Monday, October 15, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Monday, October 15, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by AFRET CMS »

Bartleby wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:59 pm 34,800 coryat. Instaget final.

ISLANDS $400:
Spoiler
Earth.jpg
With its lack of quotation marks/title case, do you think the judges would have accepted "Earth" for this clue? ;)
If you're a fan of 1950s sci-fi B movies (or MST3K), then perhaps Earth itself could have been the island referenced.....

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047577/
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I got all of the Star Wars ones right, but not by name -- I kept citing "Episode IV." etc. since I couldn't come up with the names fast enough. Would that have passed in Culver City or not?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:59 pm I got all of the Star Wars ones right, but not by name -- I kept citing "Episode IV." etc. since I couldn't come up with the names fast enough. Would that have passed in Culver City or not?
That's all right by me.
earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by earendel »

dinghammer wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:10 am NHO a fireside chat. I guessed "sensual backrub".
Spoiler
j/k, this was an instaget, and that was the joke answer I thought of in the 3 seconds I counted off for the "everybody say this really obvious answer at the same time" thing we sometimes do, and which I (almost) always forget to give a joke answer for.
I guessed Woman Crush Wednesday because WECIB, and I got "architect" despite The Brady Bunch's beforemytimeness (does Alex ever say recent things are after certain contestants' times? Because that'd be mean and hilarious). And I ran the Star Wars category like some kind of nerd.
Do you suppose they would have accepted "Episode IV", etc., rather than the actual movie titles?
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

I am proud of the fact I only got "Empire Strikes Back" in the Star Wars category. Seriously? An entire category on a mediocre sci-fi franchise that peaked with Episode IV (the origional) and has regressed consistently since?
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

Kenny wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:29 pm I am proud of the fact I only got "Empire Strikes Back" in the Star Wars category. Seriously? An entire category on a mediocre sci-fi franchise that peaked with Episode IV (the origional) and has regressed consistently since?
Low hanging troll bait. We've all got things we don't like in pop culture, that doesn't make them any less important to know for Jeopardy.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Was on the road all of yesterday and most of today.

"Black and Tan" cost me the run in "Black", swift (can't say I've heard of it) in Roost-ers, and "Woman Crush Wednesday" (dafuq) in Abbrev.

Ran 10-Letter Words.

Got all but the top box in Driving. I got snagged on trying to coinflip Uber/Lyft but couldn't realize in time that neither fit.

I have to turn in my nerd card because I bombed the Star Wars category. Also no hope on the TV Jobs category.

Blah blah blah president + radio + 1930s = Fireside Chats?

Lach trash: "return to dust", "to the top"
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

mikebdoss wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:35 pm
Kenny wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:29 pm I am proud of the fact I only got "Empire Strikes Back" in the Star Wars category. Seriously? An entire category on a mediocre sci-fi franchise that peaked with Episode IV (the origional) and has regressed consistently since?
Low hanging troll bait. We've all got things we don't like in pop culture, that doesn't make them any less important to know for Jeopardy.
I'm perfectly happy with anyone who wants to be proud of not knowing things, leaves more potential winnings for the rest of us.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought this set of boards was on the tougher side; particularly the entertainment categories, not being a Star Wars fan at all. I strongly dislike how we get a film or TV category seemingly daily, but so it goes.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
davey

Post by davey »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:03 pm
I'm perfectly happy with anyone who wants to be proud of not knowing things, leaves more potential winnings for the rest of us.
I'm not exactly proud that the only one I got was Star Wars. Which I called Star Wars. But I'm content...and happy that this subject, at least as a full category, is probably in retirement for a while now... ;)
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

davey wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:04 am
jeff6286 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:03 pm
I'm not exactly proud that the only one I got was Star Wars. Which I called Star Wars. But I'm content...and happy that this subject, at least as a full category, is probably in retirement for a while now... ;)
To me, A New Hope is and will always be simply Star Wars. But I think if I were on the show I'd say the former, just to be safe.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:54 pm
"Black and Tan" cost me the run in "Black", swift (can't say I've heard of it) in Roost-ers, and "Woman Crush Wednesday" (dafuq) in Abbrev.
Here's a helpful tip: never order a "Black and Tan" in an Irish pub. If the bartender is a true Irishman you will get a harsh glare at the very least. Order a "half and half" instead.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Star Wars seemed tough for sure. With eight movies in the main series so far even if you've seen them all it's not easy to keep them straight.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Woppy T wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:13 am
Here's a helpful tip: never order a "Black and Tan" in an Irish pub. If the bartender is a true Irishman you will get a harsh glare at the very least. Order a "half and half" instead.
That's one of the more useful bits of info that I've picked up here along the way. Just out of curiosity, is there also another name for the concoction?
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:11 pm
Woppy T wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:13 am
That's one of the more useful bits of info that I've picked up here along the way. Just out of curiosity, is there also another name for the concoction?
I only know those two names, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there are more.