Thursday, December 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, December 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by billiej »

DBear wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:46 pm "mistakenly called an Arab land" is Pavlovian for Iran
TIL....and this is why I watch J! and read these boards! Said Egypt just to have something. :oops:
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

billiej wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:15 am
DBear wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:46 pm "mistakenly called an Arab land" is Pavlovian for Iran
TIL....and this is why I watch J! and read these boards! Said Egypt just to have something. :oops:
I'm going to disagree with that being Pavlovian. I agree that Iran is a go-to on "mistakenly called an Arab land", but I think Turkey would fit that characterization as well (and equally).
billiej

Post by billiej »

alietr wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:49 am
I'm going to disagree with that being Pavlovian. I agree that Iran is a go-to on "mistakenly called an Arab land", but I think Turkey would fit that characterization as well (and equally).
When I first saw someone here guessing Turkey, I said to myself, "Oh yeah, that's a much better guess." :lol:
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

billiej wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:33 am
alietr wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:49 am
When I first saw someone here guessing Turkey, I said to myself, "Oh yeah, that's a much better guess." :lol:
I'll confess to guessing Turkey on FJ. I would say that pre-Khashoggi, I would almost certainly have said Iran instead, but Turkey was too much in mind.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:52 am
OrangeSAM wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:24 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:31 am That was one ugly J! round as the players were slow to get untracked.
Given my previous post in this thread, perhaps I shouldn't make this comment.

To me, "untracked" is a negative thing, as in "derailed". Perhaps you meant "on track". Or perhaps the language is changing again without my knowledge or permission. ;)
I think Mark's usage was correct. You see that in sports stories all the time, e.g. "The Lakers couldn't get untracked until late in the game..."
I've never heard "untracked" and definitely would have used "on track" instead. Maybe this is a regional thing?
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Foretopman wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:48 pm I"m kinda with TPH on the dwarfs clue. If you've never seen the clock, is there any reason to pick one dwarf over any other?
None that I'm aware of. Seems to me if you haven't seen the clock, it's just a random 1-in-7 guess. No logical reason it should be one and not any other.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I'm with you. A lot of people think Iran is Arabic but it's really not?? Well, I also learned something today. And I also said Egypt, also pretty much just to have something.

However, I DO know that Lincoln was our 16th president. So there's that.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

OrangeSAM wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:13 am
Jasper wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:52 pm Dave Leffler's response "What is Daylight Savings Time?" is grammatically ambiguous. It is more properly Daylight Saving Time or Daylight Time.

The late William Safire, who at the time wrote the NY Times column On Language, addressed this in 1986: https://www.nytimes.com/1986/04/27/maga ... -come.html.
Well, B.S. be damned. The language is gonna go the way it's gonna go. In this case, it's gone both ways. What a language!
Cue DFW Tense Present :mrgreen:
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

49 R
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: 15th Century, 14th Century, Dopey, One, Tiny Archibald, Villa, Groundbreaking, Karakorum, Becky Sharpe

Only missed DD#1, the Brendan Behan quote(Which does sound familiar.), and Hoops $400 and $800.

Would have definitely got the remaining clues in Artist Museums and Mountain Range.

Possibly would have gotten all the remaining clues in around L. A.
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

John Boy wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:22 pm
Foretopman wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:48 pm I"m kinda with TPH on the dwarfs clue. If you've never seen the clock, is there any reason to pick one dwarf over any other?
None that I'm aware of. Seems to me if you haven't seen the clock, it's just a random 1-in-7 guess. No logical reason it should be one and not any other.
One is decidedly more whimsical (and, judging by non-beardedness, younger) than the rest.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:58 pm
One is decidedly more whimsical (and, judging by non-beardedness, younger) than the rest.
Exactly. The only other logical possibility - as logical as one can be when talking about fiction - would be Happy, or maybe Doc. Both seem a bit too mature, particularly concerning the more obvious choice.

It probably wouldn't have been a good FJ clue, but for anything else, it's a pretty good one.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:33 pm
seaborgium wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:58 pm
Exactly. The only other logical possibility - as logical as one can be when talking about fiction - would be Happy, or maybe Doc. Both seem a bit too mature, particularly concerning the more obvious choice.
I guessed Sleepy because I could picture him on top of the pendulum being rocked to sleep. I wouldn't have buzzed in on this one.