Tuesday, December 4, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Tuesday, December 4, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Saturnalia »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:45 pm
Specifically negbaity for Dave's wrong response of Alzheimer's? That was definitely a good guess. I'm not sure if it rises to the level of negbait. But I've seen the film version of Wit with Emma Thompson. (We dated briefly. Long story.) So I knew the correct response and wasn't in a position to be baited. I did wonder whether they would have accepted just "cancer". It's possible Tiffany torpedoed herself with over-specificity. I definitely would have started with "What is cancer?" since I was only 90% on the ovarian part.
I negged with Alzheimer's, too. I guess the question here is whether one is expected to know the play or to infer the answer from context clues. If the former, not negbait; if the latter, negbait. Of course, many, many Jeopardy clues fall somewhere in between these two poles...
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

econgator wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:54 pm I thought that "Wit" clue was quite negbaity.
Specifically negbaity for Dave's wrong response of Alzheimer's?
For that, yes. Was my guess, too.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

9021amyers wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:00 pm
acthomas wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:41 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:07 pm The FJ! clue was a no huddle snap for processing and writing to be done before the music. I was prepared to do a 32-team speed round in 30 seconds if necessary as I spent the break making sure I could instantly recall the teams in their 4-team division blocks. Nope, not necessary.
I got it down quickly to "pirate team" ... and then wondered seriously if it's something the Raiders might do with their pirate aesthetic.

Then figured that said team in black and white has other less colorful historical gimmicks (unless you count black and blue).
The Buccaneers are the fun, swashbuckling pirates; the Raiders are gritty TV reboot space pirates.
They even have a cannon! (If you can't be good, at least be fun. Lookin at you, Marlins...)

I could not get Sydney out of my head for the London clue, considering they have the same street paint...
sydney1 124.jpg
sydney1 124.jpg (112.21 KiB) Viewed 3685 times
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Volante wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:33 pm I could not get Sydney out of my head for the London clue, considering they have the same street paint...
The first thing that came to my mind was Dublin, because I spent a long weekend there six years ago. I'm guessing that it would have to be an alternative correct answer--I don't think it contradicts anything in the clue other than that specific picture not being taken there.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Another good game by Dave, though comparisons to Frank S are premature IMO. His challengers did him a big favor by making way too many guesses. FJ was an instaget.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:07 pm Did anyone take a music shortcut for the FJ! clue with “parrot” to “Parrothead” to Buffett to FL? That was the kind of thing in my head to entertain myself during think time.
Talk about negbait. A Parrothead would remember that JB was part owner of the Dolphins a few years back.
OCSam
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

DBear wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:54 pm Remember the old orange and cream uniforms? They did not inspire fear in their opponents. Laughter, maybe...
The problem wasn't those uniforms, the problem was their performance for most of the seasons they were in those uniforms.

Their current uniforms really aren't much better, particularly the numbers, which look like they came from a clock radio.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I got today's FJ wrong, for the simple fact that I am not a follower of sports, can't recall a lot of the team names in any of the leagues, and Buckaneers did not come to mind.

I said Steelers, just knowing they used to be called the Pirates. So I thought it sounded good.

Congrats to Dave on win # 2. Good luck tomorrow.
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

JayK33 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:55 am I got today's FJ wrong, for the simple fact that I am not a follower of sports, can't recall a lot of the team names in any of the leagues, and Buckaneers did not come to mind.

I said Steelers, just knowing they used to be called the Pirates. So I thought it sounded good.

Congrats to Dave on win # 2. Good luck tomorrow.
weird...you knew that the pittsburgh steelers were called the pirates in the 30s, but couldn't come up with tampa bay buccaneers? i consider sports my wheelhouse area and i never knew the steelers were originally called the pirates
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

For FJ, my inner dialogue went something like this:
Pirates!
There are no Pirates in the NFL.
Are you sure?
Pretty sure, yes. There's a baseball team. Not football.
Yes! The baseball team is from somewhere in Pennsylvania. And the corresponding football team is... the Philadelphia?...
Eagles.
Oh. Those are not the same as Pirates.
No.
Unless they are piratical eagles?
Shut up. Think of something similar to pirates.
Similar to pirates...similar to pirates... The BUCANEE... (and time is up)
Teems with quiet fun.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Alexander did not seem to be enjoying himself, and Alex's good-natured ribbing of the contestants did not help.

Got FJ without considering any other teams.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

heppm01 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:47 am Alexander did not seem to be enjoying himself, and Alex's good-natured ribbing of the contestants did not help.

I thought Alexander was just frustrated with himself with missing some easy ones. Alex’s comments were a little too snippy and not particularly nice; maybe his shorts were a little too tight that day or something.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:05 am
heppm01 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:47 am Alexander did not seem to be enjoying himself, and Alex's good-natured ribbing of the contestants did not help.

I thought Alexander was just frustrated with himself with missing some easy ones. Alex’s comments were a little too snippy and not particularly nice; maybe his shorts were a little too tight that day or something.
I think Alex's body language showed he was palpably frustrated with the wrong answers, just like the contestants. It must have been a tough clicker battle early, poor Tiffany finally got a shot and had no clue on the Wit question. Alex clearly is rooting for the comebacks and for the contestant to save face. Even Dave got in on the wild guessing game, but he had the cushion to do it with.

Twelvefootgirl is just a bystander NFL fan and couldn't make the parrot to pirate to buccaneer connection by the transitive property. If they weren't such an irrelevant team, it would have helped (the irony of a Chiefs fan and our 51 year SB drought:).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:07 pm The FJ! clue was a no huddle snap for processing and writing to be done before the music. I was prepared to do a 32-team speed round in 30 seconds if necessary as I spent the break making sure I could instantly recall the teams in their 4-team division blocks. Nope, not necessary.
I got it down quickly to "pirate team" ... and then wondered seriously if it's something the Raiders might do with their pirate aesthetic.

Then figured that said team in black and white has other less colorful historical gimmicks (unless you count black and blue).
I also immediately thought of both Bucs and Raiders, and even now (the next day) I can't think why the Raiders might not have been the correct answer. I mean, uh, except for the fact that they weren't, but...if you're just trying to suss it out rather than actually knowing that factoid (which was probably most of us), it could be either. I guessed right, but for the 99.9% of folks who wouldn't Know-know this, this had to come down to "take a flying guess which of two teams this was." I'm not fond of clues like that.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

trainman wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:24 am
DBear wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:54 pm Remember the old orange and cream uniforms? They did not inspire fear in their opponents. Laughter, maybe...
The problem wasn't those uniforms, the problem was their performance for most of the seasons they were in those uniforms.
Possibly apocryphal, but based on those performances, then-coach John Mckay is reported to have responded to a post-game interview after a particularly dreadful day thusly:

"Anything to say about the team's execution, Coach?"
"After today, I could be in favor of it."
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
davey

Post by davey »

John Boy wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:42 pm

I also immediately thought of both Bucs and Raiders, and even now (the next day) I can't think why the Raiders might not have been the correct answer. I mean, uh, except for the fact that they weren't, but...if you're just trying to suss it out rather than actually knowing that factoid (which was probably most of us), it could be either. I guessed right, but for the 99.9% of folks who wouldn't Know-know this, this had to come down to "take a flying guess which of two teams this was." I'm not fond of clues like that.
This may be simplifying, but I think of raiders doing their business on land. A buccaneer is definitely at sea and I associate parrots with sea pirates.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

53 R (Only missing the bottom two in Blank News and Female Playwrights $800)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Henry Fonda and Jimmy Stewart, Early, Aruba, Week, Bluetooth, The Heidi Chronicles, The Red Dragon, Ke$ha, Bruno Mars
Douglas Squasoni
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Saturnalia wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:27 pm
Specifically negbaity for Dave's wrong response of Alzheimer's? That was definitely a good guess. I'm not sure if it rises to the level of negbait. But I've seen the film version of Wit with Emma Thompson. (We dated briefly. Long story.) So I knew the correct response and wasn't in a position to be baited. I did wonder whether they would have accepted just "cancer". It's possible Tiffany torpedoed herself with over-specificity. I definitely would have started with "What is cancer?" since I was only 90% on the ovarian part.
I negged with Alzheimer's, too. I guess the question here is whether one is expected to know the play or to infer the answer from context clues. If the former, not negbait; if the latter, negbait. Of course, many, many Jeopardy clues fall somewhere in between these two poles...
I was going to WAG Alzheimer's, but couldn't remember what it's called.
doriko
Contributor

Post by doriko »

opusthepenguin wrote :
I've seen the film version of Wit with Emma Thompson. (We dated briefly. Long story.)
Hello? Is this an inside joke I'm missing? If not, that's a long story I'd very interested in hearing. Or herring.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

doriko wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:08 pm
opusthepenguin wrote :
I've seen the film version of Wit with Emma Thompson. (We dated briefly. Long story.)
Hello? Is this an inside joke I'm missing? If not, that's a long story I'd very interested in hearing. Or herring.
Just a joke. "I've seen the film version of Wit with Emma Thompson" could mean: 1) I've seen the film version in which Emma Thompson played the main character or 2) I went with Emma to see that movie. I naturally intended meaning 1 but, as a goof, pretended meaning 2 was the correct interpretation.