FJs for the 12/3/18 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 12/3/18 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:50 pm

Last name of John, Daniel, Elisha & Edward, whose firm turned 200 in 2018 & has dressed 40 U.S. presidents
71%
For the 2018 draft this team tried to use a parrot to make a pick; the bird got stage fright
83%
In 1999 the U.S. government was ordered to pay his family $16 million for less than 30 seconds of film
84%
An Arab League summit final statement rejected "interference" by this country often mistakenly called an Arab land itself
50%
In Act I of this opera, a messenger says, “barbarous Ethiopians” have invaded & “are already marching on Thebes”
82%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
28%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
2%
BLANK NEWS $200: It airs every Sunday morning on ABC: "This ____"
61%
IF YOU'VE GOT THE TIME...$400: Disney's Seven Dwarfs pendulum clock features him swinging from the pendulum above his 6 pals
46%
LITERARY CADS $2000: In "Vanity Fair", Osborne is all ready to leave his new wife Amelia for this woman when war gets in the way
29%
Brooks Brothers was not a name I was familiar with for the Monday FJ! clue.
6%
I missed the Tuesday FJ! clue guessing the Raiders or Pirates.
4%
Even if the Wednesday FJ! clue had spelled out to name the guy who filmed JFK shot I still may have missed it.
7%
I had Zapruder for the Wednesday clue, but messed up or would have messed up the spelling.
2%
Turkey was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
12%
I did not know Thebes led to Egypt for the Friday FJ! clue.
11%

Total votes: 109

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 12/3/18 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

12/3 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN BUSINESS

12/3 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Last name of John, Daniel, Elisha & Edward, whose firm turned 200 in 2018 & has dressed 40 U.S. presidents

12/4 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE NFL

12/4 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
For the 2018 draft this team tried to use a parrot to make a pick; the bird got stage fright

12/5 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NAMES IN AMERICAN HISTORY

12/5 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1999 the U.S. government was ordered to pay his family $16 million for less than 30 seconds of film

12/6 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD AFFAIRS 2018

12/6 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
An Arab League summit final statement rejected "interference" by this country often mistakenly called an Arab land itself

12/7 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
OPERA

12/7 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In Act I of this opera, a messenger says, “barbarous Ethiopians” have invaded & “are already marching on Thebes”

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Brooks
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Abraham Zapruder
Iran
Aida
The players were 10/15 (66.67%) with a 2-2-2-2-2 success pattern.

The extra clues have two requested triple stumpers followed by a third triple stumper.

BLANK NEWS $200: It airs every Sunday morning on ABC: "This ____"

IF YOU'VE GOT THE TIME...$400: Disney's Seven Dwarfs pendulum clock features him swinging from the pendulum above his 6 pals

LITERARY CADS $2000: In "Vanity Fair", Osborne is all ready to leave his new wife Amelia for this woman when war gets in the way

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Week
Dopey
Becky Sharp
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Re: FJs for the 12/3/18 week

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:oops: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I've seen the ABC news show, but blanked on filling in the blank.

Dopey was an easy guess as with no extra information to specify a different dwarf it's always going to be Dopey. No, I have not seen the clock previously. It's not necessary. It's going to be Dopey. Of course it's Dopey. It's a 1/1 chance and nowhere near a 1 in 7.

Syria
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

May be the first time that I have only checked 3 total boxes on a poll.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(
:( :mrgreen: :(

Thu - Israel
Fri - Thebes -> Greece -> ...Otello?

I checked the box for Thebes != Egypt, but only because of the second part of the criteria. I imagine if it was an LL clue, I'd at least make both connections if not actually get it right.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Brooks Brothers is a name stored deep in the back of my mind that wasn't going to come up in thirty years, let alone thirty seconds. Said Armani, despite me correctly assuming (Giorgio) Armani is Italian, because that's the only name in men's fashion I did come up with.

The two dwarfs I couldn't name in time were the two I might have guessed with: Happy and Dopey.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:oops: :( :mrgreen:
Not real thrilled that TPH gets to pick the extras this week...
I know the name of the ABC program - I got momentarily confused that they were talking about the weekday program, which GS also hosts (and I know that's not This Morning, either...!)...didn't hazard a guess on the dwarf....
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Becky Thatcher <> Becky Sharp
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

davey wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:13 pm :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I know the name of the ABC program - I got momentarily confused that they were talking about the weekday program, which GS also hosts (and I know that's not This Morning, either...!)...didn't hazard a guess on the dwarf....
TPH asked and I met the request. Certainly if there had been four requests he would only get one. If things ever got request crazy then I could put a weekly or monthly limit in place for any one person. As is I saw no harm in honoring both asks.

Nice job on the 5/5 and it's fine for you or anyone else to increase their odds of an 8-smiley week by requesting a reasonable clue for one of the extras.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Yet another zero for me. No recognition on Brooks Brothers.

I knew Zapruder cold, but "film" had me stuck in the movies.
davey

Post by davey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:31 pm
davey wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:13 pm :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
TPH asked and I met the request. Certainly if there had been four requests he would only get one. If things ever got request crazy then I could put a weekly or monthly limit in place for any one person. As is I saw no harm in honoring both asks.

Nice job on the 5/5 and it's fine for you or anyone else to increase their odds of an 8-smiley week by requesting a reasonable clue for one of the extras.
I should have put a smiley next to my statement...I prefer when you choose them - I like the weekly element of surprise. Thanks for Becky Sharp!
Of course what really bothered me was that I missed an easy one, and knowing that I would be confessing my shame this weekend...Seriously, the clock clue was a good choice; filling in the title for a network TV program that's been on the air for 27 years??
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

davey wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:52 pm

I should have put a smiley next to my statement...I prefer when you choose them - I like the weekly element of surprise. Thanks for Becky Sharp!
Of course what really bothered me was that I missed an easy one, and knowing that I would be confessing my shame this weekend...Seriously, the clock clue was a good choice; filling in the title for a network TV program that's been on the air for 27 years??
A network TV program that's only got a ~50% get rate so far...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:57 pm
davey wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:52 pm

A network TV program that's only got a ~50% get rate so far...
I judge it less on its level of difficulty than on its mundanity...
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:mrgreen: :?: :(
spoilered on the Seven Dwarves clue. No vote.
No way I was getting the Vanity Fair clue.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: and.......... :(
:( :( :(

After the box of shame last week, there was no more suspense after the friday category (opera) was revealed, just 4 minutes of fast forwarding, a pause, then the 30 second jump button on the DVR. I've heard of Aida, would have been 50/50 guess at being an opera or a ballet. Yes, I'm that clueless.

The Brooks Brothers clue was a clever little "Aha" moment. If I did the math right, they dressed every president since #4 Madison (ended term 1817)? 45(trump) - 4 - double dip by Cleveland (22,24) = 40. What a lock on the POTUS luster!

Even Adidas wins one from Nike now and then. And now Titleist is getting their ass kicked on the PGA :lol: . If the Brooks Brothers string would have been broken, my money would be by Jimmy Carter in a pair of Key overalls!

So, I thought I learned that Arab Nations must be those that speak Arabic. It seems more like they are members of the Arab League, which is just a political decision by the club members. I thought I knew that it would be nations on the Arab peninsula, but what about North Africa?

Does someone have a clean definition of Arab nationhood suitable for Jeopardy clue writing? In the case of this FJ, it is pinned as a 2018 news event, so the TOM demands that you suspend disbelief in the geography definition and revert to a language one, or possibly the cultural one.

I usually don't pay enough attention to the gameplay to score the extra clues, but this set is a definite CLAM for me. I like Mark Barrett's approach to question selection for the extra clues. People nominate them, he picks them if they are likely to be interesting.
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:51 pm Dopey was an easy guess as with no extra information to specify a different dwarf it's always going to be Dopey. No, I have not seen the clock previously. It's not necessary. It's going to be Dopey. Of course it's Dopey. It's a 1/1 chance and nowhere near a 1 in 7.
My wife got Dopey right away, but personally, I was thinking that any question that boils down to "Which of the 7 Dwarfs is different somehow?" is like 80% Dopey, 20% Doc.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

:mrgreen: :( :(

314235325(2/2,3/3TT)33(1/2TT,2/3)25, 41-24
SweepingDeveloper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by SweepingDeveloper »

On BLANK NEWS $200: Sort of a Sunday tradition before church; we flip to that right after CBS Sunday Morning, instaget.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

:( :mrgreen: :cry:

Third 5/5 week this season. All instagets.

This has to be at least the fourth time I've failed to recall the name Becky-freaking-Sharp! I'm beginning to think I'll just have to read the damn thing...
I would prefer not to.
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Did not grasp the parrot/pirate connection, so Bucs never occurred to me

Have owned Brooks Bros. clothing, so very familiar

Gave some consideration to Turkey on the Arab question but settled on Iran after factoring the Sunni Shia hostility.