Monday, October 29, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Re: Monday, October 29, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Magna »

It was pretty quick, but theoretically it could have been either "What is a Morte d'Arthur?" or "What is, uh, Morte d'Arthur"?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

econgator wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:44 pm
davey wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:25 pm
econgator wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:57 pm
Saturnalia wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:58 pm I heard him say "Amour d'Arthur" or something similar.
Something like that. It absolutely did not start with an "L". Should have been reversed.
I would transcribe it as A Morte de Arthur. He pronounced the t in Morte. Unique and odd to change the French Le to the wrong English article, but that's arguably what he did, so they disregarded it. Then he didn't elide the d', but they're not ruling against someone for a bad French accent.
But he's answering in French and in French 'a' is not an article, so it cannot be dropped.
I've seen the title rendered as The Morte Darthur, so I don't think we can say that putting the wrong English article in front is wrong. Besides, I don't think J!'s unwritten rule about allowing initial articles to be dropped/added/replaced has any stipulation saying that added or replaced articles have to match the language of the rest of the title.

(I was also going to say that "What is the" can be slurred in such a way as to make it indistinguishable from "What is a," but I reviewed Neill's response and found he put enough of a stop after "is" that it's clear he wasn't trying to say "the.")
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:27 pm
I've seen the title rendered as The Morte Darthur, so I don't think we can say that putting the wrong English article in front is wrong. Besides, I don't think J!'s unwritten rule about allowing initial articles to be dropped/added/replaced has any stipulation saying that added or replaced articles have to match the language of the rest of the title.

(I was also going to say that "What is the" can be slurred in such a way as to make it indistinguishable from "What is a," but I reviewed Neill's response and found he put enough of a stop after "is" that it's clear he wasn't trying to say "the.")
Fair points, both.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

Saturnalia wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:58 pm
xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:36 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:50 pm
Tonight my reasoning went moonlight -> romantic -> Romeo and Juliet,
That's exactly the way my thinking went, and unfortunately that's as far as it went.

I have no idea how anyone could REALLY KNOW this one, so it seemed to require a bit of just figuring it out. This one may show a lot of "gets" on the weekly poll, but I for one never got close to it and was surprised to see it a triple-get on the show.

It seems odd to say that I pre-called Nostradamus on the 2nd-round DD, but I did exactly that, remembering the incident of the royal jousting death from one of my History Channel afternoons.

Nice to see that Tori was able to win a game in stronger fashion than her first.

And Soyia's FJ wager.....ugh.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

John Boy wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:53 am
Saturnalia wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:58 pm
xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:36 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:50 pm
Tonight my reasoning went moonlight -> romantic -> Romeo and Juliet,
That's exactly the way my thinking went, and unfortunately that's as far as it went.

I have no idea how anyone could REALLY KNOW this one, so it seemed to require a bit of just figuring it out. This one may show a lot of "gets" on the weekly poll, but I for one never got close to it and was surprised to see it a triple-get on the show.
Considering that Midsummer Night's Dream mostly takes place overnight (as suggested in the title), I don't see how anyone familiar with Shakespeare titles could have missed this one. It certainly helps to have seen one of the movie adaptations or a live performance, and once you have, yes, you would know (or be pretty convinced) that it was the only possible response. That said, I can see where folks could get diverted and then settle on Twelfth Night or Romeo and Juliet, but for a FJ based on Shakespeare, this was pretty easy and shouldn't have been a surprise that all three contestants knew it.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

52 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: W, X, Delaware, Tempest, Dance Dance Revolution, Gloria

Only misses today were Fort Carolina, Georgia, Non-Disclosure Agreement, Common Law, and Breakaway.
Douglas Squasoni
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

For the Atari game with the same name as a Shakespeare play, I said Othello, which was made for the 2600 (but I don't think it used the rotating controller).
davey

Post by davey »

nserven wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:01 pm For the Atari game with the same name as a Shakespeare play, I said Othello, which was made for the 2600 (but I don't think it used the rotating controller).
My first thought was Tempest, because it sounded like it could be a video game, but then I switched to Othello, because I know there's actually a game with that name. (I'm not talking about the video game... :roll: )... :evil:
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

davey wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:16 pm
nserven wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:01 pm For the Atari game with the same name as a Shakespeare play, I said Othello, which was made for the 2600 (but I don't think it used the rotating controller).
My first thought was Tempest, because it sounded like it could be a video game, but then I switched to Othello, because I know there's actually a game with that name. (I'm not talking about the video game... :roll: )... :evil:
I was going to say Othello off the Shakespeare TOM, then I realized a board game wouldn't need a rotating dial controller and changed to Tempest. My first exposure to the game was a Mac clone called Arashi on my friend's computer in the late '90s, and then a few years later I randomly discovered an arcade cabinet of the original Atari game, which is where I learned its name. (I can't remember where it was beyond being in a non-arcade place of business, I think somewhere in Pasadena.)
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

This clue brought a big smile to my face. I fed many a quarter into the Tempest machine in the game room of my undergraduate school (RPI) in 1981-1982. I also met someone who turned out to be a very dear friend at the Tempest machine. I've seen some online simulations, but it just isn't the same without the rotating controller.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Linear Gnome wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:46 pm
This clue brought a big smile to my face. I fed many a quarter into the Tempest machine in the game room of my undergraduate school (RPI) in 1981-1982. I also met someone who turned out to be a very dear friend at the Tempest machine. I've seen some online simulations, but it just isn't the same without the rotating controller.
Agreed. The controller is a must. I was mostly in high school during the time I fed quarters to Tempest. It was my preferred game at the arcade for a while. I only played other games--Pac Man, Asteroids, Galaga, Galaxian, Centipede, etc.--where Tempest wasn't available.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:01 pm
davey wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:16 pm
I was going to say Othello off the Shakespeare TOM, then I realized a board game wouldn't need a rotating dial controller and changed to Tempest. My first exposure to the game was a Mac clone called Arashi on my friend's computer in the late '90s, and then a few years later I randomly discovered an arcade cabinet of the original Atari game, which is where I learned its name. (I can't remember where it was beyond being in a non-arcade place of business, I think somewhere in Pasadena.)
I thought of Othello first too, but never made the Tempest connection. In retrospect, I think the clue might have been invalid. The video game is Tempest, but the play is The Tempest.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

34 right.

French Off the Boat (5), Legalese (1), Facts & Figures (3), The State-ly College (4), Literary Words & Phrases (3), Pop Culture Alphabet (3)
Arcade (2), Frogger (2), Joust (2), Contra (4), Burger Time (3), Missal Command (2)

Lach Trash: Delaware, Fort Caroline, breakaway

I remember the moon significantly from watching one of the movie versions, so it was a quick get for me.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 44,200
49 R/0 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :oops:
LT: Delaware, breakaway, Tempest, Dance Dance Revolution, Gloria

Although A Midsummer Night's Dream has come up several times recently in various contexts, it didn't come to me during this FJ! Instead, Twelfth Night came to me immediately. I spent the next 15-20 seconds trying to come up with another Shakespeare joint with "Night" in the title or a character named for/associated with the moon, but none was forthcoming, so I locked in my response with pretty decent confidence. Thus ends my streak of 18 straight.

Good Pavlovs tonight:
Du Pont = Delaware
Malory = Le Morte D'Arthur
Thanatos = death
Sprinkles are for winners.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

31,800 coryat. Instaget final.

Atari's Tempest and its 1994 update for the Atari Jaguar, Tempest 2000, are among the greatest video games ever made. The original Tempest arcade cabinets used vector monitors that drew the image on the screen using an electron beam instead of raster scan lines. Only a few games, mostly produced by Atari (Asteroids, Major Havoc, Star Wars, Battlezone, etc.) and Sega (Tac/Scan, Eliminator, Star Trek, etc.), used the technology back in the day and they're slowly dying out as time passes.
I would prefer not to.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

AVOID SPIKES