Tuesday, January 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6287, 2012-01-10

CONTESTANTS
Jennifer Osorio, a librarian from Huntington Beach, California
Bryan Barnett, a military charter flight attendant from Potomac Falls, Virginia
Dan McShane, a baseball game logger from West Islip, New York (whose 2-day cash winnings total $24,400)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Welcome, ladies and gentlemen. We had a perfect example on yesterday's program, of how important it is in the first two rounds of play to earn as much money as possible. It gives you that kind of cushion. That affected Dan. Although he won just a little under $6,000, that was more money than anybody else had at the end of the game. What's gonna happen today as we welcome Jennifer and Bryan? Well, let's start finding out. Good luck, players. Here we go. Jeopardy! Round... and one Daily Double coming up in one of these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SLIM VOLUMES (3/4)
STATE OF THE UNION (5/5)
GOING TOO "FUR" (5/5)
IT MIGHT SURPRISE YOU (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
JONATHAN SWIFTIES (2/5)
COMIC STRIPS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dan: 12 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Bryan: 7 R, 1 W
Jennifer: 6 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Dan: $3,000
Jennifer: $2,400
Bryan: $2,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Jennifer Osorio is a librarian from California who spent a year in Mexico with her family. She was writing about luxury hotels while her husband was in small towns, sleeping on the floor, right?

Jennifer: Yes. We went to Mexico for a year with our son, who was 10 months old at the time--his name is Teo--and, uh, my husband Ted would go off to small mountain towns, 18-hour bus rides, end up sleeping on the floor. Then he'd come home, and I'd hand him the baby and say, "Sorry, I'm gonna go off and review a 5-star hotel in Zihuatanejo. Bye." [Laughs] It was hard. Somebody had to do it.

Alex: He must have r--he must have really enjoyed that.

Jennifer: Yeah.

Alex: Yeah. Okay.

Alex: Bryan Barnett, military charter flight attendant.

Bryan: Yeah.

Alex: Are we talking about charter airlines that fly our soldiers around the world, or are we talking about Department of Defense planes?

Bryan: It's a, uh, private company. Been in the business 60 years, flew my dad to Saigon in 1967, and, uh, now, uh, primarily, we take, uh, the troops in and out of Iraq and Afghanistan.

Alex: My recollection of these kinds of charter flights is that it's all one class of service, right?

Bryan: You got it. The officers hate that.

Alex: Aha. Okay.

[Laughter]

Alex: Dan McShane is our champion. He's kind of small, but he's a good swimmer...

Dan: [Shrugs] Yes.

Alex: And he made an impressive swim for charity once. What was it?

Dan: Right, about two summers ago, well, every summer, they have on Long Island, a, uh, swim across the Great South Bay for raising money for hospice care. So I did it, like, two summers ago. It's a 5 1/2-mile swim, and, uh, it took about 2 1/2 hours to do, but I was able to raise few thousand dollars for charity.

Alex: Good for you. That's great.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dan found the Daily Double on the 22nd clue. Dan had $4,800, Bryan had $1,400, and Jennifer was at $3,000. Dan wagered $1,200.

IT MIGHT SURPRISE YOU $1000: It's not one large bone below the waist, it's five bones: the coccyx, the ilium, the ischium, the pubis & the sacrum

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SLIM VOLUMES $600: You may want to enter this, a diet book & program by Barry Sears, who clarified with "Mastering" it

JONATHAN SWIFTIES $400: "Every man desires to live long, but no man would be" this
(Dan: What is immortal?)
(Jennifer: What is short?)

JONATHAN SWIFTIES $800: These, made by Parliament, "are like cobwebs, which may catch small flies, but let wasps and hornets break through"

JONATHAN SWIFTIES $1000: "A flea / Hath smaller fleas that on him prey; / And these have smaller still to bite 'em; / And so proceed" this endless way

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Dan: $7,200
Jennifer: $3,200
Bryan: $2,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ARCHITECTURE (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SOUNDS LIKE A CAPITAL CITY (3/5)
MOTORCYCLE MAKERS (1/3)
MISSING LINKS (5/5)
PLATE TECTONICS (2/2)
COMICS STRIP (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dan: 10 R, 4 W
Bryan: 6 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 2 W
Jennifer: 3 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 25
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Bryan snagged the next Daily Double on the 18th clue. Dan had $12,000, Bryan had $6,800, and Jennifer was at $7,200. Bryan wagered $4,000.

ARCHITECTURE $1200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew stands on the steps of the New York Stock Exchange.) The six Corinthian columns of the New York Stock Exchange facade are among the reasons the building is considered a masterpiece of this architectural style that drew inspiration from Greek & Roman models
(Bryan: [Punches fist in the air] Gah! Woo-hoo! This is gettin' fun.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SOUNDS LIKE A CAPITAL CITY $400: To cause to undergo combustion
(Alex: B-U-R-N for combustion, B-E-R-N for the capital city.)

SOUNDS LIKE A CAPITAL CITY $1600: Almost half of north Americans have this kind of blood

ARCHITECTURE $1600: This type of window that opens by means of a crank rhymes with a lower story of a building
(Alex: It rhymes with basement because it's a [*].)

ARCHITECTURE $2000: After WWI he became director of the Grand Ducal art school in Weimar; in 1925 he moved the school to Dessau
(Dan: Who is Mies van der Rohe?)
(Bryan: Who is Corbusier?)

MOTORCYCLE MAKERS $800: Baseball's Ichiro must be aware that this maker's B-King is the "rowdy alter ego" to its Hayabusa
(Bryan: What is Kawasaki?)
(Dan: What is Honda?)
(Alex: With less than a minute to go.)

MOTORCYCLE MAKERS $1200: "Let the good times roll" with this company's supersport cycle, the Ninja ZX-14
(Alex: Now's the time for [*].)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Dan: $10,800
Bryan: $8,000
Jennifer: $7,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
RULERS IN HISTORY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Dan: Wager $5,201 to cover Bryan.
Bryan: You ought to wager to cover Jennifer, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings by betting all $8,000. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $6,400 (to shut out Jennifer) or less than $2,400 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Jennifer). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Dan.
Jennifer: Consider risking between $801 and $1,600. This will top a $0 wager by Bryan while still beating Dan on the Triple Stumper (should Dan wager to cover Bryan's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Born in 1672 & named for a saint, in 1703 he founded a city whose name represents both of them

FINAL SCORES
Jennifer: $7,200 + $7,199 = $14,399 (Who is Peter the Great) (2nd place: $2,000)
Bryan: $8,000 - $8,000 = $0 (Who is so) (3rd place: $1,000)
Dan: $10,800 + $5,201 = $16,001 (Who is Peter the Great?) (3-day champion: $40,401)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Dan: $10,600, 22 R (including 1 DD), 5 W
Jennifer: $7,200, 9 R, 2 W
Bryan: $5,200, 13 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Combined Coryat: $23,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Dan: 23/59 = .390
Bryan: 13/59 = .220
Jennifer: 10/58 = .172
Team: 46/63 = .730

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
GOING TOO "FUR" $1000: Popular composition from around 1810 heard here

COMIC STRIPS $200: Aaugh! This comic strip character was torn between a summer camp flame named Peggy Jean & the little red-haired girl
(Alex: [*], yes our hero!)

IT MIGHT SURPRISE YOU $600: Contrary to popular belief, this critter does not commit mass suicide in times of overpopulation

IT MIGHT SURPRISE YOU $800: This exhaustive reference work first published in 1768 is not British; it has been American-owned for over 100 years
(Bryan: What is the Oxford English Dictionary?)

JONATHAN SWIFTIES $600: "Proper words in proper places make the true definition of" this--it's elementary, according to Strunk & White
(Alex: Yes, with a minute to go.)

SLIM VOLUMES $800: This chef followed up his "Now Eat This!" cookbook with "Now Eat This! Diet"
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

MISSING LINKS $1200: Mobile
____
economics
(Jennifer: I have no idea.)
(Alex: Aren't you glad you rang in, and lost, uh, a lot of money?)

SOUNDS LIKE A CAPITAL CITY $2000: Is old-time ballplayer Yogi able to?
(Dan: What... is... I don't know.)

ARCHITECTURE $800: Virginia's Shirley Plantation has a "hanging" one of these that climbs 3 stories without any visible means of support
(Dan: What is a garden?)

PLATE TECTONICS $800: In 2006 scientists argued that the westward trend of continents was due partly to these shifts in sea levels caused by the Moon
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
the pelvis
The Zone
old
laws
ad infinitum
neoclassic
burn
Type A
casement
Walter Gropius
Suzuki
Kawasaki
Peter the Great
"Für Elise"
Charlie Brown
a lemming
the Encyclopaedia Britannica
style
(Rocco) DiSpirito
home
Canberra
a staircase
the tides
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by JFanForever »

Got 12 right in total today. Got six correct in each round. This is really tough. I absolutely hate the word categories like the ones in DJ. I just need to keep at it because I would love to be on someday. I don't know how these people do it.
kebertxela
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by kebertxela »

Please keep updating the J! archive before 4:30 central as I like seeing the questions before watching the show as was done today. Makes me enjoy the show more.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

kebertxela wrote:Please keep updating the J! archive before 4:30 central as I like seeing the questions before watching the show as was done today. Makes me enjoy the show more.
First of all, we're volunteers. If you start paying me, I'll gladly do it when you want.

Second of all, I'm sure most of us Archivists don't even get J! aired before 4:30 Central (I get it at 4:30 and 7:30 Central, so I can't even update the Archive until 5 at the earliest (assuming, of course, I can type the clues in real time while it airs, and that I'm not working that day as I get home at 5:00 every day (I have to watch J! on tape).

There are a few Archivists that can post it early due to when J! airs, but that's a rare situation. Constructive criticism about things we can control are appreciated, complaints about things that are out of our hands aren't.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
lisa0012
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by lisa0012 »

It did seem like an odd board, with the swifties in J! and the missing links and the sounds like a capital in DJ! Those, plus a fluff entertainment category (may others found it hard, but I easily ran it), and DJ! just didn't seem like it had its normal flow. I did enjoy Bryan's personality, though, which I thought brought some quirky fun to it.

I am ashamed to admit that I was over a thousand years off on my FJ! WAG, Constantine. Never quite made it to Russia.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

I'm pleased I was able to work out the correct FJ response with time to spare.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

FJ Category: Rulers in History

Born in 1672 & named for a saint, in 1703, he founded a city whose name represents both of them.
Spoiler
Who is Peter the Great? Bryan wrote "so--"
Spoiler
Dan: 10,800 + 5,201 = $16,001
Bryan: 8,000 - 8,000 = 0
Jennifer: 7,200 + 7,199 = 14,399
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Another somewhat ugly DJ round. That Sounds like Capitals category...UGH. Type A? Can Berra?!? I hate these writers sometimes.

Instaget FJ. Probably would've WAGged Peter off the year alone, saint + city was probably one TOM too many.

Hope Dan makes it to 5 days; even with a 4th win, I'm not sure his money total would hold up
Snaxx
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Snaxx »

xxaaaxx wrote:That Sounds like Capitals category...UGH. Type A? Can Berra?!? I hate these writers sometimes.
I think they should...
Spoiler
Bern
... that whole category. Or "Can" (meaning Fire) it.
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

xxaaaxx wrote:Another somewhat ugly DJ round. That Sounds like Capitals category...UGH. Type A? Can Berra?!? I hate these writers sometimes.
I bet any Aussie watching the show cringed at Can Berra considering the proper pronunciation of Canberra.
Doug527
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Doug527 »

xxaaaxx wrote:Another somewhat ugly DJ round. That Sounds like Capitals category...UGH. Type A? Can Berra?!? I hate these writers sometimes.
Can Berra was kind of lame (I was hoping would someone would just respond "Can Berra?" so as to phrase in the form of a question without saying "What is..." but it's a big gamble in DJ! for $2k), but Type A was probably one of my favorite clues in recent memory. I thought it was very clever. I despised the Jonathan Swifties category...but I think that's because until the $800 clue I was thinking they were Tom Swifties. Oops.
Lifelong enthusiast. Season 28 contestant.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

xxaaaxx wrote:That Sounds like Capitals category...UGH. Type A? Can Berra?!? I hate these writers sometimes.
I rather enjoyed it, even if "Canberra" was somewhat mispronounced (emphasis should be on the first syllable). ETA: Looks like I got beat to that observation while I was typing this. Doug: Love it!

Dan is shaping up to be a fairly competent champ. Bryan was high spirited and fun to watch, but sadly he fell victim to the "don't sass Alex in any way" curse.

Question: Should Bryan have been negged when he responded "Who is Cohen?" It's my impression that that particular actor's surname is "Baron Cohen," and the "Cohen" response is rather like responding "Who is Smith?" for Michael Nesmith.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I also didn't like the "Sounds Like a Capital" category. This was another board that I didn't think was very good.

FJ was an instant get because they used a similar clue for one of the FJs in Keith Williams' college tournament. I think that I have seen them use a similar clue in other games, too.
Tehshigelisok
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by Tehshigelisok »

18/29, 8/25.

I bombed Jonathan Swift (I, too, was thinking Tom Swifties at first), but did really well elsewhere. "Fur" was an easy run, with Cagney and Doonesbury costing me runs in those categories. Doonesbury was always a strip I never paid attention to, but:

THEY HAD A CLUE ABOUT BLOOM COUNTY!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Sorry.

DJ! was just rocky. My sister knew Hangover because she and mom were watching it.

Count me in as someone who terribly overcomplicated the Burn/Bern clue. Ignite? Incinerate? Nope, neither of those sound like capitals... but what else has the same meaning?

Absolutely lost on FJ! too. St. Petersburg briefly entered my mind, but I couldn't think of any ruler named Peter.

ETA: Didn't the Cohen/Baron Cohen thing come up before? What was their ruling then?
Really, I'm TenPoundHammer. Same as always.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I have original strips of Bloom County, Doonesbury, and The Far Side. They hit two out of three.

Not exactly an instaget, but Peter came pretty quickly.

He's a professional baseball logger, and he didn't realize that Ichiro's last name is the same as a motorcycle manufacturer?!?!??!!? Oy vey!
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

Not that it mattered, but wow, MAJOR overwager by 3rd place there. 801-1600 ensures you win on a sole get or triple stumper.

In addition to the standard 2nd place overwager, of course.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Capital City was a terrible category. Manila was one everyone should have thought of immediately.
I hated the Comic Strips category but enjoyed the Comics Strip

I really would have loved to have seen more of the Plates Tectonics category. Guessing there is an answer/clue involving S.A. Fault

Overall, I did really well in this episode. :) and I wouldn't say the FJ was a toughie(from Trebek).

First, "saint" is given in the clue and even excluding that, how many cities(should be major, port, well-known) have a Christened name in them?

We can omits the Alexandria's and leave us with the Peter/Petr, John/Johann/Juan/Jean, Paul/Saul, Charles/Carlos. It's quite manageable once you have thought it.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

alietr wrote:He's a professional baseball logger, and he didn't realize that Ichiro's last name is the same as a motorcycle manufacturer?!?!??!!? Oy vey!
You can tell he knew it one second after his incorrect answer left his mouth. He groaned before he was ruled, I think.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

FJ may not have been an insta-get, but it was awfully close. I saw the clues and thought, "Peter, Peter, Peter," and right as the music started "Peter the Great" came to me.

Did anyone else pre-call "Fur Elise" after the clue was read but before the music started?