What if they changed the tournament format so that the last-place finisher in the first day of the finals is eliminated?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: What if they changed the tournament format so that the last-place finisher in the first day of the finals is elimina

Post by jeff6286 »

I think the show has three podiums and America is used to seeing all of them occupied. I don’t see this ever happening. Could they? Sure. It wouldn’t make for a drastically different second game. The odds would point to a couple more triple stumpers without the third player to pick up clues, but by and large it would be the same game.

The biggest change would be in Day 1 wagering strategy, each player would have a much clearer goal to do everything they can to stay out of third place.
MarkBarrett

Re: What if they changed the tournament format so that the last-place finisher in the first day of the finals is elimina

Post by MarkBarrett »

Vijay vs. Sg - Bye Jason Zollinger
Roger Craig vs. Tom Nissley - Bye Buddy
Colby vs. Whitener - Bye Kristin
Ben vs. Chu - Bye Julia
Alex Jacob vs. Kerry Greene - better luck next time Matt Jackson
Alan Lin vs. Austin - Bye Buzzy!

Uh, yeah, like, sure, that works for the powers and viewers.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I don't know if this thread is a coincidence, but I just mentioned this option the other day as a "knock-out" format. I've only been a regular watcher a couple of years, but I've learned that the first day of finals is kind of a slog. The show is still enjoyable for the trivia nuggets, so I didn't notice it until I started watching the show as a contest.

I think this change (or something similar) would elevate Day 1 by a bunch. The quarters and semis of a big track meet are a snooze unless you watch the 2nd through 4th competitors trying to get advance to the next round (where they then get eaten up by their betters).

I wouldn't necessarily carry over the winnings, but I think that element can remain. There will be more money for two players on Day 2 and a better chance to catch up as well. The optics of the empty podium are just fine.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

It's an interesting idea and I'm not exactly sure how to feel about it. But if I had to choose, I'd stick with the current format.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

No.
Douglas Squasoni
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:50 pm No.
This is why we need a "like" button.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

If they instituted such a rule, we would never again have to hear Alex's inevitable line that quite often the person who finishes third on the first day of a two-day final ends up winning.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

floridagator wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:24 am If they instituted such a rule, we would never again have to hear Alex's inevitable line that quite often the person who finishes third on the first day of a two-day final ends up winning.
anyone care to take the time to find out how many times this did happen?

I'm for a big no on the idea of an elimination on day 1
Total game show career losings = $171,522
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Well TPTB currently have Tuesday's contestant lineup as all mystery people while every other day is filled in, so maybe they already started doing this with this year's Teen Tournament!
GoodStrategy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by GoodStrategy »

This idea has been tried in another way previously. On the 1978-79 Art Fleming revival, at the end of the J! round the third-place player was eliminated and the DJ! round had only two players. At the end of the second round the second-place player was eliminated with the winner playing the "Super Jeopardy!" bonus round (there was no FJ! on this version).
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:35 am
floridagator wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:24 am If they instituted such a rule, we would never again have to hear Alex's inevitable line that quite often the person who finishes third on the first day of a two-day final ends up winning.
anyone care to take the time to find out how many times this did happen?
I did that a couple years ago and submitted my list to The Jeopardy Fan: https://thejeopardyfan.com/2016/11/comi ... ament.html (A few tournaments have happened since then, including Buzzy's comeback from $0, which isn't listed there.) My theory has been that after Bob Verini and Mark Lowenthal won back-to-back ToCs in third-place comebacks, it became cemented in Alex's mind as a regular occurrence.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Let's just chalk this up to a really bad idea caused by the anticipation of turkey. Or something.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Here's my take: I'm not a fan of when only two people remain for FJ due to a negative score by the third contestant, so I'm extrapolating from that to infer that a two person tournament finale would also be less entertaining.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

I will say that there are a few reasons why I don't think this would be an ideal change for the show to make.

But I will give OP credit for suggesting one of the more unique ideas I've seen in my time in this community.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:05 pm I will say that there are a few reasons why I don't think this would be an ideal change for the show to make.

But I will give OP credit for suggesting one of the more unique ideas I've seen in my time in this community.
Agreed.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Saturnalia wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:06 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:05 pm I will say that there are a few reasons why I don't think this would be an ideal change for the show to make.

Agreed.
Yes, thanks OP ;) .

I'm preparing to watch the DVD first day final and will try to watch it with a parallel universe approach where it would get more or less interesting/exciting. I am looking forward to the girls and just hope they don't make unforced errors.

One downside on the knockout format is the fact we see bad betting as it is, and it might not get interesting until the final anyway.

The strong negatives surprise me a little since boardies have seen so many more complete tournaments. I'd think you'd want a better dynamic for Day 1, but admittedly we want to pull for our favorite even when they get buried. (Spoken like a Chiefs fan). I just don't think the present Day 1 thing will grow on me - it's like watching the practice round at a golf tourney or the compulsory figures in figger skating.

If they want to treat this as a one hour final with four boards, they could at least let them bet Day 1 money in DD's and FJ. This Finalus Interruptus format is just anti-climactic (all the puns intended:).

Now close the laptop to avoid spoiler. Oh yeah, no winner today :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:44 pm If they want to treat this as a one hour final with four boards, they could at least let them bet Day 1 money in DD's and FJ.
Interesting. Maybe Day 2 would be the Triple Jeopardy and Quadruple Jeopardy rounds. Clue values from $800 to $4000 in TJ and $1600 to $8000 in QJ.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:50 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:44 pm If they want to treat this as a one hour final with four boards, they could at least let them bet Day 1 money in DD's and FJ.
Interesting. Maybe Day 2 would be the Triple Jeopardy and Quadruple Jeopardy rounds. Clue values from $800 to $4000 in TJ and $1600 to $8000 in QJ.
Ooh, powers of 2 as the multipliers instead of 3 and 4?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:59 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:50 am
Ooh, powers of 2 as the multipliers instead of 3 and 4?
Well, hey, if we're doing that, let's make the Final match go for a whole week of shows. Of course each round would have to be more difficult than the previous one. I'll take SWAHILI NEUROSCIENCE TERMS for $5,120,000, Alex.