Friday, January 13, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Wimple
Jeopardy! Fan

Re: Friday, January 13, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Wimple »

Woppy T wrote:I'm going nuts trying to think of which actor/movie character Brandon resembles. Greg Kinnear? No, that's not it. He's just got a "look" that seems familiar. Anyone else have any thoughts?
William H. Massey?
CyrusChan
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CyrusChan »

can't pin the name to the guy from ENgland I believe who has a knack for dressing as women...
Woppy T wrote:I'm going nuts trying to think of which actor/movie character Brandon resembles. Greg Kinnear? No, that's not it. He's just got a "look" that seems familiar. Anyone else have any thoughts?
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Sorry it didn't work out, Preston. You did a great job of taking the game over in the DD round - I hope you don't feel you handled the DD you got improperly, because that's always a dangerous spot to get a DD.

As for the FJ, FWIW, I thought it was a pretty stupid question. I considered Agnew, because of Maryland, but the ordering made me think that the president had to be the lobster guy. Bush, having Maine connections, sorta made sense, but JFK plus LBJ worked the best. But, still, it somehow feels like an awfully stupid question.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Yes, the elder Bush is associated with Maine (one of the "nine states" that he was resident in ;) ) but he officially claimed Texas as his home state at the time of his elections; after all, that's where he was elected to Congress from. If the lunch is supposed to celebrate home states, lobster would be way off for either Bush.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:But I couldn't connect Quayle with beef as well as I could LBJ, so I stuck with the first one.
I associate Quayle more with potatoes ... ;)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:I associate Quayle more with potatoes ... ;)
No. It was just one.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

xxaaaxx wrote:WAGged Adams + Jefferson. Hopefully when I come back to this thread in a few hours, multiple people will have chimed in on the obvious TOM that I missed in that clue.

I too kept looking for the TOM I was obviously missing. I even said aloud to my wife, "gimme a clue, how about it!?"

Started off looking for a president from Maine, thinking that state is better known for lobsters. But as Lisa0012 said, lobster = Massachusetts = JFK. I finally expanded my geographic search and came up with that combination, plus beef = Texas = LBJ, and jotted down the correct six letters just as the music ended. Good thing I didn't have to write down anything longer than LBJ & JFK.

I certainly thought the category name was misleading, and precalled Tom Eagleton.
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

Morgan Spurlock (Super Size Me)

John Boy

Post by John Boy »

bpmod wrote:
dhkendall wrote:I associate Quayle more with potatoes ... ;)
No. It was just one.

Brian

Maybe, but it repeated on him more than a bad batch of chili.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

CyrusChan wrote:can't pin the name to the guy from ENgland I believe who has a knack for dressing as women...
Benny Hill?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

CyrusChan wrote:can't pin the name to the guy from ENgland I believe who has a knack for dressing as women...
Eddie Izzard?

boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Steve Zahn, particularly in the movie Happy Texas (though I get the Morgan Spurlock one too).

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2705759488/tt0162360
Doug527
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Doug527 »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Eddie Izzard?

If he resembles Eddie Izzard, then I can't WAIT to see what he's wearing on Monday...
Lifelong enthusiast. Season 28 contestant.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

HugoZ wrote:
Morgan Spurlock (Super Size Me)

Yes! That's who I've been trying to think of, I think. Especially when he first came out, in his Super Size Me days, more than in the recent picture you posted...

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:For some reason, I never associated Utah with snow/skiing. I usually think of Colorado for that.

Utah I associate with Great Salt Lake, Mormons (did you know Brigham Young even founded a department store?), Osmonds, and SHeDAISY.
Clearly you need to watch my network's broadcast of Jeopardy. Two commercials for skiing in Utah with the "Greatest Snow on Earth" every show :lol:
StevenH wrote: The Chaucer clue at $400 in the Poets category was hard, I thought. I lost out on the 50 50 90 guess between Chaucer and Bunyan.
Overthought it. For $400, there's only one 1380s English poet Jeopardy! would ask for. Ever. ...well, TOC excepted.
Bamaman wrote:Lobster led me to Maine, which led me to Bush41. Reagan is from California, he liked ranches, so maybe he had a thing for beef. But it didn't make sense why they put the president's food second in the clue, but Bush/Quayle and Bush/Cheney didn't seem to fit, so I was stuck with my first thought. I just couldn't get away from Bush, had I skipped back a few years and thought of Kennedy I might have gone with that, even though I don't connect lobsters with Massachusetts.
That's what got me. "Lobster? Maine. Maine? HW Bush. And...prime rib? Well, Reagan wanted us to think he was a Texan, so Reagan/Bush it is."
What might (for a very stretched definition of might) have helped is during the animal montage during Finding Nemo, apparently the lobsters around Australia and the Great Barrier Reef have wicked Bahstan accents. (Disclaimer: no, I doubt I'd base an answer off that. But hindsight is 20/20...)

Clammed on Kentucky, shouldn't have.
Swept Float Sam and Jet Sam (but my pre-call of Sam Yeager didn't show up)
Swept colleges and universities, showing that recent research has paid off.
Aaaaaand...completely shut out on Rock & Roll; not entirely unexpected.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Doug527 wrote:
Eddie Izzard?

If he resembles Eddie Izzard, then I can't WAIT to see what he's wearing on Monday...[/quote]

YES! Eddie Izzard is the one I was thinking of! don't know if you guys seem the resemblance!
RCraig
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by RCraig »

Sorry you couldn't come out on top, Preston, but you still did great. If the J!/WoF team comes out with another game show, I hope to see you on it for the trifecta!
seaborgium wrote:
Frank Hardy wrote:Is Brandon emanating special brain waves which disrupt the thought processes of his opponents in Final Jeopardy?

When, if ever, was the last time a champion won his first two games entering FJ in third place and giving the only correct response?
Robin Woods won two games from third place, but only the second was a sole get; the first was a triple miss. (She could have won from third place on her third FJ too, were it not for some interesting wagers from second and first, who apparently, and rightly, were unconfident in the category.)

This is an interesting question.
A win by 3rd place on a sole get has only happened ~90 times in the j-archive, so it's a pretty rare occurrence.
(trying to win Jeopardy! on the Final question with a sole get is a tough assignment any way you slice it.)

My analyses could have missed a few more of these, but I think I got most of the ones that are in the archive.

As far as I can tell, he's the first person to win his first two games in this fashion.

Some of the ones that occurred in a 3 game span or less:

steve sosnick, no winner game, new winner does it too
http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1946
http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1927

back to school week
http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2493
http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2496

First back-to-back occurrence?
Phillip Steele does it in his 4th game and is unseated the next day by someone that does it.
http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2628
http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2629

another instance of 2 in 3 game span
http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1235
http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1251

Brett Kirwan wins first game this way, then loses in 3rd to challenger who does it.
http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2431
http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2437
okstater04
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by okstater04 »

Thanks everybody again for the kind words. Some more thoughts:

Chaucer? Android? Yeesh. I must have zoned out or something.

I was standing there thinking Yoplait the whole time, but I wasn't $1,000 sure of it. Dannon briefly ran through my head too, enough to make me not want to risk $1,000 on Yoplait.

I said andouiLLe intentionally. I thought it might be pronounced ondouey, but I don't think I've ever actually heard it spoken. I've just read it. I thought they'd be lenient if I pronounced the L (because I wasn't sure), and they were. I'll take it.

Yay for colleges and universities. I hope I'd know those - I work at one. Ran the category in my mind, but not on the buzzer. Actually, I ran quite a few of the categories in my head. If only that's how you played the game.

I was actually quite proud of the Double Jeopardy! DD wager, based on the math and knowing I wanted to be in the lead no matter what going into the Final. In retrospect I could have bet more, but geography is never one of those categories I'm going to take a big risk on.

Didn't know the bottom three license plates. In fact on "Sportsmen's Paradise", I thought of Connecticut (because of ESPN). Not seriously, but that did come into my mind. I certainly wasn't going to ring in on it, though.

Just couldn't really find my buzzer mojo. I should have switched up my "ringing in" strategy, but I never did. Honestly though, I told myself before I taped that I wanted to hold the buzzer high because, if I couldn't ring in, at least people will know I was trying.

I was actually so mad at myself for not getting in first on Boccaccio, and I dwelled on that for a few days, not the Final. If I got that, even if I still answered Final wrong, I would have won the game. I guess the same can be said for the This and That $2000. I didn't know the Rock and Roll or "and" $2000 clues.

I could not remember the Jeopardy! round at all. Until yesterday, I thought I might have got a DD in the Jeopardy! round, but I wasn't sure.

All in all, I'm very happy with it. Sure, a win would have been nice, but I'll look back on the experience with fondness.

Now onto Who Wants to Be a Millionaire...
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

Ugh, when that FJ hit I was completely helpless. Had a bad feeling for Preston too as it wasn't a straightforward academic question, and he didn't look too confident before time was called. Kind of a gross question. Tough luck IMO. I said Washington and Adams just to say something. Preston looked like a champion up there.

The current champ's rocking makes me dizzy. Hopefully someone will talk to him about that.

50-50 between Chaucer and Bunyan? No, your jeopardy radar is off. :) Chaucer will be a top-row clue way more often than Bunyan and weird spelling is probably their favorite way to clue Chaucer.

Precall of Sam Yeager- I didn't know who you were talking about but a quick search leads me to believe that you were thinking of Sam Shepard, who played chuck Yeager in The Right Stuff. So, bad precall :)
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

harrumph wrote:On FJ did anyone else go with Lincoln/Hamlin?
Yup.

I figured someone had to be from ME...
OCSam