Jeopardy All-Star Games

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Jeopardy All-Star Games

Post by Robert K S »

Do we know/can anyone reveal the exact player placements (left/center/right)?
NoWhammies10 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:04 pm

Code: Select all

Colby Burnett  	        SJ
Pam Mueller (5) 	FJ
Alan Lin (8)	        DJ

Buzzy Cohen	        DJ
Alex Jacob (1)	        SJ
Jennifer Giles (12)	FJ

Brad Rutter	        SJ
Larissa Kelly (6) 	DJ
David Madden (7)	FJ
Additionally, Team Brad revealed their Game 2 lineup as follows:

Code: Select all

Brad Rutter	        DJ
Larissa Kelly (6) 	FJ
David Madden (7)	SJ
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:32 pm Do we know/can anyone reveal the exact player placements (left/center/right)?
I'll do it in spoilers just in case someone really wants to know nothing ahead of time before watching later:
Spoiler

Alex in the champ's spot
Colby in the middle
Brad at spot 3

In expecting no changes tomorrow then:
Buzzy at the champ's spot
Alan in the middle
Larissa at 3

Leaving for the FJ! round:
Jennifer 1
Pam 2
David 3
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Thanks. Do the all-star players get introduced with occupations and hometowns, or some other blurb like in the celebrity matches ("He's won over four million dollars and has never been beaten by a human...") or...?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:50 pm Thanks. Do the all-star players get introduced with occupations and hometowns, or some other blurb like in the celebrity matches ("He's won over four million dollars and has never been beaten by a human...") or...?
It's more like the
Spoiler
latter although it's the six captains only. It's not at the start as Johnny's opening has the 18 in their funereal best with the intimidating walk-in.

For the non-captains playing today it's a combination of a quick clip from the draft, a soundbite from the captain and words from Sarah.

When play is ready to begin with the contestants in place it's Alex who introduces them and that is when the graphic for the player name is shown. You know where to go to see it early if you choose.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I haven't looked at the rules since I figure they'll explain them tonight. Will there be wagering involved? Because my one piece of advice to Brad would be: Let someone else wager. Preferably Alex Jacob.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

It just occurred to me today that the player you want answering final Jeopardy might not be the player you want making the strategic/wagering decision. It made me wonder if the players are separated/sequestered from their own teammates between rounds. My guess would be that this is likely the case. If the player who played double Jeopardy got to talk to their teammate who is coming in to take on final Jeopardy, they could give them advice or instructions on what to wager. That would seem against the spirit of the game as they wouldn’t really be “playing” final Jeopardy. Obviously they could discuss strategies and scenarios before the games but my guess is at the end of double Jeopardy one group is led offstage and the other group is led on stage with no interaction allowed. Then once the new players are out, show the final Jeopardy category and proceed to wagers etc.

I also wonder if players are watching the rounds they’re not involved in. I assume that they are but I don’t know if it should obviously be the case. Occasionally we will have a final Jeopardy on something like Irish authors and someone will post “I ruled out Oscar Wilde because he was referenced in a clue during the game.” These cases might be rare but it would be unusual to have someone playing final Jeopardy who did not actually see the game leading up to it, right?
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:46 pm It just occurred to me today that the player you want answering final Jeopardy might not be the player you want making the strategic/wagering decision. It made me wonder if the players are separated/sequestered from their own teammates between rounds. My guess would be that this is likely the case. If the player who played double Jeopardy got to talk to their teammate who is coming in to take on final Jeopardy, they could give them advice or instructions on what to wager. That would seem against the spirit of the game as they wouldn’t really be “playing” final Jeopardy. Obviously they could discuss strategies and scenarios before the games but my guess is at the end of double Jeopardy one group is led offstage and the other group is led on stage with no interaction allowed. Then once the new players are out, show the final Jeopardy category and proceed to wagers etc.

I also wonder if players are watching the rounds they’re not involved in. I assume that they are but I don’t know if it should obviously be the case. Occasionally we will have a final Jeopardy on something like Irish authors and someone will post “I ruled out Oscar Wilde because he was referenced in a clue during the game.” These cases might be rare but it would be unusual to have someone playing final Jeopardy who did not actually see the game leading up to it, right?
The non-playing members of the teams in the game were sitting in a prominent viewing spot. So, the answer to your second question is that they do get to see their teammates play. Because of the WC situation, players from the other teams were banished to the Green Room during the game. I'm guessing that in Match 2, though, players from Match 1 will be permitted, or even expected, to watch.

Since they're sitting there in view of the playing person, could a system of hand signals be worked out for wagering advice? Although I haven't posted much about it recently, those who know me would probably want my wagering advice though they may or may not want me actually responding to FJ! However, I think that would be against the spirit of the game and that TPTB would frown on such a strategy. There are two key parts to FJ: wagering and responding. I'd think that TPTB would view behaving otherwise as a form of "cheating" or, at least, "against the spirit of the game". So, we agree.
Last edited by slam on Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

My understanding is that the teams would meet to discuss FJ wagering.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:28 pm My understanding is that the teams would meet to discuss FJ wagering.
If that's true (and I have no reason to doubt you), then TPTB decided to do it that way. It's their game and they make the rules.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Right, their game, their rules. But I am inclined to agree that the two aspects of Final ought to be inseparable and if one is played by only one player then the other should be, too.

If teams actually got a chance to consult after seeing the Final category, that means they could also play mental Marktiple choice pre-clue to give the representative player a potentially narrowed selection of response choices. At that point the representative isn't really playing Final alone at all.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:42 pm Right, their game, their rules. But I am inclined to agree that the two aspects of Final ought to be inseparable and if one is played by only one player then the other should be, too.

If teams actually got a chance to consult after seeing the Final category, that means they could also play mental Marktiple choice pre-clue to give the representative player a potentially narrowed selection of response choices. At that point the representative isn't really playing Final alone at all.
Good point.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:42 pm Right, their game, their rules. But I am inclined to agree that the two aspects of Final ought to be inseparable and if one is played by only one player then the other should be, too.

From what I was told, the players were allowed to consult on the wager, but they were also monitored to ensure that only wagering strategy was discussed.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

I kind of wish they'd do that, to be honest. It would make it a genuine team effort for the final showdown.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:33 pm

From what I was told, the players were allowed to consult on the wager, but they were also monitored to ensure that only wagering strategy was discussed.
In which case, if I'm ever on the show I'll ask to bring a caddy along to discuss wagering strategy and what club to use on my opponents.
OCSam
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Decided to wait til Friday to watch the first three installments of the first match in one go. Too much chatter by @buzztronics and @austintylerro on Twitter, so I had to mute them to avoid spoilers!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:33 pm

If this is the case then I agree with it. If they really want this to be a team thing, then letting the team discuss wagering strategy makes sense.
imperpay
Zero-Day Champion

Post by imperpay »

I'm mildly put out. The J! Fantasy League scoreboard
posted on Thursday morning (so after the J! round of
match 1) is full of spoilers. It shows the "scores" (entries
earned) of all nine players who played in match 1, all the
way through Day 2. So, do not go there if you do not wish
to see spoilers.

I've complained to the management.

-Imp
---------------------------------
And furthermore, I don't like your trousers.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

imperpay wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:13 pm I'm mildly put out. The J! Fantasy League scoreboard
posted on Thursday morning (so after the J! round of
match 1) is full of spoilers. It shows the "scores" (entries
earned) of all nine players who played in match 1, all the
way through Day 2. So, do not go there if you do not wish
to see spoilers.

I've complained to the management.

-Imp
---------------------------------
And furthermore, I don't like your trousers.
In their defence, when they tell people to "go to jeopardy dot com" for content, and it's not up when the show airs in a viewer's area, they get inundated by "You told us to go to the website and it's not there, what's wrong with you" complaints.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

slam wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:27 pmSince they're sitting there in view of the playing person, could a system of hand signals be worked out for wagering advice? Although I haven't posted much about it recently, those who know me would probably want my wagering advice though they may or may not want me actually responding to FJ! However, I think that would be against the spirit of the game and that TPTB would frown on such a strategy. There are two key parts to FJ: wagering and responding. I'd think that TPTB would view behaving otherwise as a form of "cheating" or, at least, "against the spirit of the game". So, we agree.
Now I'm imagining Brad furiously trying to spell out "The Count of Monte Cristo" in sign language.