Jeopardy on Netflix

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

leszekp
Loyal Jeopardista

Jeopardy on Netflix

Post by leszekp »

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Jeopardy on Netflix

Post by seaborgium »

Sources say Netflix's 45 episodes are a subset of the 60 that are already available on Hulu, meaning those episodes are now available to stream on both rival platforms.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live- ... lu-1156077
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Thanks for the info.

I checked, and what I have on my Canadian Netflix now are Colby Burnett and Ben Ingram's TOCs along with the BoD tournament. I'd assume it's the same for the US version as well.
mikebdoss
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mikebdoss »

Only 45 episodes, all older. The show has ~230 episodes a year.

We're still all stuck without a legit/legal streaming method, because of syndication agreements.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I think it’s going to be a very long while, if ever, before this changes. I would guess that five years from now there will still be no legal way to watch current episodes on a daily basis other than through local stations. However, the fact that they are able to sell these tournament episodes to Hulu and Netflix feels like it opens the possibility that somewhere down the line they could put more episodes on the services.

Say they decided to throw up all of seasons one through five, I’m sure nothing in the syndication agreements for episodes that aired 30+ years ago would prevent them from doing so. It seems unlikely that there would be a great interest in them are but you never know until you try, right?

It could conceivably be a godsend for those who strive to complete the Archive. They used to air some old seasons on GSN but that has gone by the wayside in recent years, Maybe they’ll take a shot with some of the new media platforms that are out there and see if “old jeopardy!” catches on…
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Then again the large numbers of audio daily doubles in the early seasons may mean that none of those episodes ever see the light of day due to music licensing fees.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:35 pm Then again the large numbers of audio daily doubles in the early seasons may mean that none of those episodes ever see the light of day due to music licensing fees.
Could a Sony "house band" re-record the songs to get around that issue?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:32 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:35 pm Then again the large numbers of audio daily doubles in the early seasons may mean that none of those episodes ever see the light of day due to music licensing fees.
You'd still have to pay cover licencing which, while cheaper, still isn't free.
Depending on the length of the clip, there's always the fair use argument...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Volante wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:51 pm
Bamaman wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:32 pm
You'd still have to pay cover licencing which, while cheaper, still isn't free.
Depending on the length of the clip, there's always the fair use argument...
Yeah, but "fair use" is kind of like obscenity...
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

In terms of threads:

This might not be a bad one for 2018 discussion of these older episodes.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

2013 ToC Quarterfinal Game 1

Crossword Clues "J" $1200: Old cruddy car (6)

Answer: What is Junker?

Would they have accepted Jalopy?
Douglas Squasoni
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:35 pm 2013 ToC Quarterfinal Game 1

Crossword Clues "J" $1200: Old cruddy car (6)

Answer: What is Junker?

Would they have accepted Jalopy?
Certainly. Probably the expected response, actually.
SteelyPat
Contributor

Post by SteelyPat »

Sorry to necro a thread, but what exactly is stopping them from putting the entirety of jeopardy on Netflix or another streaming platform. The rights issues for Audio/Video clips are a thing but I think we're rational enough to accept that some episodes may have clues that are altered or not shown due to rights issues and power through anyway.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

SteelyPat wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:44 am The rights issues for Audio/Video clips are a thing.
I think they're more of a thing than you think. I'm trying to think of the last time I saw a game with zero video clues. It's also a lot easier to clear a small number of episodes than is to clear nearly 8,000.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:26 pm
SteelyPat wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:44 am The rights issues for Audio/Video clips are a thing.
I think they're more of a thing than you think. I'm trying to think of the last time I saw a game with zero video clues. It's also a lot easier to clear a small number of episodes than is to clear nearly 8,000.
Well, I'm sure Sony could do it if Netflix or another streaming service were to pay for it. If lots of people watch J! on Netflix in this limited release, then I'm sure the negotiation will begin to see how many episodes they can stream at what price.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

If every season and episode ever suddenly went online, I don't think I'd ever leave my chair.

For real though, I think it would be a dream to a lot of us on here. Unfortunately I think the chances are very low for that happening, but one can dream.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

When Netflix put up the batch of season premieres in 2019, which seasons were unrepresented?
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:56 pm When Netflix put up the batch of season premieres in 2019, which seasons were unrepresented?
They had the second pilot instead of the Season 1 Premiere, which reran on July 20 of this year and is on the Jeopardy! DVD and they had all of the premieres from Seasons 2-32.
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

As of July 29, 2021, Jeopardy! is no longer available on Netflix. The most recent episodes were only available for two months.