Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

oduguy22
Swimming with the Jeopardy! Fishes

Re: Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by oduguy22 »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:24 pm Ack! My show is going to air on Nov 14th :shock:

Halloween, NYC clown marathon, 2018 midterm elections, Millionaire!!! My head's going to explode!
Retroactive Good Luck!!!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

oduguy22 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:34 pm
morbeedo wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:24 pm Ack! My show is going to air on Nov 14th :shock:

Halloween, NYC clown marathon, 2018 midterm elections, Millionaire!!! My head's going to explode!
Retroactive Good Luck!!!
Thank you! I’ll be back here next week with the blow by blow
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:11 pm
oduguy22 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:34 pm

Retroactive Good Luck!!!
Thank you! I’ll be back here next week with the blow by blow
My plan is to watch and record at 8:30 PT next Wednesday morning followed by editing and uploading with the goal of having the link on the board by 10 PT at the latest.

My cousin Ian Norman completed the NYC Marathon on Sunday. Congrats on having a much better finishing time.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:40 pm My plan is to watch and record at 8:30 PT next Wednesday morning followed by editing and uploading with the goal of having the link on the board by 10 PT at the latest.

My cousin Ian Norman completed the NYC Marathon on Sunday. Congrats on having a much better finishing time.
Thanks, Mark! There’s no rush to post the video. I start mid- episode on Wed

Congrats to your cousin! I’ll post a photo of my clown marathon later. I ran the first half way too fast and paid for it at the end with severe cramping. 1:38/1:54 for a 3:32 finish
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

I can't believe only 10% of the audience knew that famous opening line from 1984.

A lucky and educated guess with Michael J. Fox brought me up to 6/6 on $250,000 questions for Season 17.
Douglas Squasoni
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Regarding that clip at the beginning, it would be nice to see Nancy Christy try again on the show. Back in the Regis days, Millionaire winners would return for a Champions special and try again. So I'm all for Nancy doing it now too.

How's Kevin Smith doing, by the way? He'd be another I'd like to see again. Does anyone know?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Google Drive is messing with me today as I uploaded the 11/14 episode with no problem. The processing is taking forever and is still not complete. I have uploaded the video a second time to see if the refire will work better.

I'll post when I have something to share.
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

Speaking of Kevin Smith, his million dollar question was the Question of the Day.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Well, that happened. A contestant used her +1, then her 50:50, and then the two did rock, paper, scissors to determine her final answer. (Incorrect, down to $5,000 from $10,000.)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This is the Morbeedo portion of the 11/14 show as I could not get the whole episode to process. The thumbnail is a spoiler.
Spoiler
I'll try to get the first part to work in a separate upload.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:11 pm Well, that happened. A contestant used her +1, then her 50:50, and then the two did rock, paper, scissors to determine her final answer. (Incorrect, down to $5,000 from $10,000.)
I had no problem with that outcome.

I fast-forwarded through the rest of the episode looking for a guy with a big red nose, but I didn't see one.
Spoiler
I kid, I kid. Now where are the cat photos?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

dinghammer wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:52 pm I fast-forwarded through the rest of the episode looking for a guy with a big red nose, but I didn't see one.
Spoiler
I kid, I kid. Now where are the cat photos?
LOL. Find me on Instagram @morbeedo

Thanks for posting, Mark! I'll recap tomorrow
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:44 pm This is the Morbeedo portion of the 11/14 show as I could not get the whole episode to process. The thumbnail is a spoiler.
Spoiler
I'll try to get the first part to work in a separate upload.
This video has the first part of the 11/14 episode (and naturally another spoiling thumbnail):
Spoiler
morbeedo: You are welcome.
clprez

Post by clprez »

Spoiler
Mark, I'm really glad you only posted morbeedo's portion because as we got closer and closer to the end of the video, I thought morbeedo was doomed since I didn't know whether the part you didn't post was the beginning or the end.

Retro good luck tomorrow!
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Oh, man - you stressed me out at
Spoiler
John Bardeen! I did think Hans Bethe had a pair of physics Nobels as well.
OK, the cat thing is hilarious! But then, our 3 outside cats each have their own pet heating pad, turndown maid service, and a space heater running in their little cat outbuilding. So, yes, sadly, me and twelvefootgirl could be a target demographic for your product!

I chose correctly on the Senators, but would have been pissed at the 50/50 because of course I knew it was not the two they removed.

Thanks, Mark for uploading. I set my DVR, but it plans to record the 11/13 episode on 11/15, so I don't know if it is on an alternative season or what in my market.

Hoping to see that cat furniture company get a nice start!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Those front 5 Qs seemed harder than usual, or at least trickier. Well done navigating that minefield. And well done on the explanations of the various yogas. I only knew 1 of the 3 (but I did know the yogurt right off).
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Spoiler
I knew there were several two-time winners of the Masters (including Nicklaus and Woods) and Best Director (John Ford won like 4 times).
It turns out three people have won two Pulitzers for fiction: Updike, Faulkner, and Booth Tarkington. I also figured if it was someone I'd never heard of, they were more likely to have won the Nobel since they're generally not as high profile as the others.

I was able to go around the country and get up to a list of at least 16 female senators, and I knew it wasn't more than 23.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Some initial thoughts on my game
Spoiler
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:01 pm Oh, man - you stressed me out at John Bardeen! I did think Hans Bethe had a pair of physics Nobels as well
The $10K question hit me like a ton of bricks. Never heard of John Bardeen (until he was name dropped in The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel) and believe it or not, I know the Masters is a golf tournament, but I'd never heard of the green jacket either! So I was doubly thrown and started to melt down. And yet - I had an 80% confidence rate for Nobel Prize based on "only two-time winner". To be safe, I thought, may as well use the audience at this point in the game. Then, when the numbers came back, I should have gone for it (only 6% for Masters, my blindspot) but I worried that my deliberating may have unduly influenced the crowd (the question was heavily edited, so you don't see any of the thought process, which really amounted to "I don't think it's this, maybe it's that..."), so I panicked and thought, after all they put me through leading up to this moment (more on that later), I WILL NOT LEAVE THIS STAGE WITH JUST $5K!

Going into the $20K question, I was totally flustered and panicked again. I figured the answer was "on the lower end," but didn't want to go down the path of naming senators, stopping at 8 or 9 and thinking now what? At that point, I felt like I had lost control and was just playing to survive, and hoped the 50/50 would eliminate either 15th or 23rd. Of course not. I really thought the answer was 15! You don't see it, but I said "I could think about this all day" and Chris said "You have to make a decision," which is code for "answer the question right now". I wanted to say 15th but I've recognized a pattern on the show where the answer is rarely A or D when there are 4 number choices. There was no chance I was going to walk with $10K, so I took my shot and said B, Final Answer

I made a quip that the Senate is mostly "old white guys" but they cut that line :roll:

I think the cat furniture story played well, but in the moment it felt like Chris was mocking me and it threw me off

I really did "lose" my contact lens into the back of my eye, and the day before the taping I was freaking out because it felt like I had something stuck in my eye and didn't want to go on TV with a twitchy red eye, so I told my sister to look at it for me, and she said OMG it's your contact lens! and she pinched it out. awkward story, even more awkward reality
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:53 pm Some initial thoughts on my game
Spoiler
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:01 pm Oh, man - you stressed me out at John Bardeen! I did think Hans Bethe had a pair of physics Nobels as well
The $10K question hit me like a ton of bricks. Never heard of John Bardeen[...]
Spoiler
Bardeen and his two Nobels were mentioned in a game thread by MattKnowles last year...and it was a reply to one of your posts!: viewtopic.php?p=263071#p263071 :P :)