Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by seaborgium »

Well, that was good timing; pub quiz just had a question asking for the only two people to
Spoiler
win two Nobel Prizes in the same category. I only had one, but it was one more than my team would have had if I hadn't watched Millionaire today.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

John Bardeen
Spoiler
cheezguyty wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:13 am
morbeedo wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:53 pm Some initial thoughts on my game
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:01 pm Oh, man - you stressed me out at John Bardeen! I did think Hans Bethe had a pair of physics Nobels as well
The $10K question hit me like a ton of bricks. Never heard of John Bardeen
Bardeen and his two Nobels were mentioned in a game thread by MattKnowles last year...and it was a reply to one of your posts!: viewtopic.php?p=263071#p263071 :P :)
Haha, after my game, I did in fact perform a search for Bardeen here and on J-Archive (just 2 hits!) and I landed on that post. Didn't stick obviously, but I remember missing that DD on transistors
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:01 pm Oh, man - you stressed me out at
Spoiler
John Bardeen! I did think Hans Bethe had a pair of physics Nobels as well.
OK, the cat thing is hilarious! But then, our 3 outside cats each have their own pet heating pad, turndown maid service, and a space heater running in their little cat outbuilding. So, yes, sadly, me and twelvefootgirl could be a target demographic for your product!

I chose correctly on the Senators, but would have been pissed at the 50/50 because of course I knew it was not the two they removed.

Thanks, Mark for uploading. I set my DVR, but it plans to record the 11/13 episode on 11/15, so I don't know if it is on an alternative season or what in my market.

Hoping to see that cat furniture company get a nice start!
Glad I didn't have a mouthful of something when our friend said "I feel like I'm on Shark Tank" to Chris Harrison. Great response to host teasing.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:06 pm
dinghammer wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:52 pm I fast-forwarded through the rest of the episode looking for a guy with a big red nose, but I didn't see one.
Spoiler
I kid, I kid. Now where are the cat photos?
LOL. Find me on Instagram @morbeedo
Adorable!
Spoiler
Your last two questions seemed harder than that 1964 trial softball, though I was able to guess them both correctly using similar reasoning to what's been mentioned. But I don't know if I would have had the nerve to try either one without using lifelines. Retro good luck on the next episode!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:10 pm
Muffy was in the Green Room with me as a +1 for her brother. She was a hoot.
seaborgium wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:20 am Well, that was good timing; pub quiz just had a question asking for the only two people to
Spoiler
win two Nobel Prizes in the same category. I only had one, but it was one more than my team would have had if I hadn't watched Millionaire today.
That was hilarious. Unfortunate, but hilarious. You don't get much more infamous than Jack Ruby, though.

Congrats so far, Michael. That was a pretty tough stack to this point, so I'm glad you got through it. I would have tanked the Senate question, which would have been really embarrassing. But I only took a quick stab at it; I might have gotten to 23 if I really thought it out. I really expected to see a red nose, though.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Nicely played, morbeedo. I really enjoyed watching your (first) episode. You obviously didn't hear me screaming at the TV about Bardeen, but as a scientist I've got a bit of an advantage there. I also really enjoyed your banter with Chris. I think that one of his best qualities as a host is his ability to roll with the punches and interact with contestants.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:20 am Well, that was good timing; pub quiz just had a question asking for the only two people to
Spoiler
If only I was on your pub quiz team.

Marie Curie, Linus Pauling, John Bardeen, Frederick Sanger. ;)
Douglas Squasoni
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:49 pm
Spoiler

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This is the complete 11/15 episode video (Sorry, the uncontrollable thumbnail is again a big spoiler):
Spoiler
Comments:
Spoiler
Good episode with 2 players seeing the 50K Q.

morbeedo: You showed plenty of TV presence to demonstrate why two different shows wanted you as a contestant. J! called you once, so here's to you working your way towards "The Call" a second time down the road.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:59 pm This is the complete 11/15 episode video (Sorry, the uncontrollable thumbnail is again a big spoiler):
Spoiler
Comments:
Spoiler

morbeedo: You showed plenty of TV presence to demonstrate why two different shows wanted you as a contestant. J! called you once, so here's to you working your way towards "The Call" a second time down the road.
Spoiler
Thanks for the encouragement, Mark, and thanks for posting the videos so promptly!!!

I never thought about trying for Millionaire, auditioned at TCONA on a whim, had 1 week notice to prepare for the show, and so I made it as far as I could without a solid strategy and specific mental preparation. Learned a lot about myself, the process, and three people I'd never previously heard of: John Bardeen, Cindy Hyde-Smith and Carol Spinney, who made a big splash announcing his retirement about 2 months too late

Mary-El, the woman from Miami who played on Monday and Tuesday, sat in the green room with me all day Thursday and the following Monday. She had tried to make the show every year since the US premier with Regis, and she finally made it! I may have some residual "what ifs" about my game and missing out on Jeopardy! for now, but I'm thrilled to have made the show and walked away with a respectable amount of cash. After going through the ringer at $10K and $20K, it felt great to knock out the $30K question and walk away at $50K with no real regrets ;)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

alietr wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:27 am
Spoiler
That was hilarious. Unfortunate, but hilarious. You don't get much more infamous than Jack Ruby, though.
I think you meant to quote my post about rock, paper, scissors.
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:49 pm
Spoiler

By LL rules, you are wrong.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:59 pm This is the complete 11/15 episode video (Sorry, the uncontrollable thumbnail is again a big spoiler):
Spoiler
Comments:
Spoiler

A collective EXHALE is in order! Spoilering now:
Spoiler
Well done, and the $50K question was a great test and I would have picked Cookie Monster last, even off the 50/50 with any of the others. I was hoping your E! knowledge would make it as easy as North Dakota, so all in all that was a nice $10K gift.

This was fun to watch vicariously, I would NEVER want to do it. Adrenaline is not a voluntary drug for me. You probably can't start that cat furniture bizness until you win some mega-bucks on Jeopardy :lol: .

Thanks for sharing and your comments, and to Mark Barrett for his routine awesomeness.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
LucarioSnooperVixey

[/quote]
By LL rules, you are wrong.
[/quote]

Oh in the SAME CATEGORY. My bad. John Bardeen and Frederick Sanger.
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey

Congratulations Morbeedo $30,000. I am looking forward to see Alietr on the show. :)
Douglas Squasoni
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Can't wait to see tomorrow's mystery contestant!

One more huzzah and congrats, Morbeedo, enjoy the cash! I thought you got a tough stack as well....
Spoiler
From yesterday I had no clue on your $7k question; lean physics on $10k without a lot of confidence.

I'd have probably gone home on your $30k because my first thought was that the Deepwater Horizon spill in 2010 happened in the Gulf of Mexico. Completely forgot about the ND pipeline. :oops:

Spinney retired recently; listened to a podcast not long ago with Noel MacNeal, a fellow puppeteer, who mentioned Spinney as well. Got it today, but probably not on tape day.

Conversely, I answered every question of David's game afterwards without needing a lifeline (maybe a 50:50 on $100k to be safe but probably not). The fact that switchblades came up during Vermonter's game made me a little more confident in that being the right answer. Sometimes material repeats in short intervals if a writer hits on something they deem interesting. Can I get my turn on stage? :lol:
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:38 pm
Spoiler
Comments:
Spoiler

Spoiler
Thanks for the encouragement, Mark, and thanks for posting the videos so promptly!!!

I never thought about trying for Millionaire, auditioned at TCONA on a whim, had 1 week notice to prepare for the show, and so I made it as far as I could without a solid strategy and specific mental preparation. Learned a lot about myself, the process, and three people I'd never previously heard of: John Bardeen, Cindy Hyde-Smith and Carol Spinney, who made a big splash announcing his retirement about 2 months too late

Mary-El, the woman from Miami who played on Monday and Tuesday, sat in the green room with me all day Thursday and the following Monday. She had tried to make the show every year since the US premier with Regis, and she finally made it! I may have some residual "what ifs" about my game and missing out on Jeopardy! for now, but I'm thrilled to have made the show and walked away with a respectable amount of cash. After going through the ringer at $10K and $20K, it felt great to knock out the $30K question and walk away at $50K with no real regrets ;)
Morbeedo, I feel like I failed you, and I apologize.

I had three kids who grew up with Sesame Street, and my wife and I both blurted the answer as soon as the question appeared. I tried to holler loud enough for you to hear me cross-country three months ago, but failed. I'll work on increasing my volume for your Jeopardy appearance -- assuming I have to watch on TV instead of being in the studio to return the favor of in-person support!

Congrats on a terrific appearance.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:40 pm
Spoiler
You are, as usual, correct, sir. Oops!

Timing was everything on the $50K. When he retired, there was a lot of press given to Spinney also voicing Oscar. Instaget today, I wouldn't have gotten it just a few weeks ago. (And thank goodness you didn't just take a flyer on it. I'm sure you know my opinion on just guessing.) $30K ain't bad to walk with, though, Michael, congrats!
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:50 pm Those front 5 Qs seemed harder than usual, or at least trickier. Well done navigating that minefield. And well done on the explanations of the various yogas. I only knew 1 of the 3 (but I did know the yogurt right off).
totally agree...then the dude who followed morbeedo got such an easy board
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

good run, morbeedo...too bad you didn't record that game a couple months later...you would have got that question easily since the big bird dude was in the news regarding his retirement and many outlets spotlighting oscar the grouch as well
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

alietr wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:06 pm
seaborgium wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:40 pm
Spoiler
You are, as usual, correct, sir. Oops!

Timing was everything on the $50K. When he retired, there was a lot of press given to Spinney also voicing Oscar. Instaget today, I wouldn't have gotten it just a few weeks ago. (And thank goodness you didn't just take a flyer on it. I'm sure you know my opinion on just guessing.) $30K ain't bad to walk with, though, Michael, congrats!
same for me