Friday, January 13, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, January 13, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alamble »

okstater04 wrote: I said andouiLLe intentionally. I thought it might be pronounced ondouey, but I don't think I've ever actually heard it spoken. I've just read it. I thought they'd be lenient if I pronounced the L (because I wasn't sure), and they were. I'll take it.
They have long proven to be lenient on pronunciations when your pronunciation is a reasonable interpretation of the spelling. (BTW, TPH, andouille sausage is Cajun, not French.)

You are the first person I know of who auditioned in KC this summer to appear on the show. Debramc, you auditioned in KC as well, yes?
okstater04
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by okstater04 »

I'm assuming Chuck Rezac, the one time champ from Emmett, KS, was a Kansas City auditioner, but I'm not sure.

I fully expect the woman I played against in my mock game to be on the show before the end of her eligibility.
alamble

Post by alamble »

okstater04 wrote:I'm assuming Chuck Rezac, the one time champ from Emmett, KS, was a Kansas City auditioner, but I'm not sure.

I fully expect the woman I played against in my mock game to be on the show before the end of her eligibility.
Because she was good, or because she would make an interesting onstage presence? I can think of one person from my group who would fit the latter, but she openly admitted (to me, and the guy who was sitting next to her) after the written test to have used Google-fu on the online test, so I suspect she might not have passed the written.
okstater04
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by okstater04 »

She was good in the mock game - had a great presence in the interview, and answered more questions than I did. But I have no clue how she did on her written test. We both wore purple that day, and that was sorta joked about by the third guy in our group and the contestant coordinators.
CGeditor
Valued Contributor

Post by CGeditor »

"Crab cakes and football: That's what Maryland does!" - "Wedding Crashers"
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

alamble wrote:
okstater04 wrote:(BTW, TPH, andouille sausage is Cajun, not French.)
Still a French word though.
ayeembored
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by ayeembored »

alamble wrote:
okstater04 wrote: I said andouiLLe intentionally. I thought it might be pronounced ondouey, but I don't think I've ever actually heard it spoken. I've just read it. I thought they'd be lenient if I pronounced the L (because I wasn't sure), and they were. I'll take it.
They have long proven to be lenient on pronunciations when your pronunciation is a reasonable interpretation of the spelling. (BTW, TPH, andouille sausage is Cajun, not French.)

You are the first person I know of who auditioned in KC this summer to appear on the show. Debramc, you auditioned in KC as well, yes?
I was at a KC audition, too. I don't think I was in Preston's group, though. (although the faces are fading in my memory now).
ronk
Contributor

Post by ronk »

(BTW, TPH, andouille sausage is Cajun, not French.)
Oh no, it's French, though the they were referring to the Cajun version. The (Breton) French is the most difficult thing I've ever had to eat.

http://www.worldtable.com/content/la-vrai-andouille

When the link says "reek of the barnyard" and has "all the charm of road kill", it's not kidding.
fowlerism

Post by fowlerism »

Perhaps I was the only one who read "this President & V.P." and thought it was referring to one person, i.e. a person who has been both. At that point I was doomed, because it ruled out JFK.
ej!fan

Post by ej!fan »

fowlerism wrote:Perhaps I was the only one who read "this President & V.P." and thought it was referring to one person, i.e. a person who has been both. At that point I was doomed, because it ruled out JFK.
That was something that confused me as well, so I just said George HW Bush. Lobster (Maine) beef (Texas) and was both POTUS and VP.
okstater04
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by okstater04 »

Harvey Friedman came and told us before FJ that we would have to write down two names.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

okstater04 wrote:Harvey Friedman came and told us before FJ that we would have to write down two names.
The problem, however, is that Harvey Friedman has never been in my kitchen, and didn't tell *us* that.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:
okstater04 wrote:Harvey Friedman came and told us before FJ that we would have to write down two names.
The problem, however, is that Harvey Friedman has never been in my kitchen, and didn't tell *us* that.
But has Harry Friedman been in your kitchen?
okstater04
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by okstater04 »

Oh my goodness, you're right! I think I was watching Pre-Golden Globes coverage, and they kept talking about Harvey Weinstein. Harvey...Harry....my brain thinks those two names are the same, apparently.
Miss Mellie
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Miss Mellie »

This is why the savvy player responds with only the last name!
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

alamble wrote:

Yep. And my show airs Wednesday. I remember you, alamble, but I didn't realize Preston was there too. I met him on the airport shuttle bus in LA. Hey Preston! Good game! Too bad it didn't work out at the end. (Funny about the license plates, I remember thinking someone from OK should know what's on LA's plates, but now that I think about it, I don't know what the OK license plates say. I think there's a scissortail flycatcher on there, but I'm not sure if there are words. :D )
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

WHat's the Delaware license plate? o.O
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

CyrusChan wrote:WHat's the Delaware license plate? o.O
The First State
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
billiej

Post by billiej »

harrumph wrote:On FJ did anyone else go with Lincoln/Hamlin?
That was my first thought, then decided it was too long ago. Expanded to New England, came up with JFK, LBJ=Texas=beef. Then briefly considered Bush (41 and 43) due to their ties to both regions, but stuck with what I had.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So yeah, seems I'm still the only one who never thought that the types of food would be, you know, some kind of TOM. It just seemed like an out of nowhere, ultra-obscure piece of trivia. It doesn't help that steak and lobster are kinda common foods. If it had been something more regional, like Philly cheesesteak, then I might've realized "oh, the food is important in this clue" and not "well, that could be literally anyone".