Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Woof »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:39 am I don't know if he could handle the speed of the game, but I would like to see Rene Nunez on J!
Yeah, I was quite impressed with Lupe and Rene. Their prior experience with trivia competitions showed and they made good decisions. It'll be interesting to see how much farther they get today with no more lifelines.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Woof wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:32 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:39 am I don't know if he could handle the speed of the game, but I would like to see Rene Nunez on J!
Yeah, I was quite impressed with Lupe and Rene. Their prior experience with trivia competitions showed and they made good decisions. It'll be interesting to see how much farther they get today with no more lifelines.
Rene is obviously great at trivia, and Lupe is an excellent partner. Their playing style was satisfying to watch.
threearruda
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by threearruda »

Completely seconded on Lupe and Rene, they were a pleasure to watch.
Spoiler
Great depth of knowledge to land correctly on the $100k answer, and quickly at that.

What they did, I did the opposite; I did not know $100k but knew $250k cold. I dream of that type of question at that stage in the game. The subject matter was the same as the FJ! in Dan Pawson's $200 win.

If Lupe and Rene happen to be lurking, again, congrats on a large haul and a tremendous performance!
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

The couple after Rene and Lupe, however... yeesh.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:25 pm The couple after Rene and Lupe, however... yeesh.
The things said during the music question including Phil Collins with Journey? :o

For the highest value question of the day? Yup, no choices needed.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

threearruda wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:17 pm Completely seconded on Lupe and Rene, they were a pleasure to watch.
Spoiler
Great depth of knowledge to land correctly on the $100k answer, and quickly at that.

What they did, I did the opposite; I did not know $100k but knew $250k cold. I dream of that type of question at that stage in the game. The subject matter was the same as the FJ! in Dan Pawson's $200 win.

If Lupe and Rene happen to be lurking, again, congrats on a large haul and a tremendous performance!
If only Heather Chapman made it to $250k and had that question. ;)
Douglas Squasoni
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:32 pm
seaborgium wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:25 pm The couple after Rene and Lupe, however... yeesh.
The things said during the music question including Phil Collins with Journey? :o

For the highest value question of the day? Yup, no choices needed.
At one point, she said "I don't remember" and I had to instantly add "I don't recall" from one of Phil's old bandmates. Watching them struggle with that one was painful.

My hat's off to Rene and Lupe. Darn nice win there. I don't blame them for walking, but it would have been awesome if they'd gotten that one right.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

PsycPhdStudent wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:33 am My episode airs today. Not my finest moment— fire away with criticism
Congrats for adding some more coin to the bank, Colby! You went out on a question that was only really obvious (to me) in retrospect. Cool shirt. I've been to Memphis a bunch of times for work. Great story, huh? ;)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Double trouble this time as the Audience caused a "couple" to leave empty-handed.

I was certain it wasn't Rye Bread. The Monte Cristo leads me to France, hence French toast.

Note: If a significant percentage of the audience goes with a choice you eliminated, it is probably the right answer.

For +1, the flag of Kosovo is a silhouette of the country in yellow under six white stars on a blue background.
Douglas Squasoni
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:23 pm
I was certain it wasn't Rye Bread. The Monte Cristo leads me to France, hence French toast.
You're lucky. The Monte Cristo would lead me to a heart attack.
OCSam
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'm guessing Mr. Kendall is able to handle this one. I was pretty shocked they burned two lifelines on it. The +1 was exactly right ... they overthought it. Plus seriously, on a low dollar question, were they really going to expect you to know what Kosovo's flag looks like? Or Uzbekistan or Micronesia. Go with the obvious, people.
Flag Question.JPG
Flag Question.JPG (41.04 KiB) Viewed 4263 times
Woof

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:15 am I'm guessing Mr. Kendall is able to handle this one. I was pretty shocked they burned two lifelines on it. The +1 was exactly right ... they overthought it. Plus seriously, on a low dollar question, were they really going to expect you to know what Kosovo's flag looks like? Or Uzbekistan or Micronesia. Go with the obvious, people.

Flag Question.JPG
I said as much to my wife. You look at that list, you recall the Star of David on Israel's flag and you go no further. But when you're up on stage, in front of the lights...
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:13 pm If only Heather Chapman made it to $250k and had that question. ;)
Dan too, considering he was a Millionaire contestant a few years back!

That flag question was indeed a little hard to watch, but I almost overthought it also, if it makes those two feel any better. At the end of the day though, it was only a 7k question and Israel does only have one star on its flag.. so.. *shrug*.

Polar opposites during the special week with $30k and $100k winners, and a few early exits with $5k. Looking forward to regular games again on Monday.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

To add data to the debate over whether they have better contestants this season or not, from Tommy Zee:

Big-winner scoreboard update: With the $50,000 wins by Brandon Bidlack and Gillian West, we've officially hit 18 players who've reached that milestone.
This number surpasses last year's total by one.
Still working on five who won $100,000, but I think Lucky in Love Week gave us No. 6 on Tuesday. That's one away from matching last year's mark.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

alietr wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:22 pm To add data to the debate over whether they have better contestants this season or not, from Tommy Zee:

Big-winner scoreboard update: With the $50,000 wins by Brandon Bidlack and Gillian West, we've officially hit 18 players who've reached that milestone.
Still working on five who won $100,000, but I think Lucky in Love Week gave us No. 6 on Tuesday. That's one away from matching last year's mark.
Does this reflect better players or better questions? I haven’t been keeping track of my personal get rates for any data, but I think the questions are easier this year than last year, and felt last year was easier than the year before.

In other trivia areas, I have noticed a personal improvement, so my perception may be off.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

triviawayne wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:58 am
alietr wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:22 pm To add data to the debate over whether they have better contestants this season or not, from Tommy Zee:

Does this reflect better players or better questions? I haven’t been keeping track of my personal get rates for any data, but I think the questions are easier this year than last year, and felt last year was easier than the year before.

In other trivia areas, I have noticed a personal improvement, so my perception may be off.
Personally, I haven't observed a change in the difficulty level, but that's obviously subjective. I do notice a lot more familiar names from Jeopardy and other trivia circles, which has made me think they looked for better quality players for this season.
Woof

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:14 am

Personally, I haven't observed a change in the difficulty level, but that's obviously subjective. I do notice a lot more familiar names from Jeopardy and other trivia circles, which has made me think they looked for better quality players for this season.
Speaking only from my own perspective, Millionaire had fallen off my radar screen until last year when my friend told me that he’d applied. Until that time, I was unaware of the reboot with Chris Harrison. Coincidentally or not, the discussion about it here has picked up substantially in the past year.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Woof wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:37 am
alietr wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:14 am

Speaking only from my own perspective, Millionaire had fallen off my radar screen until last year when my friend told me that he’d applied. Until that time, I was unaware of the reboot with Chris Harrison. Coincidentally or not, the discussion about it here has picked up substantially in the past year.
I think that reflects the familiar players and boardies on the show.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I stopped watching when Meredith took over because I found her phony, and constantly vacillating between extremely dull and extremely phony. Then they realized that no one was watching anymore, so they jacked up the format and kept changing hosts.

I do appreciate that they've mostly gone back to basics with the format. But Chris Harrison is so dry and uncharismatic that.. okay, he's SLIGHTLY better than Ty Treadway, I won't go that far.

But no one's come within striking distance of the million in ages. They have zero budget so they can't even give it away. Half the questions are "Which celeb used to work at Hardee's?" level stuff that no one knows. Why is this show still on?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:31 pm I stopped watching when Meredith took over because I found her phony, and constantly vacillating between extremely dull and extremely phony. Then they realized that no one was watching anymore, so they jacked up the format and kept changing hosts.

I do appreciate that they've mostly gone back to basics with the format. But Chris Harrison is so dry and uncharismatic that.. okay, he's SLIGHTLY better than Ty Treadway, I won't go that far.

But no one's come within striking distance of the million in ages. They have zero budget so they can't even give it away. Half the questions are "Which celeb used to work at Hardee's?" level stuff that no one knows. Why is this show still on?
so you quit watching millionaire because of a host? i despise trebek and still watch jeopardy