of these foot soldiers

WORLD WAR II SLANG $800: A devil's piano was one of these automatic weapons

DESIGN ACROSS AMERICA $1200: (Hi, I'm Erin Christiansen from KGUN-9.) Many of the stone bridges of Sabino Canyon were built as part of the New Deal by this agency whose "W" stands for "Works"
(Michelle: What is the PWA?)

GEORGE WASHINGTON CARVER $400: In 1896 this man offered Carver a job teaching at the Tuskegee Institute

GERMAN WRITERS $2000: In the drama "The Deputy", Rolf Hochhuth accused the XII pope of this name of tolerating Nazi policies
(Rebecca: Who is Leo?)
(Niraj: Who is Clement?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Rebecca: $14,200
Michelle: $14,200
Niraj: $3,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
EXPLORERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Prisoner's dilemma.
Rebecca: Do you trust Michelle? Then bet $0.
Michelle: Don't trust Rebecca? Then bet $14,200 and hope for an easy Final Jeopardy! clue.
Niraj: If Rebecca and Michelle both wager all $14,200 and give incorrect responses, you'll wind up the winner so long as you don't bet more than $3,599. Since your score is less than half either of theirs (meaning you can't overtake them by wagering money) and your win is predicated on both of them getting Final wrong (meaning that, chances are, you won't get it right either), a wager of $0 seems wisest.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1513 the son of a local chief told this man, when you cross the mountains, "You shall see another sea"

FINAL SCORES
Niraj: $3,600 + $3,599 = $7,199 (Who is Balboa) (2nd place: $2,000)
Michelle: $14,200 - $4,107 = $10,093 (Who is Jolliet?) (3-day champion: $46,693)
Rebecca: $14,200 - $14,200 = $0 (Who is Cortes) (3rd place: $1,000)
(Alex: [To Niraj] The two people were standing in Panama, and you are right. Looking at the Pacific, or were going to look at the Pacific Ocean.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $5,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Michelle: $14,200, 15 R, 2 W
Rebecca: $12,400, 17 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Niraj: $10,000, 16 R, 4 W (including 2 DDs)
Combined Coryat: $36,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Rebecca: 17/59 = .288
Niraj: 17/60 = .283
Michelle: 15/58 = .259
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
CAKE $600: There's a sculpture material in the name of this kind of cake seen here

BIRTHDAY PARTY $600: Cheers to this gold-medal gymnast who blew out 21 candles in March of 2018

BIRTHDAY PARTY $800: Happy 200th in 2018 to this man who was born in slavery but didn't stay in it; not knowing the date, he chose Feb. 14
(Niraj: Who's Scott?)

BIRTHDAY PARTY $1000: In January 2018, old pal Jimmy Carter turned out to help celebrate this former senator & veep's 90th birthday

4, 4 $800: It's the Alaskan seen here

4, 4 $1000: In 1848 Martin Van Buren was the presidential candidate of this party that opposed slavery in western territories
(Michelle: What is the Republican party?)

THE BOUNCY CASTLE $800: The Nazis made Saxony's Colditz Castle a prison; U.S. troops liberated it in April 1945 & in May, handed it over to this army
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

DESIGN ACROSS AMERICA $400: (Hi, I'm Shannon Hegy from WPRI-12.) Installed on three rivers in Providence, Waterfire was created by artist Barnaby Evans, who graduated from this nearby Ivy League school

DESIGN ACROSS AMERICA $800: (Hi, I'm Betty Davis from Local 10.) Built in 1939, the Carlyle Hotel in Miami Beach is a classic example of this 2-word architectural style characterized by clean, simple shapes with a streamlined look

DESIGN ACROSS AMERICA $1600: (I'm Ryan Field from New York's ABC-7.) A collaboration involving architecture; engineer & landscape, garden & lighting design, this is Manhattan's newest park

DESIGN ACROSS AMERICA $2000: (I'm Steve Hammond from WBOC.) The Gillis-Grier house in Salisbury, Maryland is Victorian in its 1887 time period... but its turrets & gables put it in the style named for this other queen of the early 1700s

CELEBRITY POSSESSIVES $800: "Mission: Impossible" star's pleasure trip aboard a boat
(Michelle: What is Tom's cruises? Cruise?)
(Alex: [overlapping] Nope. That's it, yeah.)

CELEBRITY POSSESSIVES $2000: Gracie Allen's husband's injuries
[Applause for Michelle running the category.]

GEORGE WASHINGTON CARVER $2000: Carver wasn't just about plants--in school he excelled in this field of mushrooms & fungi
(Alex: With less than a minute now.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Jefferson City
boot camp
Richard the Lionheart
Agriculture
the nutcracker
an infantryman
a machine gun
the WPA
Booker T. Washington
Pope Pius XII
Vasco Núñez de Balboa
marble
(Simone) Biles
(Frederick) Douglass
(Walter) Mondale
a king crab
the Free Soil party
the Red Army
Brown
Art Deco
the High Line
Queen Anne
Tom's cruise
George's burns
mycology
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
EXPLORERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1513 the son of a local chief told this man, when you cross the mountains, “you shall see another sea”

Michelle Cabral: 14200-4107=10093 (3x = $46,693)
Niraj Dhami: 3600+3599=7199
Rebecca Smith: 14200-14200=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
Balboa (Michelle – Jolliet) (Rebecca – Cortes)
Daily Doubles
Niraj: 6800-3200
Rebecca: 11200+3000
Niraj: 6800-3200 (2 clues worth $1200 remaining although likely to be the last clue of the round)

Coryats
Michelle: 14200
Niraj: 10000
Rebecca: 12400

Combined: 36,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Michelle: 2200
Niraj: 3600
Rebecca: 4400
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

No luck seeing the complete game yet as CBS broke in during the early airing for Trump & Putin speaking. During my next opportunity to see the game I had technical issues that cost me seeing the complete DJ! round.

At least I got the full FJ! round even if I don't know how the players got their scores. Alex dropped a hint that Niraj missed another FJ!, so perhaps that cost him the game if it was another big amount like his miss on DD1.

The FJ! clue seemed to be painting a clear picture where to go with the clue. From there it's only a matter of the right guy. I matched Niraj for getting it right while Michelle and Rebecca were not close to bringing a tiebreaker clue today between guesses and wagering.

Now we know tomorrow's game will feature 7 wins between two champs.

Edited to add: Now I've seen the complete game and Niraj cost himself the game by not solving DD3. Guess what Niraj will get for gag gifts at his next present-receiving opportunity?

My hearing must be going as I thought one of Michelle's responses was, "Arch Deco." The DJ! round was unlikely to be finished with the video category of five presenters.

Alex when revealing the DJ! catgories at WWII SLANG, "You're too young." :)

Nice work by Michelle to take her score from 6600 to 12600 after running CELEBRITY POSSESSIVES.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

John Keats owes Rebecca $27,400:
Much have I travell'd in the realms of gold,
And many goodly states and kingdoms seen;
Round many western islands have I been
Which bards in fealty to Apollo hold.
Oft of one wide expanse had I been told
That deep-brow'd Homer ruled as his demesne;
Yet did I never breathe its pure serene
Till I heard Chapman speak out loud and bold:
Then felt I like some watcher of the skies
When a new planet swims into his ken;
Or like stout Cortez when with eagle eyes
He star'd at the Pacific
—and all his men
Look'd at each other with a wild surmise—
Silent, upon a peak in Darien.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

Ahhhh the clue referenced the Isthmus of Panama once again. From there, it was a short jump to Balboa
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Thought about Magellan but went with Rocky for the solve.

Four state capitals are named for presidents. Knowing them can come in handy.

Yes, we had the possibility of a tie-breaker but I was pretty sure Michelle wasn't going to bet it all.
rmfromfla

Post by rmfromfla »

As for those political ads, down here across the border, we're subjected to the Bama ads, and to a lesser extent right now, the Florida ones....rest assured, Bama will crank the machine up again, come mid/late September!
:shock:
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Instant get FJ. Funny that one of the contestants had the same last name as another noteworthy explorer.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

I hesitated, because I felt the date was too late for Balboa, but I couldn't think of anything better.
Teems with quiet fun.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Trash pickup: boot camp, Richard I, Jeff City DD, machine gun, WPA, Booker T, Pius XII, nutcracker DD. Instaget FJ. :mrgreen:
I hope there are some archivists available to post the game tomorrow, as it's pre-empted for the All-Star Game. :?:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:56 pm Yes, we had the possibility of a tie-breaker but I was pretty sure Michelle wasn't going to bet it all.
I would have staked my life that she made the wrong wager.

I went with Cortes.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

Well...one terrible Chopped Grill Masters sob story and several Homicide Hunter: Lt. Joe Kenda episodes later, I somehow return from the surface.

Yeah...Suzanne still doesn't seem to impress us pretty much. And for a teacher, this baffles us. Michelle is basically playing bungee jumping in a volcano. I usually would expect a teacher to know how to add, especially after watching her first two games.

First game: Makes a terrible bet that would have assured her to lose to Wes and to Johanna.

Second game: Makes an even worse bet that would have assured her to lose to Bryan.

Third game: Finally knows how to bet properly, despite in a tie situation where it could have gone either way.

Poor Niraj...it must have hurt to miss both DDs when he had his chance to win due to his sole get. If he had got one of his DDs right, perhaps the outcome of the game could have gone better? We'll never know.

But thinking ahead to tomorrow's match, Ryan Fenster is waiting in the wing. He's probably out for blood after coming back for 5 months due to a ROAMIN' CATHOLICS clue that was ruled incorrect.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MTGcollegestudent wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:44 pm Well...one terrible Chopped Grill Masters sob story and several Homicide Hunter: Lt. Joe Kenda episodes later, I somehow return from the surface.

Yeah...Suzanne still doesn't seem to impress us pretty much. And for a teacher, this baffles us. Michelle is basically playing bungee jumping in a volcano. I usually would expect a teacher to know how to add, especially after watching her first two games.

First game: Makes a terrible bet that would have assured her to lose to Wes and to Johanna.

Second game: Makes an even worse bet that would have assured her to lose to Bryan.

Third game: Finally knows how to bet properly, despite in a tie situation where it could have gone either way.

Poor Niraj...it must have hurt to miss both DDs when he had his chance to win due to his sole get. If he had got one of his DDs right, perhaps the outcome of the game could have gone better? We'll never know.

But thinking ahead to tomorrow's match, Ryan Fenster is waiting in the wing. He's probably out for blood after coming back for 5 months due to a ROAMIN' CATHOLICS clue that was ruled incorrect.
Please be more respectful to the contestants than this.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MTGcollegestudent

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:52 pm
MTGcollegestudent wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:44 pm Well...one terrible Chopped Grill Masters sob story and several Homicide Hunter: Lt. Joe Kenda episodes later, I somehow return from the surface.

So much for returning here.

Yeah...describes my luck returning here.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Crossed off Magellan and picked Balboa. A tiebreaker would have been cool.

I liked the categories today. I missed mycology but I'll get that one next time. There was a cake category at a bar trivia a month ago and that really helped me on the cake category but I still missed red velvet. What was the movie with the red velvet cake?
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Didn't recognize anything in Magic or Castle. Cake seemed like a tough category too. Black forest?!

Ran the "Me Me" and Celebrity categories.

"Infantryman" seemed tough for the top box.

Yet again I blank on college in RI = Brown. Why couldn't they call it something like Baffleburg to make it Hawley-Smoot into my brain? :P

Pretty sure I've NHO the correct FJ! response.

Lach Trash: boot camp. Also got the Jefferson City DD
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

MTGcollegestudent wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:06 pm
MTGcollegestudent wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:44 pm Yeah...Suzanne still doesn't seem to impress us pretty much. And for a teacher, this baffles us.

Pronoun trouble?
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:44 pm Didn't recognize anything in Magic or Castle. Cake seemed like a tough category too. Black forest?!

Ran the "Me Me" and Celebrity categories.

"Infantryman" seemed tough for the top box.

Yet again I blank on college in RI = Brown. Why couldn't they call it something like Baffleburg to make it Hawley-Smoot into my brain? :P

Pretty sure I've NHO the correct FJ! response.

Lach Trash: boot camp. Also got the Jefferson City DD
I had never heard of Black forest cake, either. I negged with "German chocolate cake," though seeing the word "kirsch" in the clue realized I was wrong unless every German chocolate cake I had ever had was a bastardization of the real thing.
MTGcollegestudent

squarekara wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:47 pm
MTGcollegestudent wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:06 pm
MTGcollegestudent wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:44 pm Yeah...Suzanne still doesn't seem to impress us pretty much. And for a teacher, this baffles us.

Pronoun trouble?